BAO Mask Brush
  • Hallucinant! Wow!!!
  • I have never felt $63 attempt to go AWOL out of my life so fast ever.  What the holy voodoo shite is this?!

(I feel like that kid that wants the bb-gun from A Christmas Story)

• What's as crazy and creative as this script? The art of the man who created it. Just Google him. You can tell by the tool that Francois has been influenced by C4D. 

I'm a sucker for stuff like this.

People are going to create some real stunning work with this...but it's also going to be a sinkhole for wasting a lot of time doodling around! LOL.
  • I've just been playing with this.  It's great!

I have one question.  Is there a way to move the brushes along the mask continuously?  I know you can animate the start and end position.  I suppose I'm looking for something like an Offset value.  Similar to the Dashes Offset on a shape's stroke.
  • Hi Paul!

Unfortunately, there is no Offset parameter for the moment.
    But I'll try to add one for the next update! (you're not the only one asking for it...)

Cheers,
    François
  • Yeah, it would be great for smoke effects.

Thanks.
  • Brilliant! Haven't tried it yet but definitely brilliant. The demo too.

Btw you should correct the "Gemoetry settings" in your Mask_Brush_Fill effect.

Xavier.
  • Hi Xavier!

Thanks! And thank you for checking my spelling ;-)

François
  • I need to animate a TON of lines with arrowheads in a current project. You'd think AE would add arrowheads to their shape layer. Until that happens, this lets you do it on one layer, with one path, rather than one auto-oriented arrowhead layer per line + cutting/pasting the motion path! Just create one arrowhead brush layer, one "line" brush layer (a dot or square), add two instances of the effect to a solid with a mask, check composite on original, and voila!

Besides all the amazing cool stuff it does, this is a very utilitarian but nice use.

Curious if there's another way to do it out there beyond the standard two-layer-per-line solution.
  • @Eric Nice tip, thanks for sharing!
  • Hi everyone!

The plugin's been updated.
    I fixed a position computation bug. (percentage of path on straight lines)
    I added an "Offset" parameter, so you can move brushes along the path.

Hope you like it!

François
  • Thanks for the quick update.  Now it's even better!

The Offset is very welcome.  It doesn't quite do what I was hoping, but think I understand why.  I had the wrong expectations.

Still a great tool.

Thanks
  • Hi Paul,

if you expected something else, feel free to ask.
    I can't promise I'll do it, but who knows...

François
  • I was trying to achieve a smoke effect.  So I create a puff of smoke as the brush and apply it to an upward slanting mask line.  Then I set the start size at zero percent, the middle at 50% and the end at 100%.  So the smoke grows and spreads as it goes along the mask.  I was hoping that the offset would make the brushes move along the mask line and get bigger.  So in a way it looks like a simple particle system.

However, I now realise that is not what an offset really does.  An offset moves the start and end point along and keeps them equal distance apart.  Where as I actually want the start and end point to stay where they are and the brushes to move.  I imagine that what I'm describing would be difficult to do because Mask Brush sets the size of the brush instances before it does anything else.

I'm still trying to think if there are other ways to try and do it.  It's not something I desperately need.  I just though it would be a easy way of creating controllable 2D particle systems.

I still love it.  :)
  • Hey Paul!

You can do this:

instead of setting start size at 0, middle at 50 and end at 100, set the 3 of them at 100.
    Then set the advanced settings. If ou got 3 points: 0, 50, 100. If you got 4: 0, 33, 66, 100...

Now move your brushes with offset...
    Is it what you expected?

I hope so :-)

Cheers,
    François
  • I've just tried it.  It does work!

I'd overlooked the advance settings as I thought they were just for fine tuning of the basic settings.

Thank you!  It's perfect!  :D
  • I quickly created a smoke test.  It literally took a just a few minutes.  :)

It uses a painted blob of greys as the brush.  Followed by Turbulence Displace, Fast Blur and Bevel Alpha in the main composition.
  • Thanx for sharing, really nice! :-)
  • How the heck did you do the spider? Are those legs also done with the plugin? I mean the shape of them?
  • Hi Franck!

This is all mask animation, using Mask Avenger: https://aescripts.com/bao-mask-avenger/
    Everything's "Rendered" with Mask Brush.
    For the legs, I simply used a circle as a brush (as for the octopus's tentacles).

Cheers,
    François
    Spider.jpg
    311 x 451 - 63K
  • Hey,
    Been playing with the demo and have a couple of points:

1. Offsetting the brush itself. Now it just centring the brush. It would be awesome if you could offset the anchor point of the brush.
    2. A setting that would allow you to play an animated brush once and let it stay "finished" but honour the start-end point when animated. I mean that the start-end position would trigger the brush (if animated).
    3. There is a bug when you chose any other than "Still frame" or "Play once" in Time sampling. The brush get very tiny and is positioned weird.
  • Hi Tobias!

1. Offsetting the brush: good idea! I'll add an anchor point parameter...
    But if you're using shapes or precomps, you can already do it. Just move the shape, or the layer inside the precomp, and it will offset the brush...

2. I'll keep it in mind for the next update, but I must say I'm not sure how to do it :)

3. This is weird... I've tested it on different platforms and AE versions, and never saw this bug.
    Which kind of brush do you use: footage, shape, precomp?
    Cos' for example, if you move shapes or rasterized comps inside your main comp, it will change the "offset" of the brush...
    If it doesn't come from this, can you send me a project so I can check?

Cheers,
    Francois
  • Hi, I just purchased the plugin and absolutely love it! I noticed something odd however:

- When I use mask brush and close the project and then start a new project and apply mask brush again to a new layer, it seems to cache the old project. The path and solid are showing up in the new project even before anything has been defined. The only workaround I've found so far is to completely restart AE which is kind of a hassle. Hope you can help. I'm running Windows 7 64bit and AE CC.

Cheers...
  • Hi Bill!

Thanx for your feedback, I'll fix it as soon as possible.

Cheers,
    Francois

PS: until I release the update, you can purge the cache, no need to restart AE...
  • Thanks a bunch Francois! Also, is there any chance to get some more in depth tutorial videos for both Mask Brush and Mask Fill?
  • Yes, I'll try to make some more tutorials...

If you have a specific need , just tell me, other users will probably be interested too.
  • Hi everyone!

Update v1.2 is available.
    The memory / cache bug's been fixed.
    I also added an "Anchor" parameter in both Basic and Advanced settings.

You can now "offset" brush's anchor point along the path.

Cheers,
    Francois
  • Hi Francois, I have a question regarding animated brush layers. I have an object that rotates 360 degrees in one second (keyframed) with a loop expression attached. This is precomped. When I use the precomp as a brush, the brush works but the animation (rotation) doesn't. Any help as to what I'm doing wrong would be greatly appreciated. Thanks also for the quick update with the new version!

Cheers..
  • Hi Bill, first of all, make sure the rotation keyframes are inside the precomp.
    Then, choose a "Time sampling" mode.

For example, if you choose "from 0 to selection" and set "Frame selector" to 25 (one second if the frame rate is 25...), your brush will make one revolution along the path.

You can have a look at the user's guide for description of other "Time sampling" modes.

I'll make a tutorial about it, it's way easier to show than to explain :)

Cheers,
    François
  • Hi everyone!

You'll find a new tutorial about "Time sampling" in the videos panel.

Hope you like it!
  • Thanks again so much Francois! Any chance to add multiple brushes to a mask in a future version?
  • Hi Bill,

The UI would get really complicated, cos' there would be several layer parameters, options to arrange brushes...
    And how many should I add? Some people would need just one, others a hundred.

But I'll keep it in mind :-)

For the moment, you can do like this:

_use a precomp as a brush.
    _inside the precomp, arrange your multiple brushes with "Keyframe assistant/Sequence layers".
    _now you can play with "Time sampling" to arrange your "multiple" brushes along the path.

An other option is to use several Mask_Brush instances, with "Composite on original" checked.

Cheers,
    François
  • Hey Francois

I've downloaded the trial version, and I've used it in CS5 on Vista and CC on Windows7 on separate machines, and I'm encountering the same problem, which makes me think there's something I'm not getting...

But the time sampling doesn't seem to work properly - it appears that the plug in can't see the length of a brush duration, and automatically assumes just 5 frames. Random frames always fall between frame 0 and frame 4, looping only gets as far as frame 4.

Any idea what might be causing this? It seems to be the same issue ragerdless of the length of the brush layer.

cheers

R

• Hi Richard,

this bug is supposed to be fixed. Did you download the last update?
    If you did, can you send me a file so I can check?

Cheers,
    François
  • Hey there

Thanks for responding so quickly. Is there anywhere I can send you the file? I can't upload it here.

But it was just the trail version that I downloaded yesterday.

cheers

Richard

• I am encountering a major bug with this plugin.

I have a file with MaskBrush applied to several layers, all solids. The effect is being used as an alpha matte to reveal stuff underneath (like it is being painted on). Everything is working great and then, all of a sudden, the effect just disappears. MaskBrush is still in the effects palette, all keyframes are in the timeline, but nothing is showing up on screen at all. This happens at random times...sometimes when I adjust the keyframes or when moving the layer on the timeline. Never consistent when it stops working.

Purging cache does not bring it back. I turned off hard disk cache too. Quitting and re-opening AE sometimes will bring it back, but not every time. Even a full system restart does not fix the problem consistently.

FYI Im on the latest version of CS6 (10.0.2.11), on a Mac, running OSX 10.6.8. I have the 1.3 version of MaskBrush installed (not the demo version).

Any ideas? I have lost a bunch of work/time trying to work around this annoying bug. 

• Thanks for responding so quickly. Is there anywhere I can send you the file? I can't upload it here.Richard

Please open a support ticket and you can submit your file there. Please include a brief description of your issue so we can track it properly
  • I am encountering a major bug with this plugin.

I have a file with MaskBrush applied to several layers, all solids. The effect is being used as an alpha matte to reveal stuff underneath (like it is being painted on). Everything is working great and then, all of a sudden, the effect just disappears. MaskBrush is still in the effects palette, all keyframes are in the timeline, but nothing is showing up on screen at all. This happens at random times...sometimes when I adjust the keyframes or when moving the layer on the timeline. Never consistent when it stops working.

Purging cache does not bring it back. I turned off hard disk cache too. Quitting and re-opening AE sometimes will bring it back, but not every time. Even a full system restart does not fix the problem consistently.

FYI Im on the latest version of CS6 (10.0.2.11), on a Mac, running OSX 10.6.8. I have the 1.3 version of MaskBrush installed (not the demo version).

Any ideas? I have lost a bunch of work/time trying to work around this annoying bug. 

Hi Micah,

this bug is due to a problem with AE's cache. (starting with CS5.5 from what I experienced...)
    It's affecting effects that use another layer as an input.
    I've seen that bug with Trapcode Particular too, for example.

I'm still trying to find a solution, but I have to admit it's difficult as AE doesn't send error or whatever that could give the beginning of a clue... and the bug isn't consistent.

From what I saw, you don't need to quit AE, re-opening the project can bring it back (but not every time).

Sorry, no good news right now, but be sure I'm still working on it.

Cheers,
    François
  • Argh!
    My freelance employer just bought this for me today at my request.
    It does not work. crash, crash, crash.
    Perhaps you should warn people to read the comments before purchase.
    I am on cc 12.0  osx 10.8.5,
    Will the 12.1 update fix this?
    sorry about the tone, it is frustrating.
  • It looks like you also opened a support ticket. As noted there please provide a project file along with as many details as you can provide so that we are better able to identify the cause of the crash.
  • Hi everyone!

Mask Brush v1.4 is now available:

Bugs have been fixed (in 'Time sampling' and 'Brush' selector).

Discover the new feature: Squash & Stretch!

Cheers,
    François
  • Just wanted to say a big THANK YOU to François and the entire team at AEscripts!! The version 1.4 of Maskbrush is now rock solid, thank you so much for fixing the bug issue so quickly. You guys are the best!!
  • Hi, I purchased the plugin a while back and really love using it. I've noticed something a bit strange though since the last release. When I use squash and stretch, I'm not able to start pre-render from the beginning of the timeline. In order to get the pre-render working, I have to advance several frames in the timeline (otherwise pre-render won't start. It's just stuck) Any ideas why this is happening? BTW, this happens in both CC and CS6.
  • Hi Bill,

thanx for the feedback, I'll have a look at it.

Cheers,
    François
  • Hi Bill,

I couldn't reproduce the issue on my side... Can you send me a file so I can check?

You can open a support ticket to send us the file

Cheers,
    François
  • Hi Bill,

the bug's fixed.
    The brush was so big after 'Squash & Stretch' computation that it was way too big to be rendered.
    Values are now clamped to 'reasonable' size.

Cheers,
    François
  • Thanks Francois!
  • Is there a way have a "brush" draw on as a reveal like stroke. It seems like when i draw on there is still animation going on in the element. I want it to act like a real photoshop brush.  Right now it feels like all the brush instances are clumped into the beginning and than they spread out to fit to the shape. Does this make sense?