• imageMoCode

MoCode brings an entire development environment in After Effects. It's not just a code editor, but an all-new way to write, save and reuse your expressions and scripts inside AE.

https://aescripts.com/mocode/

• Love the Mocode trial, and will be purchasing very soon.

I have a feature request. The option to hover over a variable and see it's current value would be really useful for debugging. We can see the current property graph that the expression is attached to, but it would be amazing to see the value of any variable in your expression at the current frame. Is this possible? 
  • Hi Barry,

Thank you for your comment! It seems to be a complicated feature to implement, but that's not impossible. There are a lot of planned features for the moment. I would like to add some hover functionalities and more interactions with variables and controllers.

For example, I plan to add the ability to change the value of a slider or any other parameter referenced in an expression directly from the code editor. When I'll start working on this feature (which is not in the high priorities), I'll consider how to integrate your request. If you use Discord, I really encourage you to post your feature request in our Discord server: https://discord.gg/MC42gDb
  • Hi your script looks really powerful! 
    I have a question:
    I need to modify a certain part of an expression in a big project, that expression exist at least 100 times in several comps. 
    Practically I need to search the whole project for that expression and then modify it.
    The first part of the expression refers to the comp name while the second part is and identical, I need to change the identical part only.
    Thanks

• Nikits AE said:
    Hi your script looks really powerful! 
    I have a question:
    I need to modify a certain part of an expression in a big project, that expression exist at least 100 times in several comps. 
    Practically I need to search the whole project for that expression and then modify it.
    The first part of the expression refers to the comp name while the second part is and identical, I need to change the identical part only.
    Thanks

Hi,
    I'm working on a feature to globally search and replace strings inside all the expressions of a project for a future release of MoCode. This is not available for now with our tool, but Duik could help you to achieve that: https://duik-docs.rainboxlab.org/rigging-tools.html#search-and-replace
  • I really like your Code Editor. 

We plan to use this with the new font change expressions. My question is can I choose a font from inside the code editor? Currently I can't see a way to do this and have to edit the layer instead. 

Any help woulod be appreciated 
  • I really like your Code Editor. 

We plan to use this with the new font change expressions. My question is can I choose a font from inside the code editor? Currently I can't see a way to do this and have to edit the layer instead. 

Any help woulod be appreciated 
    Hi Andrew,

Thanks for your comment and sorry for the late answer. We're working on the implementation of the new CC 2020 dropdown feature for the automatic creation of controllers and for the visual mode. We're not planning to implement features around the font expressions but we could think about it. 

These 2 features could be quickly added to MoCode:
    - Font selection thanks to a dedicated dropdown 
    - Font selection thanks to the autocompletion

Unfortunately, it seems too difficult to be able to preview the font when using the dedicated dropdown.

Would these features meet your needs?
  • Is there a way to create "snippet" where a number of layers is generated, with animations, expressions and effects? I haven't tried MoCode yet, because I feel the short trial will not provide enough time to test this for what we need. I'm novice to script writing, but adapt quickly to project needs, but I feel that this may be what we need.

Thank you.
  • Is there a way to create "snippet" where a number of layers is generated, with animations, expressions and effects? I haven't tried MoCode yet, because I feel the short trial will not provide enough time to test this for what we need. I'm novice to script writing, but adapt quickly to project needs, but I feel that this may be what we need.

Thank you.
    Hi Anthony,

For the scripting side, MoCode will help you to write and execute code faster inside After Effects but you have to know Extendscript and the After Effects methods. Your scripting experience will be more comfortable thanks to the snippets, the autocompletion, the MoCode methods to manipulate expressions in scripting mode, and the ability to execute your code in one click.
  • Hello!

I work in a Team with 9 more animators, this Script could be really useful to us if we can have an expression library that is available on each animator's computer and is automatically updated when one of the Team members adds a new expression in the library.
    Does MoCode works with this feature?

Thank you!
  • Hello!

I work in a Team with 9 more animators, this Script could be really useful to us if we can have an expression library that is available on each animator's computer and is automatically updated when one of the Team members adds a new expression in the library.
    Does MoCode works with this feature?

Thank you!
    Hello Francisco,

You can store your library on your own server or on a cloud provider, and reference the link of your library on each MoCode client. Unfortunately, remote libraries are read-only. So, if you want to add or edit an item, you have to re-export your library and re-upload the JSON file. Each time you update your remote file, each MoCode client is automatically updated on start.

I'm working on a way to do that for toolbars too.

I've explained the process with Github here (35:35)
  • Hi, a little suggestion, maybe including font awesome or so icons the the toolbar (as kbar has f.e.) would be a great help, so you dont have to create icons each time, or use not so readable texts/shortcuts
  • Hi, a little suggestion, maybe including font awesome or so icons the the toolbar (as kbar has f.e.) would be a great help, so you dont have to create icons each time, or use not so readable texts/shortcuts
    Hi Lukas,

Thanks for this suggestion, we'll add this feature in a future release of MoCode! We've added it to the feature requests on our discord server.

• Compatibility lists only CC2018 and 2019. Is it compatible with CC2020?
  • Compatibility lists only CC2018 and 2019. Is it compatible with CC2020?
    Yes, I've updated the compatibility section.
  • Adrien,

First of all I want to say a big thank-you. Love MoCode :-)

I have 2 requests for future updates:
    1) Like Francisco wrote - the ability to have a shared library (in a dropbox folder for example) with both read an write access would be fantastic
    2) When creating an expression using MoCode syntax to auto create a slider - it would be great to be able to assign default values to the slider. For example if you have some starting values for wiggle that you always use - but would still like a slider to adjust later. _ slider: Amplitude: 3: create _ - for a slider named Amplitude already set do default of 3

Anyway, keep up the good work.
    Chris
  • Adrien,

First of all I want to say a big thank-you. Love MoCode :-)

I have 2 requests for future updates:
    1) Like Francisco wrote - the ability to have a shared library (in a dropbox folder for example) with both read an write access would be fantastic
    2) When creating an expression using MoCode syntax to auto create a slider - it would be great to be able to assign default values to the slider. For example if you have some starting values for wiggle that you always use - but would still like a slider to adjust later. _ slider: Amplitude: 3: create _ - for a slider named Amplitude already set do default of 3

Anyway, keep up the good work.
    Chris
    Hey Chris,

Thanks for your kind words about MoCode :)

1) I could add the ability to register an external file as a library rather than the default MoCode database. You'll be able to register a library in a Gdrive or Dropbox folder, but...I'm not a big fan of this approach because if two users are working on the same library at the same time, one of them will erase the work of the other one. MoCode database is stored in memory at launch for performance issue, so I would need to know when Dropbox is updating a file to refresh the library for all the users... A nice way to do that would be to store the libraries on our own servers and use a clean API to manipulate them. If more and more users need such a feature, it might be worth it.

2) Great idea, I'll add this feature request to our roadmap on discord. _ slider: Amplitude: 3: create _ will be _ slider: Amplitude: create(3) _ to not break the existing expressions.

Cheers
  • This extension looks amazing, please can you tell me where our expression libraries are stored locally, is it somewhere in "C:\Users\UserName\AppData\Roaming\MoCode" ?

I looked in the help and it says to copy this folder to another computer if you want to backup, so I assume they're in there.

The reason I ask is because we use linked folders for expressions and presets, so after effects unknowingly accesses them from a Google Drive folder, rather than a local folder.  This allows us to share and auto backup everything and we'd like to do the same with MoCode.

Also some of us have more than one version of after effects installed, due to plugin compatibility.  When we installed MoCode on a machine with CC2020 and CC2018, the libraries created in CC2020 didn't appear when MoCode was opened in CC2018.  Is this a bug or a limitation?

Look forward to your reply, thanks again for creating this!
  • This extension looks amazing, please can you tell me where our expression libraries are stored locally, is it somewhere in "C:\Users\UserName\AppData\Roaming\MoCode" ?

The reason I ask is because we use linked folders for expressions and presets, so after effects unknowingly accesses them from a Google Drive folder, rather than a local folder.  This allows us to share and auto backup everything.

I'd like to do the same with MoCode, avoiding the need to manually backup or use github.

Hey James,

Thanks for your comment! MoCode database is stored in %APPDATA%/MoCode. You can access this folder through the MoCode documentation, in "How to backup and restore all my MoCode configuration?" section.

I know some of our users synchronize their database with Dropbox or Resilio Sync, but I never tried personally. Also, please read this comment where I mention the cons of this approach: https://aescripts.com/forums/discussion/comment/29862/#Comment_29862

I highly advice you to try the synchronization with the free trial.

Adrien
    mocode.png
    867 x 321 - 58K

The reason I ask is because we use linked folders for expressions and presets, so after effects unknowingly accesses them from a Google Drive folder, rather than a local folder.  This allows us to share and auto backup everything.

I'd like to do the same with MoCode, avoiding the need to manually backup or use github.

Hey James,

Thanks for your comment! MoCode database is stored in %APPDATA%/MoCode. You can access this folder through the MoCode documentation, in "How to backup and restore all my MoCode configuration?" section.

I know some of our users synchronize their database with Dropbox or Resilio Sync, but I never tried personally. Also, please read this comment where I mention the cons of this approach: https://aescripts.com/forums/discussion/comment/29862/#Comment_29862

Adrien
    Thanks for your fast reply Adrien, we tried the synchronization with the latest free trial and it worked really well, i'm very impressed and glad my colleague recommended it!

The only thing we noticed with his installation was any library created in CC2020 did not show up in his CC2018 but did in his CC2019.  He's currently using version 1.3.4,,, will updating to 1.3.7 solve this problem?

It's important we can use MoCode with multiple installations of After Effects, because some plugins won't work on CC2020.

Please let us know, thanks again for your time!

Hey James,

Adrien
    Thanks for your fast reply Adrien, we tried the synchronization with the latest free trial and it worked really well, i'm very impressed and glad my colleague recommended it!

The only thing we noticed with his installation was any library created in CC2020 did not show up in his CC2018 but did in his CC2019.  He's currently using version 1.3.4,,, will updating to 1.3.7 solve this problem?

It's important we can use MoCode with multiple installations of After Effects, because some plugins won't work on CC2020.

Please let us know, thanks again for your time!
    You're welcome :)

Unfortunately some features can be broken in CC2018 since Adobe doesn't provide installers anymore for old AE version. We can't test or debug new release which is really annoying, and I don't think 1.3.7 will fix your issue. I should leave a note about that on the product page.
  • Hello,

Having some issues with scrolling using the touchpad on a Macbook Pro (Late 2016, touchbar model) on latest AE (17.5.1, build 47). Using the regular scrolling gesture in Mac OS (two finger swipe up or down) while hovering over the code will only marginally scroll in either direction. To scroll properly I need to either hover over the scroll bar while swiping (very difficult since it's quite narrow) or click and drag the scrollbar. In general the UI seems to slow down considerably with longer expressions, even just switching tabs takes a few seconds. The expressions are only ~100 lines long.

Is this a known issue?

• Hello,

Having some issues with scrolling using the touchpad on a Macbook Pro (Late 2016, touchbar model) on latest AE (17.5.1, build 47). Using the regular scrolling gesture in Mac OS (two finger swipe up or down) while hovering over the code will only marginally scroll in either direction. To scroll properly I need to either hover over the scroll bar while swiping (very difficult since it's quite narrow) or click and drag the scrollbar. In general the UI seems to slow down considerably with longer expressions, even just switching tabs takes a few seconds. The expressions are only ~100 lines long.

Is this a known issue?

Hello Lars,
    I sent you a beta build on discord, I hope it will solve the reported issue.
  • Hi,
    is an update planned soon to take into account text properties expressions?

merci ;)
    Hey Bruno,

Are you talking about the autocompletion?
  • I have fixed some issues with the autocompletion for the next release. I'll add the new methods before updating to 1.3.9. There will be some limitations, like the lack of font selector: https://helpx.adobe.com/content/dam/help/en/after-effects/using/expressions-text-properties/jcr_content/main-pars/image_2104401086/PostScript.gif
  • I have fixed some issues with the autocompletion for the next release. I'll add the new methods before updating to 1.3.9. There will be some limitations, like the lack of font selector: https://helpx.adobe.com/content/dam/help/en/after-effects/using/expressions-text-properties/jcr_content/main-pars/image_2104401086/PostScript.gif
    Could there be a possibility to keep these menus displayed in Mocode for easy access without having to open the expression menu each time. For example, if I have to define all the properties styles it's tedious to select them one by one.
    Could there be a possibility to keep these menus displayed in Mocode for easy access without having to open the expression menu each time. For example, if I have to define all the properties styles it's tedious to select them one by one.
    There is no plan to change the autocompletion behavior. I think the easiest way to achieve what you want to do is saving a snippet in MoCode with all the attributes. Each time you'll need it, you will be able to quickly add your snippet to your expression by typing the snippet id: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KIxppuGcN6k&t=1162s
  • Great editor, but I am having trouble with my all code unfolding everytime I press "enter" to select autocompleted phrase. Is this desired behavior? 
  • Hi there, 

I'm having troubles when installing Mocode. The ZXP installer prompts this error: 

`The extension cannot be installed at the moment
    Please install a compatible CC application and try again`

I' working on a MacBookPro - M1 and the AE version is 22.6.0. I tried to install it in a previous version but the same message was displayed. 

I hope you can help me to go through the trial. 

Merçi
    Jon
  • Hi there, 

I'm having troubles when installing Mocode. The ZXP installer prompts this error: 

`The extension cannot be installed at the moment
    Please install a compatible CC application and try again`

I' working on a MacBookPro - M1 and the AE version is 22.6.0. I tried to install it in a previous version but the same message was displayed. 

I hope you can help me to go through the trial. 

Merçi
    Jon

Use our manager to install: https://aescripts.com/learn/aescripts-aeplugins-manager-app/
    If you still need help open a support ticket https://aescripts.com/contact/?direct=1
  • Will this work with 2023 After Effects?
  • Is it possible to import expressions from the discontinued "Expression Toolbox"? I ask because I have been using ET for 15 years or so and have accumulated a very large number of expressions in there which I'd like to migrate to Mocode.
  • Hi i am trying to switch to manually applying expression but the toggle doesn't seem to work for me, I'm pretty sure it worked before (although I usually keep it on) but now both manual apply and auto apply are applying changes to the property automatically. i'm using after effects 23.3.

• Will this work with 2023 After Effects?
    I have used it in a project and it works. However, unfortunately, it has been discontinued.