Cartoon Moblur
  • Do these trails export with Bodymovin as SVG?
  • Just bought this. The overall effect is really cool, but it does not seem to work with parented objects - eg: I need to rig up my object and move the parent around, not the object itself. If the object itself doesn't have the keyframes, I'm getting nothing. Is there a solution for this, or am I missing something? If it doesn't work with parented animations, then it's largely useless for more complex animations.

Also, the default Samples per Pixel seems to give odd stuttering at the end of my animations (eg: 2nd of 2 keyframes). Tweaking it seems to fix this, but ideally the default value should be more stable/foolproof.

• Just bought this as well. Doesn't seem to work with parented objects? Seems like a huge gap. I set up my position keyframes and then parented those to a null to add rotation. It only honors the positional keyframes. Is there a workaround? If not, that really limits the complexity of the animation, especially if you need to worry about revising every single layer.
  • Just bought this as well. Doesn't seem to work with parented objects? Seems like a huge gap. I set up my position keyframes and then parented those to a null to add rotation. It only honors the positional keyframes. Is there a workaround? If not, that really limits the complexity of the animation, especially if you need to worry about revising every single layer.
    Hi John, thanks for your feedback. Currently it does not work with parented layers however we're working on an update to make it compatible with layers that are parented. 
  • Just bought this. The overall effect is really cool, but it does not seem to work with parented objects - eg: I need to rig up my object and move the parent around, not the object itself. If the object itself doesn't have the keyframes, I'm getting nothing. Is there a solution for this, or am I missing something? If it doesn't work with parented animations, then it's largely useless for more complex animations.

Also, the default Samples per Pixel seems to give odd stuttering at the end of my animations (eg: 2nd of 2 keyframes). Tweaking it seems to fix this, but ideally the default value should be more stable/foolproof.

Thanks for your feedback Michael. We're working on an update to make it compatible with layers that are parented. 

In regards to the samples per pixel, I found that needs more adjusting the more easing that's applied. Ease and Wizz expo needs many more samples than sine due to the drastic change in velocity. I'll keep this in mind for any updates. 
  • Really cool script! Would be great if it would work also in 3D space in X and Y axis (rotation) and Z space. It responds to Z rotation and X, Y in 3D space which is good.

Super thanks for the script!
  • it's a native plugin not a script ;-)
  • it's a native plugin not a script ;-)
    Sorry! :D My mistake... Knew it, but wasnt thinking while writing the message. Would be great to have Moblur work on those additional 3D axises ;)
    Hi Jeremiah.

I'm not sure as I've not used Bodymovin before sorry. You're most welcome to download the free trial and see if it's compatible. 
  • I tried out the trial, overall very fun plugin!

Unfortunately it does not seem to work when animating along a path? The trails ignored all the path bends. Did I do something wrong or is this not (yet) supported?
  • I tried out the trial, overall very fun plugin!

Unfortunately it does not seem to work when animating along a path? The trails ignored all the path bends. Did I do something wrong or is this not (yet) supported?
    Hi Michael

Thanks! Bezier pathing is coming in an update scheduled to be released within a week so stay tuned.
  • Thanks James! Looking forward to that :)
    I tried out the trial, overall very fun plugin!

Hi Michael

Thanks! Bezier pathing is coming in an update scheduled to be released within a week so stay tuned.

• Just purchased - the 1.5 beta is quite fantastic!  :)
    Will you implement a start to end (changing per step) opacity option as well..? ;)
    Thanks, Lars.
  • Just purchased - the 1.5 beta is quite fantastic!  :)
    Will you implement a start to end (changing per step) opacity option as well..? ;)
    Thanks, Lars.
    Hi Lars
    Thanks for your feedback. We certainly will be adding that option and a heap more in the next version. Stay tuned!
  • Looking through tutorials trying to decide on a purchase. Looks like an amazing plugin, but my two hesitations right now are the buffer limited to the comp size.

I wish there was a solution built in that didn't require pre-comping. I generally work with massive project files and I try to keep pre-comping to a minimum to cut down on render times.

The second hesitation is the anchor-point-based vanishing point. It would be nice to customize that point maybe to the anchor point, but also a custom layer. Ideally I'd be able to use a null layer to control the vanishing point to have more control over where and how my layer scales and rotates.

Any chance on addressing these issues?
    I've same question before.
    I just tried this morning, and sadly it doesn't work with Bodymovin
  • Just purchased, and it is a neat effect, for sure. There does still seem to be limitations on parented objects however. It works great while there are active keyframes on the object with cartoon moblur applied, but if you have a parent null whose keyframed animation extends beyond the range of its child (cartoon moblur) object, the trails will fail to render where those extended periods of time occur.... Which is a bummer. 
    Or a simpler example, if you are using a parent null to control lets say the position of a child object with cartoon moblur applied, and that child object has no keyframes, no trails will render. It seems the plugin doesn't know to render trails unless there are active keyframes on the layer where the plugin is applied. 

One more thing, just for the sake of documentation. The effect behaves the exact same way as with parenting, when it comes to shape layers, and their transforms, i.e. Transform: Rectangle 1 / Shape 1. 

If you animate a shape's position with cartoon moblur applied, nothing will happen. However, if you animate the native Transform : position property in the same range as your shape transform animation, both animations will be taken into account, if that makes sense. 
  • Just saw this and thought, maybe Cartoon Moblur could implement scale / rotation / variation offsets..? Opacity I mentioned before...  ;) Thanks!

Hi Michael

The parenting issue was a big limitation. Version 1.5 has addressed this and also features new quality params. 
  • Just saw this and thought, maybe Cartoon Moblur could implement scale / rotation / variation offsets..? Opacity I mentioned before...  ;) Thanks!
    Thanks for the suggestion Lars, transformational offsets per sample could be quite handy. We'll consider this in a future update. Version 2 will include colour correction per sample so these should go well together. 
  • Hello, just letting you know that your script was mentioned in the discussion in Motion Lovers Group.
    Here is a direct link to the comment: https://facebook.com/1077996278900703_1786120368088287?comment_id=1786339828066341
    Thanks for the link Yakiv!
  • Just purchased, and it is a neat effect, for sure. There does still seem to be limitations on parented objects however. It works great while there are active keyframes on the object with cartoon moblur applied, but if you have a parent null whose keyframed animation extends beyond the range of its child (cartoon moblur) object, the trails will fail to render where those extended periods of time occur.... Which is a bummer. 
    Or a simpler example, if you are using a parent null to control lets say the position of a child object with cartoon moblur applied, and that child object has no keyframes, no trails will render. It seems the plugin doesn't know to render trails unless there are active keyframes on the layer where the plugin is applied. 

One more thing, just for the sake of documentation. The effect behaves the exact same way as with parenting, when it comes to shape layers, and their transforms, i.e. Transform: Rectangle 1 / Shape 1. 

If you animate a shape's position with cartoon moblur applied, nothing will happen. However, if you animate the native Transform : position property in the same range as your shape transform animation, both animations will be taken into account, if that makes sense. 
    Hi James

Thanks for your detailed feedback. You're correct if there aren't any transformation keyframes, then no trail will render. The messy workaround is to source the animation from a separate null (that has no children) and keyframe it's transforms to suit. A better way might be to include a "force samples" parameter that would force the trail to draw. If you have any ideas please let me know. This could be addressed in version 2.
  • Looking through tutorials trying to decide on a purchase. Looks like an amazing plugin, but my two hesitations right now are the buffer limited to the comp size.

I wish there was a solution built in that didn't require pre-comping. I generally work with massive project files and I try to keep pre-comping to a minimum to cut down on render times.

The second hesitation is the anchor-point-based vanishing point. It would be nice to customize that point maybe to the anchor point, but also a custom layer. Ideally I'd be able to use a null layer to control the vanishing point to have more control over where and how my layer scales and rotates.

Any chance on addressing these issues?
    Hi Nick

If Cartoon Moblur is applied to an adjustment layer then no precomping/continuous rasterization is required. This is a new feature introduced in version 1.5. 

If you need to apply the effect to the layer itself, then precomping is a prequesite to some layers having continuous rasterization checked. I'm not 100% sure, but I wouldn't think that a 500x500 layer would be any more computationally efficient than that same layer inside a 500x500 precomp?

• Is there a description available of what's changed in the 1.5 release?  I didn't even know that there was a new release until I happened to see that mentioned here.  Do notifications of that sort come from the vendor or aescripts?  I often get them for other products anyway.
  • Is there a description available of what's changed in the 1.5 release?  I didn't even know that there was a new release until I happened to see that mentioned here.  Do notifications of that sort come from the vendor or aescripts?  I often get them for other products anyway.
    Hi Mark

You need to be subscribed to updates (https://aescripts.com/subscription) for you to be notified by email when a product has a new release. If you have facebook, twitter, instagram, youtube or vimeo we post updates to those platforms.

Here's a video of the new features in v1.5:

We're currently working on more documentation and video tutorials. 
    Hi Mark

I think you need to be subscribed to updates for you to be notified by email when a product has a new release. If you have facebook, twitter, instagram, youtube or vimeo we post updates to those platforms.

Here's a video of the new features in v1.5:

We're currently working on more documentation and video tutorials. 
    Wow James.  Thanks for the info on the subscription thing here on aescripts.  Didn't even know that existed & I've been here for years. I don't do social media so having this is a big help. Will have to send a note to Lloyd though about making that a LOT more user friendly.  I should also be automatically tied to any purchase.

• Wow James.  Thanks for the info on the subscription thing here on aescripts.  Didn't even know that existed & I've been here for years. I don't do social media so having this is a big help. Will have to send a note to Lloyd though about making that a LOT more user friendly.  I should also be automatically tied to any purchase.

You get asked if you want to be notified when you checkout and can also-sign up and manage them here: https://aescripts.com/subscription
  • Ah.  Thanks Lloyd.  I'm sure I had being doing that but when I checked yesterday they were all cleared.
  • A really great effect indeed. I've been playing with it for a few days and still be amazed about how good and quick it is, endless possibilities too. Hope to see more tuts from you guys.

• I bought the software, but I can not use it.Program screen has a watermark

• I bought the software, but I can not use it.Program screen has a watermark
    Hi Liu Mei Ju

Is that a problem inside After Effects or when you render it? Sometimes there's a problem with the watermark appearing if rendered from Media Encoder or BG Renderer. 
  • Seems to be the software did not crack the completion of the problem and then test the other computer as well~Thank you for your reply
  • Hi. I'm just getting two bars creating an "X" across my screen with the demo. Wondering if this is intentional?
  • Hi. I'm just getting two bars creating an "X" across my screen with the demo. Wondering if this is intentional?

Please check the faq:
    https://aescripts.com/knowledgebase/index/view/faq/how-to-register-plugins/
  • Hi

I installed the files in the advised directory but it does not show up in After Effects, could you please advise?

I tried installing it in all the AE 'Plugins' folders in Windows but still nothing...
  • Hi

I installed the files in the advised directory but it does not show up in After Effects, could you please advise?

I tried installing it in all the AE 'Plugins' folders in Windows but still nothing...
    Make sure you have restarted AE and you will find it under the Effect->Pluging Everything submenu. If you don't see it please use our Manager app to install. And if you still need help open a support ticket https://aescripts.com/contact/?direct=1
  • Hi. I just downloaded the demo version but keep getting this message while firing up After Effects:

After Effects error" opening resource file "CartoonMoblur_v1.5.2.aex". (3::54)

After Effects CC 2018.
  • Hi. I just downloaded the demo version but keep getting this message while firing up After Effects:

After Effects CC 2018.
    open a support ticket 

After Effects CC 2018.
    Hi Alejandro

Could you please open a support ticket  and let me know which version of windows you're running?
  • I am trying the trial version and so far all I am getting is it crashing my project. I seen this at the tail end of the project and am using the plug in, but it is crashing. 
  • I am trying the trial version and so far all I am getting is it crashing my project. I seen this at the tail end of the project and am using the plug in, but it is crashing. 

Could you please open a support ticket  and include your system
    Information
  • Tested this with shape layers and solids but neither worked. Is it only supposed to work with certain types of layers?

Tried both comped, uncomped, with and without motion blur turned on. Even if the layer was moving fast, it wasn't working.
  • Wade Ha said:
    Tested this with shape layers and solids but neither worked. Is it only supposed to work with certain types of layers?

Tried both comped, uncomped, with and without motion blur turned on. Even if the layer was moving fast, it wasn't working.
    Hi Wade

It works with all layer types. Regarding solids, they must be set to continuous rasterization. Also if there's parented animation, the parent needs to be set in the motion source (this is especially important if it's just been applied to an adjustment layer, as the adjustment layer itself doesn't usually move). If it's still not working as expected please submit a bug report and I'll look into it asap. https://aescripts.com/contact/?direct=1
  • Also having problems getting Cartoon Moblur to work consistently (support ticket sent). Love the plugin though and look forward to using it more!
  • When using Cartoon Moblur on a text layer with Animators, I get nothing until I set the Motion Threshold to 0.00. Is this normal behavior?

After Effects 2020 in Windows 10, btw.
  • When providing AE projects to other clients - will they require this plugin in order to edit text with this effect on it?
  • When providing AE projects to other clients - will they require this plugin in order to edit text with this effect on it?
    Hi David, yes unfortunately the client will require the plugin to draw the trails. 
  • When using Cartoon Moblur on a text layer with Animators, I get nothing until I set the Motion Threshold to 0.00. Is this normal behavior?

After Effects 2020 in Windows 10, btw.
    Hi Joel
    This is not expected behaviour. Could you please open a support ticket? Thanks. 
  • Hi, I've installed the plugin in the correct folder yet it fails to appear in After Effects. I've downloaded the latest version too, I can't seem to fix this. Help would be much appreciated :)
  • Hi, I've installed the plugin in the correct folder yet it fails to appear in After Effects. I've downloaded the latest version too, I can't seem to fix this. Help would be much appreciated :)
    Please use our manager app to install: https://aescripts.com/learn/aescripts-aeplugins-manager-app/
    If you still need help open a support ticket https://aescripts.com/contact/?direct=1