• Hello - 
    what is the best way with KBar - to create a one-button-click creation of a new solid with an effect already on it? 

I could do that with ye olde ft-toolbar, and can do it in steps with twitches of key commands + video copilot fx console...
    .. but would love to automate that down to one click...

... found a solution here, while writing - leaving for others - replace 'ramp' with name of effect you want to include... 
    https://gist.github.com/aescripts/d8cc5acc838dc050f1b2129dd206d3d6

Related - is there a way to trigger presets from KBar? Never mind - somehow missed presets in the KB menu!

danke!
  • Hello Lloyd
    I'm trying to get "Purge > All memory and disk cache" running as a button but After effects says no... 
    I selected the command from the list in the settings window.
    Is there another way to do this?
    Cheers
    Ken
    You have to type "All Memory  Disk Cache..." you have to remove the "&"
  • Can I Get more than 4 windows ???? like kbar5 or more ??
    Technically it's possible but most people don't use more than 3. How many would you want?
  • the wayne said:
    Hello Lloyd
    I'm trying to get "Purge > All memory and disk cache" running as a button but After effects says no... 
    Cheers
    Ken

@ken Gorrie did you ever resolve this? 
    It is one of the main operations i wanted to use KBar for and it does not work.... 

My error says i have made a typo as well ... but, like you, i also selected it from the list. 
    Clean memory works fine, but not empty disk cache 

Any help guys? 
    See the earlier post for a workaround.
  • Hello - 
    what is the best way with KBar - to create a one-button-click creation of a new solid with an effect already on it? 

I could do that with ye olde ft-toolbar, and can do it in steps with twitches of key commands + video copilot fx console...

... found a solution here, while writing - leaving for others - replace 'ramp' with name of effect you want to include... 

Related - is there a way to trigger presets from KBar? Never mind - somehow missed presets in the KB menu!

danke!
    Just take the code on the link and add it to a "scriptlet" button.
  • Rafi Khan said:
    Hello - 

danke!
    Just take the code on the link and add it to a "scriptlet" button.
    Thanks Rafi - I'd figured that out - was just leaving the info there, in case it helped anyone else.

Do you know what code could be added, to rename the solid that Kbar creates with the effect?

• Rafi Khan said:
    Hello Lloyd
    Cheers
    Ken
    You have to type "All Memory  Disk Cache..." you have to remove the "&"
    Hi @Rafi Khan 

I have also been struggling with this and tried your method but but unfortunately still does not work. 

EDIT: 
    Figured it out.
    Keep the double space and keep the elipses included but remove quotation marks. 

Thanks @Rafi
  • Hi I just purchased Kbar. SVG icons are not displaying for me. They are just blank. Windows 10, AE 2020.
  • once i open after effects 2020 kbar loads with the following error

anyone know solution ???

logger:toolbar

the csx request to

{'type':'apicall','clazz','api','method':"gettoolbatDataAsync"}timed out

• Hi I just purchased Kbar. SVG icons are not displaying for me. They are just blank. Windows 10, AE 2020.
    This bug was fixed in KBar 2.0.4. Please download the latest version.
  • once i open after effects 2020 kbar loads with the following error

anyone know solution ???

logger:toolbar

the csx request to

{'type':'apicall','clazz','api','method':"gettoolbatDataAsync"}timed out

You have too many extensions and scripts open at startup. Close all of them. Restart AE and start KBar. It will work fine.
  • Same long-time issue with KBAR: one can not add a button for the stock "Tint" effect. Been an issue for me for many months. "Tint" doesn't populate in the effect dropdown when you start typing the effect name. You do see other effects, but not the stock AE effect of "Tint." Same issue as reported below:
    Hi,
    I used After Effects in french and wasn't be able to see the "Teinte" effect when I typed it in the effect search bar.
    So I turned AE in english to see if it would be better with "Tint".... But nothing. I don't see "Tint" appear in the search tool box.
    When I type "Tint", KBar propose : uni.Picture in Picture / uni.Soft Gradient Picture / uni. Spectralicious Transition / Optics Compensation / Motion Tile...
    Nothing with the word "Tint" in it. Is there a issue with the search tool ? Is there another way to ass an effect to the bar ?
    Thanks a lot

• Can i Reset current Work Space to saved layout with Kbar ????????????
  • hello, i can't seem to find a way to do this with kbar. With trim-in nothing happens, with trim-keyframes, so yes it will cut to the left. Could I have the right syntax in the arguments to have the 3 possibilities on the keyframes?
    Thank you very much,
    vincent
  • ok, make several
    sorry ;-)
  • Hello! I was just submitting a support ticket but it crashes ae script for some reason... 

so, I love this tool! and use to the point, I can not remember how I did things before it. 
    BUT, recently I'm no longer able to edit my bar... 
    -I can not delete items, or edit the ones I already have... -I can't update the item the button is related to... -
    I haven't found any other comment mentioning this... not sure how I could change this situation (I've tried downloading the kbar again... but problem remains) 
    I'm running this on a Mac OS Catalina 10.15.7
    and After effects 2020.

Hope you can give me a hand! (I was attaching the json file in the support ticket, but I can't add it in here I think. 
    Cheers, and thanks in advance. 
  • Hello! I was just submitting a support ticket but it crashes ae script for some reason... 

so, I love this tool! and use to the point, I can not remember how I did things before it. 
    -I can not delete items, or edit the ones I already have... -I can't update the item the button is related to... -
    I haven't found any other comment mentioning this... not sure how I could change this situation (I've tried downloading the kbar again... but problem remains) 
    and After effects 2020.

Hope you can give me a hand! (I was attaching the json file in the support ticket, but I can't add it in here I think. 
    Hi, did you recently upgrade? I need you to submit a support ticket with your toolbar file so I can take a look at it.

• Rafi Khan said:
    Hello! I was just submitting a support ticket but it crashes ae script for some reason... 

and After effects 2020.

Hi, did you recently upgrade? I need you to submit a support ticket with your toolbar file so I can take a look at it.
    Hello @Rafi!
    thanks for your response. 
    For some reason (i just tried again) i can not submit the json file. 
    Let me know if you can pick it from this link https://we.tl/t-KBtmjoLHxK. ;

thank you!

• Rafi Khan said:
    Hello! I was just submitting a support ticket but it crashes ae script for some reason... 

and After effects 2020.

Hello @Rafi!
    thanks for your response. 
    For some reason (i just tried again) i can not submit the json file. 
    Let me know if you can pick it from this link https://we.tl/t-KBtmjoLHxK. ;

thank you!
    Hi Analia, you need to zip the file before you attach it. Please open a support ticket with the proper attachment.
  • Awesome extension! More then 4 years I used ft toolbar, recently I've started using Kbar and I like it) A lot of cool features, nice customization options. Thank you, KraftyFX for your work! I wish you a lot of sales)
  • hey, help page isn't working for me, can you update the links? for ex. https://bitbucket.org/khanyu/kbar/wiki/Buttons/Scriptlet
  • Jake Sky said:
    hey, help page isn't working for me, can you update the links? for ex. https://bitbucket.org/khanyu/kbar/wiki/Buttons/Scriptlet
    Whoops! Sorry about that. Here's the link you want.

• Awesome extension! More then 4 years I used ft toolbar, recently I've started using Kbar and I like it) A lot of cool features, nice customization options. Thank you, KraftyFX for your work! I wish you a lot of sales)
    Thank you!
  • Hi, Thanks for you extension, it's very useful.

I would like to know what I can do to remove a bar loaded through a .json I've downloaded, because I'm not able to remove, change position to the elements inserted in the bar itself in the settings. 

Thanks!
  • Hi, Thanks for you extension, it's very useful.

I would like to know what I can do to remove a bar loaded through a .json I've downloaded, because I'm not able to remove, change position to the elements inserted in the bar itself in the settings. 

Thanks!
    Hi, it looks like you upgraded from an old version of KBar and it went poorly. Can you please file a support ticket and attach your toolbar.json file?
  • A couple of quick questions... My config file is attached, as is a screencap of the button / palette in question.

I'd like to have the button with the icon "KB02" launch or bring to the fore the second KBar palette shown.

If the palette is not currently open, this works - e.g. the palette is launched. If the palette is opened then it does not - e.g. the palette stays in the background. The same behavior is evident when calling the first palette from the second, in this case the button is "KB01".

My second question is relating to adding elements from other libraries/JSON such as the SideshowFX library: can this be done without nuking my own?

Thanks in advance for any help!
    zip
    zip
    kbar_config_backup_2020-12-08.zip
    launch_kbar2.png
    153 x 80 - 2K
    zip
    zip
    KBar_SideshowFX.zip
    2M
  • Just updated AE to 17.6.0 and KBar is blank... Completely blank, not even settings available...  
    Any glaringly obvious fix i am missing? 
  • A couple of quick questions... My config file is attached, as is a screencap of the button / palette in question.

I'd like to have the button with the icon "KB02" launch or bring to the fore the second KBar palette shown.

If the palette is not currently open, this works - e.g. the palette is launched. If the palette is opened then it does not - e.g. the palette stays in the background. The same behavior is evident when calling the first palette from the second, in this case the button is "KB01".

My second question is relating to adding elements from other libraries/JSON such as the SideshowFX library: can this be done without nuking my own?

Thanks in advance for any help!
    Hi Chris. That's an interesting use case. I hadn't thought about this when designing KBar. I think what you're trying to do isn't actually supported by AE but in a future release I might be able to do something. I know this is a disappointing answer but its the best one I have to offer.

As for bringing SideshowFX into KBar you have to ask the authors of that plugin to make their stuff KBar friendly (instructions).
  • the wayne said:
    Just updated AE to 17.6.0 and KBar is blank... Completely blank, not even settings available...  
    Hi "the wayne" please open a support ticket with a screen recording of what you're seeing.
  • Rafi Khan said:
    the wayne said:
    Just updated AE to 17.6.0 and KBar is blank... Completely blank, not even settings available...  
    Hi "the wayne" please open a support ticket with a screen recording of what you're seeing.
    Hi Rafi

Nothing to show. It is blank. I try the all 4 Kbar through extensions menu but nothing appears. 
    The default Kbar 1 already dock is just empty
  • the wayne said:
    I have the same issue. Some icons are blank. When I try to reload the icons it stays blank.

• Just purchased and it's great!  Couple things tho that would make it better
    1. one button, multiple actions, as in Photoshop actions.  Example: precompose all layers, assign label "Red"
    2. easier way to assign menu items.  Can't find some. Example: assign label "Red"
  • Hi Rafi,

How do you assign a shortcut key to a button? for example CTRL+Shift+Y... That shortcut calls the layers settings depending on what it is. I can't use the command ID "layer settings" because it changes so calling shortcuts would allow for that kind of adaptability. 

Also, do you need any beta testers?

Thanks,

AR
  • [EDIT> Solution:   realized I just needed to edit the json file, where I can do a Find/Replace All to update each year, replacing After Effects 2020 with After Effects 2021 for instance - leaving this posted in case it could help someone else - thanks]

I have lots of scripts that stored inside the ScriptsUI panel. Does Kbar2 have a way to automatically update the pathways or do I have to manually re-link each script every time there's an adobe update and the path changes (e.g. from 
    C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe After Effects 2019\Support Files\Scripts\ScriptUI Panels
    to C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe After Effects 2020\Support Files\Scripts\ScriptUI Panels
    to C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe After Effects 2021\Support Files\Scripts\ScriptUI Panels )

Thanks for this indispensable script!
  • the wayne said:
    I have the same issue. Some icons are blank. When I try to reload the icons it stays blank.

This problem happens in recent versions of AE and was addressed in KBar 2.0.4. You just need to get the latest version.
  • Just purchased and it's great!  Couple things tho that would make it better
    1. one button, multiple actions, as in Photoshop actions.  Example: precompose all layers, assign label "Red"
    2. easier way to assign menu items.  Can't find some. Example: assign label "Red"
    Thank you for the feedback Hugo. You can accomplish some of what you want with a little bit of code in a scriptlet.

As for menu items you should just be able to type the command you want even if it's not in the dropdown. Most (but not all) commands are available.
  • Hi Rafi,

How do you assign a shortcut key to a button? for example CTRL+Shift+Y... That shortcut calls the layers settings depending on what it is. I can't use the command ID "layer settings" because it changes so calling shortcuts would allow for that kind of adaptability. 

Also, do you need any beta testers?

Thanks,

AR
    Hi Ariel, unfortunately shortcut keys aren't possible due to limitations in AE itself. I would happily add it if it was possible.

And yes! I'm always interested in beta testers! Please email me at [email protected].
  • Hi,

I just bought this. I'm liking it so far but I have a few questions.

Is it possible to create buttons for items in the'Add' dropdown on Shape Layers? Rectangle, Elipse, Fill, Stroke, Trim Paths, Repeater etc?

I set up a button to create a new Solid but it won't create one in my comp timeline. It drops it into the project library and I have to then drag it in from there onto the timeline. Why is this happening? It kind of defeats the point.

I'm also finding there are some items that don't seem to respond to KBar. I set up buttons to open the Joysticks n Sliders and Duik panels and they work fine... but I can't get any button to work with SpringyFX. Why is that?

Many thanks.

SJ.
  • Hi!
    Why can't I delete or edit a created button? I can create it, but I can't delete it. What is the reason?
    Thanks
  • Hi!
    Why can't I delete or edit a created button? I can create it, but I can't delete it. What is the reason?
    Thanks
    Hi Oleksandr, you probably upgraded from a very old version of KBar recently. The upgrade logic from it is slightly broken. Please open a support ticket with a copy of your kbar.json file and I can fix it for you. Thanks!
  • Hi,

I just bought this. I'm liking it so far but I have a few questions.

Is it possible to create buttons for items in the'Add' dropdown on Shape Layers? Rectangle, Elipse, Fill, Stroke, Trim Paths, Repeater etc?

I set up a button to create a new Solid but it won't create one in my comp timeline. It drops it into the project library and I have to then drag it in from there onto the timeline. Why is this happening? It kind of defeats the point.

I'm also finding there are some items that don't seem to respond to KBar. I set up buttons to open the Joysticks n Sliders and Duik panels and they work fine... but I can't get any button to work with SpringyFX. Why is that?

Many thanks.

SJ.
    Hi Sean,

1. Not every single menu item is accessible by KBar's "Menu Item" button. This is simply a limitation of scripting in After Effects. This is definitely possible to through a scriptlet but I personally don't know how to write it. You would need to find someone else to write the ~5 lines of code for you. If you do that, please share it with me so I could add it natively into KBar.

2. As for SpringyFX it's an issue with their script. You need to ask the author to follow these instructions to make it work with KBar.

• can i customize icon in kbar for time freeze on last key frame ?????????

• can i customize icon in kbar for alt {  the short cut used to trim in point of layer
  • Is KBar compatible with Mac? It works perfectly on PC but the Kbar panel groups are showing up black on my Mac Book Pro.
  • Is KBar compatible with Mac? It works perfectly on PC but the Kbar panel groups are showing up black on my Mac Book Pro.
    Certainly, i have been using it on Mac for ages. Remember it is an extension and needs to be installed differently to the regular copy paste scripts. 
    I experienced this issue when my AE was too new for the version of KBar i had. Make sure you have latest Kbar
  • I absolutely love KBar.  I have it on a couple of machines at my studio, but I'd be willing to pay for volume licensing if there was a way to propagate the same toolbars across all the machines in the studio, Mac and Win10. Please let me know if there is a way to do this or may someday become a way.  Sign me up for the beta if you's like.
  • I absolutely love KBar.  I have it on a couple of machines at my studio, but I'd be willing to pay for volume licensing if there was a way to propagate the same toolbars across all the machines in the studio, Mac and Win10. Please let me know if there is a way to do this or may someday become a way.  Sign me up for the beta if you's like.
    I second this. Although an easier solution could be an account - sync of some kind so whenever i change my kbar layout, it updates across all my machines
  • can i customize icon in kbar for time freeze on last key frame ?????????

All icons in KBar are customizable. Just click the "Icon" button and pick whatever one you want.

Hey Scott! I'm working on this exact scenario for the next big update to KBar and would *love* to hear more about your use case and how I can make this a seamless/easy experience. Can you please email me at [email protected]?
  • the wayne said:
    I absolutely love KBar.  I have it on a couple of machines at my studio, but I'd be willing to pay for volume licensing if there was a way to propagate the same toolbars across all the machines in the studio, Mac and Win10. Please let me know if there is a way to do this or may someday become a way.  Sign me up for the beta if you's like.
    I second this. Although an easier solution could be an account - sync of some kind so whenever i change my kbar layout, it updates across all my machines

Hi Wayne, you're right. A common way people solve this is with a file sharing service like dropbox or a network share and pointing KBar to load toolbars from a non-default location.  This works great if your setup needs to be identical everywhere; however, some motion designers work in a team and want to share a single toolbar. I'd love to hear if this is the case for you and how you'd like KBar to behave.