Obsessive Layers 2
  • A new idea for this and I have no idea if its possible. Trim layers to Canvas. So like opacity Is based on keyframes, however if the asset item is outside of the workspace ready to be animated in to view. This would be a great function to add.
  • What happened to the icon view? Do you have to use Kbar for icons now?
  • What happened to the icon view? Do you have to use Kbar for icons now?
    Many apologies! We're working on this now and will have a fix in the next week or two. 
  • Great, thanks Nol. I appreciate it.

BTW, for some reason Obsessive Layers doesn't come up when I do a search within the aescripts search. If I click on the link to Obsessive Layers from my Purchases and Downloads section it state that the page can't be found. The only way that I can find this page is by doing a search from Google. Just wanted to give you a heads up.

Kevin
  • I love Obsessive Layers, but it seems a little broken? It Obsessively always changes the out point of layers always extending both the selected and source layers and makes them off by one frame. The more I click it, the longer it gets.

Also +1 for the icons to come back. Maybe I should go back to the older version??
  • I love Obsessive Layers, but it seems a little broken? It Obsessively always changes the out point of layers always extending both the selected and source layers and makes them off by one frame. The more I click it, the longer it gets.

Also +1 for the icons to come back. Maybe I should go back to the older version??

Many apologies for the difficulties. The newest update fixes the problem you brought up, as well as having the icons back in place. Enjoy!

• A new idea for this and I have no idea if its possible. Trim layers to Canvas. So like opacity Is based on keyframes, however if the asset item is outside of the workspace ready to be animated in to view. This would be a great function to add.

Yes! We now have a feature called Trim to 2D Comp that does just what you're looking for. Available in the newest update. Thanks!
  • Nol Honig said:
    What happened to the icon view? Do you have to use Kbar for icons now?
    Many apologies! We're working on this now and will have a fix in the next week or two. 

Okay it took more like two months but the newest update restores the icons back to their rightful place. Apologies for the inconvenience Kevin! 
  • Just bought and am excited to use. Would it be possible to make the UI adaptive so that when icons are used you can make the pallette a thin vertical strip? If so would it involve utilizing AE extensions?
  • Any chance the headless scripts will be available again? I had assigned them to the numpad and F keys, and it was lightning fast (faster than KBar for me). I loved that workflow, but the old headless scripts don't work as they require an older Obsessive Layers license that isn't compatible with Catalina. 

Thanks! Love the tool. 

- Trevor
  • Hello!

I'd like to say thank you for you tool! It is very useful.

Is it possible to trim layers based on time remap keys? Seems not to work this way.

• If I animate a comp and say use 'keyframe trimmer' will it trim? 
  • It still is broken for me, at least in that it lengthens the layer of whatever I am selecting as a guide by 1 frame and then changes the modigied layer to be 1 frame off of that. I compulsively used this script before but hope it's updated?

Nol Honig said:
    I love Obsessive Layers, but it seems a little broken? It Obsessively always changes the out point of layers always extending both the selected and source layers and makes them off by one frame. The more I click it, the longer it gets.

Many apologies for the difficulties. The newest update fixes the problem you brought up, as well as having the icons back in place. Enjoy!

• There are a few options not working for me; keyframes, matte, selected, or visibility. The only one reliably working is through markers. I'm working in AE 2020, and have tried uninstalling and reinstalling. 
  • Same here as others mentioned - trimming to keyframes, matte etc is not working 100%. Sometimes it trims layers to required point. Sometimes it does not. And it does not happen all the time. For example it is ok trimming to keyframes on newly created shape layers, but not on comps. 

I'm using Mac OS 10.15.7, AE 2020 (v17.1.4). 
    Is this something that may be possible to add? Still a year on and I find it would be incredibly useful. Using some tools mean key frames need to start before an object is on screen. This function would help with render time because its based on layers within a frame, so trimming to canvas would help on complex animations.
  • Do you think we'll be able to assign keyboard shortcuts to this in the future? I'd love to use a hotkey in order to trim the layers to keyframes even faster.
  • Can someone help explain the Kbar argument process.

If I want to create a button to trim-both (both in and out) and trim-keyframes (ie in and out points to the keyframes).......how do you put that into one button?

I tried just putting the two arguments into the Kbar argument field but I get errors.

Thanks!
  • Got it - you need separate buttons- sequentially clicked!
  • Such a great script - one feature request - icons in column layout, so I can have it to the left of my timeline window, a little slither taking up very little space.

Massive time saver, thanks :D
  • I'm having infrequent issues with the Trim to Keyframes feature. Sometimes it simply will not trim the out-points of layers to keyframes and I'm not sure why. 

I tried removing any expressions on those keyframed properties, removed the parent, no success. It is able to trim the in-point of those same layers though.
  • Would be cool if there was a icon based UI as an alternative. Cool tool though!
  • Hi!

Can you please check the code to make sure this plugin works with CC2021 / AE 18.4 please. Sometimes it works, sometimes it does not.

From what I can tell, it works 100% on shape layers - keyframes, mattes etc. If I try to trim any other layer, nothing happens, for example preComps or audio files. 

Thanks!
  • Suggestion for improvement. For Trim Keyframe have an alt click of shift or whatever click to add a frame to the trim to out keyframes. This is a pain since once this is done the end of the animation is no longer visible. Why it's a pain: 1). If I need to change the end keyframe I can no longer see the layer and motion paths disappear so I need to add a frame in order to see where my objects and paths are 2). Hitting O to jump to the end of the layer now jumps right before the last keyframe, and then you have to nudge your timeline over a frame to get to that keyframe. Any adding an additional keyframe to this function would eliminate these two issues. Thank you and keep up the good work!
  • There is a small typo in the "Kbar arguments" documentation. For some arguments, a space is left at the end of the line, and when the text is thoughtlessly selected in a PDF document, this space is also highlighted, but visually, it is not visible. Subsequent copying and pasting of the argument carries this space as well. As a result, your script at startup receives an incorrect argument with a space at the end and the Kbar gives an error
  • To whom it may concern,

I just bought Obsessive Layers 2.0, and forgot to look at COMPATIBILITY section. I'm using After Effects 2022, and Obsessive Layers makes AfterEffects stalling.

Any plans of updating so it's running on present editions of After Effects?

Regards
    Michael
  • To whom it may concern,

I just bought Obsessive Layers 2.0, and forgot to look at COMPATIBILITY section. I'm using After Effects 2022, and Obsessive Layers makes AfterEffects stalling.

Any plans of updating so it's running on present editions of After Effects?

Regards
    Michael

if you are using macOS Monterey please see this faq: https://aescripts.com/knowledgebase/index/view/faq/scripts-crashing-in-macos-monterey/
  • hi, really like Obsessive Layers! I was recently thinking several times about asking for smaller icons and a horizontal layout option. 
    Now the update comes with even bigger icons (2-3 the size) and now we have the biggest button in after effects (trim layers to matte). 
    So this would be great to have more flexibility there in the future! cheers
  • Hey, I'm using my purchased license but it says it's a trial. 
    How do I fix this?
  • Trying to get this to work on 3D layers but can't seem to get it to do anything. Does this not work on 3D layers? 
  • Hello. Will you add a 2023 support for the new released Adobe products?

Thank you.
  • Why doesn't this work with precomps? It only works with layers, but needs to have the ability to trim comps and precomps as well. Seems silly it doesn't have that capability. 
  • does this not work with 2023 yet? it does not work with trimming to the new matte feature at the moment. very frustrating. 

version 23.1.0
  • After every re-launch of AE, this script gives me an error and asks for my registration code. Is this normal? Anyone else having this issue?
  • Elcy Rizk said:
    After every re-launch of AE, this script gives me an error and asks for my registration code. Is this normal? Anyone else having this issue?

no, Please open a support ticket for assistance: https://aescripts.com/contact/?direct=1