• I am having trouble loading this on a Mac os10.68, CS 5.5 it keeps giving me errors ....
  • what do the errors say?
  • Is it American spelling?
  • yes it's american, but you can create your own dictionary for use with it, you just need a text file with each word for your dictionary on a separate line and run the buildDictionary script in the spellCheckFiles folder.
  • Any chance it will it work with AE CC? OS X9.5?
  • Any chance it will it work with AE CC? OS X9.5?
    It definitely works in AE CC.  I don't know about osx 9.5.

You can download the script for free and give it a try.  I bet it works!
  • I installed the script and everything seems to work except the "suggest word" option. I'm connected to the internet as the instructions suggested but nothing happens when you click the button. I am running OS 10.10.3 on AE CC2014 and made sure to install the files in the Scripts folder. Is there anything I missed?
  • Do you have the "allow scripts to access the network" option selected?  it is in general preferences.
  • That fixed it. Thanks so much!
  • I don't have eagle's eyes to verify all spelling errors after long hours in front of computer, english is not my first language and I always get embarrassed when client send an e-mail to correct spelling mistakes... So it's time to change that for good! Congratulations! This is awesome!
    PS: It's working great but for an unknown reason it can't display suggestions for the misspelled word detected "colission".
  • Does this work on CC2015?
  • Does it work while editing a dynamic link comp in Premiere?
  • Does it work while editing a dynamic link comp in Premiere?
    Do you mean you are creating text in premiere; dynamic linking it to a ae comp; run spell check on text.

If that is what you are trying to do, I don't think it will work, but it would be pretty easy to test.
  • In case anybody is interested in using the buildDictionary.jsx in AE CC versions to build their custom dictionaries they have to change line 37 which is:
    masterFilePath = fileGetDialog('Open the master list to create the dictionary structure','*');
    to
    masterFilePath = File.openDialog('Open the master list to create the dictionary structure','*');

• Does this check all nested precomps (without clicking into all of them) for spelling errors?
  • Does this check all nested precomps (without clicking into all of them) for spelling errors?
    yes
  • Hi, 

Thanks so much for providing this.

What would be really handy to have would be a button which triggers the popup window implemented as a UI panel,

So that one doesn't have to manually trigger the script to appear.

Also I can't change the size of the floating panel, meaning sometimes I have a lot of suggestions but I can't see them all as the window is too small.

Thanks again for providing this script though. 
  • Can someone update this for CC or 20?  Spellcheck works but won't add to dictionary.  I've even changed the .jsx as stated below.  
  • I fixed the dictionary build functionality.
  • Thanks for the update! I have been using this script for years and it's a life saver. If you're ever looking to add features it would be awesome if there was a button to display the misspelled text layer in the comp. Thanks.

Kevin
  • Could you please ad an exit/cancel button so you don't have to check the entire project to completion.

Terrific script, bought it today, love it.

Great work.
  • When I click on suggest word nothing happens, the screen goes blank and there's only a cancel button. No word gets corrected.

• When I click on suggest word nothing happens, the screen goes blank and there's only a cancel button. No word gets corrected.

Make sure you have the after effects setting: "Allow scripts to write files and access network" checked as the script queries a website to get the suggestions.

This setting is in different locations in the preferences panel depending on which version of after effects you're using (either scripting tab, or general tab in older versions of after effects).
    scriptAccessb.png
    876 x 711 - 52K
  • Can anyone confirm that this plugin works with Ae 2021 v18.4? Thanks!
  • Mike! Brian Foote here!

Does this work in 2021/2022 Ae versions?

• Mike! Brian Foote here!

Does this work in 2021/2022 Ae versions?

Hey Brian,

Great to hear from you!

Yes, this works in 2021/22
  • Hi there, Just downloaded for AE 2022 – which folder do install in as it won't install automatically – I put all files and folders in the AE Scripts folder (Mac) but should they go in the (support) folder?

Thanks

Bob
  • Hi there, Just downloaded for AE 2022 – which folder do install in as it won't install automatically – I put all files and folders in the AE Scripts folder (Mac) but should they go in the (support) folder?

Thanks

Bob
    Hi Bob,

scripts folder is fine.

Alternatively, you can have the script anywhere, and go to the menu File->Scripts->Run Script File...

and navigate to the script

• HI there,

I created an account so I could post a comment.
    My company has a use case that would benefit from this plugin, but there are multiple concerns flagged around data privacy, security, and handling.

Is there any more information you could provide on what data goes where and why during the use of this plugin?

• My company has a use case that would benefit from this plugin, but there are multiple concerns flagged around data privacy, security, and handling.

Is there any more information you could provide on what data goes where and why during the use of this plugin?
    Hi Adrian,

The script does almost everything locally on your computer.  The only time the script accesses the outside world is when you click the suggest word button for misspelled word.  When you do this, the word in question gets sent to my web server, which returns a list of words that may be what you meant.

That's it.  The only data sent outside your computer is misspelled words (and only if you click the suggest word button).

• Hello, I keep trying to start the script but it says:
    Script Alert: "Can't find dictionary file can you show me where it is?"
    after clicking yes it says "unable to execute script at line 86. function folderGetDialog is undefined"

What am I doing wrong? One time it showed the spellcheck window with a few buttons that I was unable to expand. after closing and trying to reopen, the program kept doing the above again.

Thanks for your help!
  • Did not work for me. I'm on windows 10 and it came up with a pop up saying couldn't find my Dictionary Directory, It then gave me a pop up window making it difficult to get to where it is which according to hardly any sources is under %appData% but I couldn't get there from the window. then it gave me an error code.