• What a beautiful Promo!
  •  Hello, is it possible to apply the effect along paths? I want to animate a growing city map. Bye
  • Cool promo and Plugin. Is it possible to get some sample projects like in your promo video?
  •  Hello, is it possible to apply the effect along paths? I want to animate a growing city map. Bye
    Hello, Marcel! Yes, there is option called "Spawn layer", which works like emitter in particle systems. You can try it by yourself, or wait for tutorial (coming soon) 

Cool promo and Plugin. Is it possible to get some sample projects like in your promo video?
    Hello, Mike! Yes, you can open support ticket for it, or re-download archieve, im going to add sample project (AE2020) in it soon. 
    Hello, Marcel! Yes, there is option called "Spawn layer", which works like emitter in particle systems. You can try it by yourself, or wait for tutorial (coming soon) 

Thanks for the answer. I bought it and I will try it out. 

• Hello! If it's not difficult, can you add a version of the example project for CC 2018? Thank you for a good product!
  • Hello! If it's not difficult, can you add a version of the example project for CC 2018? Thank you for a good product!
    Hi, Vladislav! Done. Pls re-download archieve. Thanks for using our product :)
  • Is the tutorial going to be exclusive to the purchase, or will there be a YouTube video on this plug-in? Thank you much. Excites to learn this plug-in. Stunning.
  • Hi, just playing with the trial version as the video examples look very impressive. However, I am not having any luck achieving anything like the examples in the tutorial video using the parameters shown there. Nothing changes much when I play with the settings, it just looks like a noisy jitter and not like organic growth. I am using AE 2020. Thanks.
  • Greetings.

A very interesting plugin!

The short tutorial video recommends reading the manual.

If the manual is available, may we have a link to it? 

Thanks.
    Best Wishes,

PRODOS
    Melbourne, Australia
  • Is the tutorial going to be exclusive to the purchase, or will there be a YouTube video on this plug-in? Thank you much. Excites to learn this plug-in. Stunning.
    Hi! Tutorial is available on Phyarum main page from today, so you can check it.

Hi, just playing with the trial version as the video examples look very impressive. However, I am not having any luck achieving anything like the examples in the tutorial video using the parameters shown there. Nothing changes much when I play with the settings, it just looks like a noisy jitter and not like organic growth. I am using AE 2020. Thanks.
    Hey! You can check sample project in archieve with plugin. I think it will help you to understand how to make same results as in video.

Greetings.

A very interesting plugin!

The short tutorial video recommends reading the manual.

If the manual is available, may we have a link to it? 

Thanks.
    Best Wishes,

PRODOS
    Melbourne, Australia
    Hello! You can find manuals in folder "Manual" in archive with plugin. Manual is available in 3 languages - English, Japanese and Russian.

• You can find manuals in folder "Manual" in archive with plugin.
    Thank you.
  • It is making more sense now. The results are looking very nice. Will there be options for controlling particle color in future versions?
  • It is making more sense now. The results are looking very nice. Will there be options for controlling particle color in future versions?
    Yeah, we have many plans about next version. And particle color in our plans too.
  • I tested the trialversion and I can not recreate any of the patterns shown in the video.
    I used the exact same values as shon in the clip, but I'm having no luck achieving those results.

greets
  • I tested the trialversion and I can not recreate any of the patterns shown in the video.
    I used the exact same values as shon in the clip, but I'm having no luck achieving those results.

greets
    Hello Ludwig! You can check sample project in archieve with plugin. Good luck :)
  • Any chance of a more comprehensive tutorial? The script looks useful and produces interesting results, but even after reading the manual, it would be nice to have an explainer video that shows us how to set parameters to work toward specific types of results. Right now it feels very hit or miss - and as you note in the manual, small tweaks in parameters can yield dramatically different results - so random experimentation seems like it will be a very long process.  
  • Any chance of a more comprehensive tutorial? The script looks useful and produces interesting results, but even after reading the manual, it would be nice to have an explainer video that shows us how to set parameters to work toward specific types of results. Right now it feels very hit or miss - and as you note in the manual, small tweaks in parameters can yield dramatically different results - so random experimentation seems like it will be a very long process.  
    Hey, Robert! We are not working on more tutorial, but i think we have a chance to see interesting tutorials from community. The reason why we don't want to make more comprehensive tutorial is because the result of alghoritm is unpredictable, so we gave to community opportunity to make some inventions by themself. We believe in open minds, which are hungry for new expirience.
  • Hello, will there be a toggle to turn off the black background in a future update?
  • Hello, will there be a toggle to turn off the black background in a future update?
    Hey! We didn't think about it, but now we will. I can advise you to use blending mode "Add" or "Lighten". Or use keying effects.
    Hey! We didn't think about it, but now we will. I can advise you to use blending mode "Add" or "Lighten". Or use keying effects.
    Awesome! And yes add/lighten/screen do work but the more intricate the particles get the less it works - same goes for something like Luma Key.
  • This is cool but very heavy plugin.... so hard to manipulate with my iMacPro...... cool but heavy..
    and I need to spend some time with this but... it's so heavy to look around
  • This is cool but very heavy plugin.... so hard to manipulate with my iMacPro...... cool but heavy..
    Me too, take ages to render in lowest quality just a single frame in preview mode (MacPro with 64 GB RAM). Also crash sometimes AE2020.
  • Interesting plugin, lots of possibilities here - tricky to design with but fun to play! Recommend starting 720p to test setups, full HD is quite slow.

Feature request - would be great if it ran 32bit, I'm finding bright areas clip quickly to white.

This is cool but very heavy plugin.... so hard to manipulate with my iMacPro...... cool but heavy..
    Me too, take ages to render in lowest quality just a single frame in preview mode (MacPro with 64 GB RAM). Also crash sometimes AE2020.
    Guys, i have 1 quick tip. Always start simulation from 0 frame. Algorithm have many random events, and each frame have impact on every next frame, sooo it must render each previous frame, thats why you wait forever if you jump on timeline. So rendering from 0 frame works the best.
  • Interesting plugin, lots of possibilities here - tricky to design with but fun to play! Recommend starting 720p to test setups, full HD is quite slow.

Feature request - would be great if it ran 32bit, I'm finding bright areas clip quickly to white.
    Thanks for suggestion :) We will try to add it.
  • Is a result similar to the DEVS series possible?

Example 1: (Spoiler)

Example 2: 2:08 (Spoiler)
    (spoiler)

Within the series, there are better examples, when it's just black and white
  • This plugin is extraordinarily slow. Crashes AE 2020 constantly and is just really really difficult to use. 

This feels like more of an alpha idea for a future app than anything that's really able to be used at the moment.

Sorry but I can't recommend it to anybody. 
  • Is a result similar to the DEVS series possible?

Example 1: (Spoiler)

Example 2: 2:08 (Spoiler)
    (spoiler)

Within the series, there are better examples, when it's just black and white
    Hey, Orlando! No, it is different type of effect. Seems like StarDust plugin will suit you better in this effect!
  • This plugin is extraordinarily slow. Crashes AE 2020 constantly and is just really really difficult to use. 

This feels like more of an alpha idea for a future app than anything that's really able to be used at the moment.

Sorry but I can't recommend it to anybody. 
    Hey Zach! Sad that you did not enjoy our plugin... We did not see problems with AE crashes in support tickets, so looks like this problem is not in Physarum. 
    What about "extraodinarily slow", we have some tips to make your workflow much faster, you can read them in this thread. 
    Hope you will enjoy our other products, and good luck!
  • Hi Vladimir,

It constantly keeps crashing my AE... is there any reason why this is happening? 
  • Hi Vladimir,

It constantly keeps crashing my AE... is there any reason why this is happening? 
    Hey! Please, open support ticket and provide more information, so we can try to solve your problem!
  • Hi Vladimir,

Interesting...mine as well. Bummer :(
    I 100% agree. Just show us how you (the designer's of the plug-in) would go about working with this; show us your workflow. Much like Andrew Kramer does with every single one of his plug-ins. We need a jumpstart here! 

All in good fun,

Kyland 
  • What's the glow effect featured in the sample?
    I 100% agree. Just show us how you (the designer's of the plug-in) would go about working with this; show us your workflow. Much like Andrew Kramer does with every single one of his plug-ins. We need a jumpstart here! 

All in good fun,

Kyland 
    Hey Keyland! We are working on some good tutorial, so stay tuned!
  • What's the glow effect featured in the sample?
    Its Deep Glow by plugin everything
  • So, has anyone figured out how to use this usefully yet? All I get is a full frame of squiggles. Doesn't seem responsive to the spawn layer and all the black areas get filled in. I haven't been able to reproduce the effect in the demo scene, and I don't understand why, because it's really not that complicated a setup.
  • Genius idea for a plugin, but it is very slow, looking forward for the next version, but until then very hard to use. 
  • Any progress on making some tutorials for this? Looks like it could be a very interesting plugin but some more guidance (beyond the manual) would be helpful.
  • So, has anyone figured out how to use this usefully yet? All I get is a full frame of squiggles. Doesn't seem responsive to the spawn layer and all the black areas get filled in. I haven't been able to reproduce the effect in the demo scene, and I don't understand why, because it's really not that complicated a setup.
    Hello Sean! Example project is same project, which was used for demo scene. You can find example project in archieve with plugin. 
  • lee shaw said:
    Genius idea for a plugin, but it is very slow, looking forward for the next version, but until then very hard to use. 
    Hey Lee! Thanks for kind words, but looks like we do not plan to make new version yet. We have many ideas for it, but just dont have time and motivation for it. 
  • Any progress on making some tutorials for this? Looks like it could be a very interesting plugin but some more guidance (beyond the manual) would be helpful.
    Hey Robert! Looks like we will not release new tutorial. We think existing tutorial and demo videos are enough to understand mechanics of Physarum. But anyway you can open support ticket and ask us any question about Physarum :)
  • This plugin is definitely a niche use plugin, but it can work great when you have the right spot for it. Since there isn't a tutorial, I will say the inclusion of the project file that was used in the promotional/demonstration video is very helpful as you can dissect all the parameters that were adjusted to create the various effects. It is still a simulation of an organic slime mold so things can go in unpredictable directions, but I would also use this plugin in circumstances where that works to your benefit rather than scenarios that need to be precisely controlled. The three best tips I have for anyone trying this out are as follows:

1) Read the manual before you start. The directions aren't very complicated and definitely aren't comprehensive, but if you don't follow them to start you will get frustrated very quickly.

2) Make sure everything you are using in your spawn layer (or as a layer underneath your adjustment layer) is fully preview rendered before starting the simulation. This is especially important if you are trying these simulations at higher resolutions (like 4K vs the suggested ideal of 800x800). This may have just been me, but every time I tried to run a simulation without every layer (even those in my precomps) being full preview rendered the simulation would only reference the first frame of my animation rather than evolve with the layers or spawn animation. Super easy thing to do, but it is very frustrating to figure out if you don't know about it haha.

3) This one is very important if you want to replicate some of the effects from the promo video. Physarum produces and deletes particles ONLY when you animated the "particle count-in" setting. Otherwise it will produce it once in the first frame and work with it. You can totally get awesome and very unique results both ways, but if you're trying to have the particles fade out or produce some of those unique tails in the promo video this can only be done that way. 

Luckily this plugin doesn't come with a ton of parameters because it can produce a pretty crazy variety just while tweaking those. It is absolutely more of an experimental plugin, so you will definitely get more out of it if you are willing to tinker a bit. That being said, take a look at the promo video and the mini guide video and use the sample project to your benefit. Figure out what spots you like from those and take a look at the settings. That helped me tremendously in trying to find certain looks I saw in the promo. Hopefully the above tips help you get started as well. Definitely worth a try when you have a project that really suits it. 
  • will it works in CS6? I know that it's "official" compatible with 2017up, but some plugins still works in CS6
  • will it works in CS6? I know that it's "official" compatible with 2017up, but some plugins still works in CS6
    We didnt test is on CS6, but you can push "TRY" button on main product page, and test it on your After Effects and PC. 
  • I did try the demo in CS6 and it works.
  • Just bought the bundle and opened up the Sample project in 2021 to watch it crash over and over before being able to render a single frame. Niice!

Edit: Seems to work ok in 2020. My 2021 is updated to latest release. This seems to maybe be a problem with the latest release of AE and Physarum. 
  • Hello!

I have been trying out the plugin but I can seem to get the spawn layer to work like in the sample project. Even when I open the sample project and make a new Physarum layer it totally ignores my spawn layer. Are there any recommendations for a fix for this?
  • Hi,

Any chance of an Apple Silicon update? Thanks!