• Hello Free Composers!

Thank you so much for downloading Free Compose. I'll be working hard in the coming weeks to address any feedback on the script!

Happy organizing,
    Steven
  • wow, I've been waiting for this since AE v5. hoping keyboard shortcuts will eventually be possible. thank you!
  • Hi, its a pretty neat and useful tool!! But I was wondering if I'm able to pass the AE file to some one who doesn't have the script?

• Hello. I just admire your script! It is very useful! I am currently testing a trial version. And I found one bug. In AE CC version If you apply an effect to group container, and then update by hovering on the script panel, effects doesn't review on group layers. In CC2020 everything works fine.
  • wow, I've been waiting for this since AE v5. hoping keyboard shortcuts will eventually be possible. thank you!
    Hey Ronny, thank you I'm glad it will be of use to you! I will work on shortcuts in my next iteration. They will probably follow the same enabled/disabled structure as the buttons do, based on what's selected in the layers panel.

Norm C. said:
    Hi, its a pretty neat and useful tool!! But I was wondering if I'm able to pass the AE file to some one who doesn't have the script?

Hey Norm, thanks very much! Yes you can pass this to someone without the script. All the settings, keyframes, and work you've done will remain. They will be able to move the group from the parent null, and change the effect params of groups already set. Features like auto-sync, of course they will not have, so they will have to select a group, its layers, and the end group layer when they move them in the timeline or layer stack.

When you get the file back, you can sync any group and the layers they've added or subtracted between a Group and its End Group layer will be updated with effects etc.

Hello. I just admire your script! It is very useful! I am currently testing a trial version. And I found one bug. In AE CC version If you apply an effect to group container, and then update by hovering on the script panel, effects doesn't review on group layers. In CC2020 everything works fine.

Hi Sergey, thank you! And thank you for finding this. I think I know where to look in the code and will test shortly. In the meantime, until I release the update, I will change the compatibility of the tool to compensate for AE CC. Glad you are able to enjoy it in CC 2020!
  • Hey steven,
    first of all, thank you so much of this. This is a very needed feature and im super greatful for your effort in making this.
    ive been using it and i have a few bug reports + suggestions

bug reports:

1. i dont know why, but sometimes the script just gets stuck and gets inactive, so i have to close the script ui window and reopen it again. it usually happens when im in auto sync mode, so its worth checking. i have the latest version of after effects. 

2. anchor point of the group layer is sometimes placed at the top left , even when all the objects' anchor points are placed at their center
    suggestions :

1. duplicating system - an ability to duplicate a comp with property links or without them - that way ill be able to use a group that is controlled by the "master group" - maybe a master group could even have a specific color so id know which one effects the others.

2. an ability to press the "eye" icon on the group layer so it will turn off the visibility for all the elements inside that group.

• tomer kat said:
    Hey steven,
    first of all, thank you so much of this. This is a very needed feature and im super greatful for your effort in making this.
    ive been using it and i have a few bug reports + suggestions

bug reports:

1. i dont know why, but sometimes the script just gets stuck and gets inactive, so i have to close the script ui window and reopen it again. it usually happens when im in auto sync mode, so its worth checking. i have the latest version of after effects. 

2. anchor point of the group layer is sometimes placed at the top left , even when all the objects' anchor points are placed at their center
    suggestions :

1. duplicating system - an ability to duplicate a comp with property links or without them - that way ill be able to use a group that is controlled by the "master group" - maybe a master group could even have a specific color so id know which one effects the others.

2. an ability to press the "eye" icon on the group layer so it will turn off the visibility for all the elements inside that group.

Hey Tomer Kat,

I really appreciate your feedback!

1. I will do some digging on this. I do know that happens with the layer settings eye dropper, but that's the only time I've recreated the situation so far.

2. Thanks for finding this, I believe I can address this very shortly.

Features:

1. I agree, this could be a great feature and in any case there should be a duplication function. This will be my first priority after squashing those bugs. I believe I can implement that in the coming week.

2. Good input. I initially avoided switches because I wanted flexibility in the group layers (for eg some are already visible, some not, when grouped). I think a good middle ground would be to have Free Compose store the previously set visibility for restoration. I'll work on that.
  • Hi Steven,
    I just downloaded the plugin and am getting 2 bugs:
    - the group's anchor point is created in the top left corner
    - When I select "AutoSync" I get an error message: "Unable to execute script at line 1. Function refreshGroup2 is undefined"

• Hi Steven,
    I just downloaded the plugin and am getting 2 bugs:
    - the group's anchor point is created in the top left corner
    - When I select "AutoSync" I get an error message: "Unable to execute script at line 1. Function refreshGroup2 is undefined"
    Hey Andrew,

Thanks for this feedback. I believe I've found the bug culprit, just need a few hours tonight to adjust and update the code! Stand by.

Steven

Edit Nov 4th 11pm: fixed the corner null bug. For the second bug, I know it's just an extra bracket or something that snuck in last minute. Searching first thing in the morning and will then update the file.
  • So happy that you made this! Probably one of my most wanted features in After Effects. I'm experience the same bugs as some other commenters here, but I'm happy to read that you are very active in squashing the bugs and adding more features. Definitely would love those keyboard shortcut mentioned so I can quickly show and hide groups without having to use the panel. Keep up the good word!

Edit: Also it would be awesome to see a future version that has a slim design that would easily fit to the left of the timeline and not take up a lot of space. Either that or K Bar compatibility (like explode shape layers for instance) where we could just set a K-bar button to execute functions like show/hide or make/release group. I want to make this part of my everyday use, but need it to take up as little screen space as possible. 

Edit #2: When I have a group selected and the layers are hidden it would be nice to be able to toggle all of their visibility with the group layer visibility (eye) toggle. Much like you would with a pre-comp.

P.S. I have no idea how simple or difficult my suggestions are, but I'm just throwing them out there in case they are something you think would be worth adding :)
  • Hi steven, thanks for your work you did with this plugin, I have been waiting for this for a long time, I can't even understand why Adobe hasn't already done it yet? ...
    ...just to say that I noticed when you shorten the group limit, the layers that are part of the group and which go outside the limit keep playing by the timeline playhead !? I find that abnormal
    for me the limit should be set automatically with the first layer until the last...no? why did you do that?

1.jpg
    2501 x 1464 - 359K
  • What the functions correspond to, and we can animate them:
    -Number of layers in Group
    -Auto-set In Point
    even if I understood more or less theses functions I would like to know more, please, Thanks

• Hi steven, thanks for your work you did with this plugin, I have been waiting for this for a long time, I can't even understand why Adobe hasn't already done it yet? ...
    ...just to say that I noticed when you shorten the group limit, the layers that are part of the group and which go outside the limit keep playing by the timeline playhead !? I find that abnormal
    for me the limit should be set automatically with the first layer until the last...no? why did you do that?

Hi Christian,

Thanks for your comment. I am glad you're enjoying it.

That is intentional. I seemed to have a choice: when refreshing, the script could either look for the contained layers and their in/out points then adjust itself (what I went with), or do the opposite and adjust the contained layers based on the in/out of the group. There are so many ways the script needs to respond to user input and be flexible that I felt opening the group, making your changes, and then updating the group layer was best. If enough people think the opposite, I'm open to working with that. I want to make Free Compose's UX the best it can be.

As for the effects on the group layer: I don't recommend changing either of them, but I will explain their purpose...

The Number of Layers In Group effect is there to tell Free Compose how many layers are between the Group Layer and its End Group Layer (created just below the selected layers). This also includes the End Group Layer in the count. The script uses this number to know how many layers to manipulate when you use its functions like Select/Show/etc. If you change it, it will update itself to be accurate next time you mouse over the panel, hit Sync 1x, or auto-sync.

The Auto-set In Point is the time of the beginning of the group layer when it was created/last refreshed. Free Compose uses this to know how far to move the contained layers based on its own relative position to this number.
  • Hi... this looks like a great product. Does it support time remapping or stretching? If not, do you have plans to invest in it if possible?
  • Hi Steven!
    thank you for your reply concerning the in/out point of the layer group, for my part it is sure that interesting to have the flexibility to stretch the layer group as you want but would it be possible to give the choice for a next update? you can leave open to stretch or close the layer group in/out from first element to the last.
    I look forward to the next evolutions of you plugin, thank you very much for your work!
    Christian
  • Hi.
    This looks like a very good project.
    But unfortunately it didn't work in my environment.
    Please fix it.
    I tried a few things and it doesn't work in the Japanese environment. Also, even with the English menu, it didn't seem to work if the layer name contains Japanese in it.

• Hey Noriyuki,

That was brought to my attention, and I've been doubling down on a fix. I believe I've got it all sorted (there is a video here where I tested it in the Japanese environment, with my OS set to japanese as well: ).

It is important to note that Free Compose looks for "Group: # ||" at the beginning of a layer, so you should not edit anything before the ||. Anything after that is fine. Will update that in the How-To-Use files.

Going to do a little more testing in the morning, and upload a new version if it's suitable.

Thanks so much,
    Steven

Hi.
    Please fix it.
    I tried a few things and it doesn't work in the Japanese environment. Also, even with the English menu, it didn't seem to work if the layer name contains Japanese in it.

• Hi, steven.
    Thanks for the quick response!
    I will buy this as soon as it is available.

Hey Noriyuki,

That was brought to my attention, and I've been doubling down on a fix. I believe I've got it all sorted (there is a video here where I tested it in the Japanese environment, with my OS set to japanese as well: ).

It is important to note that Free Compose looks for "Group: # ||" at the beginning of a layer, so you should not edit anything before the ||. Anything after that is fine. Will update that in the How-To-Use files.

Going to do a little more testing in the morning, and upload a new version if it's suitable.

Thanks so much,
    Steven

Hi.
    Please fix it.

• Update: V1.1

Thank you everybody for your feedback. I've addressed some of your comments and uploaded a new version which you are encouraged to update to.

Bug fixes:

1. Compatability with some non-english versions of After Effects.

2. Grouping could get stuck at creation of the End Group layer, when grouping layers at the top or bottom of the layer stack.

3. Message "refreshGroup2 is undefined" when using Auto-sync.

4. Issue with group nulls sometimes being parented in the upper left.

Feature changes:

1. Groups now refresh their layers' visibility based on the status of the group's visibility. (Affects all layers)

2. Group FX are removed when using both '<' and '>' functions.

Next, I will be looking at implementing new features that you guys have talked about. Here is what I'm considering, in order of priority:

1. A duplication function. Duplicating a group manually right now may get messy and I want to automate that.

2. Support for time-stretching.

3. An optional, alternate layout that is a condensed vertical stack of icons. Less space taken up. Also, keyboard shortcuts.

4. The ability for refresh to know if you have manually changed the in/out of the group layer, and adjust its contained layers' in/outs accordingly to cut them (this will be complex and take time).

Any issues/comments, feel free to email [email protected] for direct discussion.

• Hello Steven, Amazing script!

I just having a issue , that I can figure out what is happening.

Sometimes when I try to create a group, it creates a Shape Layer called "End Group NaN" at top of timeline and does't create the group, and that just happen with some layers not with all of then...

cheers 
  • Hello Steven, Amazing script!

I just having a issue , that I can figure out what is happening.

Sometimes when I try to create a group, it creates a Shape Layer called "End Group NaN" at top of timeline and does't create the group, and that just happen with some layers not with all of then...

cheers 
    Hi Raphael,

Thank you for your kind words.

I addressed a bug that did that in the update V1.1 on Nov 6th. It sounds like you're using the original version. 

Downloading the script right now with the "TRY" button will give you the updated jsxbin script file, and the updated "How to Use" document.

If issues persist, please open a support ticket so I can help.
  • Hi thanks for your really cool and useful Script,

Just a suggestion of new features:
    - a lock layer  button for the select group
    - an active/desactive button for expression

thank you
  • Hi everyone,

Just wanted to let you know I'm working hard to improve Free Compose with a couple of new features. I did not expect the script to be this popular, but that means I can happily dedicate more time for updates!

Below is a WIP of a group duplication feature, and an In/Out that works more like you would expect from a precomp. Once I have thoroughly tested it in all the scenarios I can think of, I will release an update for you to download. In addition, I have a bug squashed that can result from group numbers over 10.

Thank you again to everyone who has downloaded it.

• Could not download version 1.1
    I have updated the file (there was a line in it indicating it was still V1.0) - updating the file should now let the manager know it's up to date.
  • Hi, the "Try button" method to get v1.1 doesn't seem to work... I'm still getting a 1.1 zip file with 1.0 included. Thanks!
  • I was asking around about something and someone pointed me to free compose as a solution. here is my main question

I watched the tutorial and saw that you can put effects on the group control layer but can I animate position, opacity, scale etc on the group control layer? and the thing i'm really looking for is the ability to animate the group control layer and the grouped layers will do that animation wherever they "start" in the timeline. My issue right now in after effects is if i make a null or parent the child has to animate at the same position on the timeline.
  • I was asking around about something and someone pointed me to free compose as a solution. here is my main question

I watched the tutorial and saw that you can put effects on the group control layer but can I animate position, opacity, scale etc on the group control layer? and the thing i'm really looking for is the ability to animate the group control layer and the grouped layers will do that animation wherever they "start" in the timeline. My issue right now in after effects is if i make a null or parent the child has to animate at the same position on the timeline.
    Hey Chad,

Thanks for asking. By default, all layers are parented to a group null to control position/rotation/etc to match at the same time. My next update (very soon) will include a better way to control the in/out and opacity.

In the particular case of what I think you're looking for (animate properties from whenever each layer starts), I believe you could get that done with an expression something like this:

var n = "Group: 1 |   Circles"; //Put the name of whatever layer you're controlling it with in these quotes
    var t = thisComp.layer(n).startTime;
    var s = thisLayer.startTime;
    thisComp.layer(n).transform.opacity.valueAtTime((t+time)-s);

Then just replace "transform.opacity" with "transform.position" etc depending on which property you're animating, and keyframe the "Group: 1 | Circles" layer, or whatever you name your null.

Hope that helps!

Steven
    Please click the try button to download V1.1 and manually replace the Free Compose.jsxbin file in your Script UI folder. 
    It is also version 1.0.
    It doesn't help.
  • I try the previous method that you mentioned (click the try button to download V1.1), but still the same V1 version. Please help!
    Please click the try button to download V1.1 and manually replace the Free Compose.jsxbin file in your Script UI folder. 
    It is also version 1.0.
    It doesn't help.
    Finally, 1.1 version was downloaded normally.  It wasn't Steven Twig's problem, it was probably the server's problem.
  • Hi, I have problems with Trk.Mat, the container turn On visibility everytime I show/hide group. 

After Effects Version 15 on Win 10

• Hi, I have problems with Trk.Mat, the container turn On visibility everytime I show/hide group. 

After Effects Version 15 on Win 10

Hey Gustavo,

Thanks for the report - I've just sent you an email with an altered script file to try. If it works for you, I'll update on the Free Compose page as well for others.

Steven
  • Hi Steven

Thanks for the quick response, Trk.Mat issue get resolve but unfortunately there is another error, when you add a new layer to a group pop ups the following message error: After Effects: Undo group mismatch, will attempt to fix. Then After Effects crash. I recorded my screen to show you what happens. 

• Hey Steven!

I'm having a small problem when I group layers it seems to take layers I don't have selected and group them inside the null. I'm also having a problem where it's not naming the groups as well and the only way I've been able to fix the naming problem is by renaming the layer and then it magically is back to normal.

Look forward to hearing back from you!

Echo

Heres a gif of my problem:
  • Echo Wood said:
    Hey Steven!

I'm having a small problem when I group layers it seems to take layers I don't have selected and group them inside the null. I'm also having a problem where it's not naming the groups as well and the only way I've been able to fix the naming problem is by renaming the layer and then it magically is back to normal.

Echo

Hey Echo,

Thanks for the gif, that's very helpful.

1: At the moment, Free Compose only groups layers that are next to each other (so for eg, WILKO 2, WILKO, Shape Layer 4).

2: At the column headers of your layer panel, click 'Source Name' to switch the view to 'Layer Name'.

Cheers,
    Steven
  • Echo Wood said:
    Hey Steven!

Echo

Hey Echo,

Thanks for the gif, that's very helpful.

1: At the moment, Free Compose only groups layers that are next to each other (so for eg, WILKO 2, WILKO, Shape Layer 4).

2: At the column headers of your layer panel, click 'Source Name' to switch the view to 'Layer Name'.

Cheers,
    Steven
    Thank you for the fast reply!

I appreciate the info about Free compose not being able to group layers that aren't next to each other I'll keep that in mind from now on!
    and thank you for the tip on the layer name that's fixed my problem!

Thanks again,

Echo
  • Hi Steven.
    Free Compose looks like to tool I need, except that I wonder if I can turn On & Off the layer group audio channels ?
    (Like visibility switch, but for audio in layers)

• Hi Steven.
    Free Compose looks like to tool I need, except that I wonder if I can turn On & Off the layer group audio channels ?
    (Like visibility switch, but for audio in layers)

Hey Jose,

Since the Group Control Layer is a Null object, it doesn't have an audio switch. The next update includes a way to control audio. I'm emailing you with a slightly altered version to achieve what you're looking for.

Steven
  • Hey steven, auto sync is not working here. mouse over looks fine, but when I do turn auto sync on, it simply dos not update the layer, and for the mouse over to be back I have to close and relaunch the script. Is this a known issue? I'm on after effects 17.5.0

One more thing, how does it work when someone who does not have free compose open my file? Will they have problems? Will they be able at least to edit the effects that were inserted on the group layers?
  • Hey steven, auto sync is not working here. mouse over looks fine, but when I do turn auto sync on, it simply dos not update the layer, and for the mouse over to be back I have to close and relaunch the script. Is this a known issue? I'm on after effects 17.5.0

One more thing, how does it work when someone who does not have free compose open my file? Will they have problems? Will they be able at least to edit the effects that were inserted on the group layers?
    Hi Ronaldo,

Thank you for downloading Free Compose!

Regarding auto-sync, it could be one of two things:
    1) auto-sync still requires the layer to be selected to update it, it doesn't auto-update all groups all the time
    2) There is known issue that when you open certain modal dialog boxes while auto-sync is on (solid layer settings > colour picker, new composition > bg colour picker, maybe others I am unaware of), then it causes an issue requiring restart of the script. Otherwise it should work as expected.

If someone without Free Compose opens your file, they will be able to adjust anything already put on, move the layers' position, the group's keyframes, FX, etc. The differences:
    -They should use the global shy/unshy button to see any hidden layers.
    -Add new effects to the group layer by renaming them "(effect) || Group # FX" and then copy with relative property links and paste to all sublayers
    -Be sure they know that if they want to move groups up or down in the layer stack, they must select and move the group layer, its contained layers, AND the corresponding "End Group" layer.
    -Would need the script to properly add new layers to the group
  • Hi. Just purchased this to use on a current project. I have several layers in a row (text and shape layers). They do not have expressions or effects on them. When I click on Make Group, I get 1 error per layer created (2 if I only test with two layers, 6 if I do all six) -each says: Error at Line 1 in property 'Opacity' of layer x (2-7) in comp ' Main Comp'   Null is not an object, an expression was disabled as a result of an error.  

Created a brand new comp with 2 shapes and 1 text layer - no properties animated. If I select all three and click Make Group, I get the identical set of errors. 

Using latest version of After Effects *v17.5.1 (Build 47)

Thanks for any help.

• Hi. Just purchased this to use on a current project. I have several layers in a row (text and shape layers). They do not have expressions or effects on them. When I click on Make Group, I get 1 error per layer created (2 if I only test with two layers, 6 if I do all six) -each says: Error at Line 1 in property 'Opacity' of layer x (2-7) in comp ' Main Comp'   Null is not an object, an expression was disabled as a result of an error.  

Created a brand new comp with 2 shapes and 1 text layer - no properties animated. If I select all three and click Make Group, I get the identical set of errors. 

Thanks for any help.

Hi Robert,

Hm... unexpected. Please open a support ticket and I will look into it right now. Any screenshots of the layers/opacity expressions will be helpful.

Thanks!
  • Hey Steven - 
    Thanks for quick reply. I just opened a support ticket and attached a few screenshots including expression error.

Thanks for any help.

Hii!! I was having a go with the trial and I was getting this same error (also running AE v17.5.1)
    In my case the expression error is affecting the opacity expression of the group layer and the grouped layers inside it, so the opacity settings of the group layer is not affecting the others.
    Also affects the audio levels expression with the same error: "null is not an object". It did weird things to the audio at first, but I tried to add a couple keyframes to the audio levels of the group layer, and it seems to work fine after that...

I think I'm going to buy Free Compose anyway, to take advantage of the Cyber Sale, so I hope this error can be solved eventually ;)

Thank you for all your work!! =D
  • Hi, thanks for this report and for getting a copy of Free Compose.

I'm currently working on diagnosing the specifics of this. It seems to be that one of the objects referenced while placing expressions is in some cases created by the script after the expression is made. Hoping to have a fix within a few days.

edit: that's why (I believe), making a keyframe or even just clicking into the opacity expression and clicking away makes AE take another look and realize there's nothing missing and it works fine after.

Cheers,
    Steven

Psl Don said:
    Hi. Just purchased this to use on a current project. I have several layers in a row (text and shape layers). They do not have expressions or effects on them. When I click on Make Group, I get 1 error per layer created (2 if I only test with two layers, 6 if I do all six) -each says: Error at Line 1 in property 'Opacity' of layer x (2-7) in comp ' Main Comp'   Null is not an object, an expression was disabled as a result of an error.  

Thanks for any help.

Hii!! I was having a go with the trial and I was getting this same error (also running AE v17.5.1)
    In my case the expression error is affecting the opacity expression of the group layer and the grouped layers inside it, so the opacity settings of the group layer is not affecting the others.
    Also affects the audio levels expression with the same error: "null is not an object". It did weird things to the audio at first, but I tried to add a couple keyframes to the audio levels of the group layer, and it seems to work fine after that...

I think I'm going to buy Free Compose anyway, to take advantage of the Cyber Sale, so I hope this error can be solved eventually ;)

• Hi, thanks for this report and for getting a copy of Free Compose.

I'm currently working on diagnosing the specifics of this. It seems to be that one of the objects referenced while placing expressions is in some cases created by the script after the expression is made. Hoping to have a fix within a few days.

Cheers,
    Steven

Psl Don said:
    Hi. Just purchased this to use on a current project. I have several layers in a row (text and shape layers). They do not have expressions or effects on them. When I click on Make Group, I get 1 error per layer created (2 if I only test with two layers, 6 if I do all six) -each says: Error at Line 1 in property 'Opacity' of layer x (2-7) in comp ' Main Comp'   Null is not an object, an expression was disabled as a result of an error.  

Thanks for any help.

Great!! Thanks so much!! =D
    You're providing such a good support! ;)
  • Psl Don said:
    Hi, thanks for this report and for getting a copy of Free Compose.

Cheers,
    Steven

Psl Don said:

Thanks for any help.

Making sure Free Compose works for everyone is my top priority!

I have a fix for you. In your project go to File > Project Settings... , and in the expressions tab, switch it from "Legacy Extendscript" to Javascript.

Cheers,
    Steven
  • Psl Don said:
    Hi, thanks for this report and for getting a copy of Free Compose.

Cheers,
    Steven

Psl Don said:

Thanks for any help.

Making sure Free Compose works for everyone is my top priority!

I have a fix for you. In your project go to File > Project Settings... , and in the expressions tab, switch it from "Legacy Extendscript" to Javascript.

Cheers,
    Steven
    OH MY!! Hadn't realised I had the Legacy version activated 0o0
    It fixed the issue, such an easy solution xP Thanks sm for that and for the quick troubleshooting, Steven!
    Loving Free Compose so far =D
    Cheers!
  • I couldn't get the aescripts manager app to work for the new update. Now I have two versions of Free Compose (v1.2 is in File>Scripts and 1.3 is in Window). How can I remove the v1.2 from File>Scripts? I can't find it anywhere in my system and even deleted the original file. Thanks.