BG Renderer MAX
  • +1 for the adobe max release of ae breaking bgr. looking forward to an update soon!
  • Yup, it (version 1.0.21) seems to be broken for me as well in AE 17.5.0

It starts, makes some folders and "pling" no output and thats about it. Status says "Finished"

No error message that I can see anywhere.

Hope it will be fixed soon! (and that those threadripper cores don`t get comfortable doing nothing now...)
  • The latest version of After Effects 2020 has completely bricked BGR. Have tried on multiple machines with different settings. Zero output
    Adobe After Effects 17.5 compatibility notice
    Adobe just released After Effects version 17.5, and unfortunately, it contains an issue that effectively prevents BG Renderer Max from functioning correctly: https://helpx.adobe.com/after-effects/kb/known-issues-after-effects.html#October2020Version175release

As of now, Adobe's suggested workaround would not allow you to use After Effects when rendering, which would essentially no longer allow background rendering. Because of this, we decided not to implement this workaround as Adobe has already fixed the issue in the next 17.5.1 version which is now available as a public beta.

We therefore urge you to postpone the update or upgrade to the public beta version in case your workflow depends on the BG Renderer Max. If you've already updated, you will need to either downgrade to the 17.1.4 version or upgrade to the 17.5.1 public beta build.

Beta builds are available from the “Beta apps” tab in the Creative Cloud Desktop app. Beta builds install separately and have their own user preferences. You can run them side by side with your release versions.
  • +1 for the adobe max release of ae breaking bgr. looking forward to an update soon!

Yup, it (version 1.0.21) seems to be broken for me as well in AE 17.5.0

It starts, makes some folders and "pling" no output and thats about it. Status says "Finished"

No error message that I can see anywhere.

Hope it will be fixed soon! (and that those threadripper cores don`t get comfortable doing nothing now...)
    Adobe After Effects 17.5 compatibility notice
    Adobe just released After Effects version 17.5, and unfortunately, it contains an issue that effectively prevents BG Renderer Max from functioning correctly: https://helpx.adobe.com/after-effects/kb/known-issues-after-effects.html#October2020Version175release

As of now, Adobe's suggested workaround would not allow you to use After Effects when rendering, which would essentially no longer allow background rendering. Because of this, we decided not to implement this workaround as Adobe has already fixed the issue in the next 17.5.1 version which is now available as a public beta.

We therefore urge you to postpone the update or upgrade to the public beta version in case your workflow depends on the BG Renderer Max. If you've already updated, you will need to either downgrade to the 17.1.4 version or upgrade to the 17.5.1 public beta build.

Beta builds are available from the “Beta apps” tab in the Creative Cloud Desktop app. Beta builds install separately and have their own user preferences. You can run them side by side with your release versions.
  • thanks for the update nik! i will try the beta build
  • Cheers Nik, beta is working for me like a charm for now. Thanks!
  • when will a version that works with ae 2021 be available?
  • when will a version that works with ae 2021 be available?
    Hi Chris,

We are waiting for the After Effects patch that is hopefully coming soon. That will make all previous BGR versions compatible and working. As of now, it's either downgrade to 17.1.4, or a public beta.

Thank you,
    Nik
  • Thanks Nik!, is the beta available to try out?

• Thanks Nik!, is the beta available to try out?

Sure, you can get it from the “Beta apps” tab in the Creative Cloud Desktop app. Beta builds install separately and have their own user preferences. You can run them side by side with your release versions.
  • This is working fine for me re: CC 2021

Question - is there a way to add additional renderers? 
  • Cam Vokey said:
    This is working fine for me re: CC 2021

Question - is there a way to add additional renderers? 
    Hi Cam,

What do you mean by "additional renderers"? BGR threads or output modules?

Nik
  • Great timesaving script however is there any way to get it to honour the names of the files from the render queue..

I'm wanting to render over multiple existing files - updating graphics..
    I set the name in AE render queue and say yes i do want to render over an existing file, then send to BGrendererMAX and it defaults to adding _1 on the end of the files.

Maybe have a toggle to ignore this in the settings as mine may be an unusual case...

CC2020 and osX if that matters :)

• i've tested, the pc 17.5.1 build 47 of after effects released today allows bgr to function again! 
  •  Recently I have been having trouble rendering using bg max. Every time I start it produces an error almost immediately.  Could this be bc the assets and AE file I am working from are on Dropbox (though the actual files are synced locally), despite rendering to my desktop? I am on a PC running AE 17.5.1. Here is a link to the error logs if it's helpful. Thanks!!!
  • i've tested, the pc 17.5.1 build 47 of after effects released today allows bgr to function again! 
    Hi Rik,

Indeed it does! Thanks for the comment.

Nik
  • Great timesaving script however is there any way to get it to honour the names of the files from the render queue..

I'm wanting to render over multiple existing files - updating graphics..
    I set the name in AE render queue and say yes i do want to render over an existing file, then send to BGrendererMAX and it defaults to adding _1 on the end of the files.

Maybe have a toggle to ignore this in the settings as mine may be an unusual case...

CC2020 and osX if that matters :)

Hi Ron, 

That is an unexpected behavior, I am going to investigate it.

Nik
  •  Recently I have been having trouble rendering using bg max. Every time I start it produces an error almost immediately.  Could this be bc the assets and AE file I am working from are on Dropbox (though the actual files are synced locally), despite rendering to my desktop? I am on a PC running AE 17.5.1. Here is a link to the error logs if it's helpful. Thanks!!!
    Hi Louis,

Judging by your renders, some other tool is trying to use aerender. Or it just plainly hanging out there not letting BGR to function properly.
    Could you please reset BGR (by clicking the "?" mark in the lower left corner) and then restart your machine?

Nik
  • Hi.  I am thinking this is a bug.? 

I render to "H:\_RENDER".  Whether I set it that way in my render item, or I set a custom folder, either way the items are rendered to the C Drive.  C:\_Render.

using version 1.0.21

Thanks
    -kt
  • Hi.  I am thinking this is a bug.? 

I render to "H:\_RENDER".  Whether I set it that way in my render item, or I set a custom folder, either way the items are rendered to the C Drive.  C:\_Render.

using version 1.0.21

Thanks
    -kt
    Hi Keith,

This is extremely weird. May I ask you to produce log files https://bgrenderer.com/troubleshooting#logs and send them in a support ticket?

Thank you,
    Nik
  • Hi Nik,

How is this compatible with Apple M1 chip?

Thank you
  • Hi,

I've just bought BG Renderer MAX but I can't even install it on the latest AE build (17.5.1). Are we still waiting for a patch?

Thanks.
  • Hi Nik, How is this compatible with Apple M1 chip? Thank you
    Hi Son,

It's not ben tested yet and as far as I know After Effects still doesn't support M1 without Rosetta.

Nik
  • Hi,

I've just bought BG Renderer MAX but I can't even install it on the latest AE build (17.5.1). Are we still waiting for a patch?

Thanks.
    Hi Mauro,

Please use the latest ZXP Installer from aescripts to install BGR. It does support 17.5.1.

Nik
  • Nik Ska said:
    Hi,

Thanks.
    Hi Mauro,

Please use the latest ZXP Installer from aescripts to install BGR. It does support 17.5.1.

Nik
    Hi Nik,

I am using the latest ZXP installer (1.5.53) but when I try to install BG Renderer Max it says: No application compatible with BG Renderer Max was found on your computer. Then if I click on review compatibility it shows me a list where only AE 2020 is not greyed out (but it is stroked) and it says I need to reinstall it. Again, I'm using only AE 17.5.1 on this machine.
    Any suggestions?

Thanks!

EDIT: Just for the records. I was able to finally install the plugin with the latest ZXP installer (1.5.92). It still couldn't find my AE installation but it gave me the option to install the plugin with a "direct" method so now it's all good. Not sure what's going on here, but it's working now.

Thanks.
  • Hey guys,
    your plugin saved my project more than once, thank you so much! However, there is one, maybe one and a half, issues I would like to bring up. Multiprocessing and compilation of videos afterwards is awesome and I use it all the time, since I usually create many comp shots at once. Most of the time, those are required as mp4 or prores. the problem are the given presets: prores 422hq is huge, we usually use 422LT for our cg-shots. Also the mp4 "high" with 4-20mbps is simply not good enough to use when working with clients and hd or uhd compositions.

What I would kindly ask for are two new presets added: prores422lt and mp4 40-60mbps. Would that be possible?
  • Hey guys,
    your plugin saved my project more than once, thank you so much! However, there is one, maybe one and a half, issues I would like to bring up. Multiprocessing and compilation of videos afterwards is awesome and I use it all the time, since I usually create many comp shots at once. Most of the time, those are required as mp4 or prores. the problem are the given presets: prores 422hq is huge, we usually use 422LT for our cg-shots. Also the mp4 "high" with 4-20mbps is simply not good enough to use when working with clients and hd or uhd compositions.

What I would kindly ask for are two new presets added: prores422lt and mp4 40-60mbps. Would that be possible?
    Hi Phil,

We've been thinking about the new preset system. I really like your suggestions and would add those to the next release.

Nik
  • Hi, I tested BG-Render on a short animation and all work as expected, generating the final video. Than I tried BG-Render on a Big Whale of 5 min long. It render all the frames and the audio (and really fast, fantastic!!!), but I can't find the final video, the folder is empty except for audio and .tiff files. The settings are exactly the sames from the small clip. Any suggestion? Thank you
  • hello
    I receive this error everythime try to render a h264 or prores:

thanks
    Giuseppe
  • Nik!

Question, is there an option to automatically replace existing files, at the moment BGRMAX iterates a version with a "_1", even if I specify in the render queue to do otherwise, helpful and safe for some but it would save me a lot of time.

Cheers
  • Hi, I tested BG-Render on a short animation and all work as expected, generating the final video. Than I tried BG-Render on a Big Whale of 5 min long. It render all the frames and the audio (and really fast, fantastic!!!), but I can't find the final video, the folder is empty except for audio and .tiff files. The settings are exactly the sames from the small clip. Any suggestion? Thank you
    Hi Francesco,

This is an unusual case, since one of the test compositions I have is exactly 5 minutes long. Culd you please generate log files (https://bgrenderer.com/troubleshooting#logs) and send those as a support ticket?

Nik
  • hello
    I receive this error everythime try to render a h264 or prores:

thanks
    Giuseppe
    Hi Giuseppe,

Something must be off with the path handling in BGR. 
    Please follow the troubleshooting guidelines here: https://bgrenderer.com/troubleshooting#firststeps
    After that, please do the render and send me the logs as a support ticket: https://bgrenderer.com/troubleshooting#logs

Nik
  • Nik!

Question, is there an option to automatically replace existing files, at the moment BGRMAX iterates a version with a "_1", even if I specify in the render queue to do otherwise, helpful and safe for some but it would save me a lot of time.

Cheers
    Hi Joshua,

Do you need to replace the multi-threaded render sequence, on the single-threaded .mov file? 

Nik
  • Pre-sales question. Will the single license version permit me to use the tool on 2 of my machines?
  • Pre-sales question. Will the single license version permit me to use the tool on 2 of my machines?
    Hi Craig,

Sure. Aescripts license allows just that - using any tool including BGR on up to 2 personal machines.

Nik
  • Nik Ska said:
    Hi, I tested BG-Render on a short animation and all work as expected, generating the final video. Than I tried BG-Render on a Big Whale of 5 min long. It render all the frames and the audio (and really fast, fantastic!!!), but I can't find the final video, the folder is empty except for audio and .tiff files. The settings are exactly the sames from the small clip. Any suggestion? Thank you
    Hi Francesco,

This is an unusual case, since one of the test compositions I have is exactly 5 minutes long. Culd you please generate log files (https://bgrenderer.com/troubleshooting#logs) and send those as a support ticket?

Nik
    Trial Time finished, I can't try it no more, sorry
  • For me this plugins is a big dissapointment.
    I bought it in the hope I would increase my render speed significant but its far from the truth.

Quick example:
    Project 1 renders with internal AE render engine 18 min

With BG rendering the actual rendering takes 9 min (I was really stoked about it!)
    but after the rendering the compiling starts and thats where this plugins fails imo.

I'm now on 17 minutes as we speak and the final video is nowhere to find in the export folder and the counter is still tocking (is it really still compiling?!) 
    If this is the case I get no benefits from this plugin...

Anyone else here experiences the same?
  • Hey there,
    I just bought it and my computer crashed after trying to render. It just freezes... what's going on...?
  • I think BG render Max should have ram limit and process priority to choose.
    I always have to do manually in task manager
  • I think BG render Max should have ram limit and process priority to choose.
    Hi Nguyen,

Setting RAM limit across systems is a non-trivial task, so we decided to do something different, a CPU limiter: https://bgrenderer.com/cpulimiter ;
    It limits the amount of CPU resources each thread gets and in general that makes each thread consume less RAM. In any case, latest AE versions are pretty RAM hungry, so this is something you have to account for.

Nik
  • Hey there,
    I just bought it and my computer crashed after trying to render. It just freezes... what's going on...?
    Hi Shahar,

Please follow the troubleshooting guidelines here: https://bgrenderer.com/troubleshooting#firststeps

If that doesn't help, please send me the logs: https://bgrenderer.com/troubleshooting#logs as a support ticket

Nik
  • For me this plugins is a big dissapointment.
    I bought it in the hope I would increase my render speed significant but its far from the truth.

Quick example:
    Project 1 renders with internal AE render engine 18 min

With BG rendering the actual rendering takes 9 min (I was really stoked about it!)
    but after the rendering the compiling starts and thats where this plugins fails imo.

I'm now on 17 minutes as we speak and the final video is nowhere to find in the export folder and the counter is still tocking (is it really still compiling?!) 
    If this is the case I get no benefits from this plugin...

Anyone else here experiences the same?
    Hi Ivar,

If that doesn't help, please send me the logs: https://bgrenderer.com/troubleshooting#logs as a support ticket as well as your machine configuration

Nik
  • Nik Ska said:
    I think BG render Max should have ram limit and process priority to choose.
    Hi Nguyen,

Setting RAM limit across systems is a non-trivial task, so we decided to do something different, a CPU limiter: https://bgrenderer.com/cpulimiter ;
    It limits the amount of CPU resources each thread gets and in general that makes each thread consume less RAM. In any case, latest AE versions are pretty RAM hungry, so this is something you have to account for.

Nik
    Hey thanks for pointing that out!
    I obviously missed that feature in the docs. 
    About the feature, it didnt remember the settings for next time. So it will be great to be able to set it default value from the settings
  • Can you still render multiple projects simultaneously like you can in the old version, or is it now a queued workflow where they are rendered one after the other?
  • Can you still render multiple projects simultaneously like you can in the old version, or is it now a queued workflow where they are rendered one after the other?
    Hi Scott,

You may close the active project, open a new one and add compositions from it to the BGR queue.

Nik
  • Nik Ska said:
    I think BG render Max should have ram limit and process priority to choose.
    Hi Nguyen,

Nik
    Hey thanks for pointing that out!
    I obviously missed that feature in the docs. 
    About the feature, it didnt remember the settings for next time. So it will be great to be able to set it default value from the settings
    Thanks for the great idea Nguyen!
    We are now working on a new settings system that would make it easier to keep and share project settings and would definitely consider this.

Nik
  • I am using BG Renderer 1.0.22 in AE 2019 on an iMac Pro 10-Core with an AMD Radeon 16 GB Ram GPU. Sometimes BG Renderer is really fast but with Stardust (particle generator) or Element 3D BG Renderer is sometimes slower than the AE-render engine. 

I set the render threads to 19 and see that CPU-usuage while rendering is sometimes 10-20% only. 

Is there any improvement possible?

Best
    Mike
  • Am using AE 17.6...where is the BG Renderer panel/extension? I do not see it/can't find it. Thx
  • Never mind...I found it. It had been installed in the previous version of AE that I still had on my drive. Thanks.
  • I am using BG Renderer 1.0.22 in AE 2019 on an iMac Pro 10-Core with an AMD Radeon 16 GB Ram GPU. Sometimes BG Renderer is really fast but with Stardust (particle generator) or Element 3D BG Renderer is sometimes slower than the AE-render engine. 

I set the render threads to 19 and see that CPU-usuage while rendering is sometimes 10-20% only. 

Is there any improvement possible?

Best
    Mike
    Hi Mike,

The real benchmark for how much threads your machine can effectively use is the machine RAM. We recommend no less than 8 Gb per thread for heavier work loads. When you set the threads amount to 19, even 64Gb is getting spread super thin to about 3Gb per thread. IO bottleneck is another issue when you render with a huge thread count.
    Try 2-4 threads and work your way up to find a sweet spot for your system.

Thank you,
    Nik