• Hey guys, 
    Does this work for multiple files at once? Or do I need to connect each one individually?
  • Hey guys, 
    Does this work for multiple files at once? Or do I need to connect each one individually?
    Hi JD

Happy to say it works on multiple files so you can have them all selected and then hit find. It will ignore any files that aren't currently offline. 
  • Its a nice plugin (extension), but when you have to versions of footage in two different directories it takes the one that is in first folder alphabetically without asking user. This is a common situation when we get DPX sequences from color correction and the folder structure is:
    PROJECT_NAME:
    - YEAR/MONTH/DAY
    -- A001C002....dpx
    -YEAR/MONTH/DAY
    -- A001C002....dpx

DPXes are always the same name as Camera source, only difference is date(version) of color correction folder. In this situation it would be good if FileHunter could ask user "I have found two instances of missiong footage in two folders, which folder you want to use?"

I hope its anyhow clear :)
  • In trying to link layers of a PSD the script has linked all the layers and imported as a single merged file for each layer? 

I may have done something wrong but if the Script cannot distinguish layers of a PSD or AI file, then I would need to ask for a refund please, as it would become useless in my workflow.

Thanks
    Dave Byrne
  • In trying to link layers of a PSD the script has linked all the layers and imported as a single merged file for each layer? 

I may have done something wrong but if the Script cannot distinguish layers of a PSD or AI file, then I would need to ask for a refund please, as it would become useless in my workflow.

Thanks
    Dave Byrne
    Hi David

Thanks for your feedback, it's a great idea. We're currently looking into it but will process your refund in the meantime. 
  • Its a nice plugin (extension), but when you have to versions of footage in two different directories it takes the one that is in first folder alphabetically without asking user. This is a common situation when we get DPX sequences from color correction and the folder structure is:
    PROJECT_NAME:
    - YEAR/MONTH/DAY
    -- A001C002....dpx
    -YEAR/MONTH/DAY
    -- A001C002....dpx

DPXes are always the same name as Camera source, only difference is date(version) of color correction folder. In this situation it would be good if FileHunter could ask user "I have found two instances of missiong footage in two folders, which folder you want to use?"

I hope its anyhow clear :)
    Hi Pawel

Thanks for the feedback. Right now our library searches your file system using a depth first databse algorithm, when it finds the file it's looking for based on name (we can't use anything else due to the limitations of After Effects), it stops the search and tells AE what the link is. 
    Unfortunately if we were to implement a system in which it searches for all instances it would mean the searching algorithm would take far longer, potentially exponentially longer depending on a few factors. Sorry about that.
  • In CC 2017.2 the extension installs fine but it's just an empty window when I open it. Is that a limitation of the trial? There's no button to find or "search depth". Is it not compatible with 2017?
  • In CC 2017.2 the extension installs fine but it's just an empty window when I open it. Is that a limitation of the trial? There's no button to find or "search depth". Is it not compatible with 2017?
    Hi Bryan

Is anything coming up for you at all, or is it completely blank? It's compatible with CC2017. Sometimes on my windows machine it can take up to 10 seconds to load the panel UI, I'm not exactly sure why that is but we're looking into it. 
    Hi Bryan

Is anything coming up for you at all, or is it completely blank? It's compatible with CC2017. Sometimes on my windows machine it can take up to 10 seconds to load the panel UI, I'm not exactly sure why that is but we're looking into it. 
    No, nothing comes up at all. It's just a blank window titled "File Hunter", with the hamburger menu on the top left corner. I should have specified that I'm on a Mac running Sierra. I'm not sure if that matters, but it may help narrow it down.
  • Is it possible for this to work with Illustrator layers in the future? Relinking AI layers is such a pain if you rename a document, and you have to relink them one-by-one. Sometimes it's easier to re-import an AI document if you rename it. I tested the trial, but all layers got relinked to the same source layer from AI.
  • Bummer! Attempted install of this for After Effects CC 2019 and it says it's incompatible/cannot install. What's up with that? Claims to be compatible with CC 2019...
  • Is it possible for this to work with Illustrator layers in the future? Relinking AI layers is such a pain if you rename a document, and you have to relink them one-by-one. Sometimes it's easier to re-import an AI document if you rename it. I tested the trial, but all layers got relinked to the same source layer from AI.
    Hi David

Unfortunately that's not possible due to SDK limitations. We will request the adobe devs implement a method to do so and if so we'll definitely implement it. 
  • Hello, the script cannot find my missing PNG files (even though they are buried in the folder), also it cannot connect to check for updates. Might these things be related to each other? See screencap here: (https://i.imgur.com/U5hxwio.png)
  • Assume this cant be made compatible with CS6 as its  ZXP extension? Thanks!
  • Hello, the script cannot find my missing PNG files (even though they are buried in the folder), also it cannot connect to check for updates. Might these things be related to each other? See screencap here: (https://i.imgur.com/U5hxwio.png)
    Hi Joris

Did you have any luck updating? Another method is to use the ZXP manager instead of the auto-updater. Also could you please post a screenshot regarding it not finding the .png files? Thanks. 
  • Is there anyway the script can see different PSD layers and assign them accordingly? It loses the layers that AE is referencing inside, and instead connects them as 1 PSD footage file instead of broken out into layers.

• Is there anyway the script can see different PSD layers and assign them accordingly? It loses the layers that AE is referencing inside, and instead connects them as 1 PSD footage file instead of broken out into layers.

Hi Ryan

Unfortunately not as this is a limitation of the AE SDK :(
  • Hi, I am getting the error  - 
    unable to execute script at line 32.null is not an object. 

What can I do to solve this?

Thanks

Thanks
    I reported this error like a year ago and I still get it. I think I finally figured out why. Tried to post this in the "Report a bug" dialogue within the extention, but when you click "Open in browser, nothing happens" so the bug reporting functionality itself is a bug. 

Anyway, the "unable to execute script at line 32.null is not an object." error seems to happen when you connect footage with a hard drive, and when you reconnect the hard drive and its DRIVE LETTER changed from e.g. E:/ to F:/, then it throws this error. Within the same project giving me this error, I had a disconnected file on my C:/ drive, and the error didn't pop up. 

Actual Result:
    Script stops with error message "Unable to execute script at line 32. Null is not an object"

Expected Result:
    I expected the extension to work lol, i.e. open the explorer dialogue to select a folder to search inside. Basic.

Steps to Reproduce:
    Take a hard drive, and connect footage into after effects. Save project, etc. Close after effects. Disconnect hard drive and connect another hard drive or change the drive mounted letter, i.e. if it was E:/project/footage.mov, the drive should now be something like F:/project/footage.mov. For some reason, when it looks for the last place the footage was, and its not under the specific DRIVE letter from before, it throws this script error and prevents the god damn basic folder selection dialogue to help correct the script and where it may be searching. When the missing file was local, on my C: drive for example, then the dialogue pops up in the same project. This is infuriating, and the extension SHOULD work regardless of the drive letter, at least to allow me to show the file hunter the way to the new drive. 

• Hi,

when i click "Find" nothing happend... wasted $10? CC2019...

Thanks
    I reported this error like a year ago and I still get it. I think I finally figured out why. Tried to post this in the "Report a bug" dialogue within the extention, but when you click "Open in browser, nothing happens" so the bug reporting functionality itself is a bug. 

Anyway, the "unable to execute script at line 32.null is not an object." error seems to happen when you connect footage with a hard drive, and when you reconnect the hard drive and its DRIVE LETTER changed from e.g. E:/ to F:/, then it throws this error. Within the same project giving me this error, I had a disconnected file on my C:/ drive, and the error didn't pop up. 

Actual Result:
    Script stops with error message "Unable to execute script at line 32. Null is not an object"

Expected Result:
    I expected the extension to work lol, i.e. open the explorer dialogue to select a folder to search inside. Basic.

Steps to Reproduce:
    Take a hard drive, and connect footage into after effects. Save project, etc. Close after effects. Disconnect hard drive and connect another hard drive or change the drive mounted letter, i.e. if it was E:/project/footage.mov, the drive should now be something like F:/project/footage.mov. For some reason, when it looks for the last place the footage was, and its not under the specific DRIVE letter from before, it throws this script error and prevents the god damn basic folder selection dialogue to help correct the script and where it may be searching. When the missing file was local, on my C: drive for example, then the dialogue pops up in the same project. This is infuriating, and the extension SHOULD work regardless of the drive letter, at least to allow me to show the file hunter the way to the new drive. 

Also getting this error. Kind of frustrating if this is the cause as this is pretty much the reason I bought this plugin to begin with, I work on a lot of external drives and thought this would be a timesaver. Hmm.
  • Hi,

when i click "Find" nothing happend... wasted $10? CC2019...
    Hey Denis,

Sorry to hear you're having issues, could you please send either a screenshot or screencast of the steps leading up to the problem, that way we can solve it as fast as possible.

Kind regards,
    Matthew.
  • Rob Cox said:
    Hi, I am getting the error  - 

Thanks

Actual Result:

Expected Result:

Steps to Reproduce:

Also getting this error. Kind of frustrating if this is the cause as this is pretty much the reason I bought this plugin to begin with, I work on a lot of external drives and thought this would be a timesaver. Hmm.

Hi Rob,

I'm sorry to hear you're having troubles, not only are we looking into this, but FileHunter is getting a bit of a revamp being rebuilt from the ground up, so keep a look out for that as it should solve most of your problems.
  • Hello, I had good expectation for this one and would be very happy to buy it 10 $. 

I tried it and have "error on line 71" : please see the 2 screen captures. 

When I don't have "error line 71" it just CAN'T find anything, even when pointed to the right folder itself. 

AE 2019 up to date on Windows 10 up to date. 

Any help ? 

Thank you, 
    regards. 
  • Hello, I had good expectation for this one and would be very happy to buy it 10 $. 

I tried it and have "error on line 71" : please see the 2 screen captures. 

When I don't have "error line 71" it just CAN'T find anything, even when pointed to the right folder itself. 

AE 2019 up to date on Windows 10 up to date. 

Any help ? 

Thank you, 
    regards. 
    Hey Olivie, 

As LLoyd said if you could create a ticket that would allow us to get to you as soon as possible, in the mean time could you please send me the raw path to the correct file? 
    To elaborate I can see the path File Hunter is reading in the screenshots, but I can't see the actual path that windows sees to the file, if you could please send that, that would be incredibly helpful.

Kind regards,
    Matthew.
  • Hello, I tried to use this script, I found it does not support Chinese well, if the file path has Chinese characters, it can not search
  • itan xxx said:
    Hello, I tried to use this script, I found it does not support Chinese well, if the file path has Chinese characters, it can not search
    Hi Itan

Thanks for letting us know regarding Chinese characters, I'll put a notice on the product page.
  • IS there an issue with AE 2020 or Catalina? It installed ok but when I selected a folder to search, I got an OS message saying that MasterEsObject.framework couldnt be opened because the developer couldnt be verified. Any ideas?
  • Jason Cox said:
    IS there an issue with AE 2020 or Catalina? It installed ok but when I selected a folder to search, I got an OS message saying that MasterEsObject.framework couldnt be opened because the developer couldnt be verified. Any ideas?
    Hi Jason. Could you please try installing it from the aescripts manager app? It should definitely be working on Catalina and 2020. 
  • Hello! 

Is there a way to have it only look for similar filenames? For instance, the original files are .mov but I've been giving H264 as proxy. I don't want to have to relink each one manually. 

Thanks! 
  • hi, there's an issue in AE17.1.2
    never success find a file yet, it crash every time I hit find buttom.
    I'll keep testing!
  • Hi, so with AI files cant relink the exact layer? Even if AI hasnt been changed in anyway?
    Same question goes for PSDs.

Also a recommendation: I am looking for a functionality as c4d and "Tex" folder if u are familiar with. This means, there is a folder which i define and whatever i drop in there automatically relinks in AE. Would that be possible to be embedded in File Hunter?

Thanks
  • Quite possible the best ever plugin made for AE.. thanks
  • Broken in 17.1.4? 
  • Doesnt seem to work at all for me in 17.1.4, select the missing file in project panel , click find in the file hunter window, nothing happens.  
  • Doesnt seem to work at all for me in 17.1.4, select the missing file in project panel , click find in the file hunter window, nothing happens.  
    Hi Brody

Are you on OSX? If so, this is a known issue and we will have an update published very soon to address it.
  • the wayne said:
    Broken in 17.1.4? 
    Hi Wayne

Are you also on OSX? If so, this is a known issue and we will have an update published very soon to address it.
  • Downloaded the new version, that seemed to fix the issue of nothing happening when clicking the "Hunt" button. however the plugin still does not work for my needs. Im getting XMLs from editorial and need to relink lots of files that live in lots of different sub-directories of a main "Footage" folder. I was hoping this would be a simple solution but it doesnt seem to work for me. 

I get this message for every piece of footage I attempt to re-link:
    mainSource was not a FileSource object, unable to derive file info

so I never get to the Explorer window (I'm on Windows 10) where I can choose a directory to begin searching. 
  • Downloaded the new version, that seemed to fix the issue of nothing happening when clicking the "Hunt" button. however the plugin still does not work for my needs. Im getting XMLs from editorial and need to relink lots of files that live in lots of different sub-directories of a main "Footage" folder. I was hoping this would be a simple solution but it doesnt seem to work for me. 

I get this message for every piece of footage I attempt to re-link:
    mainSource was not a FileSource object, unable to derive file info

so I never get to the Explorer window (I'm on Windows 10) where I can choose a directory to begin searching. 
    Hey Brody. Sorry it's not working in your case, could you please contact me at [email protected] so we can attempt to find a solution?
  • Any updates on if relinking AI and PSD layers could be possible in a future version? The usefulness of the script is pretty limited without that.
  • Any updates on if relinking AI and PSD layers could be possible in a future version? The usefulness of the script is pretty limited without that.
    Hi Marc

Unfortunately not, unless adobe expose this functionality within the SDK. 
  • Hi there, 
    I am getting an error when trying to open the extension:

"unable to execute script at line 324. Object of type function found where a number, array, or property is needed.

Any ideas?
  • Script looks amazing! but unfortunately it's not working for me, when hunt the files the script is messing all the layers, unfortunately it's not working properply
  • Script looks amazing! but unfortunately it's not working for me, when hunt the files the script is messing all the layers, unfortunately it's not working properply
    Hi Pawel, are you relinking layered psd or ai files? Those won't relink correctly. If you're trying to relink others, please submit a support ticket so we can find a solution. 
  • hi, the same for me! :(
    (ae, file hunter, and osx on latest version)

Hi there, 

"unable to execute script at line 324. Object of type function found where a number, array, or property is needed.

Any ideas?

• hi, the same for me! :(
    (ae, file hunter, and osx on latest version)

Hi there, 

Any ideas?

Hi Valentin

We've just released an update regarding this issue. Please install and let me know if you have any issues (preferably via support ticket).
  • Hi there, 

Any ideas?
    Hi Christian

Have just released an update that should solve this issue, please install and let me know how you go.
  • Why does my FileHunter open with the Fly-out menu EVERY time i open AE?
    and then the
    Anonymous statistics questions blue ribbon after that as well.... 
  • the wayne said:
    Why does my FileHunter open with the Fly-out menu EVERY time i open AE?
    and then the
    Anonymous statistics questions blue ribbon after that as well.... 
    Hi Wayne

That's definitely not supposed to happen. Is File Hunter docked in the UI? If so and it still keeps doing the fly-out menu please submit a support ticket so we can investigate.