Flatten Layers

• imageFlatten Layers

Group and flatten layers without pre-rendering! The selected layers will be flattened to a single layer in the background without any quality loss or rendering. Easily switch between the flattened and unflattened layers.

https://aescripts.com/flatten-layers/

• Looks cool! Can you name/rename the "groups"?
  • Looks cool! Can you name/rename the "groups"?
    In this version, the flattened(grouped) layer can be renamed in the timeline.
    With your idea, in the next version, the groups names in the extension UI will probably be synchronized with the changed name in the timeline (Or it can be named/renamed on the UI).
  • Can you group anything?  If I work with Element 3D and have tons of Nulls, can I group the Nulls from different Instances together to speed things up?  Or say I just want to group the whole project into one group as Full and 29 FPS before waiting for pre-render or rendering it out, is that possible?  And of course, thank you for this!  I'll purchase regardless since it will speed up a lot of my projects.
  • Can you group anything?  If I work with Element 3D and have tons of Nulls, can I group the Nulls from different Instances together to speed things up?  Or say I just want to group the whole project into one group as Full and 29 FPS before waiting for pre-render or rendering it out, is that possible?  And of course, thank you for this!  I'll purchase regardless since it will speed up a lot of my projects.
    The extension is based on flattening the layers. It converts all the selected layers into a group and creates PNG sequence from them (during the work area). Now even if the layers are null, they will be grouped (with rendering process). In the next versions, I will try to make a plan so that grouping can be done without rendering too.
  • I tried free version and set the FPS to 30 and click the create button and my cursor turns in a sand clock cursor immediately and its not going away. I doesnt allow me to do any work not even letting me to take the screen shot. Please resolve the issue as I really like the concept of plugin.
  • would be nice, if I could select a output folder. Rightnow it goes to the Project Folder, which in my case the harddrive is not fast for footages.
  • I can't continue working because the other Composition Windows are nomore updating. They are just Gray AE HUD is. (AE18.0.0, 2021)
  • I can't continue working because the other Composition Windows are nomore updating. They are just Gray AE HUD is. (AE18.0.0, 2021)
    Please open a support ticket so I can help you.
    Note that do not create a flatten layer until the Previous flattening process is complete.
  • I tried free version and set the FPS to 30 and click the create button and my cursor turns in a sand clock cursor immediately and its not going away. I doesnt allow me to do any work not even letting me to take the screen shot. Please resolve the issue as I really like the concept of plugin.
    The adjusted frame rate on the extension should be less than the composition frame rate.
    If you have any Issue, please submit a support ticket.

• Great job! I guess you know that, but it would be super-cool if switching on/off the proxy sequence would be possible when being outside the composition where the flattened PNGs are next to original layers ;)
    OR other idea, if there would be a switch with option to render with original layers / flattened layers (turning on flattened layers in every pre-comp which is used in main comp would be painful when there will be 10+ png-sequences all around the project ;)
  • Rav Szy said:
    Great job! I guess you know that, but it would be super-cool if switching on/off the proxy sequence would be possible when being outside the composition where the flattened PNGs are next to original layers ;)
    OR other idea, if there would be a switch with option to render with original layers / flattened layers (turning on flattened layers in every pre-comp which is used in main comp would be painful when there will be 10+ png-sequences all around the project ;)
    thank you, It's a good idea. Controlling flattened layers outside the pre compositions.
    I try to do it.
  • It's great tool for messy project.

Can you update it with selectable saved png sequence folder.
    now, my AE project folder is mess with so much created holders.
    I want to save them into 1 more deeper holder.

thanks.  
  • asa kusa said:
    It's great tool for messy project.

thanks.  
    Do you mean to create a folder on project folder and save the holders folder in it? Or should the user choose the path folder?
    Anyway, I will put it in the new update.
  • asa kusa said:

thanks.  
    Do you mean to create a folder on project folder and save the holders folder in it? Or should the user choose the path folder?
    Thank you. I want to put png files into specific holder which I correct All Pre Render movies. 

And also I have one more question.

Once I make a Group 1, then I need to change original layers, I understand to push de-select Group 1 button in the script menu,
    but after re-edit all layers, How should I do it?

Should I delete old "group 1" png sequence layer?
    or make "group 2" png sequence instead?

If there was a re-create button, It might be more useful. 

Also I want you to make it Release button which can be delete all marker and Link in the future update.
    When I delete png sequence group, All layers remain markers.

thanks, and it's great tool anyway!
  • I have one more request for you!

Now, All png sequence files are named 01.02.03......  
    but this name cause an issue about re-link files when I move seq holders to my render video folder.

I think it's better to use unique name, like "[Comp Name]  [Group 1]  [frame number] "   

I appreciate if you make these functions include "Delete button & Re-Create button".

Thank you.

• asa kusa said:
    asa kusa said:

thanks.  
    Thank you. I want to put png files into specific holder which I correct All Pre Render movies. 

And also I have one more question.

Once I make a Group 1, then I need to change original layers, I understand to push de-select Group 1 button in the script menu,
    but after re-edit all layers, How should I do it?

Should I delete old "group 1" png sequence layer?
    or make "group 2" png sequence instead?

If there was a re-create button, It might be more useful. 

Also I want you to make it Release button which can be delete all marker and Link in the future update.
    When I delete png sequence group, All layers remain markers.

thanks, and it's great tool anyway!
    In such cases, if your layers are flattened and you want to change the original layers, you must delete the previous flattened layer and re-create the new flatten layer.
    By removing the flattened layer using the remove button on the extension, all markers of the original layers are removed.
  • asa kusa said:
    I have one more request for you!

but this name cause an issue about re-link files when I move seq holders to my render video folder.

I think it's better to use unique name, like "[Comp Name]  [Group 1]  [frame number] "   

I appreciate if you make these functions include "Delete button & Re-Create button".

Thank you.

I'm sorry for the delay. 
    I appreciate your suggestion. Unique naming for png sequence files will probably be included in the next update.
    Given that you can delete the old flattened layer and create a new flatten layer again (after changing the original layers), is there a need to add a "Delete button & Re-Create button"?
  • asa kusa said:
    I have one more request for you!

Thank you.

I'm sorry for the delay. 
    I appreciate your suggestion. Unique naming for png sequence files will probably be included in the next update.
    Given that you can delete the old flattened layer and create a new flatten layer again (after changing the original layers), is there a need to add a "Delete button & Re-Create button"?
    Thank you for replying.

I think it's better to add a Delete button & Re-create button.

Delete button would be very useful to delete unused flatten layers.
    Also, Re- Create button helps to avoid many unused png sequence files in my AE project folder.
    Off course I can correct used files after project is done, but delete button and re-create button helps easier. 

thank you
  • Hi Masoud Ghazi, does this lossless png created by Flatten Layers have the same quality if I render png sequence in the render queue, for example, if I set it to the full quality and the same frame rate as my comp?
  • Hi Masoud Ghazi, does this lossless png created by Flatten Layers have the same quality if I render png sequence in the render queue, for example, if I set it to the full quality and the same frame rate as my comp?
    Hi Rafi,
    Yes, the flattened layers have the same quality If you set the full quality on the extension settings.
  • Hi there! Superb script!
    Wanted to suggest these, please:

1. The ability to custom choose your Temp folder for the renders.
        Best thing would be that the script displays the location where it's easy to see, to prevent users rendering into a different project's folder if they
        forgot to switch. Maybe a "right click+Show in explorer" option on the green "Group" buttons- could be useful as well as a quick check up?  

2. The ability of the rendered sequence to adapt the exact blending mode of the replaced original layers. (I understand there may be issues if you     
        choose to flatten, say, 2-3 layers that have different blending modes for each. Not sure what would happen, but I believe this should be tested out!).
        I'm writing this after watching your tutorial video minute @3:30 where you switch the blending mode yourself. And I didn't understand if the script
        rendered the exact final effect which the reflection layers had combied? Or if you had to switch blending mode manually to get the same effect of your
        original reflection layers. That's why I suggested this feature, But maybe it could cause confusion on the user's end. Not sure.  

3. A checkbox option to enable the script to color index the original layers + the rendered layer in a similar random/or chosen color, so they pop out,
        showing they're related. [Of course, all these tiny suggestions demand a separate settings window to open up from the script]. 

4. Seems like you can't fully work when the sequence is rendered. Ctrl+Z doesn't apply as probably the script itself comes in the way? It's critical.

5. A small button to stop the rendering process is much needed. I mistakenly rendered 35sec instead of 5sec because I forgot to modify the In-Out
        points. This could totally happen to anyone when you're in the flow of working. And now, I gotta wait a long time till it ends rendering And I can't fully 
        work cause Ctrl-Z isn't working.  

6. Seems like the FPS are reset back to 24 within every AE launch. Is it possible for the script to remember your last FPS choice?

Thank you for listening! I'm trusting that you will evolve this script to the state it should be at. So much potential! :) 
  • Hi, I have a question for you

Im working on 29.97fps(non drop) in my comp.

Then how should I change Flatten per Sec "29.97" ?
    It seems I can only type 29 or 30 fps.
    When I set to 29 on this project, 
    I found that the last 1frame is short.(trimmed)

• asa kusa said:
    Hi, I have a question for you

Im working on 29.97fps(non drop) in my comp.

Then how should I change Flatten per Sec "29.97" ?
    It seems I can only type 29 or 30 fps.
    When I set to 29 on this project, 
    I found that the last 1frame is short.(trimmed)

Hi,
    Thank you for reporting this issue.
    This issue solved in the new version(v2.2).
  • elad bari said:
    Hi there! Superb script!
    Wanted to suggest these, please:

1. The ability to custom choose your Temp folder for the renders.
        Best thing would be that the script displays the location where it's easy to see, to prevent users rendering into a different project's folder if they
        forgot to switch. Maybe a "right click+Show in explorer" option on the green "Group" buttons- could be useful as well as a quick check up?  

2. The ability of the rendered sequence to adapt the exact blending mode of the replaced original layers. (I understand there may be issues if you     
        choose to flatten, say, 2-3 layers that have different blending modes for each. Not sure what would happen, but I believe this should be tested out!).
        I'm writing this after watching your tutorial video minute @3:30 where you switch the blending mode yourself. And I didn't understand if the script
        rendered the exact final effect which the reflection layers had combied? Or if you had to switch blending mode manually to get the same effect of your
        original reflection layers. That's why I suggested this feature, But maybe it could cause confusion on the user's end. Not sure.  

3. A checkbox option to enable the script to color index the original layers + the rendered layer in a similar random/or chosen color, so they pop out,
        showing they're related. [Of course, all these tiny suggestions demand a separate settings window to open up from the script]. 

4. Seems like you can't fully work when the sequence is rendered. Ctrl+Z doesn't apply as probably the script itself comes in the way? It's critical.

5. A small button to stop the rendering process is much needed. I mistakenly rendered 35sec instead of 5sec because I forgot to modify the In-Out
        points. This could totally happen to anyone when you're in the flow of working. And now, I gotta wait a long time till it ends rendering And I can't fully 
        work cause Ctrl-Z isn't working.  

6. Seems like the FPS are reset back to 24 within every AE launch. Is it possible for the script to remember your last FPS choice?

Thank you for listening! I'm trusting that you will evolve this script to the state it should be at. So much potential! :) 
    Hi Elad,

Thank you very much for your suggestions.
    Your feedback really helped to improve the extension.
    All your suggestions reviewed and applied in the new version(v2.2).

Regarding the mentioned issues, the following items were added:
    -The ability to custom choose your Temp folder.
    -The ability to show created PNG sequences folder in explorer.
    -The ability to change the path of the created PNG sequences folder.
    -Apply a similar random color to flattened layers.
    -Ctrl+Z fixed.
    -And some other bugs fixed.

I will try to find a way to flattening the layers on blending mode and use it in the next update.
    Thanks again for your excellent comments and helpful suggestions.
  • Is it possible to use different format then 8-bit png? At least something with 16-bit with alpha (like tiff or exr).
  • A great script that saved me a lot of render waiting time.
     Much to my dismay, when I displayed the PNG sequence folder in Explorer, I saw a jumble of numbers instead of the file names in order as I wanted. 
     I would like to add a function to rename PNG sequence folders and PNG sequence files, and the number after PNG sequence can be increased to 3 digits so that sorting is not messy
    Thank you for listening!
  • A great script that saved me a lot of render waiting time.
     Much to my dismay, when I displayed the PNG sequence folder in Explorer, I saw a jumble of numbers instead of the file names in order as I wanted. 
     I would like to add a function to rename PNG sequence folders and PNG sequence files, and the number after PNG sequence can be increased to 3 digits so that sorting is not messy
    Thank you for listening!
    Hi, Thank you for your good suggestion. We will try to resolve this issue in the next update
  • Mark Lowe said:
    Is it possible to use different format then 8-bit png? At least something with 16-bit with alpha (like tiff or exr).
    Hi.
    I also need files with alpha. 
  • I am trying for the projects and its working great. One issue I have is this changes the label color. And the way I work is heavily dependent on the label color. Could this be fixed, so it wont change the label color. I am using trial version for now before purchasing.
  • Come back to us, Masoud.
    Get this script going back on the road plz! 
  • elad bari said:
    Come back to us, Masoud.
    Get this script going back on the road plz! 
    Hi dear Elad,
    Thanks again for your ideas
    What do you think I should do?
  • I am trying for the projects and its working great. One issue I have is this changes the label color. And the way I work is heavily dependent on the label color. Could this be fixed, so it wont change the label color. I am using trial version for now before purchasing.
    Hi,
    In the next update, I will try to solve this problem.
  • This tool is really handy! Cant wait to see what v3 brings. It would be cool if you could name & rename the groups.

Thanks so much! This is already even without the changes an awesome tool. Although I would be happy to pay for an upgrade if new features would be available. 
  • I am trying this again and it still changes the layer color. This is the very important to me that it should not change the layer color
  • 1. I tried and compare rendering and bringing back the image sequence in after effects of a 4k comp 8sec long and same wiht FlattenLayers, its a client project.

It takes 2:52 in rendering and bringing the image sequence but it takes 3:56 in FlattenLayers.

I am not sure but I feel FlattenLayers isnt taking multicore benifits, as my cpu usage during FattenLayers is normal at 10-14%.

2. As mention before Labels color is still changing. It should not.

3. It makes wierd folder name with 4 digits number. It should take project name, comp name and then group name or something like that so that it would be easy to identify

This script would be very practical once it would do rendering fast as it do have much practical features already like choosing quality and frame rate easily, ability to turn off and on the groups easily, it put markers to identify the group its talking about, and we can delete things easily

• 1. I tried and compare rendering and bringing back the image sequence in after effects of a 4k comp 8sec long and same wiht FlattenLayers, its a client project.

It takes 2:52 in rendering and bringing the image sequence but it takes 3:56 in FlattenLayers.

I am not sure but I feel FlattenLayers isnt taking multicore benifits, as my cpu usage during FattenLayers is normal at 10-14%.

3. It makes wierd folder name with 4 digits number. It should take project name, comp name and then group name or something like that so that it would be easy to identify

This script would be very practical once it would do rendering fast as it do have much practical features already like choosing quality and frame rate easily, ability to turn off and on the groups easily, it put markers to identify the group its talking about, and we can delete things easily

Hi Mayank,
    Please open a ticket so I can send you the new version to try before the new update is released.
    Some bugs have been fixed in this version.
     Also, changing the color of the layers has also been removed.

Thanks
    Masoud Ghazi from MotionCodes

Hi Mayank,
    Please open a ticket so I can send you the new version to try before the new update is released.
    Some bugs have been fixed in this version.
     Also, changing the color of the layers has also been removed.

Thanks
    Masoud Ghazi from MotionCodes
    Do you have an ETA for the new update?

No rush; I know these things take time, but I do like the concept of this extension. I just feel the current version of it (2.2) needs an updated UI and, as stated by others, should be looked at to ensure it doesn't render too slow.

Still, thanks for the extension.
  • Hello, 

what is the limitation for the trial version? 
    thx in advance 
    Gabriele
  • Hello, 

what is the limitation for the trial version? 
    thx in advance 
    Gabriele
    Hi,The trial version has all the features with a 10-day usage limit.
    Cheers,
    Masoud
  • I would like to suggest an update. The current interface is simple and user-friendly, but I would appreciate having a bit more customizable settings. For instance, although layer colors are automatically changed when grouped, it complicates restoration when decomposing and recreating them. Since it's sufficient to recognize groups by layer tags, I suggest implementing a feature where only the color of export layers can be specified, while avoiding changes to layer colors for other purposes.