• Was considering to roll my own script but am glad I invested in this - huge time saver with a healthy amount of options.

Some missing features:
    * Would like the option (or a pop-up box asking me) to use the previously rendered movie file without re-rendering. This would allow faster experimentation with compression settings.
    * Custom framerate
  • Is there a way to avoid the underscore "_" naming?

All .gifs created with GifGun are adding an underscore in all Spaces!
    Si If I hat to render a comp named "Gif Gun" I will get a "Gif_Gun.gif" 

ANY IDEAS?
  • Nikits AE said:
    Is there a way to avoid the underscore "_" naming?

ANY IDEAS?
    Hi Nikits,

This is done intentionally to avoid any naming conflicts.

Nik
  • Bz Xo said:
    Was considering to roll my own script but am glad I invested in this - huge time saver with a healthy amount of options.

Some missing features:
    * Would like the option (or a pop-up box asking me) to use the previously rendered movie file without re-rendering. This would allow faster experimentation with compression settings.
    * Custom framerate
    Hi Bz,

Thanks for suggestion.
    When it comes to GIF frame rates, you may set to "as comp" and change the original composition frame rate. Just remember that as a format, GIF has no frame rate per se. It shows each image in N*1/100th of a second, and this limits the possible frame rate values.

Nik
  • Nik Ska said:
    Nikits AE said:

ANY IDEAS?
    Hi Nikits,

Nik

The truth is that I use the "GifGun" together with the "Save Comp as File" Script and I need identical file names (I am not going deeper to that)
    So I must go to every .gif file and rename/remove the "_" OR name all my comps with _ instead of space which is really annoying :(

P.S.
    I am not really sure why this is intentionally because when exporting quicktime, mp4 or other files this is not happening.
    Maybe the user can have a check box for that and select manually to have "_" for spaces.

Nikits

• Nikits AE said:
    Nik Ska said:
    Nikits AE said:

ANY IDEAS?
    Hi Nikits,

Nik

The truth is that I use the "GifGun" together with the "Save Comp as File" Script and I need identical file names (I am not going deeper to that)
    So I must go to every .gif file and rename/remove the "_" OR name all my comps with _ instead of space which is really annoying :(

P.S.
    I am not really sure why this is intentionally because when exporting quicktime, mp4 or other files this is not happening.
    Maybe the user can have a check box for that and select manually to have "_" for spaces.

Nikits

Got it Nikits.

To be honest, we were really considering changing the naming system in GifGun. Besides, we wrote a new and much better one for BGR - it accounts for all kinds of edge cases.
    Stay tuned, I've scheduled the new naming system for future GifGun releases.

Nik
  • I am a complete potato as far as After Effects goes, but gifgun is really helpful and allows me to easily create 'the right size' gifs for clients and various applications. Thank you for keeping it simple (and real).
  • A little help please!,

I recently bought this plugin which has helped my workflow, but much to my disappointment, all of my renders exported really pixelated!

I have the 2020 After Effects update (my laptop can't go any higher), my GIF is 1280x550, 30fps, transparent, and the design elements are from Adobe Illustration (these aren't shape layers btw).

Any help?

• A little help please!,

I recently bought this plugin which has helped my workflow, but much to my disappointment, all of my renders exported really pixelated!

I have the 2020 After Effects update (my laptop can't go any higher), my GIF is 1280x550, 30fps, transparent, and the design elements are from Adobe Illustration (these aren't shape layers btw).

Any help?

Hi,

GIF has no smooth transparency, so edge pixels are either 100% on or 100% off. That might result in jagger edges, so the fix its basically manually adding 1-2 pixels outline to the whole animation to avoid it.

Nik
  • I am a complete potato as far as After Effects goes, but gifgun is really helpful and allows me to easily create 'the right size' gifs for clients and various applications. Thank you for keeping it simple (and real).
    Thank you for the feedback! I hope you have a lot of smooth client interactions - exactly the reason for us to create GifGun.

Nik
  • Hi, I'm having an issue loading the plugin on After effects 2020. It gives me the following error: "Unable to execute script at line 3448. null is not an object"
  • Thank you for answering my previous questions! Now I have a new one >.< I've tried exporting a new Gif, but now the file only says "-0" and its a TextEdit file instead of a GIF file. Also, it will export the png sequensec, but still no gif. This wasn't happening before, so now I'm stuck again...

• Hi, I'm having an issue loading the plugin on After effects 2020. It gives me the following error: "Unable to execute script at line 3448. null is not an object"
    Hi Adolfo,

This issue might appear if you for some reasons don't have access to the User Library folder. One possible option is: https://aescripts.com/knowledgebase/index/view/faq/dropbox-macos-warning/

If that is not the case, check your account access rights and open a support ticket

Nik
  • Thank you for answering my previous questions! Now I have a new one >.< I've tried exporting a new Gif, but now the file only says "-0" and its a TextEdit file instead of a GIF file. Also, it will export the png sequensec, but still no gif. This wasn't happening before, so now I'm stuck again...

Hi Anneliese,

Please  open a support ticket and specify your After Effects, Operating system and GifGun versions

Nik
  • Hey.

This plug-in is dope. Thank you for making it.

One thing that would make it better for perfectionists like me: allow us to or automatically prevent certain colors from being adjusted.
    For example, I'm creating a gif that will be on a white email and compressing to 64 colors is adjusting this particular gif's #FFFFFF to #FAFAFB.
    In most cases this probably isn't a big deal but it will create a subtle but unintended line on this email.

Again, love GifGun—just a little thing.
  • I am getting this error for AE 2020 

"unable to execute script at line 3448. null is not an object" 
    I have uninstalled and installed, restarted, everything I can think of. 

Please help!
  • Hi also getting this error – can the post linked here be more specific about what actions to take for Dropbox? I'm not seeing a clear option to to 'turn off this feature' only an option to 'Manage Backup' – after I click that I'm able to deselect folders that I chose to sync with Dropbox, which I think (I found out the hard way) is not what I'm supposed to do. Thanks!

Update: If you have Dropbox, you do have to deselect all folder under Preferences > Backups > This Mac > Manage Backup. I just did that and it got rid of the error. 

Nik Ska said:
    Hi, I'm having an issue loading the plugin on After effects 2020. It gives me the following error: "Unable to execute script at line 3448. null is not an object"
    Hi Adolfo,

This issue might appear if you for some reasons don't have access to the User Library folder. One possible option is: https://aescripts.com/knowledgebase/index/view/faq/dropbox-macos-warning/

If that is not the case, check your account access rights and open a support ticket

Nik

• I'm very interested in the plugin, but I'd like to know if it's available for the very latest version of After Effects on macOS 11.1 (specifically the version 17.6).
    Thank you.
  • I'm very interested in the plugin, but I'd like to know if it's available for the very latest version of After Effects on macOS 11.1 (specifically the version 17.6).
    Thank you.
    Hi Filippo,

Since 11.1 is not that different from 10.15, GifGun does work on it as before. We haven't tested it on M1 architecture yet, but it should also work there. AE 17.6 is also supported.

Nik
  • does it work with the new chip m1?
  • hi gifgun is crashing in AE 17.7
  • Hi, 

Every time I click output to a custom folder it goes to the upper most root of the drive. This is really annoying when I'm making new folders for outputs every day and i spend a long time twirling down 15 folders to get to the right folder. It would be great if the default path was the place you last exported a gif to. 

Thanks
  • hi gifgun is crashing in AE 17.7
    There is an unfortunate bug in the After Effects 17.7 version which affects all panels that are using the "Legacy UI" feature which causes them to crash on startup.

• hi gifgun is crashing in AE 18
  • Does gifgun work with AE 2021? I manually installed it and everything seemed to be working but there is no export in my folder.
  • It's not loading on 2021, as if it wasn't installed.
  • i have the same issue. can't seem to find it in v18.0

• I can't seem to find the GIF in my project file in the latest version. It creates the 'gifGunGIFS' folder but there is no file in there.
  • Does gifgun work with AE 2021? I manually installed it and everything seemed to be working but there is no export in my folder.
    Were you able to resolve this?
  • Drew Kirk said:
    Does gifgun work with AE 2021? I manually installed it and everything seemed to be working but there is no export in my folder.
    Were you able to resolve this?
    Hi Drew,

Version 1.7.18 supports CC2021

Nik
  • Feature Request: 
    Ability to set the time duration on the last frame of the gif.  Sounds odd but I do this in photoshop timeline to allow a gif to pause for a number of seconds before looping and thus saving file-size.  
  • Doesn't work anymore. The new version isn't working either
  • I just re-ordered in hopes that it will work again on CC 2021. I have been having issues trying to get this to work for a year. I am installing correctly. I have consistently gotten the "Unable to execute script at line 3212. Null is not an object". The window opes with no buttons or functionality. I have uninstalled and reinstalled several times. PLEASE HELP!
  • GifGun stopped working when I updated to AE CC2021. I updated GifGun to 1.7.18 as well. It just creates an empty folder, but there is no gif.
  • GifGun stopped working when I updated to AE CC2021. I updated GifGun to 1.7.18 as well. It just creates an empty folder, but there is no gif.

I just re-ordered in hopes that it will work again on CC 2021. I have been having issues trying to get this to work for a year. I am installing correctly. I have consistently gotten the "Unable to execute script at line 3212. Null is not an object". The window opes with no buttons or functionality. I have uninstalled and reinstalled several times. PLEASE HELP!

Doesn't work anymore. The new version isn't working either
    May I ask you to uninstall GifGun first and then reinstall it to see whether it works. I've re-tested on our test machines (Win and macOS) and 1.7.18 definitely works.
    Please also consider turning off Dropbox whole system sync for macOS, it still tampers with aescripts tools.

Nik
  • GifGun produces only .mov file and no .gif.
    If I try to select [UPDATE PRESETS] option in the Render Preset dropdow I get an Error (can't import Alpha Template)
  • Hi,

I have been running GifGun successfully on AE 2021 for the last few weeks, cranking out countless gifs for a client, but a couple of days ago it stopped working. Nothing changed on my system between my last successful use of GifGun on Friday, to it no longer working on Monday. When I click Make Gif a pop-up window papers which reads: 

There seems to be a preset issue. We have opened GiFGun settings for you, uncheck 'Keep Alpha' or 'Use Experimental Engine' and select [UPDATE PRESETS] in the 'Render Preset' dropdown. Then relaunch After Effects and try again.

Neither the Keep Alpha or Use Experimental Engine were checked when this started, and I've tried selecting UPDATE PRESETS as prompted, relaunched AE, and repeated this numerous times with no success. I even tried uninstalling and reinstalling with no luck.

Any help would be extremely appreciated, because I use this wonder tool almost daily for my clients and I'm now unable to. 
  • Hey guys! Running the last everything on mac os, my gifs will only render to 99%. I get a png folder but no gif anymore? Can anyone help?
  • Hi! There appears to be a bug whenever I set the loop to 1, it always exports with 2 loops and I have to manually correct it with Photoshop. Would love a fix if possible!
  • Hi.
    I'm having problems with gifgun in version 2021 of after effects.
    I bought, downloaded and installed it. and when I use it it returns me the following errors :
    • After Effects wrning: ERROR: Access denied.
    • Unable to execute script at line 6. undefined is not an object
    And I already checked the option "Allow scripts to write ... in the preferences menu.
  • An error keeps popping up everything my export fails, it reads "There is no script engine for file extension "vbs". What is the work around? I'm on a Windows 10 and using AE 2020.
    Same here
  • Tom Moth said:
    Hey guys! Running the last everything on mac os, my gifs will only render to 99%. I get a png folder but no gif anymore? Can anyone help?

GifGun stopped working when I updated to AE CC2021. I updated GifGun to 1.7.18 as well. It just creates an empty folder, but there is no gif.
    Same here
    When updating to the newest GifGun or After Effects version, there might be some presets issues. Please try the following procedure:

First, do the test with 300 by 300 pixels 3 seconds long composition. If it works, then you just need to give GifGun more time to compile the animation. Long compositions with large resolutions tend to take more time to compile.

Also, uncheck "Keep Alpha" or "Use Experimental Engine" and select [UPDATE PRESETS] option in the Render Preset dropdown. That might help to get things running.
    If that does not work, please contact us and we are going to help.

Team Extrabite
  • Neth Nom said:
    An error keeps popping up everything my export fails, it reads "There is no script engine for file extension "vbs". What is the work around? I'm on a Windows 10 and using AE 2020.
    Hi Neth,

Seems like there's an issue with your Windows installation. Here's a stackoverflow thread on the similar issue: vbscript - Error - "There is no script engine for file extension .vbs" when using "Git Bash Here" in Windows 7 - Stack Overflow

Nik
  • Hi.
    I'm having problems with gifgun in version 2021 of after effects.
    I bought, downloaded and installed it. and when I use it it returns me the following errors :
    • After Effects wrning: ERROR: Access denied.
    • Unable to execute script at line 6. undefined is not an object
    And I already checked the option "Allow scripts to write ... in the preferences menu.

Dropbox is messing up with the system folders and that doesn't let GifGun to function properly.

But you may also have other system restrictions e.g. set by your administrator, or firewall/antivirus in a high alert mode.

This issue has nothing to do with the way GifGun works.

Nik

• Nik Ska said:
    GifGun stopped working when I updated to AE CC2021. I updated GifGun to 1.7.18 as well. It just creates an empty folder, but there is no gif.

I just re-ordered in hopes that it will work again on CC 2021. I have been having issues trying to get this to work for a year. I am installing correctly. I have consistently gotten the "Unable to execute script at line 3212. Null is not an object". The window opes with no buttons or functionality. I have uninstalled and reinstalled several times. PLEASE HELP!

Doesn't work anymore. The new version isn't working either
    May I ask you to uninstall GifGun first and then reinstall it to see whether it works. I've re-tested on our test machines (Win and macOS) and 1.7.18 definitely works.
    Please also consider turning off Dropbox whole system sync for macOS, it still tampers with aescripts tools.

Nik
    I installed and uninstalled an infinate amount of times. And I do not have dropbox on my computer. I still get the.:

"Unable to execute script at line 3212. null is not n object" 

I have been getting this error for months and have not been able to find a solution. I have not been able to use gif gun at all.....

Please help!
  • Hi!! Can't I make transparent gifs without looping? thanks!
  • keep getting "render queue is not empty" even though it is. 2021. In beta, it will not recognize license, just keeps saying trial is over.
  • Hello,
    I'm getting an error message whenever I try to use Gifgun:  "Unable to execute script at line 3212. Null is not an object". 
    I have updated to AE 2021 (I had the same error message in 2020 version) and have updated to Gifgun 1.7.18. Any advice would be appreciated!

• Hi!! Can't I make transparent gifs without looping? thanks!
    Hi Levy,

Set the amount of loops to 1, not 0. Then check the result in the browser.

Nik