• Hello,
    I'm getting an error message whenever I try to use Gifgun:  "Unable to execute script at line 3212. Null is not an object". 
    I have updated to AE 2021 (I had the same error message in 2020 version) and have updated to Gifgun 1.7.18. Any advice would be appreciated!

Hi Amy,

Dropbox is messing up with the system folders and that doesn't let GifGun to function properly.

Nik
  • Hey Nik,

Do you have a version that is compatible with team projects yet?

your reply to Dalton in March 2020 suggested that this is something you might be able to help with,

Cheers.

• in AE 2021 V18.2.1 not working
  • I'm getting an "Engine Error" message. I've tried installing and unstalling the script multiple times along with restarting. I'm on Windows 10. AE 2021 and using the latest version of gifgun: 1.7.18 Help.
  • Hey Extrabite guys,

recently I've started getting the "Engine Error" on WIN10/AE20. No gif export possible. Gifgun: 1.7.18.
    Hoping the issue will be solved soon?

Please advice with possible solutions!

Thank you!
  • Ve Do said:
    Hey Extrabite guys,

recently I've started getting the "Engine Error" on WIN10/AE20. No gif export possible. Gifgun: 1.7.18.
    Hoping the issue will be solved soon?

Please advice with possible solutions!

Thank you!
    Hi, Ve! 

Have you tried reinstalling?

Nik
  • deelly mu said:
    I'm getting an "Engine Error" message. I've tried installing and unstalling the script multiple times along with restarting. I'm on Windows 10. AE 2021 and using the latest version of gifgun: 1.7.18 Help.
    Hi deely,

I've been trying to recreate the issue, but since I have only the fresh AE installation, everything works as expected.
    Please try to clear AE preferences and see whether that helps:

The possible fix is to flush After Effects preferences. Here's how to do it:

1. Go to the After Effects Preferenсes -> General (Edit -> Preferences on Windows and After Effects -> Preferences on macOS)
    2. Find a "Reveal preferences in explorer" button on the bottom of the General tab
    3. Explorer or Finder is going to be opened and the correct file preselected for you
    4. Without doing anything to the file, close AE
    5. Open the file with text editor (notepad)
    6. Find text block called ["Settings_GifGunPrefs"]
    7. Remove the whole block and its settings, there are going to be about 20+ lines to remove
    8. Save Changes to the text file
    9. Open After Effects

If you do not care for other After Effects preferences, you may just skip steps 5 to 9 and remove the preferences file AFTER you close After Effects.
  • Mac OSX 11.4 / After Effects 2021 18.2.1 / Gif Gun 1.7.17
    Allowed scripts to write files and access network, enabled debugger. (both have moved into 'Scripts and Expressions' in preferences)

Gif Gun no longer shows up under the Window menu. Can't find the GifGun UI panel anywhere.
  • Since the newest after effects update (v18.4) on mac i get the following error: Unable to execute script at line 4965. null is not an object.

I did see the reaction on June 4th concerning dropbox back up but i do not have a back up set up so sadly that probably isn't it.
    I also reinstalled GifGun but it gave the same error after the process.
  • I have the same problem on mac (big sur,11.2.3). After effects 18.4, GifGun 1.7.18d

No Dropbox installed

Since the newest after effects update (v18.4) on mac i get the following error: Unable to execute script at line 4965. null is not an object.

I did see the reaction on June 4th concerning dropbox back up but i do not have a back up set up so sadly that probably isn't it.

• AE crashes any time i try to lunch GIFGUN from the UI panel, I already tried the "delete preferences" from the text editor but that doesn't solve the problem. Uninstalled and reinstalled everything multiple times but nothing changes, still crashes as soon as i lounch it
  • Started getting the "Unable to execute script at line 4965. null is not an object" error. All other scripts run fine. I don't have dropbox backup setup (I do have dropbox but this feature is not enabled). I've uninstalled and reinstalled the plugin. On Mac OS Big Sur. This was working fine a few days ago. GifGun seems to be the only script not working. Also seems to be after updating to latest AE (18.4).
  • Since the newest after effects update (v18.4) on mac i get the following error: Unable to execute script at line 4965. null is not an object.

The same here, I just updated Ae to the latest version (Big Sur here 11.4, Ae 18.4) and latest Gifgun. Unable to execute script at line 4965.
    So. I believe will be an update for gif gun to fix it?
  • I made a support Ticket about it and they promptly reply with a quick fix, and told me that they are updating their installers so we will have an update soon.
    So, if you have the same problem, I suggest you to open a ticket about.
    ;)
  • I keep getting this error message on windows, on the latest version of After Effects.

Execution of the Windows Script Host failed. (Access is denied.)

Anyone else been having this issue? Or any ways on how to solve it?
  • Would be good to disable the autosave before it creates, this is a pain if you have lots to do. Not the 'open render queue' one you can alter in settings, but GifGun seems to have its own.
  • Hello, sorry for troubling you, but GifGun seems to always be stuck at 99% of the process.
    I tried waiting for it to reach 100% but with no success.

The plugin is at its 1.7.19 version
    After effects is the 18.4.0 version
    The Hardware is an M1 Mac Mini with macOS Big Sur 11.5.1

Thank you.

• Hello, sorry for troubling you, but GifGun seems to always be stuck at 99% of the process.
    I tried waiting for it to reach 100% but with no success.

The plugin is at its 1.7.19 version
    After effects is the 18.4.0 version
    The Hardware is an M1 Mac Mini with macOS Big Sur 11.5.1

Thank you.

Hi Filippo,

There might be some issues with M1 Macs that we can't work on at the moment because there is no official release of AE for arm processors yet.
    In General, the following procedure should help you:

First, do the test with 300 by 300 pixels 3 seconds long composition. If it works, then you just need to give GifGun more time to compile the animation. Long compositions with large resolutions tend to take more time to compile.

Also, uncheck "Keep Alpha" or "Use Experimental Engine" and select [UPDATE PRESETS] option in the Render Preset dropdown. That might help to get things running. If that does not work, please contact us and we are going to help.

Nik
  • Would be good to disable the autosave before it creates, this is a pain if you have lots to do. Not the 'open render queue' one you can alter in settings, but GifGun seems to have its own.
    Hi Mark,

This is After Effects behavior that triggers before the render. But aside from that, we do that even in BG Renderer that does not employ the After Effects rendering directly to ensure consistency. I understand this might be a pain on the larger projects though.

Nik
  • I keep getting this error message on windows, on the latest version of After Effects.

Execution of the Windows Script Host failed. (Access is denied.)

Anyone else been having this issue? Or any ways on how to solve it?
    Hi Carlo,

This is pretty weird to be honest and we haven't seen this issue for years. You may want to check you host files:

Nik
  • Unable to execute script at line 5361. 

I have been getting this error for a couple of weeks. I have tried everything. 
    Set After Effects Workspace to Default, uninstall gifgun, reinstall after effects and nothing has worked. How can i fix this?

• Hi, I keep on getting the following error message whenever I try to open Gifgun currently:

"Unable to execute script at line 528. Execution halted."

It's worked fine in the past, so I'm not sure what happened, whether it's the update or Adobe.
  • Is there someone I can contact directly to help me work out my issue. Possibly via screen share. I have been trying to fix it for several months. I have uninstalled and reinstalled, ran updates, everything is installed correctly, etc. nothing works. The error I consistently get is:

"Unable to execute script at line 4965"

I have the most recent Adobe CC suite, the most recent Gif Gun, and I am on iOS Big Sur.

Please help.
    Screen Shot 2021-09-14 at 12.16.52 PM.png
    354 x 143 - 17K
  • How to set the file name of gifgun export?
  • I had also been experiencing the "Unable to execute script at line 4994" error for months.

I just realized that there was an updated version of GifGun released on July 22, 2021 which I hadn't been aware of.  Downloading & installing the new version finally fixed the issue.  Yay!
  • I have the same issue and the tip in the tutorial doesn't help at all.

The animation is a simple curled white stroke without any feathering on the edges. When exporting to giff, the edges look bad, like pixilated, no matter the combination of settings. Any other tips to solve this?

Nik Ska said:
    imageI cant seem to get the gif to look as good as if it were exported from PS. Any help please?

Hi Maximillian,

This is Nik from the team Extrabite. PS and GifGun use two vastly different approaches to the GIF animation with alpha channel, but the general rule stands true: GIF as a format does not support alpha transparency variations - pixels are either fully on or fully off. 
    You may use this trick to make your GIFs alpha-ready: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ysFKdMqZ_c

Nik

• I am having trouble the gif seems to be much a darker and pale colour, I think this is from the mov. Even happens if I got lossless. When I set up a render as png sequence it wont see that setting, any thoughts
  • I'm having similar problem as described below: "unable to execute script"; all up to date, both AE and GifGun. Reinstall doesn't help. Any solutions yet?
  • Currently running into an old issue with the an error message to "copy (gifGun) folder to the script location" 

Not sure if I can fix it on my end or a new version of  gifGun need to be made. 

Currently running After Effects 2022, Version 22.0
    GifGun Version 1.7.20
  • Hello.
    I tried to make animation with transparent background from mov video 60 seconds long.
    I get a 10 second piece of animation.
    is there a limit on animation duration?
  • Installed trial version for AE2022.
    I'm unable to uncheck "Resize to Width" checkbox.
  • Doesn't want to work with AE2022... I've installed the Aescripts installer hoping it'd fix the issues... am I doing something wrong?

UNABLE TO EXECUTE SCRIPT AT LINE 3212. null is not an object [OK]

I hope this is just  n00b question!!!!!
  • Doesn't want to work with AE2022... I've installed the Aescripts installer hoping it'd fix the issues... am I doing something wrong?

Hi William,

Please update GifGun to the latest version using the provided installer. We've tested it on all systems + AE2022 and GifGun is compatible.

Nik
  • Installed trial version for AE2022.
    Hi Pavel,

Resize option is disabled in Trial mode.

Nik
  • Hello. I tried to make animation with transparent background from mov video 60 seconds long. I get a 10 second piece of animation. is there a limit on animation duration?
    Hi Vasyl,

There is no limit for GIF duration, though I guess the renderer fails for some reason. 60 seconds GIF + alpha would result in a huge file. Please open a support ticket so we could work on your specific composition.

Nik
  • Currently running into an old issue with the an error message to "copy (gifGun) folder to the script location" 

Not sure if I can fix it on my end or a new version of  gifGun need to be made. 

Currently running After Effects 2022, Version 22.0
    GifGun Version 1.7.20
    Hi Jason,

This is a pretty rare issue that may be caused by the reinstall process. Try to manually remove GifGun.jsxbin and (gifGun) folder to then reinstall using the provided installer.

Nik
  • I am having trouble the gif seems to be much a darker and pale colour, I think this is from the mov. Even happens if I got lossless. When I set up a render as png sequence it wont see that setting, any thoughts
    Hi Richard,

To be honest, we've never experienced a gamma shift in GIFs made with GifGun. Please send us these cases as a support ticket. 

Nik
  • Nik Ska said:
    Installed trial version for AE2022.
    Hi Pavel,

Nik
    It IS checked and it IS enabled in Trial mode. It works, which I dont want. It cannot be unchecked. So I need to change resize value to get the 1:1 scale.
  • Nik Ska said:
    Installed trial version for AE2022.
    Hi Pavel,

Nik
    It IS checked and it IS enabled in Trial mode. It works, which I dont want. It cannot be unchecked. So I need to change resize value to get the 1:1 scale.
    Hi Pavel,

Again, you can't change the Resize to Width parameter while still in Trial mode - this is GifGun's inherent limitation. Only 350px gifs for Trial. The full version does not have this limitation.

Nik
  • It doesn't work with newest versions of After Effects (neither with AE2021 nor AE2022). I've lost ability to use GifGun entirely as I keep my Adobe Suite up to date and there's no way to reverse software on Adobe Cloud.
  • Nik Ska said:
    Doesn't want to work with AE2022... I've installed the Aescripts installer hoping it'd fix the issues... am I doing something wrong?

Hi William,

Please update GifGun to the latest version using the provided installer. We've tested it on all systems + AE2022 and GifGun is compatible.

Nik
    Nik, I've read all over the internet. Your last GifGun version IS NOT COMPATIBILE with newest Adobe versions and neither reinstalling now manually creating Script folders fixes the problem. I've updated GifGun via aescripts manager to the version 1.7.20 and tested it both on AE 2021 and AE 2022 and it simply doesn't work with the same error line as mentioned by William.
  • It doesn't work with newest versions of After Effects (neither with AE2021 nor AE2022). I've lost ability to use GifGun entirely as I keep my Adobe Suite up to date and there's no way to reverse software on Adobe Cloud.
    Please reinstall GifGun and make sure you are using the latest version, 1.7.20

Nik
  • Nik Ska said:
    Doesn't want to work with AE2022... I've installed the Aescripts installer hoping it'd fix the issues... am I doing something wrong?

Hi William,

Nik
    Nik, I've read all over the internet. Your last GifGun version IS NOT COMPATIBILE with newest Adobe versions and neither reinstalling now manually creating Script folders fixes the problem. I've updated GifGun via aescripts manager to the version 1.7.20 and tested it both on AE 2021 and AE 2022 and it simply doesn't work with the same error line as mentioned by William.
    As stated in the initial reply, you have to use GifGun's own installer, not the manager app. We keep our tools up to date and use them daily on a wide variety of machines so I am 100% confident it is tested. 
    After Effects may mess up with preferences after updates so we generally advice to reinstall the tool using .exe or .pkg you get when purchasing GifGun.

Nik
  • Hi, having a problem where it keeps saying "copy gifgun folder to the script location" and only exports a AVI. Is there a fix for this? I reinstalled GifGun and restarted my computer i am using AE 2022 and windows 10 facing this issue after AE update from 2021 to 2022
  • Hi, having a problem where it keeps saying "copy gifgun folder to the script location" and only exports a AVI. Is there a fix for this? I reinstalled GifGun and restarted my computer i am using AE 2022 and windows 10 facing this issue after AE update from 2021 to 2022
    Hi Samuel,

Please make sure you are using the 1.7.20 installer. It installs files properly to the 2022 folder.

Nik
  • Hi there,

Gifgun keeps telling me my render que needs to be empty to render, then it adds my gifgun comp to the que then gives me the same message over and over in an infinity loop. 

I've used gifgun on many projects before but it doesn't seem to be working today. I've restarted my mac, open closed, i've updated presets like it asked, no results. 

Ae. 18.4.2 Build 4. 

Need response asap as it's for a client. 

Cheers,

• Not working in AE 2022 & I've installed the latest version using GifGun's own installer. This is the error code I am receiving:
    "Unable to execute script at line 3212, null is not an object"

I am on a new MacBook Pro M1 Max, 64 GB RAM, OS Monterey 12.0.1

Thanks.
  • How do I completely uninstall this? I can no longer open After Effects 2020.
  • I having the same problem with Ae 2021, 18.4.1
  • I having the same problem with Ae 2021, 18.4.1

Not working in AE 2022 & I've installed the latest version using GifGun's own installer. This is the error code I am receiving:
    "Unable to execute script at line 3212, null is not an object"

I am on a new MacBook Pro M1 Max, 64 GB RAM, OS Monterey 12.0.1

Thanks.
    Hi! Sorry for the delayed response.

Here's the sequence to clean the preferences that might have been corrupted during an update and restore GifGun to default:

1. Go to the After Effects Preferenses -> General (Edit -> Preferences on Windows and After Effects -> Preferences on macOS)
    2. Find a "Reveal preferences in explorer" button on the bottom of the General tab
    3. Explorer or Finder is going to be opened and the correct file preselected for you
    4. Without doing anything to the file, close AE
    5. Open the file with text editor (notepad)
    6. Find the text block called ["Settings_GifGunPrefs"]
    7. Remove the whole block and its settings, there are going to be about 20+ lines to remove
    8. Save Changes to the text file
    9. Open After Effects

If you do not care for other After Effects preferences, you may just skip steps 5 to 9 and remove the preferences file AFTER you close After Effects.