• Hello, first of all congratulations on this plugin. I have been using it for several years and it is awesome.
    On the other hand I find that it slows down a lot after effects for some time, is this normal?
  • Hello, first of all congratulations on this plugin. I have been using it for several years and it is awesome.
    On the other hand I find that it slows down a lot after effects for some time, is this normal?
    Hi,
    It shouldn't slow it down too much. So should not notice a big difference when it is open vs. closed.
     Could you provide a screencast showing how it slows down AE? This would help us. If so please open a support ticket therefore.
    Best
    Markus 
  • Hi, I can't draw on the map: this is the message I have when I try to drawing features:

"Features are too small for your current view. You can zoomin further or draw the feature without simplifying its geometry."

I tried to zoom in but nothing work...
    Do you have any solution?
  • Hi, I can't draw on the map: this is the message I have when I try to drawing features:

"Features are too small for your current view. You can zoomin further or draw the feature without simplifying its geometry."

I tried to zoom in but nothing work...
    Do you have any solution?
    Hey Sebastien,

This Message means that features are so small in your Mapcomp's view that they would not be visible. To learn a bit more you can check out this video: 
    If you still have questions please open a support ticket. We'll help you out!

Best
    Markus
  • HELP (URGENT)!!

Every time I finalize a map, a big empty square appears over Ukraine (see clip here). It comes up only during a zoom in. Tried to re finalize, even starting over from scratch, but it occurs again. What am I doing wrong? 

• HELP (URGENT)!!

Every time I finalize a map, a big empty square appears over Ukraine (see clip here). It comes up only during a zoom in. Tried to re finalize, even starting over from scratch, but it occurs again. What am I doing wrong? 

Hi please open a support ticket for issues like this. We will help you out.
  • hello/
    i am using the bing Aerial map. close zoom and the Image quality is not good even after Finalize. 
    Is there a way to improve the image quality?
    make a higher quality  finalize?
    the same place in google earth studio is much much better
    thank you
  • Hi!
    The Basic, Advanced, Admin Boundaries and Natural Earth map styles are not available to me, for all of them it says "Data not licensed". Is this correct? I would have thought that at least the Basic map style would be available as default. 

AE screendump

• Hi!
    In the newest version i don't get "Administrative" results in the search bar (e.g. Croatia) but this is/was the only way to draw the correct boundaries (especially at the Hungarian border and the river "Mur" there)
  • Just bought GeoLayers 3, and cannot figure out how to do the following: I just want to show a map of Maine, and have about 20 store locations appear on the map. I cannot find how to do this in any of the tutorials.I can easily create a comp of Maine, but I have no idea how to add labels for store locations. How do I figure this out?
  • I have successfully in the past, made label templates with adjustment layers that blur the background.
    With the latest version, even with collapse transformations checked, the adjustment layers do not work, unless I delete all the label effects in the map comp, which is obviously not a solution.

Am I doing something wrong? I ran through preferences, saw nothing there, tried all sorts of solutions, came up with nothing.

• I have successfully in the past, made label templates with adjustment layers that blur the background.
    With the latest version, even with collapse transformations checked, the adjustment layers do not work, unless I delete all the label effects in the map comp, which is obviously not a solution.

Am I doing something wrong? I ran through preferences, saw nothing there, tried all sorts of solutions, came up with nothing.

Hi please open a support ticket for issues like this. We will try to help you out.
    And could you please attache a project with blur adjustment layer to the ticket? 
  • Hi!
    The Basic, Advanced, Admin Boundaries and Natural Earth map styles are not available to me, for all of them it says "Data not licensed". Is this correct? I would have thought that at least the Basic map style would be available as default. 

AE screendump

Hello Søren,
    yes it is. All of the data you mentioned is either created and / or hosted by maptiler.com and you need the mapdata subscription.
    If you still have questions please open a support ticket. We'll help you out!
    Best
    Nico

• Hi!
    In the newest version i don't get "Administrative" results in the search bar (e.g. Croatia) but this is/was the only way to draw the correct boundaries (especially at the Hungarian border and the river "Mur" there)
    Hello Helmut,
    we checked that on our installation and we couldn't reproduce this issue.
    Could you please open a support ticket for this issues and we'll try to find out what's going on in your case.

Best
    Nico

• hello/
    i am using the bing Aerial map. close zoom and the Image quality is not good even after Finalize. 
    Is there a way to improve the image quality?
    make a higher quality  finalize?
    the same place in google earth studio is much much better
    thank you
    Please excuse the late reply to your comment. Your support ticket is already being processed and we hope to find the solution quickly and will of course contact you asap.
    Best
    Nico
  • Geolayers 3 user here, i really want to know if i'm using a 3d template like the bike tracks template if i can change the resolution of the comp (from FHD to 4K for example) Also is there a way to change the map data (texture data) to another map?

Best
    Dave
  • Geolayers 3 user here, i really want to know if i'm using a 3d template like the bike tracks template if i can change the resolution of the comp (from FHD to 4K for example) Also is there a way to change the map data (texture data) to another map?

Best
    Dave
    Sure thing. Changing the resolution is a bit tedious but applying a different mapstyle can be done with a few clicks. I've seen you created a support ticket... we'll help you out there! 
  • I'm confused with this new GeoLayers 3 update and MapTiler.

All my Stamen profile imagery styles no longer work, aside from my roads profile. Everything else is just a black layer. (I've read the previous comments about that being on Stamens end, so it seems Stamen is no longer supported)

Is there a way to bring data from OpenStreetMap to use?  Such as have a water matte layer, a road layer and a park layer all separate to change colors/transparency etc...? I can't see anything in the preferences or the settings in the Imagery tab anywhere

Using Stamen, you could give them credit for using their map data and now it seems the only way to use GeoLayers3 commercially you have to pay the Map Tiler fee? OpenStreetMap data is open source and can be used commercially while giving credit to them, but the only way to use that data is to pay Map Tiler? Am I missing something? 

Thanks!
  • I'm confused with this new GeoLayers 3 update and MapTiler.

All my Stamen profile imagery styles no longer work, aside from my roads profile. Everything else is just a black layer. (I've read the previous comments about that being on Stamens end, so it seems Stamen is no longer supported)

Is there a way to bring data from OpenStreetMap to use?  Such as have a water matte layer, a road layer and a park layer all separate to change colors/transparency etc...? I can't see anything in the preferences or the settings in the Imagery tab anywhere

Using Stamen, you could give them credit for using their map data and now it seems the only way to use GeoLayers3 commercially you have to pay the Map Tiler fee? OpenStreetMap data is open source and can be used commercially while giving credit to them, but the only way to use that data is to pay Map Tiler? Am I missing something? 

Thanks!
    Hi Joe, all free sources, also stamen should not be affected. You should be able to use them without any fee. There is also the OSM basemap among the free default imagery. It is not easy to provide OSM data in a easy to style and reliable manner though. This is what we want to offer with the MapTiler Cloud integration. Do you have GEOlayers 2? It is also possible to import v2 serverprofiles in GEOlayers 3. If you need further help please open a support ticket here: aescripts.com/contact
  • Hi there—I love the plug in, but I'm running into a problem importing datasets. I'm trying to import a dataset of the watershed of Puget Sound. (Here's where I'm getting the data: https://apps.nationalmap.gov/downloader/#/7/47.257593103260774/-123.32150523317053/usgs_topo/4f5545cce4b018de15819ca9/5136012ce4b03b8ec4025bf7)

However, certain .shp files are returning this message when I try to import them:

Error importing file: File is too large. 

There are two files in particular I've been trying to import that are 182 MB and 144 MB respectively, and GEOLayers tells me both are too large. Is there any way around this? There are tons of little creeks and streams that make up the watershed, so it is a really busy set—but at the same time, that's exactly what I'm trying to highlight in this project.

Thanks for any help!
  • Hi there—I love the plug in, but I'm running into a problem importing datasets. I'm trying to import a dataset of the watershed of Puget Sound. (Here's where I'm getting the data: https://apps.nationalmap.gov/downloader/#/7/47.257593103260774/-123.32150523317053/usgs_topo/4f5545cce4b018de15819ca9/5136012ce4b03b8ec4025bf7)

However, certain .shp files are returning this message when I try to import them:

There are two files in particular I've been trying to import that are 182 MB and 144 MB respectively, and GEOLayers tells me both are too large. Is there any way around this? There are tons of little creeks and streams that make up the watershed, so it is a really busy set—but at the same time, that's exactly what I'm trying to highlight in this project.

Thanks for any help!
    Hey Adam, this really looks like a huge dataset. First I would try to simplify the geometry. A great tool to do this is mapshaper.org. often you can remove detail in a manner that it is not even visible but leads to a lot smaller datasets. If that doesn't work there is some other options. Please Open a support ticket on aescripts.com/contact and we will help you out.
  • This tool looks great, thank you!

Hi there—I love the plug in, but I'm running into a problem importing datasets. I'm trying to import a dataset of the watershed of Puget Sound. (Here's where I'm getting the data: https://apps.nationalmap.gov/downloader/#/7/47.257593103260774/-123.32150523317053/usgs_topo/4f5545cce4b018de15819ca9/5136012ce4b03b8ec4025bf7)

Thanks for any help!
    Hey Adam, this really looks like a huge dataset. First I would try to simplify the geometry. A great tool to do this is mapshaper.org. often you can remove detail in a manner that it is not even visible but leads to a lot smaller datasets. If that doesn't work there is some other options. Please Open a support ticket on aescripts.com/contact and we will help you out.
  • Hello, great product.   Where is the video on 3d buildings ?   I see 10,000 landscape how to videos but very few on making a 3d building.    

Thanks for your help.
  • Ken Swann said:
    Hello, great product.   Where is the video on 3d buildings ?   I see 10,000 landscape how to videos but very few on making a 3d building.    

Thanks for your help.
    Hey Ken, I think we only had a video for v2 on this topic. If you have a MapTiler Cloud Plan you'll simply find a button for it in the toolbar. If not it is also posible by manually downloading osm data and drawing it with the shape layers style "3D Building". I've seen you created a support ticket for this topic. We will help you over there.
  • Hey Markus,

Hope you are well.. just wondering if anyone had reported problems with the height maps downloading.

I'm getting a lot of error messages when saying tiles couldn't be rendered
  • I received a project that was made a person who no longer works for my company. was made in GeoLayers 2 and references a bunch of tiles were clearly cached locally on the creators computer (~/Library/Preferences/aescripts/GeoLayers2/tiles/...). This person's computer can't be located and I need to update this project. There's 200+ tiles I need to re-download and relink. I'm having my IT department purchase version 3 but I can't find any information on how to re-link / download the correct tiles once they've been unlinked. How do I do this?
  • Hey Markus,

Hope you are well.. just wondering if anyone had reported problems with the height maps downloading.

I'm getting a lot of error messages when saying tiles couldn't be rendered
    Hey Alex, just tested it over here and I dont have problems. You can send over the .aep file and we'll have a look.

I received a project that was made a person who no longer works for my company. was made in GeoLayers 2 and references a bunch of tiles were clearly cached locally on the creators computer (~/Library/Preferences/aescripts/GeoLayers2/tiles/...). This person's computer can't be located and I need to update this project. There's 200+ tiles I need to re-download and relink. I'm having my IT department purchase version 3 but I can't find any information on how to re-link / download the correct tiles once they've been unlinked. How do I do this?
    Hi Matthew, the missing tiles are not a problem. Easiest way is to remove the "Tiles" folder inside "GEOlayers 2 Items" in the project. And simply finalize your mapcomps again. This will redownload and place all tiles again. You'll need to do this with V2 though if it is a V2 project. Please open a support ticket if you have further questions.
  • Hi Markus!

I wondered if it's possible to automate locations / import locations in GEOlayers 3.
    I have a project where I need to change the location over and over again (100+). There should always be a zoom-out but from different cities to the country.
    Is it possible to import an excel sheet? Or is it possible to import longitude / latitude over expressions? I do have a plugin that is able to import external data into expressions - i just don't find the correct place to import it to...

Thanks for your response!

Best,
    Gabs
  • Map imagery doesn't appear in the composition Panel for me, Just black.
    Ive tried uninstalling and reinstalling. I can see the preview map in the Geolayers interface but in the Composition Panel only the maps watermark and location names will appear. When attempting to finalize it tells me the tiles cannot be rendered.
  • Hi Markus!

I wondered if it's possible to automate locations / import locations in GEOlayers 3.
    I have a project where I need to change the location over and over again (100+). There should always be a zoom-out but from different cities to the country.
    Is it possible to import an excel sheet? Or is it possible to import longitude / latitude over expressions? I do have a plugin that is able to import external data into expressions - i just don't find the correct place to import it to...

Thanks for your response!

Best,
    Gabs
    Hi Gabriel, GEOlayers 3 has a scripting api for such tasks. Actually there is an example script that watches a csv, geocodes the placenames from the csv, creates map animations, adds labels, finalizes and saves the project. You can download the examples in the "Scripting API" section in the help. The example is called "06_WatchCSV" If you need further assistance please open a support ticket.

Dan Grady said:
    Map imagery doesn't appear in the composition Panel for me, Just black.
    Ive tried uninstalling and reinstalling. I can see the preview map in the Geolayers interface but in the Composition Panel only the maps watermark and location names will appear. When attempting to finalize it tells me the tiles cannot be rendered.
    Hey Dan, seems like something with the installation went wrong. Please open a support ticket. We will help you out.
  • Hi Markus!
    We have been building maps using GEOLayers for AfterEffects although we find that most clients dont want to use them due to the attribution.
    Is there a license available were we do not need to attribute? Paying a one time licensing fee to remove attribution in a given project would be a game changer. Any thoughts or direction on this would be greatly appreciated.
    Best,
    Adam.
  • Hi Markus!
    We have been building maps using GEOLayers for AfterEffects although we find that most clients dont want to use them due to the attribution.
    Is there a license available were we do not need to attribute? Paying a one time licensing fee to remove attribution in a given project would be a game changer. Any thoughts or direction on this would be greatly appreciated.
    Best,
    Adam.
    Hello Adam,
    every now and then we have requests to be able to omit the attribution.
    This is possible with data from Maptiler, but of course it has to be negotiated and may be more expensive. Please contact [email protected] for this.

In principle, the same applies to the other providers such as bing maps and so on, but we have no general statement here and unfortunately we have no experience in case of omit attribution with the other providers.

If you have further questions or need assistance, please open a support ticket

Best,
    Nico

• Is there a way to select certain areas to create 3d buildings? I get close to a location but they want to make a million layers.
  • Ever since I installed Geolayers 3 I'm getting random crashes with a "group mismatch error." Even when I'm not using Geolayers.
  • Ever since I installed Geolayers 3 I'm getting random crashes with a "group mismatch error." Even when I'm not using Geolayers.
    Hello Patrick,
    please open a support ticket for this issue and could you please provide us some informations like OS Version, AE Version, GEOlayers 3 version?
    Best
    Nico 
  • Is there a way to select certain areas to create 3d buildings? I get close to a location but they want to make a million layers.
    Hello Joseph,
    please open a support ticket and we'll try to help you out.
    Best
    Nico
  • If I am making a 3D Landscape using GeoLayers3 on a Mac, which has faster render times? Plexus or Trapcode Mir? Many thanks
  • Hello,

Is there a way to add a secondary zoom without faking it (scaling the comp) for a more cinematic look?

I'd like to do a quick zoom out from a map and then have a slow constant zoom throughout the composition.

Much thanks!
  • I noticed when I choose to draw some country features, it draws over some of the ocean surrounding it. Can anyone tell me how to avoid this? Thanks
  • If I am making a 3D Landscape using GeoLayers3 on a Mac, which has faster render times? Plexus or Trapcode Mir? Many thanks
    ouh, can't tell which is faster. With Trapcode Mir you can achieve more realistic looks whereas plexus will render vector style looks.

Aelee Vang said:
    Hello,

Is there a way to add a secondary zoom without faking it (scaling the comp) for a more cinematic look?

I'd like to do a quick zoom out from a map and then have a slow constant zoom throughout the composition.

Much thanks!
    Sure thing, you can simply adjust the zoom animation with the graph editor in AE.

CNS Prk said:
    I noticed when I choose to draw some country features, it draws over some of the ocean surrounding it. Can anyone tell me how to avoid this? Thanks
    Yes features from OpenStreetMap are not clipped to Land. You can simply download features from Natural Earth instead. Another option is to mask them with a Water Mask Mapcomp. Let us know if you need assistance.
  • Hi,

I can't see the same features in my project screen, I've tried rendering and exporting but it seems not working at all :(

Screen Shot 2021-03-30 at 2.46.49 pm.png
    4016 x 1448 - 2M
  • Would it be possbile to make an elevation animation that show the elevation as a graph from the elevation data  I have in the GPX file? 
    And the line are following the course. 
  • Would it be possbile to make an elevation animation that show the elevation as a graph from the elevation data  I have in the GPX file? 

And the line are following the course. 
    As AE can only render 2.5d it would only be possible to have the elevation as an extra 2d diagram... Guess that would be possible with a few tweaks. We can help you better if you open a support ticket on aescripts.com/contact
  • Hi,

I can't see the same features in my project screen, I've tried rendering and exporting but it seems not working at all :(

Hi Florence, this depends on zoom, resolution and your selected imagery style. For more help please open a support ticket on aescripts.com/contact
  • Great extension! That said, I am unable to draw realistic routes between two points (car, pedestrian, bicycle), as I continuously get the message: "unexpected token N in JSON at position 0". I've tried changing the route to other locations as a test but the problem persists. Any ideas as to why this is happening? Thank you!

Andrew, were you able to figure this out?
  • Great extension! That said, I am unable to draw realistic routes between two points (car, pedestrian, bicycle), as I continuously get the message: "unexpected token N in JSON at position 0". I've tried changing the route to other locations as a test but the problem persists. Any ideas as to why this is happening? Thank you!
    Andrew, did you ever figure this out?
  • Hey Andrew, simply update to the latest version to fix this.
  • Hello! Can we target other terrain databases? We have access to some that are of higher resolution. WMS and WCS, if that works. There's also a REST-API. Is this doable?
  • Hello! Can we target other terrain databases? We have access to some that are of higher resolution. WMS and WCS, if that works. There's also a REST-API. Is this doable?
    Hey Tore, yes thats possible. Just open a support ticket and I'll send you some Mapcomp Imagery Styles that you can import.
  • Hello! I am new to GeoLayers. I have viewed all the tutorials and can't seem to figure out how to do a basic task. Essentially, I am animating a map of Alaska. The purpose of the map is to show that Alaska is so large that you can fit the state of Texas inside the map 3 times. I just want to take the shape layer that is created when I search for Texas and I want to put it inside the map of Alaska. Any idea how I can do this?