• Hi there,

The scale and rotation modifers don't seem to be working for me for some reason. Position modifier works just fine but when values are changed in scale/rotation there is no change.
    Any suggestions? Have a missed something?

Thanks
  • Hey Cordelia,

Did you enter you license when you opened the script? It sounds like you're still running the trial mode which is limited to delay, x & y position. 

What version of AE are you using?

Best wishes,

Matt
  • Hi Matt,

Ah, yes I suspected it might have been a licensing thing but couldn't see anywhere what the restrictions were.
    I applied the script in trial mode, then purchased it and applied the license, but the rotation/scale modifiers are still not working. Have tried a restart of AE also. Using AE2020.
    I'm thinking I might need to reapply the script from scratch.

Thanks,

• Hi Cordelia,

Can you copy the expression you have on the rotation, scale and opacity values. If you hit the ? icon at the top it should say whether you have an active license. Does yours look like mine?
    Screenshot 2019-11-18 at 08.36.49.png
    1660 x 1382 - 495K
  • Hi Matt
    Is it possible to clone layers and precomps, or is it only for shapes?
    Thanks
  • Hi Luis,

Easy Clones is a cloning system built for 2D artwork, including Bitmap Layers, Vector Layers, Shape Layers and Precomps.

There are 5 demo videos I'd recommend watching to find out more about the tool:

Cheers,

Matt
  • Hi Cordelia,

Can you copy the expression you have on the rotation, scale and opacity values. If you hit the ? icon at the top it should say whether you have an active license. Does yours look like mine?
    Yep: "/*this is a trial version, purchase a license to unlock this feature.*/
    thisComp.layer("Leaves Clone Controls").transform.rotation"

But the full version is definitely active - as per your screenshot.

I reapplied the script and it's working fine now - just a heads up that the trial version didn't unlock properly for me on an already built animation with the script applied.

Script is awesome by the way, thanks!
  • Ahh yeah I should mention that it won't update the expressions automatically, you'll either have to add more clones or create a new system from scratch. The trial mode is suppose to be a teaser I didn't anticipate people continuing directly from a trail version. Glad you've got it up and running now though!
  • Hi , If i purchase this plugin , and install in 1 computer to use , if I spot using that specific computer can I uninstall and re-install into a new computer ?
  • Hi Misha,

Yeah you can uninstall the script whenever you like using the ? button on the interface which will pop up a window and in the top right corner you can select Deactivate License.

I believe you can have the script installed on two machines but I'm not completely sure about aescripts policies for more. 

Matt
  • I'm trying to follow the tutorials, however the script does not work as it does in your tutorial. For example, scaling the circles... instead of scaling with delay they all scale at the same time. I'm getting crazy to figure this out.
  • Hi Dani,

Before I can help you I need to know more information.

What are you keyframing to control the scale? can you share a screenshot?

Matt
  • Also have you purchased a licence or are you in trial mode? The trial mode has limited features which might be causing your issues.
  • Matt, thank you for your tool - bought it and want to recreate something like your tree -- but I fear I am not smart enough hahah.
    Could you point me or share your comp for this tree so i can learn 
  • Hey Nikolaus,

Sorry for the slow response. 

The tree wasn't too difficult to set up, just design the tree and leaves and make sure you don't zero the clones position to the control null. All I did then was add some wiggles to the rotation and played with the random on the scale then I animated the control nulls position to have them all blow off the tree.

For the Leaves themselves you'll have to build a bit of a rig, so I separated the black lines / details from the coloured leaf, then parented all the details to their retrospective leaf and made sure the anchor point of the leaf was aligned with the stork. Finally make a clone system of the leaves and you're good to go. 

I hope this helps.

Matt
  • I love your script!  I've been using the X and Y movement, but I see it has Z as well, but Z position doesn't seem to work like I expect when I make it 3D.  Does it work with 3D or is it strictly 2D?
    Thank you!
    -Stephen
  • Hi Stephen, 

I'm not sure what your issue is exactly, what isn't working when you're using 3d? It has been designed to be mainly a 2d cloning system as there are plenty of better tools for 3d use but it does support 3d positioning allowing the user to add depth to the clones. 

I've attached a few screenshots. As you'll see the top view shows the depth defined by the Near and Far Limits. 

What are you trying to achieve? 

Matt
    Screenshot 2020-05-19 at 09.20.21.png
    2704 x 1198 - 419K
    Screenshot 2020-05-19 at 09.20.58.png
    752 x 1306 - 334K
  • Hey Nikolaus,

Sorry for the slow response. 

The tree wasn't too difficult to set up, just design the tree and leaves and make sure you don't zero the clones position to the control null. All I did then was add some wiggles to the rotation and played with the random on the scale then I animated the control nulls position to have them all blow off the tree.

For the Leaves themselves you'll have to build a bit of a rig, so I separated the black lines / details from the coloured leaf, then parented all the details to their retrospective leaf and made sure the anchor point of the leaf was aligned with the stork. Finally make a clone system of the leaves and you're good to go. 

I hope this helps.

Matt
    Awesome - thank you Matt -- so you design the tree and than you add the leaves to the cloner system? 
    Got it.
  • I have a tricky question Matt, 
    You have the wiggle which is great -- but when I try to loop the wiggles I get deep into expression trouble hahaha.
    I should search and replace in your system the wiggle expression according to Dan in this great page:
    http://www.motionscript.com/design-guide/looping-wiggle.html

Would you think you could implement this already into your system? 

Best vibes
  • Hey Nikolaus, 

Sorry about the slow reply, I've been busy building my new tool Blend. I'm now in the process of making a major update to Easy Clones so I'll look into whether I can incorporate this Wiggle Loop method. Can't make any promises but I'll try my best. 

Matt
  • I'm working on a project in AE2018, which is supposed to be compatible, but when I try to create a clone system it says that I must use a later version of After Effects. How do I get around this? The entire project I'm working on is working flawlessly in 2018 and I don't want to have to jump to 2019 or 2020 and risk things breaking.
  • I'm trying to use the script with KBar, but when I execute the script via KBar, it gives me an error: "Invalid argument. Valid arguments are: create clones, add clones, renumber clones, shuffle clones, centre clones, replace colors, add expressions. Please check your KBar settings."

What can I do to fix this? Is it possible to use with KBar?

Thanks so much!
  • Hi Suzanne,

Easy Clones works with Kbar but because the script has several buttons you need to give Kbar additional information so that it knows which button of the script you want to execute with your Kbar button you're creating. The error message you are getting is telling you the arguements you need to write into Kbar so that it knows what button you're trying to press.

I've attached some screenshots of setting up Easy Clones with Kbar, this uses the aguement create clones which is the first button on Easy Clone's UI pannel. 

I hope this helps.

Matt

Screenshot 2022-02-21 at 09.22.13.png
    1190 x 140 - 12K
    Screenshot 2022-02-21 at 09.22.22.png
    1200 x 1236 - 159K
    Screenshot 2022-02-21 at 09.23.31.png
    1202 x 1240 - 121K
  • Hi Matt, 
    I have a question. Maybe you can help me. I installed the trial version to test your app. Because it looks exactly like what I need for a project. And wanted to use it on a shapelayer first to get familiar with the functionalities. But as soon as I create a clone system, my shapelayer disappears from the canvas and is scaled to 0%. when I scale it back to 100%, it remains "invisible". Have you had this problem before? is it just the trial version? I work with AfterEffects 2021, which should actually fit.
    Thank you very much for your help,
    Best regards
    Hennes

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)
  • Hi Hennes,

Hmm thats odd behavior. Can you quick check what the opacity is set to? I have a feeling it might be 0. in which case the solution is to just put that up to 100. 

I'll have to have a look into this but this is definately just an issue with the trial version as it's limited to just position within the cloning system.

Let me know if the opacity is the issue!

Matt
  • Informational Thread..Helpful for me...
  • Soo this looks so good but... The trial version is completely non-functional. I can't get anything to work at all :| I see in one of the previous comments that it's supposed to be limited to just position (which is totally fair), but that doesn't even work :(

Essentially, you can create the clone system, but nothing appears to be linked. When you check the checkboxes and move any of the variables/sliders in the "Easy Clone" effects control, it has no effect over any of the clones. Not even the original.

I'm almost 100% sure it's not me, I've tried to follow the basic tutorials and done everything the same and it still doesn't work.

Please let me know if this gets rectified, or if I am doing something wrong that's specific to the trial version. I was so excited to try this tool :(

(P.S. the disappearing shapelayer problem with the trial version is definitely the scale/opacity issue)
  • Hi Rose,

Sorry that you're having issues with the trial version, this might be a bug that has crept in with the latest Adobe AE update. Thank you for bringing this to my attention, however I'm not going to have time to solve this immediately as I am very busy with client work and I have an 11 month old so my free time is pretty much non existent at the moment.

If you purchase a license for the tool the full version should work as I was using it the other day. You will have to start a completely new clone system though. If you're unhappy with the tool you can get a full refund. 

Sorry that I can't fix the issue with the trail version for you.

Best wishes,

Matt
  • Can this create radial clone arrays? 
    Also, is it possible to Rotate the Clone Controller and have the child Clones rotate around the Controller, rather than rotating on their own anchor point?

Thanks!
  • Hi Steve, 

Sorry for the delay. 

No Easy Clones does not have a radial array unfortunately, gird or line are the only functions at the moment. 

You can parent the clones to a new null to control a 'global' rotation however this unfortunately does not support delays.

I hope this helps.

Matt

• Hi Matt,

I'm a licensed user starting up with the script and my question could sound a little silly, but  cannot find a way to remove the clone system without manual deleting the expressions and effects the script applies to the master clone
    Is it possible to full remove the clone system returning to the pre clone state?

Thanks!