• imageTextDelay

A native plugin that delays your text animation by character, word or line. Unlike the default text animator, it inherits your animation’s easing so you can be creative with curves or easing expressions.

https://aescripts.com/textdelay/

• Hi guys, in the tutorial you've shown how to fix tracking issues under the tracking tab in the plugin. Would a leading tab be added in future versions? I've run into issues with clipping caused by the leading with multi-lined text.
  • Hi Andrew

Good idea, I'll put that on the list of things for the next update.
  • will it work for CS4?
  • Hi Yakiv, I don't believe it will work for CS4 unfortunately.
  • Hey I'm using trying the plugin on windows. The word separation mode doesn't work and there is no option for line? Also opacity doesn't seem to working? Am i doing something wrong? 

• Hey I'm using trying the plugin on windows. The word separation mode doesn't work and there is no option for line? Also opacity doesn't seem to working? Am i doing something wrong? 
    Hi Martin

Could you please email a screenshot of your word separation not working with separation guide turned on to [email protected]. In the extended tutorial it shows how to get line separation by setting it to word and increasing the threshold a lot. 

Opacity will be coming in the next update, it's not currently supported.
  • I too am using this on Windows and CC 2018 and the guide do not work for me. Enabling Range Guide does nothing visibly for me. While Enable Separation Mode turns my whole comp the solid color of the text I am trying to work with. Does not create a color range like in the videos. The effects work if I put in number it behaves as expected, but the guides do not.
  • I too am using this on Windows and CC 2018 and the guide do not work for me. Enabling Range Guide does nothing visibly for me. While Enable Separation Mode turns my whole comp the solid color of the text I am trying to work with. Does not create a color range like in the videos. The effects work if I put in number it behaves as expected, but the guides do not.
    Hi Thomas, sorry for the inconvenience. I'm currently investigating the windows 2018 version.
  • Hi, I think there is an issue with the plugin... I tried simply moving the position of the letters and the seem to crop when the text box goes past the borders of the comp... Have you ever encountered this problem?

here is a picture of what it does... https://imgur.com/a/xpDlX

• I can't get it to open. Installed it into the AES app. installed. and copied into plugins inside AE 2018.
  • When I turn on text delay it's slightly cropping the edges of my type.
  • When I turn on text delay it's slightly cropping the edges of my type.
    Hi Jason

Unfortunately this can occur with some fonts. Which one were you using?
  • I'm using "Aleck" for the font.
  • Looks like this plugin  needs to fix something with the license code. It thinks I am double dipping on the license when I open Media Encoder.
  • I've tried to use this on two projects so far and had letter cropping on both fonts used. Just spent 5mins flicking through different fonts this issue seems to affect maybe 30-40% of them.

I don't think I've ever commented on a plugin purchase before but very disappointed with this one.
  • I've tried to use this on two projects so far and had letter cropping on both fonts used. Just spent 5mins flicking through different fonts this issue seems to affect maybe 30-40% of them.

I don't think I've ever commented on a plugin purchase before but very disappointed with this one.
    Sorry about your experience Matthew. I am aware that some fonts aren't compatible and am working to address that. If you submit a ticket we can organise a refund. 
  • Just want to chime in that I'm also having issues with leading - when I apply the plugin on multi-line text, it seems to shrink the leading by a fair amount, so I have to go in and manually re-adjust each time. Would be helpful to have control over the leading in the plugin similar to tracking
  • Just want to chime in that I'm also having issues with leading - when I apply the plugin on multi-line text, it seems to shrink the leading by a fair amount, so I have to go in and manually re-adjust each time. Would be helpful to have control over the leading in the plugin similar to tracking
    Hi Marius

Thanks for your feedback. We've added a leading feature and will release it shortly. 
  • Hello !

Whenever I apply motion blur on the text layer that has TextDelay (version 1.0), it seems to crop the letter.. that's a bit annoying.

• Hello !

Whenever I apply motion blur on the text layer that has TextDelay (version 1.0), it seems to crop the letter.. that's a bit annoying.

Hi Julien

Please turn off motion blur on the layer, and enable it within the plugin to prevent that from happening. 
  • Hello !

Hi Julien

Please turn off motion blur on the layer, and enable it within the plugin to prevent that from happening. 
    Ohhh yes I just to saw the checkbox :) sorry nevermind
  • Hi, got an issue when trying to open a mac project on pc. On windows, the plugin is called "textdelay 1.5" while on mac it is just called "textdelay" so when I open it on pc, after effects gives me a missing plugin error.
  • Hi, got an issue when trying to open a mac project on pc. On windows, the plugin is called "textdelay 1.5" while on mac it is just called "textdelay" so when I open it on pc, after effects gives me a missing plugin error.
    Hi Marius

There are currently two versions of the plugin. v1.5 is CC2018 only, and v1.3 is CS6 to CC2017.
    On windows if you have v1.3 you will be able to open the mac project. 

• Hi James. The cross is for unlicensed copies, did you enter a license in the register menu?
  • Hey James,  Does this plugin not support the text stroke?  I have a really heavy stroke on my text but when I apply the plugin the stroke disappears.  It doesn't just change to the fill color either, it just ignores it.
  • Hi Tony

V1.5 re-draws the text itself so it will disregard any stroke. Versions below that should work but if the stroke is very thick it may be cutoff. Sorry for no elegant solution :(
  • Any update on opacity... it's a pretty bit deal not being able to control that. 

Also changing the delay mode to word doesn't actually use entire words, it still splits them in half / thirds.

All in all not as useful as I would have hoped but with fixes could be a real life saver!
  • Any update on opacity... it's a pretty bit deal not being able to control that. 

Also changing the delay mode to word doesn't actually use entire words, it still splits them in half / thirds.

All in all not as useful as I would have hoped but with fixes could be a real life saver!
    Hi Chris

v1.5 which was recently released introduces the opacity feature. Unfortunately as you say the word separation mode isn't set and forget, it requires tweaking of the threshold. 
  • Is there a way to add different colors to different characters/words? Currently color is only being applied to the entire text box.
  • Is there a way to add different colors to different characters/words? Currently color is only being applied to the entire text box.
    Hi Ben

In order to solve a few previous problems, v1.5 renders it's own text so it's only possible to have one colour. However version 1.2 doesn't use this method so you can have multicoloured text. Here's a link
    zip
    zip
    TextDelay_v1.2.zip
  • Hello, I appears opacity is not animating per-character, it's changing the entire layer's opacity at once.  How can I fix this?  Thanks  :)
  • Hello, I appears opacity is not animating per-character, it's changing the entire layer's opacity at once.  How can I fix this?  Thanks  :)
    Hi Royce

Do you have version 1.5 installed? It has a special opacity parameter that will animate per character.
  • Hi,
    Working with latest version in cc2019 on mac. There is no option for line only character and word. How do I delay by line please?
  • Hi,
    Working with latest version in cc2019 on mac. There is no option for line only character and word. How do I delay by line please?
    Hi Joseph

If you'd like to delay by line, select delay by word option and then increase the threshold accordingly and it will delay by line.
  • Hi, I just installed and registered 1.5 on Mac, and I'm not seeing Tracking or an Opacity by character option. Could you help?
  • How do we delay by word in 1.5? There is no longer the option to Enable Separation Guide. The tutorial no longer seems to work.

Feels like I'm pulling out my hair every time I use this plugin to figure out how to make things appear by word.

Really annoying.

• Hi, I just installed and registered 1.5 on Mac, and I'm not seeing Tracking or an Opacity by character option. Could you help?
    Hi Nolan

Apologies for the delay in responding to you, and I'll make sure I update those old tutorials to remove the confusion. 

Opacity should still be there. Tracking has been removed since it's not really needed, you can use the native character panel tracking. Please let me know if you have any further queries.

• How do we delay by word in 1.5? There is no longer the option to Enable Separation Guide. The tutorial no longer seems to work.

Feels like I'm pulling out my hair every time I use this plugin to figure out how to make things appear by word.

Really annoying.

Hi Ben

v1.5 still has the separation guide, it's under the separation group. I've put updating those tutorials on my list of things to do to avoid confusion, so apologies for that. 

To delay by word you can choose word mode (also under the separation group).
  • Hey James, does Text Delay not work with Masks?
  • Hey James, does Text Delay not work with Masks?
    Hi Jason

Could you please send an example of what you're trying to achieve? I believe the older version will work with masks. 
  • Hi. Is it possible to have each word or character use their own, centered anchor points? So instead of each word scaling up from the center of the layer, they would scale from their own center points. Thanks
  • Hi. Is it possible to have each word or character use their own, centered anchor points? So instead of each word scaling up from the center of the layer, they would scale from their own center points. Thanks
    Hi Matthew

Unfortunately that's not possible.
  • Ive noticed this plugin softening certain typefaces when applied. Any thoughts?
  • Ive noticed this plugin softening certain typefaces when applied. Any thoughts?
    Hi David

There is some softening, though it was improved in version 1.5. It shouldn't be noticeable unless you're really zoomed in. Are you noticing it more on some fonts compared to others?
  • Per "word" mode isn't working for me in AE 2020 for some reason.  Tried re-installing/licensing.   Using 1.5.3.  
  • I'm updating an old project with the original TextDelay plugin. The color of the text was split - half was red, half white. When I apply the new TextDelay 1.5 it doesn't seem to honor multiple text colors. Is this a bug? Or a fix for this? Can't seem to figure it out. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!
  • Per word doesn't work in 2020, and I'm missing Tracking, and Motion Blur in the UI.  
  • Is there a way to tell text delay to not look at the layer's parent position keyframes?