TextExploder V2
  • Love it. Wish there was an option to "Center Anchor Point in Layer Content" within the TextExploder Dialog Box. Plugin works great though, speeds things up immensely. 
  • Thanks for the feedback! Will add this to my list of feature requests.

Neon Pig said:
    Love it. Wish there was an option to "Center Anchor Point in Layer Content" within the TextExploder Dialog Box. Plugin works great though, speeds things up immensely. 

• Does this new version support per line leading? To be clear, if I set a leading value for 2 lines of text, but leave the leading (or tracking for that matter) alone on other lines, once I run the script, all that customization is lost. Same goes with different fonts within the same text string.
  • Hi Jason,
    no, a general limitation of the Ae scripting API is unfortunately, that scripts cannot access any customizations (leading, color, font, ...) of individual letters or lines.
    I would love to support this, but as long as Adobe does not extend their scripting API to give scripts access to this information, there is nothing I can do about this, unfortunately.

Cheers,
    Mathias

Does this new version support per line leading? To be clear, if I set a leading value for 2 lines of text, but leave the leading (or tracking for that matter) alone on other lines, once I run the script, all that customization is lost. Same goes with different fonts within the same text string.

• Hi,

Looks like the new version of AE (16.1) breaks this script. I'm getting the following error ""Unable to execute script at line 12. Function c.setDate is undefined" "
  • No, it is now the new Ae that is breaking the script, it is another script or extension you have running on your system that breaks the scripting engine of Ae. Do you happen to have Lazy 2 installed? This extensions does exactly that - I've informed the author and hope they will publish a fix soon.

If you have Lazy 2:
    Close Lazy 2, restart Ae, then TextExploder should start as usual. Please open a support ticket for Lazy 2 and ask the author to fix this behavior.

If you no not have Lazy 2:
    Close all scripts and extension panels you have open in Ae and restart Ae, then TextExploder should start without issues. Now launch all your extensions and scripts one by one and after each one test if TextExploder still starts properly. If it does not, you know that the script youo just launched is the bad guy who is breaking your scripting engine. Please contact the author of this script and ask him to fix it. If he does not understand the issue, please ask him to contact me.

Hi,

Looks like the new version of AE (16.1) breaks this script. I'm getting the following error ""Unable to execute script at line 12. Function c.setDate is undefined" "

• Hi,

Hey Joao,

Sorry for the inconvience! We just pushed an update that will fix this issue.

Cheers,

Danny
  • Hi Team,

in a multiline paragraph, the script doesnt isolate the last line. Can you help with this? Thanks

Paul
  • Hi Paul,

I've seen that you also just created a support ticket about this issue. I need to know some more details to understand and reproduce the issue. I asked for those in the support ticket, so let's discuss the details there.

Cheers,
    Mathias

Hi Team,

in a multiline paragraph, the script doesnt isolate the last line. Can you help with this? Thanks

Paul

• It doesn't seem to work with vertical text. Is there an option I have missed?
  • Hi Nicolai,

yes, you are right, this is a limitation. Thank you for pointing me to this - I will add it do the product description.
    Unfortunately, the scripting interface of After Effects does not provide any infos if a text is a vertical text or a normal, horizontal text. Therefore, I think it is not possible to support vertical text easily, but I will put it on my list of feature requests and check if I can still come up with a solution.

Cheers,
    Mathias
  • Do you've any tips for speeding this up? 

I usually import a song worth of text into a text layer thing use text exploder to get each individual word out. 

After updating i've noticed the process has slowed to a crawl, it seperates a word every roughly 5 seconds and I get spinning balls, which is not ideal. 

If I process around 20 words instead of 200, it spits out a word every second; Are there other settings on the text layer potentially contributing or is just the nature of the script? 

The text layer is new, with no effects etc. 
  • If you have huge texts, TextExpploder slows down, because for each split it needs to look at this huge text layer. A good strategy to avoid this is to
    1) select the text layer and split it into lines and then
    2) select all the text layers of the individual lines and split them into words
    That way, during the splitting in into individual words the tool can work with much smaller texts and is hence faster. Step 1) will still be slow (still needs to look at the huge text) but in total it will still be much faster.

If you need to split into individual characters, you could also do a 3 step process (first split into lines, then into words and then into characters).
    Do you've any tips for speeding this up? 

I usually import a song worth of text into a text layer thing use text exploder to get each individual word out. 

After updating i've noticed the process has slowed to a crawl, it seperates a word every roughly 5 seconds and I get spinning balls, which is not ideal. 

If I process around 20 words instead of 200, it spits out a word every second; Are there other settings on the text layer potentially contributing or is just the nature of the script? 

The text layer is new, with no effects etc. 

• Hi ,
    I am trying to use this in my own script , is it possible to call this script from another script , like is there a function to call where I can call the function to split text to works or characters ?

Please let me know if its possivle so I can rely on this and buy this script
  • Yes, TextExploder offers and API that allow other scripts to remote-execute it.
    See documentation here

Remote-execution works with the normal licenses, so as long as a TextExploder license is installed on the machine, other texts can use TextExploder, too.

Hi ,
    I am trying to use this in my own script , is it possible to call this script from another script , like is there a function to call where I can call the function to split text to works or characters ?

Please let me know if its possivle so I can rely on this and buy this script

• Hello,
    Text exploder does not work under CC2020?
    I'm on Mac Os Catalina ...
    Thank you for your return,
    Vincent
  • TextExploder works with Catalina. Make sure you have the most recent version 2.0.004 of TextExploder. If it still does not work, please open a support ticket at
    https://aescripts.com/contact/
    and include a screenshot of the error message you get.

Hello,
    Text exploder does not work under CC2020?
    I'm on Mac Os Catalina ...
    Thank you for your return,
    Vincent

• Is TextExploderv2 supposed to explode all the text to zero/zero position?
    Is there a setting where it will explode the text and leave it in the same position?
    mac Os 10.14.6
    Using version 2.0.004
    Thanks!
  • In general, TextExplider does not set the layer position to (0,0). It sets it wherever it needs to be for each letter (or word or whatever you explode to) such that it stays perfectly in place.

Is TextExploderv2 supposed to explode all the text to zero/zero position?
    Is there a setting where it will explode the text and leave it in the same position?
    mac Os 10.14.6
    Using version 2.0.004
    Thanks!

• Amazing script !!!!
    Would be very cool if the script worked with JUSTIFY paragraph. I really need that.

• Thank you for the feedback, Henri! :-)  We try to support as much as possible, but "justify" text has some very tough challenges for the methods we use to determine the location of the individual letters.

Amazing script !!!!
    Would be very cool if the script worked with JUSTIFY paragraph. I really need that.

• Dig this, but wish there was a way to have your main text/sentence animated, "Explode to words" and each word had the keyframes to easily offset animations. Decompose Text does this, but doesn't break the text as nice.
  • That's a great feature request, Chris. I put it on my list of ideas for future updates.

Chris Tew said:
    Dig this, but wish there was a way to have your main text/sentence animated, "Explode to words" and each word had the keyframes to easily offset animations. Decompose Text does this, but doesn't break the text as nice.

• not compatible with after effects 2021 yet.
  • Hi Chad,

what exactly does not work for you?
    I just did some test with the current After Effects Beta 18.0.0 (Build 21) and TextExploder V2 worked well with it.

Best open a support ticket at
    https://aescripts.com/contact/
    and describe the issue as detailed as possible (best with screenshots and/or a sample aep attached)

not compatible with after effects 2021 yet.

• For some odd reason when I explode a left justified bullet list of text by line, TextExploder converts all those lines to center justified. I'm on the latest version of TextExploder in AE 2021. The text started out as paragraph text and then I converted it to point text, but was always left justified.
  • Hi Jason,

that sounds really strange. Are you able to send me a project file (no footage needed).
    Best attach it to a support ticket (which you can open at https://aescripts.com/contact/)

For some odd reason when I explode a left justified bullet list of text by line, TextExploder converts all those lines to center justified. I'm on the latest version of TextExploder in AE 2021. The text started out as paragraph text and then I converted it to point text, but was always left justified.

• Does it work on AE CC 2021? AE crashes whenever I split 3 or more lines or words 
    Will there be an update soon for the script? 
  • I just tried it - also with very large texts - on the most recent After Effects beta and it works stable for me. If Ae crashes, it is most likely a bug in Ae itself, so you should definitely report this to the Ae team.

Does it work on AE CC 2021? AE crashes whenever I split 3 or more lines or words 
    Will there be an update soon for the script? 

• TextExploder works fine with AE 2022
  • Yes, TextExploder is fully compatible with Ae 2022

TextExploder works fine with AE 2022

• This makes AE 2020, 2021 and 2022 completely freeze! Any help? 
  • Hi Brad,
    this sounds like you have the issue described here
    https://aescripts.com/knowledgebase/index/view/faq/scripts-crashing-in-macos-monterey/

If this is not your issue, please open a support ticket and describe the issue as detailed as possible:
    - When does the issue occur (when you try to launch the script or when you click a particular button in the script, for example)?
    - What OS are you using?
    - best include some screenshots which show the issue

Brad Low said:
    This makes AE 2020, 2021 and 2022 completely freeze! Any help? 

• I have a paragraph of bullet points in which under Paragraph Panel > 'Add space after paragraph' is not zero. But when using textexploder to split into lines, it applies the 1st line's leading value to the rest of the lines, such that the lines no longer maintain the original vertical position. Any fix?
  • Hi Ewan,

scripts don't have access to formatting of individual sections of a text, unfortunately. If you want TextExploder to support these things in future versions, please vote for this feature request to encourage the Ae team to implement the necessary functionality:
    Ewan Tien said:
    I have a paragraph of bullet points in which under Paragraph Panel > 'Add space after paragraph' is not zero. But when using textexploder to split into lines, it applies the 1st line's leading value to the rest of the lines, such that the lines no longer maintain the original vertical position. Any fix?

• Hey, love this script. For some reason, it got alot slower when breaking the text in the last version( or 2). Takes at least a whole minute to break 2 lines of text. Any insight? Thanks ( I'm on Catalina, AE 2021)
  • This is quite slow when converting more text. I converted paragraph to words (52) it look 45 seconds and decompose text which is free scipt takes only 10 sec for the same task
  • Hi Mayank,

DecomposeText is faster, because it just applies an expression, which hides the unwanted letters (sets their opacity to 0) but keeps the full text on all layers. This is faster, but has unwanted sice effects - like the bounding box of all layers being the full text, no easy way to edit the text, slower rendering etc.
    In contrast to that TextExploder needs to measure the size of all letters, which takes some time. But the result are clean and accurately placed text layers with no expressions or other side effects.

This is quite slow when converting more text. I converted paragraph to words (52) it look 45 seconds and decompose text which is free scipt takes only 10 sec for the same task

• Is there an option to join words together after exploding them? For example I have a paragraph of names. First and last names. I would like to explode them all but then I want to join the first and last names for each person.
  • There is no such option, but you can use regular expressions to split at every second word, for example. Just use as regular expression
    \S+\s+\S+
    The \S+ means "one or more letters which are not whitespace" and the \s+ means "one or more letters which are whitespace (space, linebreak,...)
    Hence, the full pattern \S+\s+\S+ matches exactly two words (like first name & last name) separated by arbitrary whitespace.

You can test your regular expressions with this website:
    https://regex101.com/r/o3bkcG/1
    Is there an option to join words together after exploding them? For example I have a paragraph of names. First and last names. I would like to explode them all but then I want to join the first and last names for each person.

• When I explode a line of text that has multiple font sizes via the character panel, it does not respect those sizes once broken. They are all the same size. 
  • Hi Justin,

Unfortunately, the Ae scripting engine does not give scripts access to the formatting of individual letters. Hence, scripts have no way to figure out if a text contains different colors, fonts etc. The only workaround you have at the moment is to use multiple text layers (one layer for each differently formatted text).

See also section "Limitations" on the poroduct page.

When I explode a line of text that has multiple font sizes via the character panel, it does not respect those sizes once broken. They are all the same size. 

• I like the script, but the window regularly appears mostly offscreen, making it difficult/impossible to use. Any way you could fix this?
  • Hi Damien,

the handling of the Windows is done by Ae itself. You should be able to drag & drop the TextExploder panel anywhere in your Ae window to dock it there. When you open it the next time, it should appear at the same docked location.

I like the script, but the window regularly appears mostly offscreen, making it difficult/impossible to use. Any way you could fix this?

• Argh I wish I discovered this YEARS ago! Thanks so much!!
  • Why it asks for License, almost every day?
  • It should only ask for the license once.
    Did you make sure to install the most recent version (2.0.006) of TextExploder?

Why it asks for License, almost every day?

• If you still have the issue, could you please open a support ticket at
    Then the developers of the licensing system can help you directly.
    Why it asks for License, almost every day?

• Why it asks for License, almost every day?
    Please make sure that you dont have any firewalls, virus blockers, etc interfering with the license file. If the license file is tampered with it will return an invalid license and you will be prompted to re-enter your license.

• Hi Mathias,

The script has one major flaw and it's making things way harder for me. I hope you can fix it.

When I explode a text that has different formats/font sizes in the same layer, the script automatically convert all the results to the first format of the text. Meaning that if the first line was Bold with 60pt and the second line was thin with 40 pt, I get two layers that are bold with 60pt.

This makes the script useless cuz I have to re set everything back manually to the original way they were and set the positions correctly and the font proprieties.

Also I have a suggestion that I would to propose:
    For now, the script does not copy key frames of the original layer to the resulted layers and it just parents them to preserve the animation. If you can support the transfer of the basic transforms then that would be great! Position, scale, rotation, opacity and anchor point. It would make things such a breeze!

Thanks for your great work on this and looking forward to hearing from you!