Add Parented Null to Selected Layers
  • How is this supposed to work? The only thing I can do is select a layer, then select the script from the "windows" menu, then the parented null actually gets greated and linked, but also an empty new toolbar opens up, in which I would suspect the properties to be found, but it's just empty. I feel like I'm missing something here.. :)
  • This script does not have a dockable UI so it should be installed in the Script folder.  Please check this FAQ: How to install and run scripts
  • I wish this script had a button I could easily click. I don't like having to go to the drop down menu to use this...

• Great script!
    For Add parent null to each selected layer, is it possible to made an  option to choose where(in comp x,y,z) generate parent null. It would be great to have option that each parent null would be placed in the center of child(or relation regards to child. top left corner, bottom middle..).

thanks for script anyway!
  • :)) funny!! I did not realize I have two different versions. works perfect! thanks again! Its a must for inner peace! :))
  • it would be good if null created in the center of the layers group rather than in the center of the composition
  • it would be good if null created in the center of the layers group rather than in the center of the composition
    Thanks for the feature request, we'll consider it for a future version.
  • Does this still work? The compatibility notes (AE2015.2) and the fact that the last comment is over 2 years old suggests this script has been abandoned.
  • Does this still work? The compatibility notes (AE2015.2) and the fact that the last comment is over 2 years old suggests this script has been abandoned.
    Yes it works, just updated the compatibility tab
  • Suggestions:

1. An option to add a parent null to *each* selected layer, as well as *all* selected layers.
    2. An option to insert a parent null (i.e. when a layer already has a parent, insert the null between the layer and it's parent)
    3.As an additional option for (2).. choose whether to apply the layer's transform values, or it's existing parents transform values to the new parent.
    i.e. if you have an animated layer that already has a parent, you may want to add another null above the layer without disturbing the animation, so you would use the existing parent's transform values for the new parent's transform values (it'll probably make sense if you read it a few times!).

• Suggestions:

1. An option to add a parent null to *each* selected layer, as well as *all* selected layers.

It can already do this! Please use Add Parented Null to Each Selected Layer.jsx

• For your next version, it would be great to have the option to parent a null to a layer that has the same position as the child. 
  • Hello Lloyd, I have been using this script pretty much daily for several years.  So simple and effective.

This isn't a big deal but wanted to know if you or anyone else gets this error.

When using the script in a comp with a single layer, I get the following:

"Unable to execute script at line  50: After Effects error: Can not move a layer before or after itself"

(that's the line that moves the new null)

Wondering if I should just add a conditional "if (myComp.numLayers > 2){..." to bypass the error in a case where the comp only has one layer originally?

thx d
  • Hello Lloyd, I have been using this script pretty much daily for several years.  So simple and effective.

This isn't a big deal but wanted to know if you or anyone else gets this error.

When using the script in a comp with a single layer, I get the following:

"Unable to execute script at line  50: After Effects error: Can not move a layer before or after itself"

(that's the line that moves the new null)

Wondering if I should just add a conditional "if (myComp.numLayers > 2){..." to bypass the error in a case where the comp only has one layer originally?

thx d

Sure but it should be greater than 1:

if (myComp.numLayers > 1) {...

• Hey Lloyd,

This is a really useful script for me. It's saving me a lot of time.

If ever you're doing an update any chance you could do a version with each as a button in a IU panel so that I can dock it somewhere and just have it permanently open?

That would make it even better.

• Hey Lloyd,

This is a really useful script for me. It's saving me a lot of time.

If ever you're doing an update any chance you could do a version with each as a button in a IU panel so that I can dock it somewhere and just have it permanently open?

That would make it even better.

Use KBar, it was designed specifically for this :) https://aescripts.com/kbar