AE Global Renamer 2
  • How to construct new names? without replacing. For example: comp 1, comp 2 etc..

• Eli Co said:
    How to construct new names? without replacing. For example: comp 1, comp 2 etc..
    Turn on the Regex option and enter this in the search field:     .+
    That will match any characters, you can then enter this in the replace field:  comp [num=01]
    And it will rename everything with sequential numbers starting at 1.

• This is super exciting, especially regex and expressions ... 
    But trying the trial, and after first run, the whole "Next/All" section of the panel just disappeared and I had to relaunch it.
    Some kind of bug...

NEVER MIND, it was hidden by the options panel. Doh.
  • Hi Lloyd, great script!

Quick question, is it possible to rename Comments within a Layer Marker? and how about renaming the Flash Cue Point Parameter Name in the Layer Marker too? Many thanks!
  • Hi Lloyd, great script!

Quick question, is it possible to rename Comments within a Layer Marker? and how about renaming the Flash Cue Point Parameter Name in the Layer Marker too? Many thanks!
    Not at the moment although we could add this in a future version. In the meantime you can use: https://aescripts.com/marker-batch-editor/
  • If "Name-[num=10,inc=01] " replaces layers with Name-10, Name-11, Name-12, Name-13, Name-14, Name-15.

What would you input to get decrease in numbering like:  Name-10, Name-09, Name-08, Name-07, Name-06?

• If "Name-[num=10,inc=01] " replaces layers with Name-10, Name-11, Name-12, Name-13, Name-14, Name-15.

What would you input to get decrease in numbering like:  Name-10, Name-09, Name-08, Name-07, Name-06?

This is not currently possible but we will consider adding it as a feature to a future version.
  • Hi! This tool has already saved me so much time and opened up whole new workflows.

When search & replacing expressions, is there a way to account for multiple lines? ie. if there are carriage returns/line breaks in my original expression, is there a way to find them while searching? And can I have them in the new expression as well? Currently the fields for search and replace appear to be one line only, meaning I can only replace the first line of all my expressions.

Maybe there's a clever regex way to do this?
  • Hi! This tool has already saved me so much time and opened up whole new workflows.

When search & replacing expressions, is there a way to account for multiple lines? ie. if there are carriage returns/line breaks in my original expression, is there a way to find them while searching? And can I have them in the new expression as well? Currently the fields for search and replace appear to be one line only, meaning I can only replace the first line of all my expressions.

Maybe there's a clever regex way to do this?
    Depending on your platform you use \r or \n to detect a new line in regex. You can use this to detect any of them: (\r\n|\r|\n)

• Depending on your platform you use \r or \n to detect a new line in regex. You can use this to detect any of them: (\r\n|\r|\n)
    Is there any way to ADD line breaks ?
  • Is there any way to ADD line breaks ?
    ScriptUI doesn't seem to allow entering line-breaks directly but if you copy the lines with linebreaks from a Text Editor it seems to work

Screen Recording 2018-03-08 at 11.50 AM.gif
    736 x 338 - 1M
  • Brilliant! Thanks Lloyd!
  • Hi, i tried to search and replace Expression, all rename for other layer except shape layer. It not replace.
  • Hi, i tried to search and replace Expression, all rename for other layer except shape layer. It not replace.
    Make sure you are using the latest version. If you still need help open a support ticket and include screenshots as well as your AE proj. https://aescripts.com/contact/?direct=1

• the duplicated only 
    doesn't work why?
    open a support ticket and include as many details as possible including screenshots so we are best able to assist you
  • For the name AE Global Renamer, I'm surprised to see that there isn't just that. I would like to change a bunch of layers to the name "shadow". Seems like I have to search before I can rename. The thing is that the layer names are different, so I have to do multiple searches and try a long string of text sometimes just to do something as simple renaming all the layers to "shadow". Am I missing something maybe and you can do just renaming without search? I have the original AE Global Renamer and love it and this looks like a great improvement, but I came hoping for this feature to be added to 2. 
  • For the name AE Global Renamer, I'm surprised to see that there isn't just that. I would like to change a bunch of layers to the name "shadow". Seems like I have to search before I can rename. The thing is that the layer names are different, so I have to do multiple searches and try a long string of text sometimes just to do something as simple renaming all the layers to "shadow". Am I missing something maybe and you can do just renaming without search? I have the original AE Global Renamer and love it and this looks like a great improvement, but I came hoping for this feature to be added to 2. 

There is a Rename mode, just select if from the first pulldown:

• Hi Lloyd,

Is it possible to re-write a file path for clips in the project manager? To re-locate multiple files
  • Hi Lloyd,

Is it possible to re-write a file path for clips in the project manager? To re-locate multiple files
    You can use File Hunter or Batch Search-n-Replace Paths to do this.
  • The compatability doesn't list 2019.  Will this work properly in AE 2019?
  • The compatability doesn't list 2019.  Will this work properly in AE 2019?
    Yes it does, just updated the compatibility
  • Hi Lloyd,

Looks like the new version of AE breaks this script. I'm getting this error "Unable to execute script at line 8. Function c.setDate is undefined"
  • Hi Lloyd,

Looks like the new version of AE breaks this script. I'm getting this error "Unable to execute script at line 8. Function c.setDate is undefined"
    Please undock and close all open scripts and restart AE, then only open AE Global Renamer and make sure you are using the latest version of AE Global Renamer

If you still have issues please open a support ticket
  • Can you change fonts of texts with this?
  • Can you change fonts of texts with this?
    No you can use pt_TextEdit for that
  • Hi, global renamer just renames only the first one of the selected items in the projects panel. It did work previously and i didn't update AE. i use version 2.3
    Do i have to check any of the boxes in the preferences section? and so, wich one?
  • Hi, global renamer just renames only the first one of the selected items in the projects panel. It did work previously and i didn't update AE. i use version 2.3
    Do i have to check any of the boxes in the preferences section? and so, wich one?

please open a support ticket and provide screenshots: https://aescripts.com/contact/?direct=1
  • Hi Lloyd,
    was wondering if it was possible to add a letter suffix to the end of several comp names, iterating through the alphabet. For example the first comp would get the letter A suffix, the second comp, B, third comp,C...........

thanks
  • Hi Lloyd,
    was wondering if it was possible to add a letter suffix to the end of several comp names, iterating through the alphabet. For example the first comp would get the letter A suffix, the second comp, B, third comp,C...........

thanks
    Not currently but we will added to our feature request list
  • Is there a way to copy the saved presets from one machine to another? Thanks.
  • Is there a way to copy the saved presets from one machine to another? Thanks.
    Not officially but if you open a support ticket we can assist you.
  • Moving to a new installation of AE2020 and wanted to download this again. Says there's a new version and a link to instructions on how to upgrade. Link just takes me here with no instructions…  any help?
  • Moving to a new installation of AE2020 and wanted to download this again. Says there's a new version and a link to instructions on how to upgrade. Link just takes me here with no instructions…  any help?

https://aescripts.com/knowledgebase/index/view/faq/how-to-upgrade-to-the-latest-version/
  • how come in such a wonderful plugin there's no option for ascending numerical or alphabetical value?
    i give it a tag- such as "NULL"
    and i can choose to add the proper value i want so it automatically shows me "NULL-1, NULL-2, NULL-3..." or "NULL-A, NULL-B, NULL-C" and so on..

please add it up!
  • tomer kat said:
    how come in such a wonderful plugin there's no option for ascending numerical or alphabetical value?
    i give it a tag- such as "NULL"
    and i can choose to add the proper value i want so it automatically shows me "NULL-1, NULL-2, NULL-3..." or "NULL-A, NULL-B, NULL-C" and so on..

please add it up!

Of course this is supported! Just use the "num" special keyword:

[num=##,inc=##] - will insert a sequential padded number and increment by the optional inc, numbers can be negative, add leading zeros to pad. For example: [num=005,inc=-10] will start numbering at 15 and increase (decrease really) by -10 with 3 number padding: 015, 005, -005, etc

Check out the help for a full list of all the keywords ;)
  • Hi Lloyd!

Is it possible to insert a character in multiple comps?

For example:
    Content 02 Brown
    Content 02 Yellow
    to
    Content 2 02 Brown
    Content 2 02 Yellow

Thanks!

• Hi Lloyd!

Is it possible to insert a character in an excisting comp name without deleten what comes next. I tried renaming it but with no succes.

For example:
    Content 02 Brown
    to
    Content 2 02 Brown

Thanks!

Yes you can do this easily with Regex. Depending on what you are searching through this regex should match any text that has a number between two words and allow you to insert sequential numbering:

Search:  ([A-Za-z]*\s)([0-9]*\s[A-Za-z]*)
    Replace: $1[num=1] $2

• Hi Lloyd!

I've got expressions on my text layers to link the source text to json properties.
    I'd like to change the name of the properties on multiple text layers in multiple comps.
    I selected Search/Rename / Expressions / In Selected Comps in Project Panel but I'm surprized that AE Global Renamer can't find any occurence, unless I select directly the text layer in the comp (with In selected layer in active comp).

Any suggestion ?
    Thanks in advance.
    Cheers
  • Hi Lloyd!

I've got expressions on my text layers to link the source text to json properties.
    I'd like to change the name of the properties on multiple text layers in multiple comps.
    I selected Search/Rename / Expressions / In Selected Comps in Project Panel but I'm surprized that AE Global Renamer can't find any occurence, unless I select directly the text layer in the comp (with In selected layer in active comp).

Any suggestion ?
    Thanks in advance.
    Cheers
    Please open a support ticket and provide a screen recording along with a reduced aep project showing the issue: https://aescripts.com/contact/?direct=1
  • I'm having issues with AE 2021. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't I'm not sure if it's user error or just very poor UI/UX design. This is supposed to be easy but the UI/IX is just a mess and confusing AF!
    How do I rename every layer to this? Track_A [layerindex]

TIA

AND if I've optioned "In selected layers in Active Comp" WHY do I have to use the Search Box to enter layer names???
  • I'm having issues with AE 2021. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't I'm not sure if it's user error or just very poor UI/UX design. This is supposed to be easy but the UI/IX is just a mess and confusing AF!
    How do I rename every layer to this? Track_A [layerindex]

TIA

AND if I've optioned "In selected layers in Active Comp" WHY do I have to use the Search Box to enter layer names???
    The search box will be shown if you have the "Search/Rename" function selected in the first dropdown. Just change it to "Rename" and you won't need to search.

Not sure how much more simple this can be in terms of UI/UX but always open to feedback :)

• Thanks for the reply Lloyd. Noted on the Search/Rename thingy.
  • Hi, I love this plug-in!

Here is my case...

I would like to replace the prefix numbers with of comps in the Project Panel...

3456-Goldcoast
    3457-Goldcoast
    3458-Goldcoast

For another incremental sequence such as:
    123-Goldcoast
    124-Goldcoast
    125-Goldcoast

Thank you so much for your help!
  • Hi, I love this plug-in!

Here is my case...

I would like to replace the prefix numbers with of comps in the Project Panel...

3456-Goldcoast
    3457-Goldcoast
    3458-Goldcoast

For another incremental sequence such as:
    123-Goldcoast
    124-Goldcoast
    125-Goldcoast

Thank you so much for your help!
    Use the 'Search/Rename' function with Regex turned on to search for numbers at the beginning of the name and use the special replace keyword for sequential numbering for replace:

Search: ^[0-9]*
    Replace: [num=123] 

• Thank you so much Lloyd!!!
  • Hi Lloyd, one last thing about this...
    What about in the following case where the numbering will have letters as part of the Prefix?
    EJ:

MUH3456-Goldcoast
    MUH3457-Goldcoast
    MUH3458-Goldcoast

Thank you for your help.
    Have a great weekend.
  • Hi Lloyd, one last thing about this...
    What about in the following case where the numbering will have letters as part of the Prefix?
    EJ:

MUH3456-Goldcoast
    MUH3457-Goldcoast
    MUH3458-Goldcoast

Thank you for your help.
    Have a great weekend.
    Just add the prefix:

Search: ^[0-9]*
    Replace: MUH[num=123] 
  • Hi Lloyd,

I'd like to ask about Uppercase/Lowercase/Capitalize.

Thank you!
  • Max Enrik said:
    Hi Lloyd,

I'd like to ask about Uppercase/Lowercase/Capitalize.

Thank you!
    Unfortuantley that is not supported in this version but it is planned for a new future version.
  • Just wanted to let you know, I've been using AE Global Renamer 2 for a month or so now and I absolutely love it! It's soooo nice to be able to rename things without worrying about breaking any random expressions!