Character Tool
  • How does the functionality in this plugin compare to Rubber Hose 2 by BattleAxe and by the character rigging tools of Duik Bassel?
  • Hello,

I have question. Is there tapered strokes option?
    Thanks.  
  • Hi there!

I really was excited about this tool so I bought it right away. I am using After Effects Version 16.1.3 on my iMac. (macOS Mojave Version 10.14.6).
    When I try to use it (creating a new limb) I get all these expression errors. :( 
    Also when I try to add a new stroke to a current limb style. A new style is added in the FX control panel but it won't appear on the limb. The only thing appearing is an expression error. :( ...And so on. 
    I really know how tough it is to get a tool like this coded but it's very disappointing for me investing 30$ and nothing seems to work. Is there an update in the making? Thanks!
  • Does it work like Bodymovin?
  • Can you be clear? Does this have the ability to recognize elements created in Illustrator or Photoshop, or any pre-existing AE shape layers?  - or - Does every design have to be made from within Character Tool, in order for it to work? 

Other people must be wondering this, too. 

So... to use this, each element has to be drawn from scratch, within your script? 
    Yes or no, please.
    Rubberhose has their wonky script workaround - but if you don't have anything - getting into this would have the same practicality that mastering Ppro's Legacy Title Generator would.
  • Its not coming up in the windows scripts listing as a dockable item but i can access it if i place it in main scripts folder. i am on after effects cc 2019 v16.1.3 (build 5). The file write permission is on. Any idea if there is a clash with this version of after effects?
  • I suggest those of the development team of this script start answering questions that have been posted by current and future customers...I encourage people to open a support ticket and let Lloyd of aescripts know what is happening.  I understand the "mysterious" brain of a coder, and one thing within many that I understand is that so many of them need to take some courses in customer service relations.  Step outside the dungeon of mathematics and see there is a world out there to be explored, a world actually inhabited by humans who buy things--real humans who ask questions about things and interact with one another.
  • How does the functionality in this plugin compare to Rubber Hose 2 by BattleAxe and by the character rigging tools of Duik Bassel?
    What do you mean how? This script has no direct connection to Rubber Hose 2
  • Hello,

I have question. Is there tapered strokes option?
    Thanks.  
    For now - no, but we will add it in one of the future major updates
  • Hi there!

I really was excited about this tool so I bought it right away. I am using After Effects Version 16.1.3 on my iMac. (macOS Mojave Version 10.14.6).
    When I try to use it (creating a new limb) I get all these expression errors. :( 
    Also when I try to add a new stroke to a current limb style. A new style is added in the FX control panel but it won't appear on the limb. The only thing appearing is an expression error. :( ...And so on. 
    I really know how tough it is to get a tool like this coded but it's very disappointing for me investing 30$ and nothing seems to work. Is there an update in the making? Thanks!
    Hello! There was an update, which fix that issue
  • Does it work like Bodymovin?
    Do you mean with Bodymoving? 
  • Can you be clear? Does this have the ability to recognize elements created in Illustrator or Photoshop, or any pre-existing AE shape layers?  - or - Does every design have to be made from within Character Tool, in order for it to work? 

Other people must be wondering this, too. 

So... to use this, each element has to be drawn from scratch, within your script? 
    Yes or no, please.
    Rubberhose has their wonky script workaround - but if you don't have anything - getting into this would have the same practicality that mastering Ppro's Legacy Title Generator would.
    Hi! The script creates each limb from scratch. You can copy/past styles from one limb to another, but you can't apply it to existing layers.
  • Its not coming up in the windows scripts listing as a dockable item but i can access it if i place it in main scripts folder. i am on after effects cc 2019 v16.1.3 (build 5). The file write permission is on. Any idea if there is a clash with this version of after effects?
    It's very strange behaviour. If you still have it, please, open a support ticket and let's make it works.
  • I suggest those of the development team of this script start answering questions that have been posted by current and future customers...I encourage people to open a support ticket and let Lloyd of aescripts know what is happening.  I understand the "mysterious" brain of a coder, and one thing within many that I understand is that so many of them need to take some courses in customer service relations.  Step outside the dungeon of mathematics and see there is a world out there to be explored, a world actually inhabited by humans who buy things--real humans who ask questions about things and interact with one another.
    Hello! There is wasn't some evil intention in not answering the questions. It was just my fault to not subscribing to comments. I just overlooked that here are a lot of questions. So, it's all on me... Sorry for that, I already fixed that. By the way, I didn't leave any of the support tickets unanswered. So, from that moment, each comment will be answered too in a reasonable time.
  • May I know if this works well with the BodyMovin plugin? Which means whether it is compatible with the Lottie plugin, bodymovin. Thanks!
  • May I know if this works well with the BodyMovin plugin? Which means whether it is compatible with the Lottie plugin, bodymovin. Thanks!
    You can download trial version and try it with bodymovin. I don't see any particular reason for it not to work with bodymovin, except you probably will need to bake expressions to keys cause bodymovin definitely couldn't eat main expression
  • Hello, can you explain me why the script is crashing after effect when i use the bend effect on a simple shape but it doesn't when i use a complexe form in a shape layer ? Thanks !
  • I really had I hope for this product, but there is no information online or tutorial unfortunately. I do understand that it's a new plugin, but is there any update on the documentation part? I just see comments of the software crashing in the comment below.
  • I really had I hope for this product, but there is no information online or tutorial unfortunately. I do understand that it's a new plugin, but is there any update on the documentation part? I just see comments of the software crashing in the comment below.
    Hello! There is a tutorial on the page of the script, just scroll down. You can always download a trial version and check script by yourself and decide if it fits you.
  • Hello, can you explain me why the script is crashing after effect when i use the bend effect on a simple shape but it doesn't when i use a complexe form in a shape layer ? Thanks !
    Hello! Bend works just fine with simple rectangles, ellipces and lines and with complex shapes and pathes too. Both on mac and windows. If there some case when it won't work, please, tell more about it in the support ticket.
  • Will this be updated to be compatible with Ae 2020?

It compatible with 2020. You can download trial and check it out.
  • Hi, good job on this tool, everything works well and good enough.
    Only I have problem to parent a hand to the End point so it can move accordingly whenever it move ( like rubberhost ), now it just following the End but not moving the directional.

I see the tutorial, there is nothing talking about this, please update the tool or help me on this if I miss something.

Thanks 
  • Hi, good job on this tool, everything works well and good enough.
    Only I have problem to parent a hand to the End point so it can move accordingly whenever it move ( like rubberhost ), now it just following the End but not moving the directional.

I see the tutorial, there is nothing talking about this, please update the tool or help me on this if I miss something.

Thanks 
    Hello! Yes, we already making an update, witch besides all will solve this issue. It will be released very soon, stay tuned!
    I'm running into an error on Ae 2020 [Unable to execute script at line 140. undefined is not an object], so I'm curious if it is compatible yet. The AeScripts Installer tool doesn't show 2020 as an install option, so I manually installed it. 
    I'm running into an error on Ae 2020 [Unable to execute script at line 140. undefined is not an object], so I'm curious if it is compatible yet. The AeScripts Installer tool doesn't show 2020 as an install option, so I manually installed it. 
    It must be a local problem. It works properly on mac and win in ae 2020. So please open a support ticket and describe your issue in details. 
    It must be a local problem. It works properly on mac and win in ae 2020. So please open a support ticket and describe your issue in details. 
    Gotcha. I submitted a ticket earlier today, so we'll see what happens. I've tried it on a desktop and laptop, so two completely different machines. 
    Gotcha. I submitted a ticket earlier today, so we'll see what happens. I've tried it on a desktop and laptop, so two completely different machines. 
    Yes, I saw your previous ticket and wasn't answer on it immediately because I've got a ticket with the same problem and it was solved by the customer himself even before I answered it. So I do mean it is a local problem. I asked her how she fixed it and waited for an answer to give you a specific response with the concrete instructions. She didn't answer, so thank you for the second ticket and let's find a solution 
    I downloaded trial version and gave me the same error
    As soon as we will find a solution, I will share it here, just wait a bit, please
  • For those running into the error I received in AE 2020, I was able to fix it simply by restarting my machine. Your mileage may vary, but that's what worked for me. 
    Indici - I found that my issue was solved after I had restarted my machine. I had to restart for something unrelated, but that seemed to do the trick for me. 
  • hello
    im using

window 10
    AE 2019 16.1.3 (build 5)

i have some AE error when try character script
    "Unable to execute script at line 5. undefined is not an object"

im check "Allow scripts to Write Files and Access Network"
    trying trun off window network firewall, do not work, same

im buy this tool but do not using...
    help me plz..TT
  • hello
    im using

window 10
    AE 2019 16.1.3 (build 5)

i have some AE error when try character script
    "Unable to execute script at line 5. undefined is not an object"

im check "Allow scripts to Write Files and Access Network"
    trying trun off window network firewall, do not work, same

im buy this tool but do not using...
    help me plz..TT

Hello! Open please a support ticket
  • I'm running into an error on Ae 2020 [Unable to execute script at line 140. undefined is not an object],
    and I restarted my computer, but it still doesn't work yet.
  • I'm running into an error on Ae 2020 [Unable to execute script at line 140. undefined is not an object],
    and I restarted my computer, but it still doesn't work yet.
    Sometimes it requires two restarts. We already working on this issue and it will be fixed in the nearest update.
  • I tried to show the trim path for selected shape by pressing '' s s'' keyword but it doesnt show. 
    Could you tell me more about that ? 
  • I tried to show the trim path for selected shape by pressing '' s s'' keyword but it doesnt show. 
    Could you tell me more about that ? 
    Hrllo, Honer! What exactly do you mean? The hotkey "S+S" reveals all selected properties, and it would reveal trim path only if it was selected.
  • Hi! I just got the tool and it is very cool and intuitive. 

However, in the tutorial video, it shows a spider where all the legs seem to come together in the middle. But it doesn't go over how to do that...I made a "body", and now I want to add "arms", how do you go about attaching the limbs? 
  • I love so much this tool, but I am having a problem. When I click on "Add new stroke to current limb style" the new stroke appear on the Effect Controls panel but it's not visible in the composition. I tried everything but it's still not working. Please help me! :(
  • I love so much this tool, but I am having a problem. When I click on "Add new stroke to current limb style" the new stroke appear on the Effect Controls panel but it's not visible in the composition. I tried everything but it's still not working. Please help me! :(

Hello! Please, open a support ticket
  • Hello, are we able to pick-whip to a different layer (.psd arm)?
  • hey i dont understand how to make a rig, can you maybe sent the video from tutorial?
  • Hi 
    I am just testing this nice tool. But I have one issue.
    It seem to me that if you parent start and end controller to an master null and flip that by setting x-scale to -100, the limbs don´t work anymore.
    But in charcater animation you often need a mirrored copy of your character rig.
    Is there a workaround?
    What I see as the main advantage is the ability to easily move the "middle" or elbow/knee joint. Especially important for front run cycles where you need foreshortening of the limbs. I created my 1st basic doodle character with RubberHose.. now trying Character Tool. So far so good... I really like its simplicity! Jury is still out regarding performance.. will repost in a few weeks after I've completed a couple animations. ... I week later...The ability to easily foreshorten the limbs is why I prefer this over RubberHose.. And now I see that After Effects 2020 Beta has Stroke Tapering.. so I am excited to try that with my character... the only thing I miss from RubberHose... and perhaps the auto rotation of the hands.. (but that is not too big a deal for me). (update, May 2020) I just tried the tapered stroke in AE Beta and it seems to work well with it. Update May/2020.. I replaced the limbs of a Rubberhose character (arm&legs) to Character Tools and my render improved from 11:07 to 3:46. A considerable time savings with the same look. Also, those asking for more features, be careful what you ask for, because more code means slower render times.

• It would it great if you could discuss parenting in a tutorial. I can’t seem to get a foot or a hand to rotate directionally with an end controller, and If I keyframe properties besides position on an end controller, parenting doesn’t work at all. I’d use this tool a lot more if I knew how to parent feel/hands more effectively.
  • This plugin does not work for me with bodymoving, even baking each script with keys, can you help me or make a tutorial that explains the error here?
  • This plugin does not work for me with bodymoving, even baking each script with keys, can you help me or make a tutorial that explains the error here?

Hello! If you have some technical issue with the script, please, open a support ticket
  • Boa noite!

Sabe dizer quando vai sair a atualização para o after 2020 ?
  • are there any plans to add a taper effect to the limbs at all?