Pixel Stretch
  • I only gave this plugin a cursory glance but for me the critical thing missing from it is the ability to use a separate layer to drive the effect. 
  • bureaukrat inc said:
    I only gave this plugin a cursory glance but for me the critical thing missing from it is the ability to use a separate layer to drive the effect. 
    Hi, thanks for your comment. We are planning to add this feature soon. We know it will make the plugin much more versatile.
  • Having trouble with getting the trial to work.  When applying to layer it blanks out the screen and upon preview I get this error message:

"Attempt to call CheckOutLayer on a non layer parameter" Any ideas?
  • When applying to layer it blanks out the screen and upon preview I get this error message:

Hi Joe, none of our customers reported such behavior yet, and we haven't experienced it either.

To help you figure this out at our end, we need more information - what product you tested this on (After Effects or Premiere), its exact version number, and your operating system.

Did this error show up right away when applying Pixel Stretch (with the default parameters) on video footage, or did you tweak the "Intensity Layer" parameter?

PS is not using another layer as an intensity input, by default. In case the layer was of a different kind, let us know which one (but it shouldn't matter).

Could you send us the project file (via helpdesk ticket; just the file without assets) or describe the actions of how you applied the filter in more detail?
  • I have the same problem like Joe Vaccarino,

first it shows 2 Pixelstretch in the Effects Menu under Satori. Then Black frame, when i press render > error meesage: Attempt to call CheckOutLayer on a non layer parameter. After restart of AE plugin shows up correctly, but still two times Pixel Stretch under Satori.

But: A very interesting Plugin, love the results!

• I have the same problem like Joe Vaccarino,

first it shows 2 Pixelstretch in the Effects Menu under Satori...
    Hi Lars.
    Thanks for providing more details. It gives us an idea of what's perhaps going on.
    It's especially odd to have two copies of the same filter.
    Do you experience it on Windows, and which version of Ae?
    We made a small mistake in the initial version 1.0.0 and bundled the Windows version as PixelStretch-1.0.0.aex. Updated version 1.1.0 was already correctly named PixelStretch.aex.
    Is it possible you have both versions placed in your plugins folder?
    We tried to replicate this, but it's not causing the described problem (only one instance in the Satori folder, no issues with CheckOutLayer).
    Please, try to remove "PixelStretch-1.0.0.aex" if present and just keep PixelStretch.aex and perform from the menu: Preferences > Media & Disk Cache > Clean Database & Cache.
    The affected platform and Ae's version number will significantly help to hunt this problem down. Thanks for any additional info. Glad you like the filter!
  • Hi, I am using the trial version and I have the exact problem as the 2 other person that commented before me (the black screen and ''pixel stretch'' in the effect menu. Im on Mac so it can't be because of the other Windows version as you mention before, and I use Ae 18.4.1. Have you find a way to fix the problem?
  • Hi, I'm interested in buying this but I have the same issue with the trial as the other comments below. I'm on macOS as well. Any updates? Thanks. 

• Hi, I'm interested in buying this but I have the same issue with the trial as the other comments below. I'm on macOS as well. Any updates? Thanks. 

Hi Medeea! Update is ready for release with the fix. As we can't replicate it in-house, we have this confirmed only externally. The update will be released up as soon as possible, but we have to wait a bit to have the final version of Aescripts licensing framework (ver. 4.0) in the build, so we will at the same time also support Apple M1 CPUs.
    However, it would be perfect to double-check the validity of the fix. I can send you the pre-release version of Pixel Stretch. If you are willing to test it, please write me at zden֎satori•sk

• Joe Vaccarino said: Having trouble with getting the trial to work.  When applying to layer it blanks out the screen and upon preview I get this error message:
    Hi Joe. This problem is finally resolved in version 1.5.
    All the best, Zden

• Joe Vaccarino said: Having trouble with getting the trial to work.  When applying to layer it blanks out the screen and upon preview I get this error message:
    Hi Joe. This problem is finally resolved in version 1.5.
    All the best, Zden
    Hi there, 

Sorry I hadn't seen your previous reply. I finally bought this the other day but seems the issue is still present. It actually worked fine the first few times I used it (by selecting the second Pixel Stretch from the list because the duplication in the effects drop down list is still there), but after trying to apply it on another pre-comp I got the error again and now it doesn't seem to work for any new layer applications. The first ones I applied it on still work, on the condition none of the parameters of the effect are changed. If they are, the clip turns black. The error took place on a basic pre-comp with a few masked frames of a clip inside. 

Edit: One more thing I noticed while playing with it:

- After the plugin glitches the first time, it will not work in any other project either. I also tried creating a few new project instances to test this.
    - The error also completely glitches out the Pixel Stretch logo displayed in Effect controls
    - A complete reboot of my MacBook fixed the issue but seems it can come back anytime? 

•  It actually worked fine the first few times I used it (by selecting the second Pixel Stretch from the list because the duplication in the effects drop down list is still there), but after trying to apply it on another pre-comp I got the error again and now it doesn't seem to work for any new layer applications.
    Hi Medeea.

It's odd to see duplicates of the plugin in the Effects menu and how it behaves - unseen on my side. I'm intrigued to investigate.

First, let's quickly try to remove duplicates in the Effects menu:
    1) Remove PixelStretch.plugin bundle from MediaCore/ folder. Assure yourself there is only PixelStretch.plugin intalled and not Windows build: PixelStretch.aex file (weirdly, macOS version of AE is trying to load Windows .aex version and causes unexpected behavior)
    2) Restart AE and ensure that Pixel Stretch is not present in the Effects menu.
    3) Access settings: Edit/Preferences/Media & Disk Cache and choose Empty/Clean for all caches; quit AE.
    4) copy PixelStretch.plugin bundle back to MediaCore/ folder and restart AE.

Don't hesitate to open an error ticket via Aescripts if the above steps won't help.
    It would be helpful to tell me the exact version of AE + macOS you are experiencing the problem.
    It's also worth the shot to install a different version of AE to rule out your AE's version is working fine.

All the best,
    Zden
  • Hi, I found a bug I guess. When you open after effects beta (natively in apple silicon). After Says that the plugin is not supported and that I have to use rosetta. but then the plugin appears in the menu and it seems is usable.

• fadu dba said:
    Hi, I found a bug I guess. When you open after effects beta (natively in apple silicon). After Says that the plugin is not supported and that I have to use rosetta.
    Hi Fadu, thank you for reporting this problem. You indeed found a bug. It's already replicated and fixed. Expect an update of PS to v1.5.1 later this week.
    Best regards, Zden
  • Hi, I am using the trial version and I have the exact problem as the 2 other person that commented before me (the black screen and ''pixel stretch'' in the effect menu. Im on Mac so it can't be because of the other Windows version as you mention before, and I use Ae 18.4.1. Have you find a way to fix the problem?
    Dear Marie, thank you for your very cooperative attitude in case of hunting down the unreplicable issue on our side you reported. You have been a great example of a user who can significantly help when devs are stuck with a problem they can't experience firsthand.
    Thank you again, Zden
  • Hi, I'm trying to get this to work in PR. The effect loads fine and seems to be working as intended in the edit screen but as soon as I try to render anything more than a minute or two it crashes PR. This happens in both the 'render section' option and trying to render the entire project.

This is the error message. 

Error compiling movie.

Frame Creation Error

Bad allocation while creating disk aligned video frame.

Rendering effect: AE.pixel_stretch
    Component: Pixel Stretch of type AEVideoFilter
    Sector: 11
    Error code: -1609629690

I know that error code is meant to have something to do with the GPU accelerated encoding, but even with that off it still fails on render. PR can render the video with Pixel Stretch disabled, so the fx is causing some issue or over complicated process that's making the render fail. 

Any ideas on how to fix this? 

• Marc Okem said:

Any ideas on how to fix this? 

Hi Marc. Thank you for reporting this problem.

I did a few tests in various versions of PR and replicated this issue, in my case, at about the 6th-minute mark (tested on SD video). It's not a direct crash inside Pixel Stretch's code (what would be the best-case scenario).

Please let me know your project's resolution and system memory size. I assume you are using the latest Pixel Stretch (1.6) version on Windows.

I tried to find a workaround by turning off GPU rendering (Software Only), changing the exporting codec, or using a Media Encoder, but without success. One that might work for you is exporting your video in shorter chunks and merging them afterward.

PS plugin doesn't utilize GPU rendering.

It's good it's possible to replicate the problem. I have to spend more time and investigate further. I'll let you know when there is a solution.

All the best, Zden