• This is GREAT! Thank-you so much for creating this useful script.  I have been cobbling together scrappy scripts to do this for years to do just this.

One thing that would make this even more useful for motion graphics artists would be to allow for indexing a series of layers.

As an example, say I have 10 red triangles and 10 yellow triangles that I would like to index from 01-10. I would be great if could select the 10 yellow triangles, choose my starting index (01), choose my increment (+1), and choose my name (Yellow_Triangle). Fast Renamer would then allow me to add an index number to the prefix or suffix. I could then select the red triangles and do the same with them.

This functionality would save a TON of time for artists. I recently had a project with hundreds of small elements that I was effecting with a shader effector expression. Each type of object and each index had a different effector setting. I had to use a complex series of scripts to rename the layers, then index them. Once it was done, it made my project a breeze to work with, but it was a real pain to do so.

It would be amazing to automate this function with your lovely script.
  • Hi there!

No trial for this? It does look amazing, but from what I can perceive without actually buying it is that may be too character oriented for people that don't work with rigging.

Any comment or clarification would be great, thanks!!
  • Does it have the ability to search and replace sections of a layer's label? Say I had a PSD with an arbitrary project number in the name, could I select layers and replace them with a new project number?
  • This is GREAT! Thank-you so much for creating this useful script.  I have been cobbling together scrappy scripts to do this for years to do just this.

One thing that would make this even more useful for motion graphics artists would be to allow for indexing a series of layers.

As an example, say I have 10 red triangles and 10 yellow triangles that I would like to index from 01-10. I would be great if could select the 10 yellow triangles, choose my starting index (01), choose my increment (+1), and choose my name (Yellow_Triangle). Fast Renamer would then allow me to add an index number to the prefix or suffix. I could then select the red triangles and do the same with them.

This functionality would save a TON of time for artists. I recently had a project with hundreds of small elements that I was effecting with a shader effector expression. Each type of object and each index had a different effector setting. I had to use a complex series of scripts to rename the layers, then index them. Once it was done, it made my project a breeze to work with, but it was a real pain to do so.

Thanks Justin for your feedback.

I will work to give more customization to the name iteration system. This will probably come in the next version.
  • Does it have the ability to search and replace sections of a layer's label? Say I had a PSD with an arbitrary project number in the name, could I select layers and replace them with a new project number?
    Hello Scott,

The extension does not have this functionality at the moment.
  • Hi there!

No trial for this? It does look amazing, but from what I can perceive without actually buying it is that may be too character oriented for people that don't work with rigging.

Any comment or clarification would be great, thanks!!
    Hi Miguel,

I just uploaded the trial version.
    The tool is very useful for characters because layers that really need to be named correctly and it can take time with all different names.

But the extension can be used in many other contexts. For example, a list can be accessed for drawing, in order to rename the layers of shadows, lights, sketch...

Custom lists are then used to the specific needs of each project.
    For example I recently had to play a game of chess. To quickly rename the pieces, I created a list with the 5 pieces, and in a few clicks everything was correctly named.

If you think that the extension deserves to have new lists added by default do not hesitate to suggest me for the next versions!
  • Just discovered that theres no support for the latest versions of the Adobe products. Will they ever be compatible? i am forced to use the latest versions because of some of its functionality.
  • Just discovered that theres no support for the latest versions of the Adobe products. Will they ever be compatible? i am forced to use the latest versions because of some of its functionality.
    Hi !
    It works very well on the latest versions of Adobe, no worries.
  • After install in Photoshop (2021) it tells me i'm running version 1.0.0 and there is an update. Peculiar since I paid, downloaded and installed v1.3. How is that happening?

Edit: same goes for AE (2020)
  • After install in Photoshop (2021) it tells me i'm running version 1.0.0 and there is an update. Peculiar since I paid, downloaded and installed v1.3. How is that happening?

it's a little bug, don't worry you have the right version. There will be a fix soon.

it's a little bug, don't worry you have the right version. There will be a fix soon.
    Quick response, I like that very much! Thank you for your clear answer! ;)
  • is there a way to rename your preset list "Body". I like the character way of displaying the animation-party (bones).. where in OS X can I find this file..?
  • is there a way to rename your preset list "Body". I like the character way of displaying the animation-party (bones).. where in OS X can I find this file..?
    Hi, at the moment there is no way to rename the default lists.

What changes would you like to make?
    Hi, at the moment there is no way to rename the default lists.

damn. just little ones. I write all my assets  like: char1_arm1_upper_hand, char1_leg1_foot and so on... I use Duik as well, know its different with thingh etc but I try to use universell for all characters as I my have different situations.
    I am ok with manipulation of a json file or so... :-)

What changes would you like to make?

• damn. just little ones. I write all my assets  like: char1_arm1_upper_hand, char1_leg1_foot and so on... I use Duik as well, know its different with thingh etc but I try to use universell for all characters as I my have different situations.
    Sorry, the default lists are not saved to a .json file at this time.

For now I can encourage you to create a list with text buttons. You can share it with me so that I can watch it for future updates.

The next version of Duik should bring an even more interesting workflow for the character rig. And I'm waiting for it to come out to add a default list specially designed to work with Duik workflow.
  • damn. just little ones. I write all my assets  like: char1_arm1_upper_hand, char1_leg1_foot and so on... I use Duik as well, know its different with thingh etc but I try to use universell for all characters as I my have different situations.

For now I can encourage you to create a list with text buttons. You can share it with me so that I can watch it for future updates.

The next version of Duik should bring an even more interesting workflow for the character rig. And I'm waiting for it to come out to add a default list specially designed to work with Duik workflow.
    in the parameters you can also change the suffix of the sides (Left, Right) to 1 and 2

in the parameters you can also change the suffix of the sides (Left, Right) to 1 and 2
    Okidoki. thx for the fast response. really helpful extension. Working all day with photoshop and renaming layers for animation...this is awesome. continue the good work :-)

• Thanks Justin for your feedback. I will work to give more customization to the name iteration system. This will probably come in the next version.
    AMAZING. I can't wait. Today I am indexing about 60 layers...I dream of a better way :-) Thanks for your response.

Hi,

It's finally possible! The new version is online!
  • Is it possible for the user to create their own images for the buttons like the default menus?
  • Is it possible for the user to create their own images for the buttons like the default menus?
    Hi Kevin,
    This is not possible for now. But I'm working on it for another update.
  • This is great thank you!

2 feature requests in After Effects (if possible):

1. Currently you need to edit a list and then save it to have a word ready to use when renaming the layer. It would be great if you could have this workflow too: 

Select layers > Type any word into a box > Click button to rename layers. 

Thus, cutting out the requirement of editing and saving to a list everytime you need to use a name.

2. Maybe outside the scope, but would be amazing to have "color buttons". So when you rename the layers, you can also change their layer/label colors to the same color with another click.

Thanks!
  • I have just done AE's latest update and now this isn't working. Any ideas?

The plugin is working fine to me and I haven't had any feedback from other users.

Can you tell me more about this problem?
    Can the extension start? Does it work on illustrator and photoshop?
    The plugin is working fine to me and I haven't had any feedback from other users.

I updated my AE and when I opened it, the UI of Fast Renamer was jumping wildly whenever I tried to highlight a button.

So I closed AE and uninstalled and reinstalled Fast Renamer. Now it doesn't appear in AE at all. I've tried the aescripts + aeplugins  Manager, I've tried ZXP installer. I've tried a custom install. I've restarted my computer. It just won't show up.

If you uninstall and reinstall does it still work?

I updated my AE and when I opened it, the UI of Fast Renamer was jumping wildly whenever I tried to highlight a button.

So I closed AE and uninstalled and reinstalled Fast Renamer. Now it doesn't appear in AE at all. I've tried the  Manager, I've tried ZXP installer. I've tried a custom install. I've restarted my computer. It just won't show up.

If you uninstall and reinstall does it still work?
    I'm using Version 18.0.1 (Build 1)
  • Could you open a support ticket to talk about that please ?
  • hope the punctuation “_” can be change or turn off   !!!!

the other wish is that the UI can be DIY by svg photo button
    the default list can delete!
  • Me too!
    hope the punctuation “_” can be change or turn off   !!!!

• All of this will happen ;)
    Me too!
    hope the punctuation “_” can be change or turn off   !!!!

• when installing using the aescripts + aeplugins manager i get the error "The installer of Fast Renamer is corrupeted. Would you like to delete it and download it again?" - Clicking OK just results in the same error. Have had to install manually.
  • when installing using the aescripts + aeplugins manager i get the error "The installer of Fast Renamer is corrupeted. Would you like to delete it and download it again?" - Clicking OK just results in the same error. Have had to install manually.
    Please open a support ticket for assistance: https://aescripts.com/contact/?direct=1
  • Unfortunately, when renaming layers in After Effects, the expressions don't update along with the layer name. Therefore, the expressions are broken when using Fast Renamer to name my layers. Anyway around the problem?
  • Unfortunately, when renaming layers in After Effects, the expressions don't update along with the layer name. Therefore, the expressions are broken when using Fast Renamer to name my layers. Anyway around the problem?
    Sorry there is no solution. Fast Renamer is primarily designed for pre-animation work.
    I can advise you to use other tools like "duik" which allows to replace terms in expressions.
  • you seem to have a corrupt .zxp file I cannot download via
  • Is there a way to keep the existing layer names, but just use Fast Renamer to add a prefix? So if I have
    layer01
    layer02
    layer03

I would like to add the prefix "dark_" to the front of them, creating
    dark_layer01
    dark_layer02
    dark_layer03
  • Yes, you can add a prefix to your current names. In the setting you have a checkbox "keep layers name"

Is there a way to keep the existing layer names, but just use Fast Renamer to add a prefix? So if I have
    layer01
    layer02
    layer03

I would like to add the prefix "dark_" to the front of them, creating
    dark_layer01
    dark_layer02
    dark_layer03

• I am interested in purchasing this plugin but I have a question - does it also work for artboards in Photoshop?
  • Is it possible to rename only the selected layer and its children instead of affecting  the whole hierarchy all the way back the root as is currently the case ?

Thanks!

• I am interested in purchasing this plugin but I have a question - does it also work for artboards in Photoshop?
    The plugin doesn't work for renaming artboards, but it works for layers inside.

Is it possible to rename only the selected layer and its children instead of affecting  the whole hierarchy all the way back the root as is currently the case ?

Thanks!
    Unfortunately no it is not possible at the moment
  • Just purchased this plugin, but the settings menu has no functionality in AI. I'm running version 26.5. But before I left a comment here I restarted, still no functionality. Opened AE and decided to test it there (the lists transferred over flawlessly, love that!), and it worked perfectly (AE 22.6.0). Not sure why it isn't working in AI. Not sure if it makes a difference, but I'm on a Mac.

EDIT: Also, I just noticed today if I have a grouping of a several paths it will sequentially name all the paths first and THEN the compound paths instead of being simply sequential from top to bottom.

EDIT EDIT: Also it renames the Layer as well as the object or group I have selected, so I end up renaming the layer back to the original.

The more I use it the more I realize how buggy it is, which is sad because it has a lot of potential.
  • Just purchased this plugin, but the settings menu has no functionality in AI. I'm running version 26.5. But before I left a comment here I restarted, still no functionality. Opened AE and decided to test it there (the lists transferred over flawlessly, love that!), and it worked perfectly (AE 22.6.0). Not sure why it isn't working in AI. Not sure if it makes a difference, but I'm on a Mac.

EDIT: Also, I just noticed today if I have a grouping of a several paths it will sequentially name all the paths first and THEN the compound paths instead of being simply sequential from top to bottom.

EDIT EDIT: Also it renames the Layer as well as the object or group I have selected, so I end up renaming the layer back to the original.

The more I use it the more I realize how buggy it is, which is sad because it has a lot of potential.
    Hi Richard !
    I'm sorry to read that the extension is not working well.
    I just tested it on Illustrator version 26.5 (Windows) and it works normally. Can you send me screenshots of what appears on your screen?

About renaming in Illustrator, the way Illustrator composes its groups, subgroups and layers is very complex and very limited access for extensions, which reduces the possibilities, the best thing is actually to name the separate layers then to regroup afterwards. The next version of the application will try to be more User Friendly, but we are always limited by some Adobe features.
  • Just purchased this plugin it is great but there is fatal error in it let me explain it
    in these 3 lists (Simple body - body) right part of body named left and in this list (Character Animator) right part of body named right
    the correction of that error you must make the naming in 3 lists (Simple body - body-Character Animator ) the same either left or right
    so i can change it from settings but the way tour list built Simple body - body named in reverse naming of Character Animator and that is bad
  • The name list in photoshop doesn't load a previously saved list when opening a new file. And when I paste in the previous text, Fast Renamer no longer works and I have to restart Photoshop 2023.

It works at first, then I open a second file and it doesn't work on the second file. I can go back to the first file and it works fine. Even if I close the first file, the second file still doesn't work.

FIX: I figured it out... when you're working on a different file, close and re-open the Fast Renamer panel.
  • I am using the program well. layer order

Layer 01
    Layer 02
    Layer 03

is not

Layer 03
    Layer 02
    Layer 01

How can I change the order?
  • Is there a way to disable the inclusion of underscores when adding a prefix/suffix?