• Hi there! Can you add function to animate paths in groups, not only separate paths? I got 8 same path in subgroups, and script animates only first one.
  • Hi there! Can you add function to animate paths in groups, not only separate paths? I got 8 same path in subgroups, and script animates only first one.
    Hey! We're open to every feature request you have in mind! 

Could you please specify what you mean by 8 same paths? What would be your desired behaviour?

If you have multiple paths that should be triggered individually, separate them onto different layers and tick the "Seperate Layers" checkbox in the script. In any other way they are treated as one combined path shape.

I got this seven(sorry) shapes in one group. When i push Reveal button, only one shape is animated.
    And when i made them separate, they were animated same time, not staggered.

I got this seven(sorry) shapes in one group. When i push Reveal button, only one shape is animated.
    And when i made them separate, they were animated same time, not staggered.
    Hey!

As I can tell from your Screenshot, your Branching Radius isn't big enough for your other paths to be triggered by your first one. You now have to options:

1.) Use a bigger branching radius
    Use a branching radius that is at least as big as the distance between the single paths so that they are even able to trigger each other

2.) Add a guide / trigger path
    You can add an additional path to your shape layer that is going vertically crossing through all of your others paths. This additional path would be used just for triggering the others ones sequentially and may then be hidden again.

If that still doesn't work, maybe you found a bug! If that's the case, please open a support ticket and we'll look into that as soon as possible! This should be an easy job for foxReveal :-)

Best!
    Philipp from foxScripts
  • Hi! This looks great - I'm wondering if it's possible to wipe the paths off in the same way you reveal them, i.e. a continuation of the movement starting at the source, erasing the lines after you drew them on. Is there maybe something like a global path offset option? Thanks
  • Hi! This looks great - I'm wondering if it's possible to wipe the paths off in the same way you reveal them, i.e. a continuation of the movement starting at the source, erasing the lines after you drew them on. Is there maybe something like a global path offset option? Thanks
    Hey Dominik!

Great idea. There is no option to offset the whole path structure so far, if that's what you mean.
    You can of course animate the complete trim from 100 to 0 but I think that's not the result you want, am I right?

The only option to do, what I think you mean, is to duplicate your layer, reveal it regularly and set this layer as an "Inverted Alpha" matte.

Maybe we can think about building a new feature for a future version. If you like, send us a mail with your feature request and an example of the desired behaviour to [email protected]. Then we can add it to our feature wish list! :-)

Best
    Philipp from foxScripts

• On my machine, the minimum width of the UI panel appears to be around 840px wide. It then stops scaling horizontally.
    Most of my scripts are between 200-250px only. I can't use this panel at this size. Any chance you could please update the minimum UI width?

Also, is it possible to use default AE fonts for the Add Source, Reveal Paths, Trigger buttons? I find them hard to read.

Thanks!
  • Wade Ha said:
    On my machine, the minimum width of the UI panel appears to be around 840px wide. It then stops scaling horizontally.
    Most of my scripts are between 200-250px only. I can't use this panel at this size. Any chance you could please update the minimum UI width?

Also, is it possible to use default AE fonts for the Add Source, Reveal Paths, Trigger buttons? I find them hard to read.

Thanks!
    Hey!

Our UI has a min-width of 250px, as you can eventually see in the tutorials.
    If you compare your appearance of the ui on your machine to the one in the tutorials, is it different?

If it is, and the UI Problem still appears even after restarting the script and AE, please open a support ticket and we'll try to fix it!
    Same goes for the Buttons. But maybe we add a switch in the Help panel for a future release to use regular Buttons instead of the IconButtons, if you like!

Best
    Philipp from foxScripts
  • Is there any chance this would work in CS6 or might support it in the future?
  • Would be great to have a smaller UI, which would not take so much space in the AE UI. I did the image only to visualise my problem. We even could do a pro view where only icons will be visible. 

And having a scrollbar would be great as well, Because now I do not know if something has opened like Settings or not.

• Just got foxReveal and I'm liking it so far, however, is there a way to add a reveal and then add a disappear? For example I would like to add animation to my paths using foxReveal but then I'd like to be able to have them disappear from the same start location...or a different one using the same style of animation. Maybe this is possible and I'm just missing how it could be done?
    Hey Dominik!

Great idea. There is no option to offset the whole path structure so far, if that's what you mean.
    You can of course animate the complete trim from 100 to 0 but I think that's not the result you want, am I right?

The only option to do, what I think you mean, is to duplicate your layer, reveal it regularly and set this layer as an "Inverted Alpha" matte.

Maybe we can think about building a new feature for a future version. If you like, send us a mail with your feature request and an example of the desired behaviour to [email protected]. Then we can add it to our feature wish list! :-)

Best
    Philipp from foxScripts

Yes offsetting the whole path structure is what I meant! Cool, I'll drop you a mail with a request. A lot of the time people will want to be able to wipe things on and then off again ;)
    Another question though - been working with it for a day and all works great, set up an animation using 5 different fox reveal scripts in one comp, closed the project and when I got back to it the next day all the UI panels are gone and I don't know how to get them back and tweak or bake the animation? Also when they were all there, they were all called the same and impossible to distinguish as they didn't reference the layers (i.e. foxReveal Point 1, foxReveal Point 2 etc)

Thanks!
  • Hi Folks! :-)

Thanks a lot for your great response and all the amazing feedback we get on this!
    To answer some of your questions:
    Tim K K said:
    Is there any chance this would work in CS6 or might support it in the future?
    Since our algorithm is based on some of the new path functionality added in CC2018 sadly it's not possible to achieve a compatibility with earlier versions. (CC14, CS6 or earlier.
    Would be great to have a smaller UI, which would not take so much space in the AE UI. I did the image only to visualise my problem. We even could do a pro view where only icons will be visible. 

And having a scrollbar would be great as well, Because now I do not know if something has opened like Settings or not.
    Thanks a lot for your UI draft :-)
    Since we try to develop our products to match the needs of all AE users, this may be a great way to match the needs of all the power users. Maybe it can be compressed even further? To a toolbar? Either way, we'll work on that and it has been placed on our feature wish list. Thank you!
    Just got foxReveal and I'm liking it so far, however, is there a way to add a reveal and then add a disappear? For example I would like to add animation to my paths using foxReveal but then I'd like to be able to have them disappear from the same start location...or a different one using the same style of animation. Maybe this is possible and I'm just missing how it could be done?
    Hey Blair!

Currently that's not supported from within our script itself but it can easily be achieved by:
    1. Duplicating your layer and the corresponding source layer
    2. Positioning your new source where you want your "disappear" to be starting from
    3. Hitting "Reveal Paths" again, this time while selecting your duplicated layer + duplicated source
    4. Setting the duplicated layer as an "Inverted Alpha Matte" of your original layer.
    Can you follow along? At the same time we are developing a cleaner way of doing something like this, without the need of an alpha matte!
    Yes offsetting the whole path structure is what I meant! Cool, I'll drop you a mail with a request. A lot of the time people will want to be able to wipe things on and then off again ;)
    Another question though - been working with it for a day and all works great, set up an animation using 5 different fox reveal scripts in one comp, closed the project and when I got back to it the next day all the UI panels are gone and I don't know how to get them back and tweak or bake the animation? Also when they were all there, they were all called the same and impossible to distinguish as they didn't reference the layers (i.e. foxReveal Point 1, foxReveal Point 2 etc)

Thanks!
    That sounds kind of weird. What do you mean by disappearing UI Panels? 
    Usually there should be only one foxReveal Panel within your UI. From there you can access all of your sources within your comp.
    Be sure to watch the "Advanced Tutorial" to get to know more about how to manage multiple sources :-)

And by the way - You can easily rename every source the way you want. They will still be identified as sources by the script.

Hope that will solve all of your questions, but if you still experience any other behavior, feel free to open a support ticket and report the behavior that way!
  • Hey! Within the first 10 minutes this plugin has already saved me a couple hours of tedious trim pathing. 

But the UI is massive in my workspace. This is the smallest I can make the panel in cc2018 while being able to read everything. This is something I could see having in my everyday workspace but definitely not at this size.

• Hi

any thoughts on using Foxreveal on Arabic Typography?
  • It would be great if user can add predefined easing types before running script, or as option after baking.
  • You can see from the attachment that the UI is only scaling down horizontally to around 840px then it stops. 

Also, separate from this issue: when I do the following FoxReveal doesn't work.
    1. Copy curves from Illustrator onto a Solid in AE (creates masks)
    2. Convert masks to shape layers
    3. Add strokes to shape layers
    4. Add Source from FoxReveal
    5. Select shape layers and click Reveal Paths (loading box pops up and 2 keyframes are created, but nothing is animated) 
    Could naming be the issue? Within Contents of shape layer, paths are named Mask 1, Mask 2, etc. 
    Shape layer > Contents > Mask 1 > Path
  • Hi! Can you help me with this problem?
    I tried to follow your way that shows in the youtube tutorial, but when I clicked the 'reveal paths' button then the error message appeared.
    It says "This project contains expression errors:" so I cannot see any animation of shape layer.
    I'm using After effects cc 2015, not trial version.

The way that I followed was this.

1. create a path in the shape layer.
    2. press the 'add source' button and move controller.
    3. click the shape layer again and press 'reveal paths' button.
    4. error message came out...

• Hey! Within the first 10 minutes this plugin has already saved me a couple hours of tedious trim pathing. 

But the UI is massive in my workspace. This is the smallest I can make the panel in cc2018 while being able to read everything. This is something I could see having in my everyday workspace but definitely not at this size.
    Wade Ha said:
    You can see from the attachment that the UI is only scaling down horizontally to around 840px then it stops.
    Hello both of you!
    Thanks a lot for reporting these UI issues! We are already working on a UI rewrite to make the UI more compact and versitale in any AE workspace!
    Stay tuned :)
    Wade Ha said:
    Also, separate from this issue: when I do the following FoxReveal doesn't work.
    1. Copy curves from Illustrator onto a Solid in AE (creates masks)
    2. Convert masks to shape layers
    3. Add strokes to shape layers
    4. Add Source from FoxReveal
    5. Select shape layers and click Reveal Paths (loading box pops up and 2 keyframes are created, but nothing is animated)
    Could naming be the issue? Within Contents of shape layer, paths are named Mask 1, Mask 2, etc.
    Shape layer > Contents > Mask 1 > Path
    Thanks a lot for reporting this behavior! There seams to be an incompatibility with the "rd_MasksToShapes" Script that converts Masks to Shapes. Thanks to your report, we are working on that! Meanwhile try to use the following workflow:
    1. Save your paths as an Illustrator file (.ai)
    2. Import into After Effects
    3. Drag it into your comp and convert it to a shape layer this way
    This should help. That's the way we have worked when utilizing illustrator paths.

Hi

any thoughts on using Foxreveal on Arabic Typography?
    Should work beautifully. Just be aware that you need the paths for your typography to be able to reveal them!
    It would be great if user can add predefined easing types before running script, or as option after baking.
    Thanks a lot for your suggestion! Are you aware that there already is a "Linear" and "Ease" switch inside the reveal setting?
    Here we plan to add more options from Robert Penners Easing Types (Ease And Wizz's Easing Types) like "Cubic", "Quadratic" in the future.

Hi! Can you help me with this problem?
    I tried to follow your way that shows in the youtube tutorial, but when I clicked the 'reveal paths' button then the error message appeared.
    It says "This project contains expression errors:" so I cannot see any animation of shape layer.
    I'm using After effects cc 2015, not trial version.

The way that I followed was this.

1. create a path in the shape layer.
    2. press the 'add source' button and move controller.
    3. click the shape layer again and press 'reveal paths' button.
    4. error message came out...

Hey! Sadly our script is only compatible with After Effects CC2018 and up, since with this version new path expressions have been added to After Effects, allowing us to analyze the paths of your shape layer. Please take a look at our compatibility tab on the product page for further information.
  • Hello there!
    This product idea is great.
    (Sorry, I am using a translation tool to communicate with you! 

I would like to ask: Does it not support the graphics created by Illustrator "brush tool", can only support the path drawn by the "pen tool"?
    I use the Brush Tool to create graphics, import AEs, and convert them into shapes.
    Now find the problem: the generated animation, with "black color" filled in the graph, what is the reason?
  • Hello there!
    This product idea is great.
    (Sorry, I am using a translation tool to communicate with you! 

I would like to ask: Does it not support the graphics created by Illustrator "brush tool", can only support the path drawn by the "pen tool"?
    I use the Brush Tool to create graphics, import AEs, and convert them into shapes.
    Now find the problem: the generated animation, with "black color" filled in the graph, what is the reason?
    Hello art design!

Thanks a lot for your comment! Since After Effects natively doesn't support Illustrator Brushes as Strokes you can only do it this way:

1. Duplicate your brush tool strokes inside Illustrator and put the duplicate on a seperate layer
    2. Convert the brush tool strokes to regular strokes
    3. Now adjust your stroke radius to cover up the whole brush tool stroke
    4. Import the .ai file into After Effects and convert the regular stroke layer to shapes
    5. Use foxReveal to reveal your regular strokes
    6. Set this layer as an Alpha Matte for your original brush strokes
    The last part of this workflow is also demonstrated in our introduction tutorial! Here you can also see the regular stroke layer covering up the tapered stroke layer and revealing it.

Did that help you? If you have any further questions, feel free to ask or send us a mail at [email protected] if you would love us to do a tutorial on that exact workflow.

• Hi, I've just purchased this product. A really useful tool!

I'm trying to understand the functionality of the "Trim Multiple Shapes" option in a shape layer .

I have a simple shape layer with two separate paths which are revealing as expected. Selecting "Trim Multiple Shapes" between "individually" and "simultaneously" has no effect.

I guess I was expecting this option to either reveal both paths at the same time or stagger them.

Can you please advise the correct usage of this option? I have watched the tutorials but didn't see this mentioned.

thanks

• Hi, I've just purchased this product. A really useful tool!

I'm trying to understand the functionality of the "Trim Multiple Shapes" option in a shape layer .

I have a simple shape layer with two separate paths which are revealing as expected. Selecting "Trim Multiple Shapes" between "individually" and "simultaneously" has no effect.

I guess I was expecting this option to either reveal both paths at the same time or stagger them.

Can you please advise the correct usage of this option? I have watched the tutorials but didn't see this mentioned.

thanks

Hey Gregory!

Thanks a lot for your comment! With foxReveal you don't have to set up anything within the shape layer itself :-)

The option "Individually" and "Simultaneously" is not an option provided by foxReveal. It's an option by the default "Trim Path" effects that comes with AE.
    And since it isn't needed for the functionality of the script it hasn't been utilized by the script.

You can of course bake all your animation and experiment any way you want, but if you want to "stay on the tracks" of the script, you don't use it :-)

Our script has a loth of other options, as you may know from the tutorial, like "First Path" & "Closest Path" or "Seperate Paths" & "Combined Shape".

Does that answer your question? If you have any further behavior you are missing from foxReveal, feel free to request a feature to our wish list, by simple writing a short mail to [email protected]

Best!
    Philipp from foxScripts

• Amazing stuff, thanks for this! I mean, I see it happening before my eyes, and still can't believe it. Works flawlessly. Please make a condensed dockable version in the next release!

EDIT: An UNBAKE option would be terrific as well!
  • Hi guys!
    I'm enjoying the script a lot, but I cant seem to get it to work for shapes I've drawn with tools like the rectangle too. Stuff i bring in from AI or shapes I draw with the AE pen work fine though. Am I missing something or is this just the way it works?
  • Hello,

I cant get it to work with AE 16.1.2

I think its broken.

When I select revel paths the button lights up but nothing happens
  • Hi guys!
    I'm enjoying the script a lot, but I cant seem to get it to work for shapes I've drawn with tools like the rectangle too. Stuff i bring in from AI or shapes I draw with the AE pen work fine though. Am I missing something or is this just the way it works?
    Hey Kenton!

Curently foxReveal only works with bezier paths, becuase generator paths (rectangle, circle, star ...) are not accesable by AE's Scripting API. We are planning a workaround for a future release, but as off today you have 2 options:

1) Convert your shapes to bezier paths (Right Click and slect "Convert to Bezier Shape")

2) Create and import your paths from Adobe Illustrator, because imported paths are always bezier paths

As you said, bezier works fine and this is currently "the way it works" yes!

Hello,

I cant get it to work with AE 16.1.2

I think its broken.

When I select revel paths the button lights up but nothing happens
    Hey Raul!

Thanks for letting us know! As far as we know everything is working just fine, but in case you are experiencing any other behavior please open a support ticket so we can help :-)

Best!
    Philipp from foxScripts

• Hello,

Ive been experiencing a problem with the paths revealing. The path would begin revealing from the source and stop suddenly on one side, leaving the other side to loop around back. It looks awkward. Is there a reason for this? Im on the latest After Effects on a mac desktop.

Thanks for the help,

Aubrey
  • Hi-- I'm experiencing Expression errors after I apply it. I brought in an Illustrator file, converted it to a Shape layer, added the Source and, when I hit Reveal Paths, it processes it, but I keep getting this error on every layer w the Expression:
    "Expression Disabled. Error at line 1 in property "Start' of layer 2 (foxreveal scrolls Outlines') in comp "Scrolls Reveal".
    property or method named 'null' in Class 'Array' is missing or does not exist. It may have been renamed, moved, deleted, or the name may have been mistyped."
    Can you please help?
    (on Mac OS 10.12.2, AE CC 2017)

Thanks!!
    Jenny

• Hi-- I'm experiencing Expression errors after I apply it. I brought in an Illustrator file, converted it to a Shape layer, added the Source and, when I hit Reveal Paths, it processes it, but I keep getting this error on every layer w the Expression:
    "Expression Disabled. Error at line 1 in property "Start' of layer 2 (foxreveal scrolls Outlines') in comp "Scrolls Reveal".
    property or method named 'null' in Class 'Array' is missing or does not exist. It may have been renamed, moved, deleted, or the name may have been mistyped."
    Can you please help?
    (on Mac OS 10.12.2, AE CC 2017)

Thanks!!
    Jenny

Hey Jenny!

Please open a support ticket for this and attach some screenshots + your project file (or a stripped down version of it) for us to be able to reproduce the problem.
    We will figure out what's wrong there :-)

Best!
    Philipp from foxScripts
  • Hi! I can't figure it out where is the problem. Can you help me?
    (sorry, I can't put an image, here is the link with a screenshot with the problem) https://misho.d.pr/gjAcjE
    I think is from the original design, but I dont know how to use Illustrator to fix the design.. Any ideas?
  • Hi! I can't figure it out where is the problem. Can you help me?
    (sorry, I can't put an image, here is the link with a screenshot with the problem) https://misho.d.pr/gjAcjE
    I think is from the original design, but I dont know how to use Illustrator to fix the design.. Any ideas?
    Hey Hernan!

Please open a support ticket for this to figure out what's wrong!

Best!
    Philipp from foxScripts
  • Are you able to adjust the point of origin, so the animation star can be offset?
  • I tested it to make a text appear like hand-drawn, but when I convert the text into shape and reveal it with foxReveal the result is terrible and nothing like the demo. Tested with an ai file, but the result is the same. Any tips?
  • I have a feature request. 

Could you add an option to draw each line sequentially, instead of simultaneously.

Meaning, the order and direction of the drawing would be the same, but the next path would only start revealing when the previous one finished.

This is the type of result I'm looking for: https://streamable.com/lgl8z

• Hi 
    I just purchased your script because it is a really great timesaver....

However can't get the branching to work like in your demos. I made a shape layer with only lines and everything should reveal from up to down. It's a really simple shape and I followed your instructions (See the shape here)

I'm using cc2020...What am I doing wrong?

Update: tried other examples...it seems its not working at all like promised. Wouldn't recommend the script like this.

• Awesome script! No idea how you coded that path branching logic but it is amazing. Anyway, is there anyway to trim off screen after trimming on? Most of the time I'm revealing something, but then I also need it to animate off and I'd rather have it trim off from where it started rather than trimming off by reversing the fox reveal keyframes. 
  • Awesome script! No idea how you coded that path branching logic but it is amazing. Anyway, is there anyway to trim off screen after trimming on? Most of the time I'm revealing something, but then I also need it to animate off and I'd rather have it trim off from where it started rather than trimming off by reversing the fox reveal keyframes. 
    Hi Jeremy!

Thanks a lot for your feedback! Currently, it's not supported by foxReveal. We have a new release in mind which should include more features including this, but currently our algorithm is only able to reveal it "forward". But actually we are also thinking of a complete rewrite of the core in order to support more features like this, but it will take some time...  

Workaround in the meantime:

1.) Duplicate your path structure
    2.) Set it as an Alpha Inverted Matte for your original path structure.
    3.) Reveal your second path structure to let the first path vanish like it appeared

Hope that helps as a workaround! Wish you all the best!
    Philipp from foxScripts

• Hello there,
    I have an issue with the foxreveal plugin. I purchased it, installed it, but when trying to apply it to reveal shape strokes, nothing happens.
    When clicking "add source" a source is applied. However when I press "reveal path" nothing happens at all. I tried to increase the "radius" of the "foxreveal point" - still without success.

I also reinstalled the plugin v1.1.

Still nothing happens...

Any idea?

Best,
    Christian
  • I am having the same problem as Christian. Exactly the same problem, a source is added, but nothing happens when pressing "Reveal Paths". Using AE 2020 and MacOS 10.13.6.

Thanks for any help, FoxReveal rocks when working! I have used it before updating to AE 2020 and it worked flawlessly.

Thanks so much!
  • It appears that the only time it doesn't work is when using the shapes tool (Q) to create shape layer paths. If I draw with the pen tool or use it on lines imported from Illustrator, FoxReveal works as expected. Just a little glitch I guess! Just thought I'd give you more info that I discovered.

Thanks!
  • Hi Suzanne! Hi Christian!

Thanks a lot for your comments!

The only thing that foxReveal doesn’t support and sadly never supported is using AE‘s built-in shape generators like Rectangles, Ellipses or Stars. These should be converted to bezier paths in order for foxReveal to be able to analyze it.
    Sadly this is a limitation by After Effects Scripting Engine, but we are working on a workaround!

Like you said, Suzanne, using it on bezier paths should work just fine.

Hope that helps you out and you can continue enjoying foxReveal :-)

If something is still not working be sure to open a support ticket.

We will take care! So far, we've solved any occurring problem :-)

Best!
    Philipp
  • Wondering if there's any way to reverse the direction of the reveal?
    This would make paths reveal towards the source rather than away from it. 
  • My branching paths are being triggered before the main brance reaches their initial start point.
  • My branching paths are being triggered before the main brance reaches their initial start point.
    Hey Karl!

Make sure to set the branching radius as well as the sampling points according to your shapes to avoid paths being triggered before you want them to.
    Maybe the tutorials (introduction and advanced) will help you.

If you have face any other difficulties or have any further questions feel free to open a support ticket.

Wondering if there's any way to reverse the direction of the reveal?
    This would make paths reveal towards the source rather than away from it. 

Hey Nathan,

currently, that's not supported yet. The only way to accomplish that is using the following workflow:

1.) Duplicate your path structure
    2.) Set it as an Alpha Inverted Matte for your original path structure.
    3.) Reveal your second path structure to let the first path vanish like it appeared

Hope that helps as a workaround! Wish you all the best!
    Philipp from foxScripts

• does it work on AE 2021?
  • does it work on AE 2021?

Hey Rogerio,

Yes. It works with all versions of AE since CC 2018!
    We just forgot to update the compatibility information… ;-)

Best!
    Philipp
  • Are you planning to keep updating the script? Thank you!
  • Are you planning to keep updating the script? Thank you!
    Hey Elias!

Yes we will. It is compatible with all versions of AE since 2018 and we'll update regularly as it is still the best options for generating quick, clean and easily customizable path reveals!

Best
    Philipp
  • Cant get trial to work - using a single path and still get error "Trial Version is limited to 5 paths"

Please advise

AE 18.4 / Big Sur 11.4