• Hi James. Not that I can remember this happening before. Could you please file a bug ticket (https://aescripts.com/contact/?direct=1) and attach an example AE project with this bug to it?
    Also please describe your Mac's hardware config. Thanks in advance!

• I am interested in this product - but is it compatible with AE / PPro 2020 yet? If not, will it be?

Thanks!
  • Hi Rune.
    It is!
    In either case you can download and install the demo - it's fully functional and you can purchase it later, if you like it.
    I am interested in this product - but is it compatible with AE / PPro 2020 yet? If not, will it be?

Thanks!

• Thanks, Ivan. I'll be getting it shortly. :)
  • Would it be possible to add a way to manually set the palette index, as well as saving and loading custom palettes?
  • It would be possible indeed, but after considering it several times we've dropped the idea of building it into the plugin, since we couldn't find the the way to make is user friendly enough, and on the other hand both current hosts (AE and Premiere) offering whole bunch of color modification tools - from LUTs to color wheels - to make any color modifications you would imagine.

So it is still totally possible to choose any fixed color palette in RD and then transform it the way you want.

That said, we would be happy to hear suggestions of how such custom palette should be implemented exactly. Please feel free to share your thoughts.
  • Sure. I imagine it would create an array of all the currently used "adaptive" colors in a grid of swatches. Clicking a swatch would bring up the default color picker. The image would be re-adapted to use the customized palette. Palettes could be saved as ASE file type, so they could be shared with other Adobe products. For bonus points, you could also add a phase shift controller, so we can do retro-palette shifting animations. Here's a mockup: https://imgur.com/a/cQ9jhyJ

While it's certainly possible to key and change individual colors in the final result, the advantage of customizing the palette would be that the image would be re-adapted to the new palette. This would avoid the inevitable weird auto-adapted color sneaking into the image. Also, we could make sure that our brand-approved palettes are being used.

• I would love to see a noise pattern, like it exists in Photoshop. I recreated it as a preset using built in effects, but this way it only can be applied to precomps or footage, not as part of an effect stack.
    (my preset uses fractal noise as noise and two instances of CC_composite)
  • HI Marc.
    I guess this would be different kind of effect than Retrodither users expect.
    However, I think this kind of the effect could be implemented as a new plugin, if nobody did it yet (I honestly thought someone did, as I see such an effect here and there in motion design sometimes=)
  • I used another Ditherplugin before (one from Josh Nimoy) and it uses this noise pattern, which as mentioned can also be found as dithering method on Photoshop. But unfortunately this plugin is incredibly slow, even if the effect is really fast if you apply it like I did (or turn a layer with alpha in dissolve blend mode). I thought maybe it's easy to add as dithering mode, since I couldn't found another plugin, which is capable of doing it, but than it seems I need to find another way. But thank you Ivan.
  • Marc, well what I meant is that Retrodither was supposed to be a retro look effect first, not 'all kinds of dither' effect.
    If we would design it like 'dithering swiss knife' from scratch, we would most probably add more and other modern algorithms of dithering, there are plenty of.
    So we could think about extra features, but not sure if it's possible to pack it into single effect.

Also, what 'photoshop method' do you mean? Is  that the 'noise' in 'save for web' routine?
  • Ok, now I got what you meant. Thank you for explaining.

Yea exactly, the one in "save for web" among the bayer 8x8. 
  • is this plugin not available for AE 2020? Getting all sorts of issues and it's not even showing up. Please advise. I'm on a iMac 2020.
  • It seems that there's an issue with the effect. A purple x appear everytime I put the effect on a sequence, also it can make random glitches like this. It seems to be the same that James Houston noticed. It there any way to fix it ? I use the effect on After Effect and Premiere Pro 20.image
  •  I got the same problem on After Effect  CC 2015. 
  • Hi Berger.
    I assume you've got your product registered properly, right?
    Could I ask you to purge your temporary data (Edit > Purge > All Memory & Disk Cache), and if that won't help, could you please file a bug ticket with the example project and your hardware configuration.
  • This is weird, my Retrodither works on my PC but not my MAC, both are updated to the latest AE 2020.
  • Hi Hans! Sorry to hear that.
    I would be super grateful if you would file a bug ticket with description of your Mac config/repro case aep. Unfortunately I haven't been able to get  working repro case myself (EG we have couple comments here that sound about the same, but these didn't end up with a bug ticket I could try to reproduce and work on - so I'm not even sure if it's still a problem or was a content glitch).
  • Can't for the life of me get this to work. It won't install and crashes AE everytime saying that RetroDither can't be installed. Install it through my plugins but everytime I go to open AE it says it can't continue until the file "RetroDither.plugin" is moved to trash. I move it. Or don't. Either way it crashes. 
  • I've now installed the plugin but every time I go to use it I get "25::3 After Effects error Invalid Filter".

Using it on After Effects CC 2020.
  • Hi Alex. Sorry for that. Could you try if this filter would work with AE CC 2019 on your machine?
    Also, please file a bug ticket so we could follow up with your case.
  • I don't know why or how but I opened up AE and it was working fine. I didn't even need to register the license. 
  • Getting a crash every time with the lastest updates of Mac OS 11.0.1 and AE 17.5.1
  • Hi. It is not working on Catalina because Apple cannot tell if it is malware. Please do fix this.
    Thank you!
  • OK.
    People with problems on MacOS Catalina - please install RetroDither via AEScripts launcher.
    Guess that is the easiest installation procedure we can offer. =)
  • Hello,
    I am changing PCs and want to remove the license from the old one and put it in the new one - for some reason I can't deactivate the license though.
    On all the other plugins I have, all I need to do is to click "register" again and deactivate it.
    When I press Register on this plugin it doesn't do anything. Could I get some help here? :D 
  • Can you please update for Big Sur and AE 2021 / I will even repurchase. Plugin linked to Track Camera errors "Unable to Obtain dynamiclink project"
  • Hmm. I don't recall having anything that would behave differently under Big Sur, esp the way you describe.
    Olney, could you please file a bug ticket and attach problematic aep example to it?
  • I'd love to use this script if only it were possible to either 1) specify my own palette, or 2) prevent the adaptive palettes from changing all the time. As is, it's just not workable for the scenarios I'd love to use it in. It's incredibly jarring for the color palette to flip out every time there's a change in the shot. Is it possible to implement such a change?
  • Hey Josh!
    But you're basically describing that you want to skip particular plugin functionality, aren't you?
    If you want your own palette, and not the predefined one, couldn't you set up your colors with all the power of AE color correction and then pass such  toned picture to RD? Adaptive palette should pick it up just fine then, as far as I understand your case.
    Would such chain work for you? Your image->CC Pentone or whatever other way to set up colors->RD in adaptive palette mode.
  • Hello, I have been a long time fan and user of this plugin.
    I was wondering if any work was being put into developing an Apple Silicon compatible version.

Thank you very much.
  • Any chance of an M1 version? Thank you! :D
  • Any chance of an M1 version? Thank you! :D
    I second this request, especially given how with the imminent release of the Apple Silicon Mac Pro, pretty much all professional Apple computers will run on Apple Silicon, and having plugins only working on obsolete computers would be a poor development choice. That said, given how most recent comments weren't addressed in this thread, I'm afraid development has died for this plugin.
  • Are you guys saying the plugin doesn't work on your m1 machines or what? It is supposed to work just fine on m1. If it doesn't, please file a bug ticket with your system config - we will look into it indeed!
  • Are you guys saying the plugin doesn't work on your m1 machines or what? It is supposed to work just fine on m1. If it doesn't, please file a bug ticket with your system config - we will look into it indeed!
    Just tested it in the latest AE M1 Native release of AE (22.3) and the plugin doesn't show up in after effects (therefore making it unusable), despite being correctly installed (I checked myself). M1 Ultra 48-Core 128GB Ram. Cheers, Filippo.
    As you can see from this picture, the plugin is not compatible with apple silicon.
    Scripts work natively, but plugin files have to be recompiled to be working with Apple Silicon.
    Most of the plugins on the AeScripts market have been updated.

As you can see from this picture, the plugin is not compatible with apple silicon.
    Scripts work natively, but plugin files have to be recompiled to be working with Apple Silicon.
    Most of the plugins on the AeScripts market have been updated.

Hello, Ivan.
    Would it be possible to receive a comment on this?

I'm only asking so that if you don't plan to make the plugin apple silicon compatible, I'll be able to search for an other tool, as I need the effect for a project I'll be working on in May.
    Thank you.

Cheers,
    Filippo.
  • @Filippo Ah! Ok i see, i missed the fact that Adobe released a public build of v22 and switched back to betas.

Thanks a lot for your clarification!!

If there is non-beta native apple silicon AE, we'll push the update.
    Can't give you exact schedule, but shouldn't be too long. Please feel free to request the refund, if you bought the plugin expecting existing native mode. (We do provide fully functional demos for such cases though!)

PS Is that the list of the plugins that just don't have native versions as well? That's quite a lot! Are you that certain to ditch the Rosetta mode? Does it give you any noticeable slowdown?

• @Filippo Ah! Ok i see, i missed the fact that Adobe released a public build of v22 and switched back to betas.

Can't give you exact schedule, but shouldn't be too long. Please feel free to request the refund, if you bought the plugin expecting existing native mode. (We do provide fully functional demos for such cases though!)

PS Is that the list of the plugins that just don't have native versions as well? That's quite a lot! Are you that certain to ditch the Rosetta mode? Does it give you any noticeable slowdown?

Don't worry, Ivan. I bought the plugin years ago; I'll wait for the update. I'm just glad this is being looked into. Cheers. The other plugins by the way will soon be updated by red giant and all my other tools have been made available for native apple silicon use. The rosetta mode is borderline unusable, there's currently no reason to use it on apple silicon, given how 22.3 is now native.

Hello, Ivan.
    Is there any news with regards to the development of an Apple Silicon native version?
    Thank you.
  • Yes - we have even rolled out some other plugin builds, but regarding RD specifically, we have features that need extra care on a new architecture, working on that.
  • Yes - we have even rolled out some other plugin builds, but regarding RD specifically, we have features that need extra care on a new architecture, working on that.
    Thanks for having let me know.
    Cheers
  • Used it a lot on a project and I found a weird behaviour. When you apply it to a video or directly on a precomp with some kind of downscale the edges are quite stable and look nice. When yoy apply retrodither to the same content but using an adjustment layer, the edges flicker A LOT and it makes it almost unbearable.
  • Any news on an Apple Silicon version of RetroDither? 
  • Any news on an Apple Silicon version of RetroDither? 

I second this request.
  • OK, We're almost there, friends. Remained problem on M1 is solved now. Plus, we're going to announce very cool new feature! I find it very fun to play with personally.
  • Done! Check and, BTW - enjoy custom palettes - the feature many of you've been asking for quite a while!
  • Hey, just wanted to let u guys know that the demo version of this plugin was constantly crashing on my M1 Max MBP. Bought the plugin anyways and it works flawlessly so far so it must have been because of the demo version. Maybe this will help somebody. Cheers. 
  • Bought this plugin 3 days ago, and when trying to render a .mov with RetroDither effect it does not render with it, AE just render the actual composition but without the plugin effect in it, anyone else with this issue?
    I'm using AE 2020 with an M1 MacBook.
  • DESPERATELY need this (or something similar) for photoshop! My current solution using G'MIC is janky and has inferior dithering patterns!