Layer Groups 2
  • Sometimes Layer group doesn't expand any more for some reason,  its ganna be a good idea to add like a refresh button to re enable the disabled group, what's your opinion ?
  • Sometimes Layer group doesn't expand any more for some reason,  its ganna be a good idea to add like a refresh button to re enable the disabled group, what's your opinion ?
    Hey there, can you send me a scene where this happens? or reproduce it in a video... that's the only way I can see what the issue might be ? thanks.  What do you mean a disabled group ? 
  • A disabled group , is the group that can't be expanded.
    usually it happens after I use the isolate tools
  • This is a video recording about the issue 

• Hi Basem, thanks for taking the time to send the vid and show me. Ok so it's a small thing. When you use isolate, consider that it uses the comments fields to detect what should be shown or not shown (SHY) - so Layer Groups expand and contract use it too. 

The issue you are having is Isolate is leaving the group layer and some of the children layers selected, even though they are hidden. So deselect all first and then re-select just the group layer. Here is the shortcut below. Also you could use Shift+Expand all groups and Shift + collapse all, as that will work too.

Deselect all

F2 or Ctrl+Shift+A

F2 or Command+Shift+A

• Hello Alan,

I am auditioning your trial version.  Very nice work.  I do have a question.  I created a group that contains layers a few of which are null objects containing tracking data.  I have selected that group including its children and attempted to move the position of the group but it appears as the the tracking points do not move in concert with the others.  Is this possible?

​Set Up:
    ​My initial composition was set to 1280 x 720 which contains the final layers, tracking, etc.
    ​I then reset the composition size to 1920 x 1080 and would like to move the previous layers to a different location (which is why I sought your grouping plugin)

Cheers,

Quint
  • Hi Quint, the layer group is just for organisational purposes, if you slide it around it will not move the children, if you select the children and the group layer and move them left or right in the timeline, it will obviously move all the keys...   

Sometimes, a precomp is the only way to achieve what you are talking about, where the layers are actually baked together as one. Layer Groups keeps all the layers "live" in the timeline but can help workflow by convenient hiding/showing etc. There are quick bake/unbake (pre-comping) tool buttons on the Layer Groups UI also. 

Best thing to do when trying out a product is use it on simple comps, with just solids, and keys to get a feel for how it works, before introducing it to a complicated comp. LG takes full control of shying and comments. Also check out the settings for things you can switch on and off.

• Hello Alan,

Thanks for your quick and comprehensive response.  I was able to accomplish my goals as you suggested.  Having spent a bit of time with your script, this appears as though it should be core After Effects' functionality.  I'm glad you created Layer Groups because it will save many folks precious time! 
  • Hi,
    Is there any plan to convert this script into an extension that uses new UI technology to be fast and dynamic ?
  • Hi,
    Is there any plan to convert this script into an extension that uses new UI technology to be fast and dynamic ?
    Hi Basem, no plans at the moment to rebuild script as a CEP panel.
  • I can't imagine AE without Layer Group scrip

and I hop you keep developing this script more and more 
  • Hello,

It's Quint again.  I've recently spun up CC 2018 and followed the process to add your script per the directions in the video.  Nothing appears in the AE Window menu.  Is the plugin compatible?

Never mind.  I should have re-read the installation instructions.
  • Hi Alan,

Thanks for making this!  Is working great and I plan to purchase, except I had some strange behavior, including crashes and phantom frames, in AE CC 2019 version, although seems to be fine in the 2018 version.  Have you successfully used the script in the 2019 version?  If not I'll just use the 2018 version, since that's well worth it for this script!

Thanks again,
    Jesse
  • Hi Alan,

Thanks for making this!  Is working great and I plan to purchase, except I had some strange behavior, including crashes and phantom frames, in AE CC 2019 version, although seems to be fine in the 2018 version.  Have you successfully used the script in the 2019 version?  If not I'll just use the 2018 version, since that's well worth it for this script!

Thanks again,
    Jesse
    Hey there can you raise a ticket and possibly send me the comp on wetransfer ? I can take a look... 
  • Alan, thanks for your fast reply, and sorry for not getting back to you sooner...I'll definitely have some time to send you what I have this weekend. 
    Thanks again,
    Jesse
  • Well all be, I can't get AE 2019 to give me any problems now.  Maybe it was just some fluke.  Thanks again for the script, I'm just learning AE, and this is great to not have to precompose everything just to maintain intelligibility (with precomps bringing their own obfuscation).

By the way, I was just curious why group null layers often have seemingly randomly numbered and positioned markers show up on them? 

Thanks,
    Jesse

• By the way, I was just curious why group null layers often have seemingly randomly numbered and positioned markers show up on them? 

Thanks,
    Jesse
    Its because the child layers are hidden, that is the actual index of the layers. Make sure you understand - Shying, comments fully in the timeline first before my script, and then what the script does will make sense...  ie. all the layers are there but just not visible in the timeline.
  • That makes sense, it's the total number of layers in the group.  I think I was confused before because there were some layers that didn't actually belong to a group, which is clearly seen when I turn on the comments column in the timeline as you say (and turned off some others to make room).  Your stacking/sorting button works great to fix that!
    Thanks,
    Jesse
  • Any plans on updating this Alan and is it compatible with latest AE 2019?

Cheers
  • Hi Alan,
    I am deciding on purchase your script, but I have a question
    I usually share my work with other artists and what can we expect if they not have installed Layer Groups?

Very good work!!
    Thanks
  • Any plans on updating this Alan and is it compatible with latest AE 2019?

Cheers
    Yes should work fine... Layer groups does very basic layer manipulation, that should not conflict with latest versions, there is always a trial to check everything out to be ultra-sure...

Hi Alan,
    I am deciding on purchase your script, but I have a question
    I usually share my work with other artists and what can we expect if they not have installed Layer Groups?

Very good work!!
    Thanks
    Hey there, it appears with group layers and looks same as if you have the plugin installed, - the user just has to click the shy/unshy button to reveal all the layers and re- interpret the composition. It just depends on if you have setup parenting/expressions referencing the group layers, so probably a little manual tidying up, unless its a gigantic project.
    Just close the script and see what you have, and play around, without using any of the LG functions, that's exactly what the other user would see.

• Any plans on making this floating license compatible? It doesn't make sense for our shop to license everyone.
  • Hi there, I've been searching for something like this for a loooong time as I need it for an passion animation project, and I finally found your script but it's discontinued :( Is there anywhere I can still get it? It will save me loads of time, please let me know here or send me an email [email protected]
  • is there any alternatives like this for AE? This script is a life saver. Wish it was still being developed
  • Adam Pope said:
    is there any alternatives like this for AE? This script is a life saver. Wish it was still being developed
    Hey there my sincere apologies, no time for development./ maintenance..  if you have bought the script(previously) it is working on most installations except newest version of Mac os. May come back to it in the future. Snoop around the site - there are some other solutions like Layer Storage etc. 

Thank you 
    Alan.
  • Adam Pope said:
    is there any alternatives like this for AE? This script is a life saver. Wish it was still being developed
    Hey there my sincere apologies, no time for development./ maintenance..  if you have bought the script(previously) it is working on most installations except newest version of Mac os. May come back to it in the future. Snoop around the site - there are some other solutions like Layer Storage etc. 

Thank you 
    Alan.
    I already have this so i'm ok, but why not keep it for sale, but say the version it was working up to and that for now there is no support available currently? So users using this outside of its past working do so at their own risk - so test the trial thoroughly first? Just an idea :) Then if you re-visit this it can be updated in the future. Just put a notice on the products page?