• Can't wait!  when do you think the release date will be?
  • Monday. Pinky swear.

Can't wait!  when do you think the release date will be?

• Ok, this is taking way too long now!   ;)
  • Trust me, I'm as much eager to launch it as you are you get it. But be patient, less then 48 hours left till we Roll it! out.

Ok, this is taking way too long now!   ;)

• That's AMAZING ^__^
  • Very cool script boss. Although I would have bought it just to reward you for the epic Promo. Quick question how does Roll it work with parenting? I noted that in your example you have the tractor rig how was that put together?
  • Hey Ben. Thanks for kind reply.
    Parenting? Hell yeah! Actually, I am working on a tutorial to show how to rig either a tractor or a pram, but it would take some time to finish it. Anyways, you can try parenting with trial mode to see what's up.

Very cool script boss. Although I would have bought it just to reward you for the epic Promo. Quick question how does Roll it work with parenting? I noted that in your example you have the tractor rig how was that put together?

• I must be slow. The instructions for how to use it seem vague to me. Please advise or provide a step by step tutorial please. Purchased it.
  • Looks great. And I would second Mark Santella's sentiments. I would love to see a tutorial on how you did the examples at the bottom of the descriptions page.
  • 1. Select a shape layer.
    2. Click Roll it!
    3. Modify Rotation property.

That's it. It rolls.

I must be slow. The instructions for how to use it seem vague to me. Please advise or provide a step by step tutorial please. Purchased it.

• I am working on tutorial. This will take some time though. It will be posted online once it's done. Thank you.

Looks great. And I would second Mark Santella's sentiments. I would love to see a tutorial on how you did the examples at the bottom of the descriptions page.

• Hi!
    I just bought your script, and it works like a charm in CC2017. Unfortunately I wanted to use this in a project that needs to be finished in CC2014. Trying the script there always leads to an "Out of Memory"-Error following AE crashing. I have >30 GB of RAM available for AE, Mutlicore-Rendering is disabled.
    Any further ideas on how I could fix that issue?

For now I'll just "roll" the desired shape in CC17 and import it over to CC14. Would be nice though if I could use it directly.

Thank you so much for this awesome tool!
    Regards
  • Darn. So much for "rolling" it in CC17 and importing it to CC14.
    It seems to be the expression itself that (in my case) crashes CC14.

My workaround for now: Convert the expression to keyframes and thus get the desired result in CC14.
  • Clever little script, thanks for making it!
  • Great tool, man. Love it so far.

A great feature would be to allow the reverse of its functionality: moving the object's position dictates the roll. This would allow for vehicles that have two different sized wheels to roll at different rates, or to roll objects to up and down a wavy hill, or around a path.

It's probably already possible to figure out with math, but my math.....she's not so good. 
  • Thanks Mike.
    I am working on this feature. I was working on such task before, but didnt finish it because of too complex calculations, therefore went with Rotation drives Position approach. I might give first option a try again after holidays, but cannot give you any promises. It really isn't a simple trigonometry there, unfortunately.

Great tool, man. Love it so far.

A great feature would be to allow the reverse of its functionality: moving the object's position dictates the roll. This would allow for vehicles that have two different sized wheels to roll at different rates, or to roll objects to up and down a wavy hill, or around a path.

It's probably already possible to figure out with math, but my math.....she's not so good. 

• Hi Tomas,

As James Scott asked in december, a real tutorial would be useful. We are in May now and no tutorial has come. When can we hope to see one? I've purchased this script and need real help to use it now. Thanks
  • Hi Tomas. 
    What about real tutorial for using this script?
  • How can I get back my money?
  • Hi there,
    pretty good script for rolling just a simple layer with an odd shape
    but
    how do we go about getting the actions shown in the promo video
    which is what sold me on buying it in the first place

just a simple tutorial to understand how to put together a parented group and have only a few rotate
    like the tractor displayed

thanks in advance
  • Sorry for a long wait, but tutorial just went online, along with project files. Hope you find it usefull https://aescripts.com/learn/roll-it--tractor-tutorial/

Hi there,
    pretty good script for rolling just a simple layer with an odd shape
    but
    how do we go about getting the actions shown in the promo video
    which is what sold me on buying it in the first place

just a simple tutorial to understand how to put together a parented group and have only a few rotate
    like the tractor displayed

thanks in advance

aa bb said:
    Hi Tomas. 
    What about real tutorial for using this script?

Hi Tomas,

As James Scott asked in december, a real tutorial would be useful. We are in May now and no tutorial has come. When can we hope to see one? I've purchased this script and need real help to use it now. Thanks

• I'm considering on buying it. But when is it going to be compatible with CC 2019?
  • How can I make the two abstract and odd sized shapes still react like car wheels?
    Currently they don't stick to the car, but start to slide from the wheelarches?
  • Hey. have you seen Tractor tutorial?

It covers basic steps on how to rig wheels.

How can I make the two abstract and odd sized shapes still react like car wheels?

• Hey. have you seen Tractor tutorial?

It covers basic steps on how to rig wheels.

How can I make the two abstract and odd sized shapes still react like car wheels?

Yes, but unfortunately it doesn't work when the wheels are random shapes / different sizes. They travel different distances :(
  • Hi there! Love this script! I'm having an issue however when using it with motion 2 excite on the rotation. It works as expected but after the animation is complete the position occasionally flashes it off to the side intermittently for the duration of the comp. Thanks for any help you can provide! https://gph.is/g/4zoMrLE <- Gif of example here
  • Hi - I've read the pdf but I'm either doing something wrong or there's an incompatibility with CC 2019. I have two basic questions:

1) How do you make a shape (bezier) roll along a path? (I've tried clicking with the various modifier keys and have tried a mask on the shape layer as well as on an independent layer)

2) In the documentation, it notes this can't be used on animated shapes. But in the sample shots, it shows an chicken with leg swinging back and forth tumbling on conveyor belt and looks like Roll It is registering the proper contact points. Can you explain how that's done?

Thanks
  • Hey Toby. That flashing looks weird. Any chance you could share a AEP so I could take a look? I've never seen this before in my tests. Cheers.

Hi there! Love this script! I'm having an issue however when using it with motion 2 excite on the rotation. It works as expected but after the animation is complete the position occasionally flashes it off to the side intermittently for the duration of the comp. Thanks for any help you can provide! https://gph.is/g/4zoMrLE <- Gif of example here

• Hey Robert Thanks for your inquiry.
    Regarding #1 - no, you cannot roll along the path, unfortunately. This is something I left uncovered due to too complex mathematical calculations.
    As for the #2, well, what I meant to say in the docs was that once you click Roll it!, scripts reads the shape data at current position, no matter if your shape is animated or not. So, once Roll it! makes a snapshot of your shape at this time, it will roll on this data. Therefore, if your shape animates while rolling, it's contact with the ground will not be precise. In my chicken sample shot I did a trick - I read data once chicken was flat on the surface with it's legs pointing upwards. So in this case, when it rolls, I can somewhat move/rotate the legs while the chicken is flat on the ground and legs aren't touching the surface.However, I have to return legs position/rotation to it's original position once they make a contact with the ground, otherwise legs would go underneath the surface. Sorry, this is something too difficult for me to explain. But I hope this clears at least something. Cheers.

Hi - I've read the pdf but I'm either doing something wrong or there's an incompatibility with CC 2019. I have two basic questions:

1) How do you make a shape (bezier) roll along a path? (I've tried clicking with the various modifier keys and have tried a mask on the shape layer as well as on an independent layer)

2) In the documentation, it notes this can't be used on animated shapes. But in the sample shots, it shows an chicken with leg swinging back and forth tumbling on conveyor belt and looks like Roll It is registering the proper contact points. Can you explain how that's done?

Thanks

• It is compatible with CC2019 and probably with the newer AE versions once they come out.

I'm considering on buying it. But when is it going to be compatible with CC 2019?

• Yeah, this is a known issue/scenario with odd shapes. However, the only way around this is to use Rotation on the one wheel, but animate the second wheel frame by frame, so it doesn't slide from the wheelarches.

I wish I could provide a better solution for this, but I don't have anything better for this moment, sorry.

• Hey Tomas - 

Thanks for the explanations. I'll do some further testing with those techniques and manual adjustments in mind.

Hey Robert Thanks for your inquiry.
    Regarding #1 - no, you cannot roll along the path, unfortunately. This is something I left uncovered due to too complex mathematical calculations.
    As for the #2, well, what I meant to say in the docs was that once you click Roll it!, scripts reads the shape data at current position, no matter if your shape is animated or not. So, once Roll it! makes a snapshot of your shape at this time, it will roll on this data. Therefore, if your shape animates while rolling, it's contact with the ground will not be precise. In my chicken sample shot I did a trick - I read data once chicken was flat on the surface with it's legs pointing upwards. So in this case, when it rolls, I can somewhat move/rotate the legs while the chicken is flat on the ground and legs aren't touching the surface.However, I have to return legs position/rotation to it's original position once they make a contact with the ground, otherwise legs would go underneath the surface. Sorry, this is something too difficult for me to explain. But I hope this clears at least something. Cheers.

Hi - I've read the pdf but I'm either doing something wrong or there's an incompatibility with CC 2019. I have two basic questions:

Thanks

• Robert, you can grab Chicken AEP project file from here and see how I did it. Cheers.
    https://lottiefiles.com/7093-roll-it-chicken-roll

Hey Tomas - 

Thanks for the explanations. I'll do some further testing with those techniques and manual adjustments in mind.

Hey Robert Thanks for your inquiry.

Thanks

• Hi I'm trying to use it AE 2019, however it just doesn't seem to apply the expression. Does it not work in 2019? 
    Here's what I'm doing:
    1. Create a shape
    2. Launch Roll it
    3. Click on Roll it!,
    4. Click on Got it Boss!

no expressing shows up on the position transform

• Hi I'm trying to use it AE 2019, however it just doesn't seem to apply the expression. Does it not work in 2019? 
    Here's what I'm doing:
    1. Create a shape
    2. Launch Roll it
    3. Click on Roll it!,
    4. Click on Got it Boss!

no expressing shows up on the position transform

This is probably the issue.
    Roll it
     works with Bezier shapes, so all the parametric shapes such as rectangle, ellipse, and star, must be converted to a Bezier shape. To do so twirl open the shape layer and right-click the shape path for example, Rectangle 1, and select Convert To Bezier Path.
  • Can you roll a normal (raster) layer as well? Or like, build a shape in the same shape as the raster layer (say, an egg) and parent the layer to the rolling shape?
  • You cannot roll raster layer. However, what you can do, is draw a Mask on that raster layer, and set it's mode to None (so it does not mask the layer), and then use _that Mask_ as a shape for Roll it!.

Can you roll a normal (raster) layer as well? Or like, build a shape in the same shape as the raster layer (say, an egg) and parent the layer to the rolling shape?

• Can I use Roll it to follow a specific path. Say rolling an oval up and down hills?
  • Sorry, but no.
    That would make AE to explode with complex calculation in expression on each frame.

Can I use Roll it to follow a specific path. Say rolling an oval up and down hills?

• Hi there, I love the product... happy customer. One question - does anything come to mind as a way to lock a texture that's linked to the object? Even if just the X. I've looked into / tried sourceRectAtTime but that's getting out of my realm. I would think I could use sourceRectAtTime to get the top left bounding box of the object (or center, in the case of my oblong shape)... and lock a layer to those coordinates. Thanks for your time!
  • One way would be to make texture follow the position of the rolling layer. Apply this expression on textture layers Position property:

var rollingLayer = thisComp.layer("ROLLING LAYER");
    var x = rollingLayer.transform.position[0];
    var y = value[1];
    [x, y];

Cheers.

Adam Tow said:
    Hi there, I love the product... happy customer. One question - does anything come to mind as a way to lock a texture that's linked to the object? Even if just the X. I've looked into / tried sourceRectAtTime but that's getting out of my realm. I would think I could use sourceRectAtTime to get the top left bounding box of the object (or center, in the case of my oblong shape)... and lock a layer to those coordinates. Thanks for your time!

• Is there a way to bake the resulting animation?
  • Hi,

Roll It! is causing random position glitches. I see another user has seen this too. Did you find a solution?
  • more tutorials please.
  • If the tutor wants to rush on tutorials then he must have paste the expression instead of talking too fast and finish the tutorials like in the race.
  • Will this be updated for the New Javascript Expressions?
  • This has stopped working with the Windows 22.6.0 update. 

It now shows the following error: 

---------------------------
    Script Alert
    Error: After Effects error: Can not “set expression” with this property, because the property or a parent property is hidden.
    Script File: Roll it!.jsx
    Function: doIt
    Error on Line: 1024

• Hey Chris. I am not aware of this issue. Do you mind opening a support ticket, so I can track it? Thanks.

This has stopped working with the Windows 22.6.0 update. 

It now shows the following error: 

Script Alert
    Error: After Effects error: Can not “set expression” with this property, because the property or a parent property is hidden.
    Script File: Roll it!.jsx
    Function: doIt
    Error on Line: 1024

• It amazing technique , new for me