Ease and Wizz
  • Leila At said:
    Hey! I installed the updated version for CC 2017, but most "options" now appear greyed out?
    Hey! Do you have the Curvaceous checkbox turned on? That is only intended to be used when easing a curved path (or a mask path), and intentionally disables "Back" and "Elastic" for technical reasons. Try turning off the Curvaceous checkbox and see if that helps, otherwise please open a ticket and I'll do my best to help out.

Ian

• Will this ever be updated?
  • Will this ever be updated?
    Do you mean: the options being greyed out when Curvaceous is on? If so, the answer is no. Curvaceous is a hack that gets around limitations with overshooting the path (which "Back" and "Elastic" do) by easing the time, rather than the position. It would require mathematics beyond my ability to add that feature.

Ian
  • Hey Ian, is it possible to see the interpolated curves by Ease and Wizz?
    Oli
  • oli monn said:
    Hey Ian, is it possible to see the interpolated curves by Ease and Wizz?
    Oli
    Hi Oli,

Yes – there is a small button that appears on every property that has an expression applied. It allows you to enable a "post-expression graph", meaning that when the timeline is set to graph mode, it renders the curves with the expressions. You can read more about it here.

Ian
  • Is there a way to mimic the text in this trailer with Ease & Wizz? Love it so far!

(Right at 0:08 seconds when the words "UN BREAK ABLE" bounce up and on.)
  • Brad Low said:
    Is there a way to mimic the text in this trailer with Ease & Wizz? Love it so far!

Hi Brad, great show! Yes I think so – I've put together a demo for you.

I've posted the After Effects source file too, so you can see how i built it.

Ian

• Ian Haigh said:
    Brad Low said:
    Is there a way to mimic the text in this trailer with Ease & Wizz? Love it so far!

Hi Brad, great show! Yes I think so – I've put together a demo for you.

I've posted the After Effects source file too, so you can see how i built it.

Ian

You're incredible, thank you so much!!!
  • Hi Ian,

Is there a reason why "end key only" is not an option? I have a scale animation and am looking to have the very last "weight" hit the bottom with a bounce. E&W does this brilliantly, but I have to have the bounce on the first key frame as well (a few weights are added, so it lowers a bit a few times before the final THUMP).

Just looking for a way to isolate that last key frame without having to split a bunch of layers, etc.

Thanks for any help!

• Hi Ian,

Is there a reason why "end key only" is not an option? I have a scale animation and am looking to have the very last "weight" hit the bottom with a bounce. E&W does this brilliantly, but I have to have the bounce on the first key frame as well (a few weights are added, so it lowers a bit a few times before the final THUMP).

Just looking for a way to isolate that last key frame without having to split a bunch of layers, etc.

Thanks for any help!

Hi Kevin, no reason in particular, I just never added it. It should be quite easy to tweak the expression to get this behaviour, though – if you’re happy to poke around in the expression itself.

Start by choosing the type of easing you want, choose “Start and End” for the keys, and then apply the expression to the property. Next, flip open the expression editor and look for a line that reads:

if (n > 1 && n < numKeys -1 ) {

It ought to be line 17, or thereabouts. Edit it so that it reads:

if (n < numKeys -1 ) {
    And now the expression will only apply to the last two keyframes. 

I’ll look into adding this behaviour to Ease and Wizz. If you need any more help please open a support ticket. Thanks for your comment!

Ian
  • Hi just curious if you have done compatibility testing for the new version of AE (2019). Thanks!

-Mike
  • Hi just curious if you have done compatibility testing for the new version of AE (2019). Thanks!

-Mike
    Hi Mike, I'm using Ease and Wizz with AE 2019 on a Mac and haven't encountered any problems. If you find anything that's not working properly, please open a ticket and we can try to get to the bottom of it. 

Ian
  • Thanks, Ian! Cool, I'll try it out.

• Hi, the "Apply" button does not appear, is there a solution? Thank you.

• Hi, the "Apply" button does not appear, is there a solution? Thank you.

make sure you have opened the UI window all the way, if this is not the issue, please open a ticket 
  • Hi Ian, excellent plugin.

I was wondering though, if there was a place I could find more in-depth information on the more complex operations/tweaks available and if you'd consider updating E+W with a larger list of preset/combinations in the future. It's fairly full-throttle where I work so presets are pretty much essential. Sometimes I'd like to combine one ease for the start keyframe and another for the end keyframe, for example, but my expressions knowledge isn't that advanced and doesn't get much chance, these days, to expand....

Cheers 

I was wondering though, if there was a place I could find more in-depth information on the more complex operations/tweaks available and if you'd consider updating E+W with a larger list of preset/combinations in the future. It's fairly full-throttle where I work so presets are pretty much essential. Sometimes I'd like to combine one ease for the start keyframe and another for the end keyframe, for example, but my expressions knowledge isn't that advanced and doesn't get much chance, these days, to expand....

Cheers 

If you would like more control please check out Flow https://aescripts.com/flow

Cheers 
    Hi Jack,

Thank you, I'm glad you find it helpful! As Lloyd has pointed out, Flow is an excellent plugin that lets you apply preset curves like those found in Ease and Wizz, and also allows custom curves to be saved. Flow actually modifies the easing values rather than applying an expression to all keyframes, which means you can use it to affect an arbitrary number of keyframes. Ease and Wizz is limited in terms of how many easing types you can apply to one property.

There are a few combos in the Ease and Wizz popup that allow one type of easing at the beginning and another at the end (e.g. "Expo out, Expo in"). Though I don't know if that covers what you're trying to achieve.

If you want to file a ticket I'd be happy to get into more detail regarding what you're after.

Ian
  • Hello! 
    Does "Ease and Wizz" work if I have After Effects in Spanish?

Greetings and thank you!

• Hello! 
    Does "Ease and Wizz" work if I have After Effects in Spanish?

Greetings and thank you!

Hi Alicia,

Yes it ought to work perfectly with After Effects in Spanish. If you encounter any problems please open a ticket and I'll do my best to help out!

Ian
  • Funny, I new Penner, the ActionScript days when Macromedia Flash was around. I took lessons from him virtually and back then, pretty funny...awesome to see his work still standing strong... :)
  • Funny, I new Penner, the ActionScript days when Macromedia Flash was around. I took lessons from him virtually and back then, pretty funny...awesome to see his work still standing strong... :)
    Hi Thomas, yes I discovered Penner's equations through ActionScript as well. I couldn't understand why these great easing equations weren't available in After Effects! And yeah I agree – it is awesome to see them still going strong :) 

Ian  
  • Hi Ian!

Is there no trail version? :(

Damaris
  • Hi Ian!

Is there no trail version? :(

Damaris
    Hi Damaris!

No there is no trial version – but that is because you can download it for free :) it's a "Pay What You Want" product. If you want to try it out just type in $0. You're welcome to donate later on if you think it's helpful.

Thanks, Ian
  • Planning on updating to be compatible with CC 2020? Thanks in advance!
  • Planning on updating to be compatible with CC 2020? Thanks in advance!

Hi Mike, it's compatible with CC 2020. However I realise that I hadn't updated the product info yet! I've done so now. Thanks for the heads up :) 

Ian
  • Hello this version dont have compatiblility with AE 2020 :( i did the instalation, but not was possible, because there is a mistake. Need help for make it fine please
  • Hi Ian,

was wondering about this: "No there is no trial version – but that is because you can download it for free :) it's a "Pay What You Want" product. If you want to try it out just type in $0. You're welcome to donate later on if you think it's helpful.

Thanks, Ian"

how do we donate? do we just order again and pay second time around or is there a direct donation system?

thanks

Joe
  • not compatible with after effects 2021?
  • chad demoss said:
    not compatible with after effects 2021?
    Hey Chad, I've tested it on AE 2021 and everything appears to be OK. I've updated the product info. Please open a support ticket if there are any problems.

Thanks! Ian
  • Hi Ian,

was wondering about this: "No there is no trial version – but that is because you can download it for free :) it's a "Pay What You Want" product. If you want to try it out just type in $0. You're welcome to donate later on if you think it's helpful.

Thanks, Ian"

how do we donate? do we just order again and pay second time around or is there a direct donation system?

thanks

Joe
    Hi Joe, my apologies for the late reply, I missed your post. Thanks for being an Ease and Wizz user, and thanks for looking into donating, much appreciated!

If you'd like to donate then yes ordering again would be the easiest way. I used to have a direct donation button on my personal site but it got purged in an update … I'll bring it back to life when I get an opportunity.

Thanks, Ian
  • hi~
    tested 2.6.0 is compatible with KBar on macOS
    but not compatible on Windows
  • song meng said:
    hi~
    Hi, can you let me know how you're using it with KBar? I'm only aware of people using the default interface.

Thanks! Ian
  • Ian Haigh said:
    song meng said:
    hi~
    Hi, can you let me know how you're using it with KBar? I'm only aware of people using the default interface.

Thanks! Ian
    just link the script as a kbar button for easy access, like other people do I think
  • [NEW] Under “Keys” you can now choose “End only”.

This is awesome thanks.
  • I love this app. Been using it for years. That's why I'm happy to pay for it again. 

But I wish there was one small tweak - I wish the nomenclature matched the ease naming in After Effects. In this plugin it is opposite AE and it always throws me. I prefer AE's. - I think of AE's as as "Ease IN to the garage" for the end of an action and "ease OUT of the garage" for the start. Ease & Wizz is opposite-land. Can you add a small preference that switches your's around?
  • [NEW] Under “Keys” you can now choose “End only”.

This is awesome thanks.
    Pleasure!
  • I love this app. Been using it for years. That's why I'm happy to pay for it again. 

But I wish there was one small tweak - I wish the nomenclature matched the ease naming in After Effects. In this plugin it is opposite AE and it always throws me. I prefer AE's. - I think of AE's as as "Ease IN to the garage" for the end of an action and "ease OUT of the garage" for the start. Ease & Wizz is opposite-land. Can you add a small preference that switches your's around?
    Thanks for your comment Jeffrey, I'm glad you find it helpful! 

I can see what you're getting at – another user made the same comment not too long ago. Here's what  replied to them:

I think the difference is in the way you think about it – whether you're easing the keyframes themselves, or the space in between

For any easing to occur, you need a start and an end value. Therefore, at least two keyframes. The easing part relates to what happens when you're on your way from one keyframe to another, i.e. the space in between the two values. 

So if you Ease In from keyframe 1 to keyframe 2, it will start slowly and stop abruptly, at its maximum speed. Similarly, if you Ease In and Out from key 1 to key 2, it will accelerate, hit maximum speed halfway, and decelerate at the end. The easing portion refers to what happens in between the keyframes.

… but that's mainly to explain my thinking; I don't expect everyone to think like me :)

I think a preference would be a good way to solve it. I'm a bit slammed with my day job/parenting but I'll add to to my todo list.

Thanks for your comment and for using E&W, I appreciate it! 

Ian
  • song meng said:
    Ian Haigh said:
    song meng said:
    hi~

Thanks! Ian
    just link the script as a kbar button for easy access, like other people do I think
    Hi Song, can you open a support ticket so we can pursue this further? I'm still not sure what you mean, as I think of KBar as being primarily for headless scripts, whereas E&W has a UI.

Thanks! Ian
  • For some reason it will NOT update using the aescript+aeplugins updater. Silly.
  • For some reason it will NOT update using the aescript+aeplugins updater. Silly.
    Sorry to hear that, Claus. You can open a support ticket if you’d like further help, or try following the manual install instructions that are included in the readme PDF.

Ian
  • Hello,

I work on a MAC at my new job and im trying to get Eaze and Whizz to work. 

I downloaded the newest version, followed the instructions on the PDF as it states to place the "easingExpressions" folder AND the "Ease and wizz.jsx" files into "ScriptUI Panels" folder.

But when I try to apply eaze and wizz, I get the error "I can't find this file: 'inOutExpo-easeandwizz-all.js' ...

Makes sense why AE can't find it, because all the files in the "easingExpressions" folder are .txt files, is this right? 

How do I get this script to work

Running:
    macOS Catalina
    version 10.15.7

Mac Pro

• I'm having an issue where the BACK property doesn't work on a text animation. I typed out text, Applied an animation preset - (Effects & Presets>Text>Animate In>Straight In By Word), and applied Ease and Wizz to the Range Selector keyframes with "Back", "In + Out", and "All" selected. The text should move into place and overshoot the end position, but it doesn't overshoot at all.

I swear this used to work, but it doesn't anymore. Any ideas? I made it work using position keyframes for the text position, but I'd rather not have to set positions for the text in order to get Ease and Wizz to affect it.
  • Hello,

I work on a MAC at my new job and im trying to get Eaze and Whizz to work. 

I downloaded the newest version, followed the instructions on the PDF as it states to place the "easingExpressions" folder AND the "Ease and wizz.jsx" files into "ScriptUI Panels" folder.

But when I try to apply eaze and wizz, I get the error "I can't find this file: 'inOutExpo-easeandwizz-all.js' ...

Makes sense why AE can't find it, because all the files in the "easingExpressions" folder are .txt files, is this right? 

How do I get this script to work

Running:
    macOS Catalina
    version 10.15.7

Mac Pro

Hi Sonny, my apologies for the late reply – I missed the email notification on this one. It sounds like you might have two different versions of Ease and Wizz … it used to expect .js files, but I changed it to expect .txt files because Windows was flagging them as potentially harmful. My suggestion would be to install using the official aescripts.com installer:

If there are still problems then it’s best to open a ticket and I can help you out further. 

Ian
  • Ron Coy said:
    I'm having an issue where the BACK property doesn't work on a text animation. I typed out text, Applied an animation preset - (Effects & Presets>Text>Animate In>Straight In By Word), and applied Ease and Wizz to the Range Selector keyframes with "Back", "In + Out", and "All" selected. The text should move into place and overshoot the end position, but it doesn't overshoot at all.

I swear this used to work, but it doesn't anymore. Any ideas? I made it work using position keyframes for the text position, but I'd rather not have to set positions for the text in order to get Ease and Wizz to affect it.
    Hi Ron

Without seeing how it’s set up, I suspect that you won’t achieve the effect you’re after by doing it that way. You’d need to use an expression selector, something like the following:
    function outBack(t, b, c, d) {
    	s = 1.70158;
    	return c*((t=t/d-1)*t*((s+1)*t + s) + 1) + b;
    }

var bounce_duration = 1;
    var bounce_offset = 0.08;

thisOffset = bounce_offset * textIndex;

var t = linear(time, inPoint + thisOffset, inPoint + bounce_duration + thisOffset, 0, bounce_duration);

outBack(t, 100, -100, bounce_duration);

Use this expression as an "expression selector" rather than using a range selector and hopefully this will be close to what you're after.

Ian
  • why is it when i add a wiggle expression, E&W stops working? 
  • why is it when i add a wiggle expression, E&W stops working? 
    Hi Jason

After Effects will only allow you to have one expression on a property at once. To get around this limitation, you could try parenting your layer to a null and applying the wiggle expression to that.

Ian
  • Great software which has been invaluable to my working process over the years. Thanks for continually updating!
  • Hi Ease and Wizz, please upodate to work with Ae 2023 please big please!!!!!!
  • Great software which has been invaluable to my working process over the years. Thanks for continually updating!
    That's great to hear Douglas, thank you! Ian