Digit Fiddler
  • How do you install this preset? I purchased it an hour ago, and am finally ready to give it a try.
    Hi John

You can install it like any other plugin, the preset is there as well to make things easier. I'd recommend checking out the tutorial video which explains the installation:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?list=PLqaBMwVHBRFGuuaObhHBJPCVZ9UYTMofy&time_continue=1&v=hhqOrWVtQfw
  • How do you install this preset? I purchased it an hour ago, and am finally ready to give it a try.
    Hi John

Apologies I forgot to include the readme in the download. Here's a link:
  • Hi,

nice plugin, but whatever I do, whatever I tweak I have ALWAYS on one position the double colon? When I optimize the fist one, the seconds gets broken and vice versa.  Why?
  • Hi,

nice plugin, but whatever I do, whatever I tweak I have ALWAYS on one position the double colon? When I optimize the fist one, the seconds gets broken and vice versa.  Why?
    Hi Krystyna

Could you please email [email protected] with the example screenshot of the issue?
  • I'm on a mac running MacOS 10.14.6, with AE 16.1.2... I'm having a weird issue when applying the stylize>glow effect on top of my fiddled digits. It is causing the text to move a random amount of distance up and to the left. I use a technique of stacking multiple glow effects and each instance of the effect I add causes the text to shift farther and farther away from it's place. I know that I can precomp the text layer or just move the text layer to compensate, but this is frustrating. Also to be clear, the bounding box where the text should be rendering is not moving; the box stays where it should. The position that the text is actually rendering in my comp is shifting farther from the bounding box where it should be. I hope my description makes sense, it's super weird. Any ideas?
  • I'm on a mac running MacOS 10.14.6, with AE 16.1.2... I'm having a weird issue when applying the stylize>glow effect on top of my fiddled digits. It is causing the text to move a random amount of distance up and to the left. I use a technique of stacking multiple glow effects and each instance of the effect I add causes the text to shift farther and farther away from it's place. I know that I can precomp the text layer or just move the text layer to compensate, but this is frustrating. Also to be clear, the bounding box where the text should be rendering is not moving; the box stays where it should. The position that the text is actually rendering in my comp is shifting farther from the bounding box where it should be. I hope my description makes sense, it's super weird. Any ideas?
    Hi Daniel

Apologies for this issue, we've just released a patch (version 1.3.2) that should solve this problem. Let me know how you go.
  • I have multiple digits on the screen but when I parent them to a null it disappears. When I toggle the Monospacing off then it reappears but don't get the desired outcome. Bug or user error?
  • I have multiple digits on the screen but when I parent them to a null it disappears. When I toggle the Monospacing off then it reappears but don't get the desired outcome. Bug or user error?
    Hi Karl

Just checking if you have the latest version and are running on CC2018 or newer? As this used to be an issue but we patched it.
  • What's up with the several price increases?  You are changing prices faster than inflation can keep up--three or four times already since launch...I understand that even this price is much lower than many, but dude, pick a reasonable price and flipping stick with it.  Just because you do a patch and/or an update doesn't mean you have to increase the price again.  Will version 1.8 be $74.95?  Read some business books and learn some business sense because it appears that many coders are void of it.
  • What's up with the several price increases?  You are changing prices faster than inflation can keep up--three or four times already since launch...I understand that even this price is much lower than many, but dude, pick a reasonable price and flipping stick with it.  Just because you do a patch and/or an update doesn't mean you have to increase the price again.  Will version 1.8 be $74.95?  Read some business books and learn some business sense because it appears that many coders are void of it.

Not really sure this adds anything of worth rather than just a bitch and a moan at a team that is providing us the public with great tools - which might I add are far cheaper and add a lot of features to the basic AE.. If you have already bought this already then, it's not really an issue to you. If you are just watching and following this just because......well no idea why bother, but from a user of this tool where it offers benefit - you snooze you lose. 

Besides it's had 5 updates this year since release. You don't know how many people buy any script so you don't know if the Plugin team are selling lots of this or not many copies, even if it’s a low number for the tool the fact that they are maintaining it, investing their time in their tools and offering free updates so far to the users is worth it. 

At the end of the day it's what it’s worth to the end user when they come to buy it. If it's too pricy for you, move on and find something else or do it manually..... But don't just go keyboard warrior on the message boards and use it to throw insults at the creators, for what come across as you being miserable that it's gone up a few dollars which most using it for work would easily recoup in just a single job. 

Suggest anyone reading and disregards Duane Davis's post and try the tool and see how it adds value to your workflow yourselves.

• Hello wonderful Digit Fiddlers,

I LOVE this plugin. It's a miracle to say the least. So easy to use, and VERY powerful. Thank you SO much. Worth every penny.

Thank you again for this plugin, it saved my life on a recent project.
  • Hello wonderful Digit Fiddlers,

I LOVE this plugin. It's a miracle to say the least. So easy to use, and VERY powerful. Thank you SO much. Worth every penny.

Thank you again for this plugin, it saved my life on a recent project.
    Welcome to the Fiddler club Fletcher! So happy you're enjoying it.
  • When i apply Digit Fiddler and enable monospacing to a text layer which is parented to a null with animation on it's position, the text moves it's position to the side of the screen. It looks like it takes the parented position but ignores the actual parent.

Also when i apply a track matte to a text lay wwhich allready has a mask on it, it moves the text.
  • Hi,

I used the Easy Bake plugin to bake out the keys for an animation to be exported via Bodymovin. It works but does not retain the monospacing for the characters. Anything that I'm missing or thoughts on how to make this work? Thanks.

• Hi,

I used the Easy Bake plugin to bake out the keys for an animation to be exported via Bodymovin. It works but does not retain the monospacing for the characters. Anything that I'm missing or thoughts on how to make this work? Thanks.

Hi Devin

Since the DF is modifying the text rendering for monospacing, it won't be compatible with bodymovin I'm sorry. 
  • Can I count up a date with this?
  • Can I count up a date with this?
    Hi Casey

If you're looking for a date format like DD/MM/YYYY that's not possible but would be a good feature for a later version. 
  • Argh...!  I just bought this for an urgent job today but, Im on a mac and stupidly upgraded to Catalina, which wont accept the plugin...do you have an update for it? Thanks
  • Argh...!  I just bought this for an urgent job today but, Im on a mac and stupidly upgraded to Catalina, which wont accept the plugin...do you have an update for it? Thanks
    Hi Eugene

Sorry about that! We've got a signed version here:

We'll be publicly releasing this very shortly.
  • Thanks for getting back so quick, got it working now ;)
  • Monospacing turns a colon into two separate objects. This is for a timecode (00:00:00). How to fix?
  • Monospacing turns a colon into two separate objects. This is for a timecode (00:00:00). How to fix?
    Hi Knut, please see this video which focuses on this particular issue:

Hi Knut, please see this video which focuses on this particular issue:

Thank you, that explained it perfectly. I love this little problem solver, great work!
  • How do you work with monospacing if you have two lines?
    Digit Fiddler offsets the second line to the right.
  • How do you work with monospacing if you have two lines?
    Digit Fiddler offsets the second line to the right.
    Hi Sebastian
    I use the free script "Decompose Text" to break multi-line text into individual lines. Not terribly elegant, but it's unfortunately not possible for plugins to know which line each character is on. I've asked Adobe to implement that in the SDK.
  • For the time to work as you would expect you need to set the 'time' property in Digit Fiddler to something like:
    effect("Digit Fiddler")("Time").value + time
    Then it will increment along with the time of the composition with an offset you can set in time. 
  • Just bought the 1.3.2 version, especially for the Monospace function.

But for some reason everything is greyed out, except the number setting.
    What is causing this?

using afx 2020 on a mac
  • For the time to work as you would expect you need to set the 'time' property in Digit Fiddler to something like:
    effect("Digit Fiddler")("Time").value + time
    Then it will increment along with the time of the composition with an offset you can set in time. 
    Hi Luke

That's correct. Some other users have pointed this out, I'm guessing users would prefer this as the default when applying Digit Fiddler?
  • hhh eee said:
    Just bought the 1.3.2 version, especially for the Monospace function.

What is causing this?

using afx 2020 on a mac
    Hi Hhheee

If everything is greyed out it's likely the product is unregistered. If you click the register button you can enter your serial key.

• hhh eee said:

What is causing this?

using afx 2020 on a mac
    Hi Hhheee

If everything is greyed out it's likely the product is unregistered. If you click the register button you can enter your serial key.
    Ahh perfect! that fixed it. Only issue i have now is using the separator with monospacing, since it uses the same bounding box size as the rest of the characters, making it unusable when having a wide font with large numbers, is there a way to change monospacing for only the separator?
  • I can't export to Media Encoder when I use Digit Fiddler. Once I delete it from a layer I can export the comp again. Does anyone else experience this?
  • I can't export to Media Encoder when I use Digit Fiddler. Once I delete it from a layer I can export the comp again. Does anyone else experience this?
    Hi Alex

This is an issue that is affecting all plugins that have the aescripts registration dialogue box. Adobe has fixed the issue in the latest public beta release of media encoder, and I can confirm it's working in that version.
  • hhh eee said:

hhh eee said:

What is causing this?

using afx 2020 on a mac
    Hi Hhheee

Ahh perfect! that fixed it. Only issue i have now is using the separator with monospacing, since it uses the same bounding box size as the rest of the characters, making it unusable when having a wide font with large numbers, is there a way to change monospacing for only the separator?
    Sorry for my late reply. Yes you can, under monospacing -> custom size, you can set an exact size for any specific character. 
  • Hey guys, love your plugins! The windows folder on the latest version is empty. 
  • Hey guys, love your plugins! The windows folder on the latest version is empty. 
    Thanks Yaniv! It's fixed now :D
  • Hi, is it possible to do a countdown ? I cant find an option to reverse the time.
  • Hi, is it possible to do a countdown ? I cant find an option to reverse the time.
    Hi Franck

You can either do a countdown via expressions or manually keyframing. 
  • When I render out a countdown in 29.97, it is not respecting it. Seems like it is really 30p. Time drifts. Any suggestions?
  • When I render out a countdown in 29.97, it is not respecting it. Seems like it is really 30p. Time drifts. Any suggestions?
    Hi Michael

When using 29.97 drop frame, it seems to be working correctly. If I change to non-drop frame I can see an issue. Is changing to drop frame feasible?
    Hi Michael

When using 29.97 drop frame, it seems to be working correctly. If I change to non-drop frame I can see an issue. Is changing to drop frame feasible?

Hi James, it is non-drop. Our TD is being very picky. I think he is playing back on a T2 server. I used keyframes (9030 - 0) for 5 minute countdown and expression value/30 - strangely that worked (?). I noticed other anomalies when I reversed the precomped "time" countdown.

I think it would be great if Digital Fiddler built-in a countdown function. Thnx for your response :)

-mike

• Experiencing a weird glitch. I have digit fiddler applied to three layers. I'm sliding another layer over the top of those layers to transition to a new scene and the text with digit fiddler applied slides down at the same speed/rate as the image sliding in. It's not parented (but acts like it is). The text is moving but the text box isn't (I can see the text box when I select the layer). I found a workaround but wanted to make you aware. Love your products. 
  • Experiencing a weird glitch. I have digit fiddler applied to three layers. I'm sliding another layer over the top of those layers to transition to a new scene and the text with digit fiddler applied slides down at the same speed/rate as the image sliding in. It's not parented (but acts like it is). The text is moving but the text box isn't (I can see the text box when I select the layer). I found a workaround but wanted to make you aware. Love your products. 
    Hi Chris

Thanks for letting us know. We've just added a bugfix to address this issue, if you could please check it out and let me know if it's solved the issue. 
  • is 1000000 really the highest number this plugin can go to..?
  • is 1000000 really the highest number this plugin can go to..?
    Hi Matt
    1 million is the largest the After Effects floating point slider can go to, otherwise it will run out of precision. As a workaround, we added the number multiplier slider so you can go much higher. 
  • James Whiffin ah that's a bummer, but I understand your workaround now. I'll get annoyed at Adobe then, not you. 
  • can you ramp up the numbers - e.g. I want to start at 1840 and count up to 65,000,000 slowly at the start and increasing speed. Does the number multiplier work to allow this?

As an aside, a free animation preset called Counter Pro uses a position picker for the start and end numbers - I guess this is to get around the 1,000,000 max number issue? bit clunky but it seems to work.
  • I need to create a count down timer (minutes : seconds). Can I use Digit Fiddler to play time starting at a specific duration (for example, 60 seconds 01:00), keyframe when it will start counting down to zero (00:00), and then hold on 00:00?
  • I need to create a count down timer (minutes : seconds). Can I use Digit Fiddler to play time starting at a specific duration (for example, 60 seconds 01:00), keyframe when it will start counting down to zero (00:00), and then hold on 00:00?
    Hi Dave

This may be possible with expressions (which I'm not very good at), however it could be done manually as when the timer reaches 0, create a duplicate of the Digit Fiddler layer and just have it sit at 00:00. Let me know how you go, there's a free trial version available. 
  • Paul Gale said:
    can you ramp up the numbers - e.g. I want to start at 1840 and count up to 65,000,000 slowly at the start and increasing speed. Does the number multiplier work to allow this?

As an aside, a free animation preset called Counter Pro uses a position picker for the start and end numbers - I guess this is to get around the 1,000,000 max number issue? bit clunky but it seems to work.
    Hi Paule

Yes you can, I recommend ease and wizz's (free script) expo setting for this. Thanks for the suggestion regarding a position param, that's a very novel solution!
  • I keep getting clipping at the top and bottom of my numbers when I try to resize them. It normally happens when I use mono spacing and increase the size. To explain it better 0's will be slightly flat at the top and bottom of the numbers when I'm using monospacing. Am I setting something up wrong?