• I was trying out the trial version of this, and found that trying to undo (I used Cmd+Z) after applying and moving one of the Nulls consistently causes After Effects to crash. It seems if you make other changes you can undo those changes, but once you try and undo at the first step it still crashes.
  • I was using the trial version of this and for some reason not all the points were discovered.
  • This is a trial limitation - only 4 points in trial mode are accessible.
    I was using the trial version of this and for some reason not all the points were discovered.

• This is weird. I am not able to reproduce this. If you still keep on getting that crash, can you please open a support ticked and send me AEP for me to investigate? Thank you.

I was trying out the trial version of this, and found that trying to undo (I used Cmd+Z) after applying and moving one of the Nulls consistently causes After Effects to crash. It seems if you make other changes you can undo those changes, but once you try and undo at the first step it still crashes.

• every time I try to use the script I get an error message 'unable to execute script at line 319. p is undefined. whats going wrong?
  • Sorting this out in support ticket

Stu Allen said:
    every time I try to use the script I get an error message 'unable to execute script at line 319. p is undefined. whats going wrong?

• Apparently this "unable to execute script at line 319. p is undefined" error comes from Curva script.

If you are experiencing same error, make sure you don't have this script docked in AE interface.
  • Hi I am having a scrip issue everytime I add hooker to a shape layer... "After Effects warning: Expression Disabled. Error at line 286 in property 'Path' of layer 5 ('Shape Layer 1') in comp 'HD 1080P'. Internal error.
  • Feature suggestion 1:
    I was thinking that maybe the layers of the nulls for the tangents can be created ONTOP of their "Hooker Point". Alot of the time I need to move the Hooker Tangent layer ontop manually.

Feature suggestion 2:
    Maybe there can be a setting for "locking" the scale of the nulls, so they are created with a expression "locking" their scale.
  • every time I use this script Ae crash. don't know how to fix this problem
  • Hooking a vertex point to a layer causes AE to crash
  • When I press "read data", the script freezes and the message pops up: "unable to execute at line 1483. execution halted"

then another window shows:
    script file: panel.html
    error on line 1. column 1.
  • Hi I am having a scrip issue everytime I add hooker to a shape layer... "After Effects warning: Expression Disabled. Error at line 286 in property 'Path' of layer 5 ('Shape Layer 1') in comp 'HD 1080P'. Internal error.
    This happens sometimes. To make it go away, simply click anywhere in the timeline to change the CTI and it will go away.
  • every time I use this script Ae crash. don't know how to fix this problem

Hooking a vertex point to a layer causes AE to crash

This happens sometimes due to complicated maths in expression that AE seems not to be capable of handling sometimes. Easiest way to fix this is to disable Obey Shape Transformations in Hooker UI. To access this, right click in Hooker UI and disable this option. This will force AE to use simpler expression and perform much faster. However, you will lose the ability to properly hook layers if a shape layer has been transformed (as in Skewed, Rotated, etc).
  • Hey coder, where are you at?  I was wanting to purchase this but I am waiting for you to surface and answer some questions/concerns/issues several are having, even if the usual "open a support ticket," at least a response.  Lloyd, am I being unreasonable here?
    Hey Duane - please feel free to open a support ticket and we can discuss your questions. I am not very active on this board, that's why it feels ... abandoned :) Sorry.
  • I love the concept behind this script. Unfortunately I can't get it to work properly. 
    It won't read data from shapes unless they are created with the pen tool, for starters. 
    If you are trying to work with 2 different shape layers, it'll likely crash AE. 

If anyone has a video tutorial on proper use this script, it would be much appreciated.
  • Hello David. You are right, Hooker only works with paths, not parametric shapes. This is not Hookers limitation, this is just that parametric shapes are _live_ and there's no access to their points.

Regarding 2 shapes crashing AE - it's irrelevant. Try disabling Obey Shape Transform in context menu, and see if that helps.

Regarding tutorial, I am sorry, I don't see why would anyone need a tutorial for it - hook a layer to a vertex, and do whatever you like - imagination is the limit here.

I love the concept behind this script. Unfortunately I can't get it to work properly. 
    It won't read data from shapes unless they are created with the pen tool, for starters. 

If anyone has a video tutorial on proper use this script, it would be much appreciated.

• Hi Tomas, 

First, thank you for the fast reply. It's great to see that you actively monitor your products' discussion feeds. 
    Second, I've learned that I am a visual learner. I can learn anything through experimentation and reading, but ultimately seeing it work will get me there 10x faster. YouTube, Vimeo etc are fantastic examples of how many visual learners exist, and how we rely on practical tutorials to demonstrate basic functionality. I realize not everyone learns this way, but I certainly do. This doesn't put any demand on you to produce videos, but it certainly compels me to ask if such training exists. 

The instructions you provided worked and it is not crashing after context menu change. 

Thanks again!

Hello David. You are right, Hooker only works with paths, not parametric shapes. This is not Hookers limitation, this is just that parametric shapes are _live_ and there's no access to their points.

Regarding 2 shapes crashing AE - it's irrelevant. Try disabling Obey Shape Transform in context menu, and see if that helps.

Regarding tutorial, I am sorry, I don't see why would anyone need a tutorial for it - hook a layer to a vertex, and do whatever you like - imagination is the limit here.

I love the concept behind this script. Unfortunately I can't get it to work properly. 

• Is there a way to bake the hooked position data directly into the affected path?
  • Right click on Path and chose Keyframe Assistant -> Convert Expression to Keyframes

Is there a way to bake the hooked position data directly into the affected path?

• Ha, I knew there was some native way to do it in AE, I just couldn't recall. Thank you, I can go to bed now. Great product btw.
  • An update for AE 2019? Crash always.....
  • Please open a support ticket if you are having technical issues.

An update for AE 2019? Crash always.....

• Do you guys have any how to videos on this? I can't get it working as expected and the video here and on their site isn't helpful. I can hook points up to a null or layer but the rest doesn't behave intuitively. Need to see someone working with it in a tutorial. 
  • Dear Rendertom,

I find more instructions on 3 Pc. Condoms Package than your product description page!!
  • Brilliant plugin!

I'm using it loads on my current project, saved my bacon, thanks.

If your are still developing, what would be lovely is

1_Zoom in on points
    2 drag select multiple points
    3 Connect multiple points to one null

Good job!
  • My result is that the paths are offset from the hooker point. They follow the hooker point layer, but a few inches away from it. Am I doing something wrong?
    imageimage
  • compatibility says works with 2020. I can't get it to do literally anything, nothing at all. tried on a mask. tried on a shape path. Nada. 
  • I can't open it with cc2021, is there something I can try to make it work?
  • Hi, thanks for the script. If possible, add the create null hook to 3d space option
  • My result is that the paths are offset from the hooker point. They follow the hooker point layer, but a few inches away from it. Am I doing something wrong?

Hey Evan,

I had the same problem.  I tracked it down to a mismatch between the multiple transforms of a shape that got brought in as an illustrator file and then converted.  Go to your timeline and twirl down the contents of your shape layer.  If your setup is like mine, then there will be a group.  That group will have it's own transform, separate from the overall shape's transform.  The group transform will likely have an anchor point x and y that are not zero.  IF you look at the overall shapes *position* see if it has the same values as the groups anchor point.  Try setting them *both* to zero in x and y.  If your situation is like mine, the the shape will end up in the same original place and then the hooker nulls ought to line up.  I don't know if that's clear,but I do know that it worked for me.

imageimage

• It won't open in AE CC 2022. Nothing happens when it's selected from the Extension menu.