Realbook 3 for Cinema 4D
  • But... ;)

I'm working with redshift. So with the multishader it works well with the basic structure.

So I decide to duplicate my rounded corners for all my pages.

What I do is the folowing things :
    I create my first page with my own shape.
    I deleted the other one with the "Change the number of Pages" option to "1".
    Then I duplicate my first page to the number of page I needed. 
    And now, it look like there is a problem. Because all my texture are the same. 00-01

Have you any idea what happened ?

• But... ;)

I'm working with redshift. So with the multishader it works well with the basic structure.

So I decide to duplicate my rounded corners for all my pages.

What I do is the folowing things :
    I create my first page with my own shape.
    I deleted the other one with the "Change the number of Pages" option to "1".
    Then I duplicate my first page to the number of page I needed. 
    And now, it look like there is a problem. Because all my texture are the same. 00-01

Have you any idea what happened ?

Can you send me the file at info@giannilorusso.com?
  • Sorry Gianni, my mistake.
    Everything is fine !

Thanks a lot for the reactivity.
  • Good to know! 
    You are welcome.

• hi
    is this plugin support RTL books
    i mean that the book open from the right not from left
  • hi
    is this plugin support RTL books
    i mean that the book open from the right not from left

Hi Bilal,

thanks for your interest, first.

About your question there is no problem, you can choose to animate the book in the direction you want.

• Hi Gianni - I am using realbook 3.1  in R23 and with Octane (most recent version) and so far so good except when it comes to rendering.  The page animation works fine in C4D and shows through in Octane... However when it comes to rendering out the book remains closed.   

However i can go to an individual frame in the page turn animation and can render out the page turning.  

So i animate pages turning everything looks good i go to render and the pages dont move.  Any thoughts?  Thanks Andy
  • I have tried in Redshift and it works so this my be an Octane bug.  Will keep you posted.  Thanks Andy
  • applying octane tag to the realbook object with force updates ticked resolves the issue for me... 
  • applying octane tag to the realbook object with force updates ticked resolves the issue for me... 

Hi Andy,

yes, that’s the way!

• Hello Gianni,
    Does this have an option under Hardcover for a dust jacket and endpapers? I ask because endpapers are treated differently than regular pages (they are glued to the inside cover). Also do you have plans to include different types of binding (perfect, Smyth-sewn, etc.)? And are you planning on supporting signatures (bundles of pages that get bound together). It would allow for more realistic renders.
  • Hello Gianni, Does this have an option under Hardcover for a dust jacket and endpapers? I ask because endpapers are treated differently than regular pages (they are glued to the inside cover). Also do you have plans to include different types of binding (perfect, Smyth-sewn, etc.)? And are you planning on supporting signatures (bundles of pages that get bound together). It would allow for more realistic renders.
    Hi Dustin,
    at the moment nothing you asked for is available, but it could be an interesting topic for a future update.
    Thank you so much.
  • Hey Gianni,
    This is exactly what I am looking for so thank you for creating this.
    I did have one question. Is there any option to color the page edges in the script or would/can it be done in the materials?
    My client is looking for gold edges on the pages.
    Thank you for your time.
  • Hey Gianni,
    This is exactly what I am looking for so thank you for creating this.
    I did have one question. Is there any option to color the page edges in the script or would/can it be done in the materials?
    My client is looking for gold edges on the pages.
    Thank you for your time.
    Hi Nick,
    for sure, you have to give the gold material as main color page and use the other materials for the front and back selections.
    Let's go to time 13:50.
    Thanks to you!

• Hi Gianni,

This is one awesome rig, thanks so much for creating it!

We're using Redshift Render and I cant seem to figure out how to use the mograph Multi Shader with your Realbook.

There also seems to be a slight issue with adding subdivisions to the pages, this seems to mess up the texturing?

Any help would be much appreciated, thanks!
  • Ned Miles said:
    Hi Gianni,

This is one awesome rig, thanks so much for creating it!

We're using Redshift Render and I cant seem to figure out how to use the mograph Multi Shader with your Realbook.

There also seems to be a slight issue with adding subdivisions to the pages, this seems to mess up the texturing?

Any help would be much appreciated, thanks!

Hi Ned,

Thank you so much for your words, first!

For Redshift you have to create two new materials using the Multishader node as you can see in the picture and it will work.

Adding subdivisions is not trivial in the rig. Probably is more simple to add a custom page following these steps:

1. Change the number of pages to 1.

2. Go to the Layer Manager and make the hidden layer visible.

2. Create your own geometry for the page (with rounded corner, with thickness, …) and make it child of the Cube geometry. Adjust the position and the dimension.

3. Now disable the Cube geometry

4. Return on the Layer Manager and hide the layer again.

5. Change again the number of the pages to the value you need.

6. Finish.

Realbook3_Redshift.jpg
    1591 x 918 - 219K
  • Hi Gianni,

is it possible to have partially transparent pages? I have set up the multishader in the alpha channel for both front and back pages, but i can always see the base page color, even if i delete the page color material or make it transparent. Is there a trick to achieve this? 

Thanks in advance 

best regards
  • Hi Gianni,

is it possible to have partially transparent pages? I have set up the multishader in the alpha channel for both front and back pages, but i can always see the base page color, even if i delete the page color material or make it transparent. Is there a trick to achieve this? 

Thanks in advance 

best regards
    Hi Florian, I'm sorry for the slow reply, I  couldn't do it before.
    I can't try at the moment, but I want to propose a simple solution.
    If you make visible the hidden layers you can hide the Cube geometry of the page manually (for render only, if you need to see it in the viewport). If you want the page invisible, it should works.

Best Regards
  • Hi Gianni!

I’m trying to make this work on Cinema 4D and Vray 5. Everything works fine using the standard C4D renderer. The problem I’m having is: I can‘t figure out how to implement the multishader method that you used for standard C4D material. Could you please guide me step by step on how to create a Vray material in order to use with pages, so that I can assign pictures to each page. Thanks!

• Hi Gianni!

I’m trying to make this work on Cinema 4D and Vray 5. Everything works fine using the standard C4D renderer. The problem I’m having is: I can‘t figure out how to implement the multishader method that you used for standard C4D material. Could you please guide me step by step on how to create a Vray material in order to use with pages, so that I can assign pictures to each page. Thanks!

Hi Tore,
    can you tell me wich version of C4D are you using and what have you already tried? Have you tried with VRayMultiSubTex?
    I have never used Vray,  but I would try to find a solution.
    And remember that if it is not possible to take advantage of the multi shader you can always add textures manually on each page.

• Hi Gianni!

Hi Tore,
    can you tell me wich version of C4D are you using and what have you already tried? Have you tried with VRayMultiSubTex?
    I have never used Vray,  but I would try to find a solution.
    And remember that if it is not possible to take advantage of the multi shader you can always add textures manually on each page.

I'm on R24. I tried both VRayMultiSubTex and Multi Shader. With Multi Shader, the last image in the shader list is displayed on every page and the other images are ignored. With VRayMultiSubTex the images doesn't show up at all. I'll try the manual method. Thanks for the reply!
  • When I do it manually for each page, the image is displayed on the back side of the pages as well. Couldn't find the way to stop that from happening.
  • When I do it manually for each page, the image is displayed on the back side of the pages as well. Couldn't find the way to stop that from happening.
    Send me the file at:
    so I can see what is going on.
  • AMAZING work on this!! Masterful, thank you.

I am having trouble with alpha on the pages.  I have worn edges and when I use the normal route of placing the png image in the alpha channel, I end up with black edges.  Is there a way to remedy this? I actually want to further degrade and rip some of these pages using the alpha channel, but need to know how this can work.  Thank you so much if you can help!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/fdp4qx0u8fnc6st/CropperCapture[23].bmp?dl=0

UPDATE:  
    I was able to get this to work by adding the same material again, to the WHOLE cube, underneath the front and back.  Problem is that now I have an edge on the cube.  I made the pages pretty thick.  How do I get rid of that edge and make it invisible?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/e5e4ncuhl7wcvds/CropperCapture[24].bmp?dl=0
  • AMAZING work on this!! Masterful, thank you.

I am having trouble with alpha on the pages.  I have worn edges and when I use the normal route of placing the png image in the alpha channel, I end up with black edges.  Is there a way to remedy this? I actually want to further degrade and rip some of these pages using the alpha channel, but need to know how this can work.  Thank you so much if you can help!

I Jon,
    I'm very happy you like the preset!
    About the issue with the alpha channel I don't know what to say, probably the thickness of the page can be a problem. You could try with a flat page; insert it as child of the cube an hide the cube.
    If you want you can send me the file to:

• Thanks for making this rig. How can I set the start and end angle of the page filp animation? Right now it is only 180° but I want to be able to flip the pages if the cover is not 100% open.
  • Thanks for making this rig. How can I set the start and end angle of the page filp animation? Right now it is only 180° but I want to be able to flip the pages if the cover is not 100% open.
    Hi Kevin,
    at the moment it isn't possible to change the start and the end angle. It may be a new feature for a future update.
    But, if you don't need a big difference angle from 0° and 180°, you can act on the "landing" parameters to change a bit the level of the first and last pages.
  • Hopefully that will get implemented soon. Right now there is not a way to flip through the pages like a flipbook without fully opening the book 180°.
  • UPDATE: LOL, I found the answer on your website. Thanks!

Great plugin! I just purchased for my next project... Quick question. I see where I can control the bending of the spine (book or magazine)... but is there a way to give the hardback spine some curvature? (I can see it in these pictures, but I'm not seeing any controls for this?) image

• UPDATE: LOL, I found the answer on your website. Thanks!

Great plugin! I just purchased for my next project... Quick question. I see where I can control the bending of the spine (book or magazine)... but is there a way to give the hardback spine some curvature? (I can see it in these pictures, but I'm not seeing any controls for this?) 

Hi Gustaf,

as you wrote there is an answer on my website but is related to version 2.4.

The only difference concerns the image of the object manager.

Below you can see an image from the new version.

Hope it can help.

And thanks to you!

curved spine.jpg
    351 x 177 - 14K
  • Great rig! is there any way to bind an object (eg, a plane or null) to a point on one of the pages? Things are all re-arranged because of the rigging and distortions as the page turns. I am trying to connect nulls to specific places on an individual page. Any suggestions?
  • Great rig! is there any way to bind an object (eg, a plane or null) to a point on one of the pages? Things are all re-arranged because of the rigging and distortions as the page turns. I am trying to connect nulls to specific places on an individual page. Any suggestions?
    Hi Jeff, thank you, first.
    Probably you can achieve that using Constraint. A little plane on the surface of the page should work to get an approximate position, but I have to give it a try.
  • Can RealBook 3 be used in C4D Lite that comes with After Effects? The Lite version has a limited Mograph implementation, So I would like to know before purchasing, thank you.
  • Can RealBook 3 be used in C4D Lite that comes with After Effects? The Lite version has a limited Mograph implementation, So I would like to know before purchasing, thank you.
    Hi Rowan,
    you can open it but it is impossible to change parameters. You need to open it in C4D to create your animation, first.
  • Hi Gianni, is it possible to keyframe the overlap so a bunch of pages turn at once (almost together) then can I slow it down to settle on one particular page? You may be able to do this already but I can't work it out. Really sorry if this functionality is already in there but for the life of me I can't fathom it. I tried disabling 'automatic animation' and turning the pages manually with the 'turn' control but as I have a lot of pages it a bit of a time killer. Cheers! Simon.
  • Sorry Gianni! I've just found you can change the overlap to over 100%. Sorted!
  • Sorry Gianni! I've just found you can change the overlap to over 100%. Sorted!
    Hi Simon,
    yes, there is an Overlap setting for the automatic animation, but it doesn't give you the best control for that you want to do. The better result is obtained animating every single page manually. Don't forget that in this latter case you can select more pages and insert keyframes in one go.
  • Hey Gianni,

Do you know if there is a way to add some UV to pages ?

Thanks

• Hey Gianni,

Thanks

Hi Nicolas,

If you need a book with your UVs, just follow these steps:

• Change the number of pages to 1.
    • Go to the Layer Manager and make the hidden layer visible
    • Make a copy of the Cube geometry and make it child of the original Cube. Then create your own UVs.
    • Now disable the old Cube geometry.
    • Return on the Layer Manager and hide the layer again.
    • Change again the number of the pages to the value you need.
    • Finish.
    • If you want the multishader work you have to apply a new multishader material.

• Hey Gianni,

Thanks

Hi Nicolas,

If you need a book with your UVs, just follow these steps:

• Change the number of pages to 1.
    • Go to the Layer Manager and make the hidden layer visible
    • Make a copy of the Cube geometry and make it child of the original Cube. Then create your own UVs.
    • Now disable the old Cube geometry.
    • Return on the Layer Manager and hide the layer again.
    • Change again the number of the pages to the value you need.
    • Finish.
    • If you want the multishader work you have to apply a new multishader material.

Great.. many thanks Gianni !!
    So glad to find you, and this plugin.
  •  Sorry if I missed it, but is there an easy way to open the book to a specific page -- no flipping or bending, but just open the book and have a certain number of pages open with it -- I don't even need to designate a specific page, just have some open with the front cover and some stay with the back.

Wonderful rig -- getting it to do all sorts of complex things! But this one simple thing I can't figure out. Thanks!
  •  Sorry if I missed it, but is there an easy way to open the book to a specific page -- no flipping or bending, but just open the book and have a certain number of pages open with it -- I don't even need to designate a specific page, just have some open with the front cover and some stay with the back.

Wonderful rig -- getting it to do all sorts of complex things! But this one simple thing I can't figure out. Thanks!
    Hi Jeff,
    if you want to open a book in one movement to a specific page you have to disable the Automatic Animation and animating every single pagge manually. You can select all the page preceding the one concerned and animate them at the same time inserting keyframes in one go.
  • Thanks! I should've figured that out. You just saved me a bunch of time :-)
  • Thanks! I should've figured that out. You just saved me a bunch of time :-)
    ;)
  • Need help how to make the multishader work with octane, c4d. Material pages are repeating. It just shows "00" and "01" on all pages. I'm new to this.
  • Need help how to make the multishader work with octane, c4d. Material pages are repeating. It just shows "00" and "01" on all pages. I'm new to this.
    Try to follow this:
    How to use Realbook with Octane render | Gianni Lorusso
  • In Cinema 4d R2023.1.3    I can import the rig just fine.  It works just fine until I save it.  When I re open it the UI is not responsive. How do I fix this?

• In Cinema 4d R2023.1.3    I can import the rig just fine.  It works just fine until I save it.  When I re open it the UI is not responsive. How do I fix this?
    If it was an older version of C4D I would tell you "did you turn on 'Save animation for Melange' in C4D settings?".
    If you send me a saved versiuon by you I'll investigate.
  • Is there a way to upgrade the model inside of my scene from 3.2 to 3.3? Or do I need to create it all over again? 
  • Is there a way to upgrade the model inside of my scene from 3.2 to 3.3? Or do I need to create it all over again? 
    Hi Dustin!
    It should be recreated, but keep in mind that you can safely copy and paste all settings and timelines. Or if you send me your project using my email I can make for you the upgrade by pasting the new code.