RoughCut - Your A.I. Assistant Editor

• imageRoughCut - Your A.I. Assistant Editor

RoughCut uses artificial intelligence to separate your videos into color-coded shaky and stable regions. It further detects scenes by tracking the objects in the stable regions.

https://aescripts.com/roughcut/

• Hi! Can you please tell us how long does it take Rough Cut to analyze footage? Do you have any benchmarks done? Also please include the system specs of the workstation used for those benchmarks. Thanks!
  • Hi! Can you please tell us how long does it take Rough Cut to analyze footage? Do you have any benchmarks done? Also please include the system specs of the workstation used for those benchmarks. Thanks!
    Yes, I'd love to see benchmarks/system specs as well. The plugin sounds game-changing, but the processing time is important.

• This looks great as going through rushes is my least favorite part.

Would it be possible to offer a demo version (with a large watermark if needed) so that I could test it out on the type of footage I shoot and also to see how long it takes to process with my set-up?

Many thanks.
    Hey Daniel,

The processing part is heavily optimized but it really depends on the machine that you are using. I'll try to provide some benchmarks soon, but on macbook pro 16 inch, (base model) analyzed 3 minutes of footage (24 fps) in around 30 seconds.

And the processing time will not vary much depending on the fps as it downsamples them to lower fps.

I'll provide more specs ASAP.

Would it be possible to offer a demo version (with a large watermark if needed) so that I could test it out on the type of footage I shoot and also to see how long it takes to process with my set-up?

Many thanks.
    Hey Nic,

You can download and use RoughCut for free for 10 days. (press TRY under the price tag)
  • First Pass with the Trial,... and I'm impressed. If there are plans to add in-focus vs out of focus it would be an absolute slam dunk! I don't know if its a possibility. I'm going to run a few more passes, and try a few more projects with it during this trial for sure. Lets's face it,... from the way it looks so far I'm going to buy it. The real question is, how can I invest? Bringing this type of AI technology that's mostly found in smart phones into applications like Premiere and After Effects is going to revolutionize the world. Nice Job! Could be the script of 2020!
  • First Pass with the Trial,... and I'm impressed. If there are plans to add in-focus vs out of focus it would be an absolute slam dunk! I don't know if its a possibility. I'm going to run a few more passes, and try a few more projects with it during this trial for sure. Lets's face it,... from the way it looks so far I'm going to buy it. The real question is, how can I invest? Bringing this type of AI technology that's mostly found in smart phones into applications like Premiere and After Effects is going to revolutionize the world. Nice Job! Could be the script of 2020!
    Thank you so much Leonard ! 
    Getting this kind of feedback is really why I brought this project to life.

Yeah, in-focus vs out-focus filtering is possible and that would be one of the biggest features I'll work on in near future. Being an AI engineer myself I see lots of thing that can be brought to this sphere, so believe me - I'm hyped !

And buying RoughCut is the best investment for now, cause that will enable me to fully go on developing it ! 

Thanks again !
  • Very promising plug-in. Really looking forward to seeing this evolve!

A couple of requests from me that would be a fantastic addition to this plugin (if possible).
    • The ability to set a maximum duration for cuts/scenes in addition to the already available minimum duration.
    • Ability to adjust the shake recognition threshold (how much shake/movement must be present before RoughCut determines it to be shaky).
    Again, really impressed with RoughCut as it is - so excited to see where this goes!
  • Very promising plug-in. Really looking forward to seeing this evolve!

A couple of requests from me that would be a fantastic addition to this plugin (if possible).
    • The ability to set a maximum duration for cuts/scenes in addition to the already available minimum duration.
    • Ability to adjust the shake recognition threshold (how much shake/movement must be present before RoughCut determines it to be shaky).
    Again, really impressed with RoughCut as it is - so excited to see where this goes!
    Thank you so much Bryce!

Actually both features you mentioned are already developed and ready to go, I just didn't include them as they were not fully tested, but I'll probably include them in the next update version as a lot of users want to see them.

Thanks again and feel free to comment any other ideas you have for this product to include
  • Really handy tool! It would be great if this could recognize "static" shots too. I mean something where the camera doesn't move at all, while there might be some other movement in the picture (person, cars etc). While dreaming about RoughCut 2.X =D, would it be possible to add content recognition. Imagine if this could categorize B-Roll based on the content of the video. For an example like this: Sequence1_Car, Sequence2_Street etc.

This looks great! Have to try out it on a project to see how the current version works with my workflow!

Many thanks.
    Hey Nic,

You can download and use RoughCut for free for 10 days. (press TRY under the price tag)
    Looking forward to this. Downloading now for a big production shoot with lots of B Roll.
  • Hi guys
    I'd like to know if RoughCut will detect and cut some long static shots that only have action in a few seconds.
    E.g. I have a fixed underwater shot that lasts 9 minutes long and the only that I need are a few seconds in which a guy dives on the water.
    This is really annoying to edit because I must watch the entire shot to find the diving part.

RoughCut will detect this cuts?

Thanks a lot!
  • Hi guys
    I'd like to know if RoughCut will detect and cut some long static shots that only have action in a few seconds.
    E.g. I have a fixed underwater shot that lasts 9 minutes long and the only that I need are a few seconds in which a guy dives on the water.
    This is really annoying to edit because I must watch the entire shot to find the diving part.

Thanks a lot!
    Interested to hear if this is possible on current version or if it could be something this could later on. I'd think highlighting spots where there is "more action" with markers or something like that would be a cool addition to this tool! 
  • Really handy tool! It would be great if this could recognize "static" shots too. I mean something where the camera doesn't move at all, while there might be some other movement in the picture (person, cars etc). While dreaming about RoughCut 2.X =D, would it be possible to add content recognition. Imagine if this could categorize B-Roll based on the content of the video. For an example like this: Sequence1_Car, Sequence2_Street etc.

This looks great! Have to try out it on a project to see how the current version works with my workflow!
    Static shots are possible, I'll add it to my todo list ;)
  • Hi guys

Thanks a lot!
    Hey Gonzalo,

RoughCut is made just for tasks like that and the general goal is to save your time.
    I think it should detect the action part, but it really depends on the level of action present in there. You can also activate "Scene" detection for higher chance of detecting the part you want.

Anyway, you can try it out to find out (free trial for 10 days)
  • Hi guys

Thanks a lot!
    Interested to hear if this is possible on current version or if it could be something this could later on. I'd think highlighting spots where there is "more action" with markers or something like that would be a cool addition to this tool! 
    Right now it just detects drastic changes of movement (unpleasant acceleration or deceleration regions) as shake, so the regions full of action will either be detected as shake if the movement speed is changing a lot (this is the general description of unpleasant footage) or stable if the movement is more or less in a constant speed (event if it is fast). This way it tries to cover both active and passive videos.

Highlighting active parts can be a good idea.
    But you can give it a try now, as it may solve your problem with the current version.
  • I bought it and am super excited to use it on a current project, but I can'd even figure out how to get it into Premiere. I ran the ZXP file through the installer and can see it in my app manager, but can't find it in premiere. Is there somewhere I can go to find help doing this? thanks! 
  • I bought it and am super excited to use it on a current project, but I can'd even figure out how to get it into Premiere. I ran the ZXP file through the installer and can see it in my app manager, but can't find it in premiere. Is there somewhere I can go to find help doing this? thanks! 
    Hey Jackson, thanks for purchasing !

After installing it you should be able to open it from the top menu bar in Premiere
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "Window" > "Extensions" > "RoughCut for Premiere Pro"
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Installation FAQ:

Opening example:

Let me know if you'll have any problems.

• Does this plugin not work for Premiere 2020?  The window opens up, the Rough Cut logo appears, a red line on the bottom loads from left to right then...nothing happens.  Am I doing something wrong?  There's no tutorial online.  Do I need an ai to use this lol halp. 
  • Does this plugin not work for Premiere 2020?  The window opens up, the Rough Cut logo appears, a red line on the bottom loads from left to right then...nothing happens.  Am I doing something wrong?  There's no tutorial online.  Do I need an ai to use this lol halp. 
    Hey Glen

Did you try to restart your computer and try again ? If you did without success please open a support ticket and we will figure it out.
  • Hey guys, I just made a tutorial video on RoughCut

Check it out !

• Where I imagine this being the most useful is actually the following — I go out and shoot some b-roll. Wow, something I just loved happened. I shake the camera around furiously and cut the take. Continue and repeat. At the end of the day, it marks the clips that have the furious shake at the end, and allows me to quickly delete all of the others. This uses the plugin to detect a motion that I am defining on-set. That is, I'm pre-determining the good footage for the editor (a human) and then letting the machine (the AI) figure out where all those clips are. But the AI isn't trying to tell me what the good footage is, it's just trying to tell me where. Would love to see a workflow that supports this. Reach out for questions or clarity, would be down to help. 
  • Hi Arthur!
    A nice plugin that can be very useful - I tried the trial version.
    But unfortunately it marks all my footage as stable, whereas I still am looking for a distinction of really stable vs less stable.
    Is there a way to lower the threshold of when to detect shake element (i.e. make it more sensitive to small shakes).
    Thanks in advance for the reply,
    Rob
  • Rob Zink said:
    Hi Arthur!
    A nice plugin that can be very useful - I tried the trial version.
    But unfortunately it marks all my footage as stable, whereas I still am looking for a distinction of really stable vs less stable.
    Is there a way to lower the threshold of when to detect shake element (i.e. make it more sensitive to small shakes).
    Thanks in advance for the reply,
    Rob
    Hi Rob,

Thanks for the good words. 
    Unfortunately it is not possible to change the sensitivity yet but it will be one day I hope, with one of the future updates.
  • Hi.  After the analysis phase, I click "Insert" and nothing happens.  Here's a screencast:  https://www.screencast.com/t/xQYZlEHh8sZ ;  Could you let me know what I'm doing wrong?  Thanks
  • Alan Rudt said:
    Hi.  After the analysis phase, I click "Insert" and nothing happens.  Here's a screencast:  https://www.screencast.com/t/xQYZlEHh8sZ ;  Could you let me know what I'm doing wrong?  Thanks
    Hey Alan, I just replied you're support ticket ;)
  • amazing plugin! the two main issues i am having are: 
    1) The order of inserted clips is always messed up. (I have 100clips named 1-100.mp4) its always inserted as: 1.mp4, 10.mp4, 100.mp4 and not as it should be as: 1.mp4, 2.mp4 etc..
    2) There is one frame missing at the end/start of each shake and stable clips, so this makes it very hard to match footage of 2 cameras. the inserted clips (shake + stable) is always shorter than the full clips, i'd like to match handheld b-roll footage to my tripod A-roll footage. with missing frames its impossible to match.

are these bugs that you could fix? would be amazing if those could be solved! 
  • Does RoughCut work for Premiere Pro 2021?
  • Hi, have you got a timeframe for when the next update is coming out?
  • Mike Lee said:
    amazing plugin! the two main issues i am having are: 
    1) The order of inserted clips is always messed up. (I have 100clips named 1-100.mp4) its always inserted as: 1.mp4, 10.mp4, 100.mp4 and not as it should be as: 1.mp4, 2.mp4 etc..
    2) There is one frame missing at the end/start of each shake and stable clips, so this makes it very hard to match footage of 2 cameras. the inserted clips (shake + stable) is always shorter than the full clips, i'd like to match handheld b-roll footage to my tripod A-roll footage. with missing frames its impossible to match.

are these bugs that you could fix? would be amazing if those could be solved! 
    Hey Mike, 

I'm informed about the issues and yes they will be solved in the comming update !
    I back to development and I hope to deliver RoughCut 1.2.0 update by the end of September 2021.

And I'm glad you like RoughCut :)
  • Does RoughCut work for Premiere Pro 2021?
    Yes, RoughCut does work with Premiere Pro 2021.
  • Hello,

This plugin seems to not work with 4k 24p LongGOP .mov files from my GH5.  I get a Failed : INVALID_VIDEO_FILE error with my GH5 files but not with other camera videos. I have opened a support ticket to hopefully resolve this issue but I am just commenting in case any other GH5 users are considering using this plugin.
  • Just trying out Rough Cutter!

-It would be awesome if in master control you could also tweak master/global threshold & processing. Once you would do threshold & processing tweaks on a clip, it could over ride the master setting or something like that.
    -Hopefully 1.2 comes out soon :)
    -Hopefully I'll buy this! :)

• Any word on when the 1.2.0 will be released? Thank you for this amazing time saver!
  • Just trying out Rough Cutter!

-It would be awesome if in master control you could also tweak master/global threshold & processing. Once you would do threshold & processing tweaks on a clip, it could over ride the master setting or something like that.
    -Hopefully 1.2 comes out soon :)
    -Hopefully I'll buy this! :)
    Any word on when the 1.2.0 will be released? Thank you for this amazing time saver!
    I'm working hard to deliver it ASAP ))
  • I've installed the plug-in and given it a try, however I'm really not sure that it's going to be beneficial for the project that I'm working on.

I have played around with the settings to see if I can get it to work in a way that would be more useful to me, but whatever Threshold or Processing percentages I use isn't working for me.  I looked for an explanation of what those settings do, however couldn't find one.

A lot of the footage I film is already pretty stable as I usually only press record when I'm framed and ready to shoot.  There are sometimes where I'll re-frame mid shot and the plug-in does mick up on those moments, which is good.  However quite a lot of the footage in my current project starts stable and then has a fast pan or zoom as part of the shot and then is stable again.  Sadly the plug-in is seeing those pans as unwanted, but they are.

Perhaps some other tweaks to the settings would help.  Although at the moment I feel that I'm going to have to go back and manually find the clips I need.

Future Development:
    1. It's great that you can change durations across all analyzed clips at the same time.  It would be great if you do the same with the Threshold and Processing settings too.
    2. The visual representation of the clip is great and really helps me to see what parts will be kept or rejected when changing the settings.  However, I'd love it if the duration of the clip was shown.  That way I'd have a better idea if the selected section was 3 seconds long or 70 seconds long.  It's needs a scale.
  • I've installed the plug-in and given it a try, however I'm really not sure that it's going to be beneficial for the project that I'm working on.

I have played around with the settings to see if I can get it to work in a way that would be more useful to me, but whatever Threshold or Processing percentages I use isn't working for me.  I looked for an explanation of what those settings do, however couldn't find one.

A lot of the footage I film is already pretty stable as I usually only press record when I'm framed and ready to shoot.  There are sometimes where I'll re-frame mid shot and the plug-in does mick up on those moments, which is good.  However quite a lot of the footage in my current project starts stable and then has a fast pan or zoom as part of the shot and then is stable again.  Sadly the plug-in is seeing those pans as unwanted, but they are.

Perhaps some other tweaks to the settings would help.  Although at the moment I feel that I'm going to have to go back and manually find the clips I need.

Future Development:
    1. It's great that you can change durations across all analyzed clips at the same time.  It would be great if you do the same with the Threshold and Processing settings too.
    2. The visual representation of the clip is great and really helps me to see what parts will be kept or rejected when changing the settings.  However, I'd love it if the duration of the clip was shown.  That way I'd have a better idea if the selected section was 3 seconds long or 70 seconds long.  It's needs a scale.
    Thanks a lot for your feedback Nic, you mentioned pretty good improvements that will be considered on the next update.

Future Development:
    Thanks a lot for your feedback Nic, you mentioned pretty good improvements that will be considered on the next update.
    Happy to contribute in a very small way.

One other thing that I had thought about, but forgot to include in my previous message, was if it would be possible to have the AI algorithm review previously selected "good" clips before analyzing the new footage.  I imagine that this would be down to the complexity of the algorithm.

Could the user provide Rough Cut with a previously edited video (or sequence/timeline) which it would scan and identify the types of shots that have been considered good and the AI would be able to take those into account when comparing with the new footage?  This might allow editors to provide a number of completed videos in the same style and the AI would be able to build up more and more knowledge over time.
  • I have Premiere 2022 and the color labels don't appear to work. It does not appear to be supported yet. Any idea when that will be? 

Actually even in 2021 it is not. It appears to flash the colors when adding to timeline briefly, then they all turn blue. Is something overwriting the color labels?
  • With the new update to Premiere Pro I am now unable to select videos and import them into rough cut for analysis. 
  • Hey all. I went to purchase RoughCut today and the site say's it's not available anymore. I swear this has only happened in the last couple of days. Will this be made available anytime soon?
  • Hey all. I went to purchase RoughCut today and the site say's it's not available anymore. I swear this has only happened in the last couple of days. Will this be made available anytime soon?
    Hi Nate,

I'm really sorry about this but currently RoughCut is not supported on the latest versions of Premiere Pro, so we disabled it temporarily . After all the updates needed it will be available again, in a month or 2.
    Hi Nate,

I'm really sorry about this but currently RoughCut is not supported on the latest versions of Premiere Pro, so we disabled it temporarily . After all the updates needed it will be available again, in a month or 2.
    Can I purchase it now to use on an older version of Premiere?
  • Hey Arthur. Just checking in. Any update on when this script might be available for purchase again?
  • Hey, I think this tool is incredibly powerful but could be pushed further as a standalone application that would leverage AI and natural language processing + tie in a load of common sense editing and footage organisation for automating an editor's rough cut process. I am not sure where you are with updating the plugin, but I figured it would be worth reaching out and seeing if it is an idea you would be interested in collaborating on.

• Hello! This tool looks amazing and I'd love to try it out, is there any timeline on when it will become available again? Thanks!
  • Hi everyone!

Thanks you so much for your feedback and feature ideas. 
    This shows the importance of the problem RoughCut was trying to solve. 

I'm currently exploring more editing techniques by making videos myself and automating a lot of manual workflows on the go. These are scripts/tools still for my personal use only but once I have big enough audience/community who will be interested in the tools - I'll start publishing them and RoughCut will definitely become much more useful and "intelligent".

I'm doing my best for this to happen ASAP, but it takes time as all the good things in life :)

Follow me for more updates on Instagram: @avartation
  • I hope this will be available again! I need to try this... shame it's no longer available :(

I wish you luck with the development.