• Unfortunately I had to remove 3DX from my recent project as it killed responsiveness in AE and also totally stopped multi processing from working - AE would just sit there forever saying it was initialising background processes but never started rendering. I had to manually add multiple layers the old way which then worked fast and with no problems.

So something definitely wrong with something in there - either effects or expressions etc.

I've not tried with a simpler project. Mine had probably 70-80 layers in 3D and I had a few shape layers (5) with lines connecting the layers along the Z axis - the shapes were quite large though - around 50000 pixels tall. Not sure if that was an issue - AE is pants when it comes to accurate 3D and doesn't like larger shapes I've found in the past. However, it worked OK without the 3DX applied.
  • Ben,
    Does your 3D Extruder work with image layers? If not, can you add that feature in a future version?
    Cheers
    Shanty

• Hi Shanty,

Yes it does work with image layers.

Best,

Ben.
  • Hi Paul,

Sorry to hear you're having problems with 3DX. It probably is to do with the size and complexity of the project. Without seeing how you've structured it, it's difficult to say - but of course it's very easy with 3DX to add A LOT of 3D layers quickly - more than you ever could manually, and if you're using a lot of lights, and having all of those stacked 3DX layers respond to lights, then it can cause a long render. All 3DX does is create a stack of 3D layers.

One way that a 3DX stack differs from a manually built one is the expressions. Prior to After Effects CC 2014 the way that expressions were cached could cause unnecessarily long render times if RAM is running low. In After Effects CC2014, there is a setting that improves the processing of expressions massively. The default is for this setting to be off though. If you're using CC2014 drop me a line and I can send you a script that you can use to easily turn this preference on. That may help things somewhat.

In terms of the responsiveness while you work with 3DX, the Edit Mode switch is designed to allow you to interact with 3DX layers quickly.

Hope that helps.

Best,

Ben.
    Unfortunately I had to remove 3DX from my recent project as it killed responsiveness in AE and also totally stopped multi processing from working - AE would just sit there forever saying it was initialising background processes but never started rendering. I had to manually add multiple layers the old way which then worked fast and with no problems.

So something definitely wrong with something in there - either effects or expressions etc.

I've not tried with a simpler project. Mine had probably 70-80 layers in 3D and I had a few shape layers (5) with lines connecting the layers along the Z axis - the shapes were quite large though - around 50000 pixels tall. Not sure if that was an issue - AE is pants when it comes to accurate 3D and doesn't like larger shapes I've found in the past. However, it worked OK without the 3DX applied.

• Good morning, I'm having an issue where when I hit the "Extrude" button, the script goes to work, but I end up w a ton of 259x222 comps. Hitting the "Up-rez" button doesn't help as I have to hit it so many times it just bogs down Ae, as well as misplace all my other text layers. Any solution for this? Thanks in advance for your response; below are my specs.

imageAdobe Ae CC 12.2.1.5
    Mac OS X: YOSEMITE (10.10.5(14F27))
    Mac Pro (Late 2013)
    3.7 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon E5
    12 GB 1866 MHz DDR3 ECC
    AMD FirePro D300 2048 MB
  • It's not working for me :(... I click the extrude button and nothing happens.

My specs:

iMac 27"
    OS X 10.11.1
    After Effects CC 13.6.0.165

Please help!
  • These guys have amazing customer support.  I had a question and literally within 5 minutes of sending the email I got a response.  Problem fixed.  Awesome.
  • Will this work with CC2016? It hasn't been updated in 3 years...
  • Does this work in adobe cc 2015?  I own a license and it doesn't seem to work at all.  Thanks for your answer.
  • my problem:

The preference folder was found, but I'm not able to write to it. Please check that the "Allow scripts to write files and access network" After Effects preference is checked.And if that doesn't work, please check your access privileges to your user account.

Any ideas?

• Will this work in CC2019? Also, does it work on precomps?

• Hi Ben
    Is this product still supported? I've had it for a couple of years and use it a lot, but I've noticed that in recent versions of AE (2018+) it's become unreliable. I also notice that the current version was last updated in 2013, hence my query.
    Cheers,
    Pete
  • does not function in AE 2020? /* Copyright (c) 2016 Interaktiva rum Sverige (Interactive rooms Sweden) Website: http://www.interaktivarum.se/en Permission is hereby granted, free of charge, to any person obtaining a copy of this software and associated documentation files (the "Software"), to deal in the Software without restriction, including without limitation the rights to use, copy, modify, merge, publish, distribute, sublicense, and/or sell copies of the Software, and to permit persons to whom the Software is furnished to do so, subject to the following conditions: The above copyright notice and this permission notice shall be included in all copies or substantial portions of the Software. THE SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED "AS IS", WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO THE WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE AND NONINFRINGEMENT. IN NO EVENT SHALL THE AUTHORS OR COPYRIGHT HOLDERS BE LIABLE FOR ANY CLAIM, DAMAGES OR OTHER LIABILITY, WHETHER IN AN ACTION OF CONTRACT, TORT OR OTHERWISE, ARISING FROM, OUT OF OR IN CONNECTION WITH THE SOFTWARE OR THE USE OR OTHER DEALINGS IN THE SOFTWARE. */ /* The color filters are defined in external SVG file rgblind.svg, located in same folder as this CSS file. Use this CSS file when injecting both the CSS style rules and the SVG filters into the HTML document. */ .protanopia{ filter: url('#protanopia'); -webkit-filter: url('#protanopia'); color-interpolation-filters:sRGB; } .deuteranopia{ filter: url('#deuteranopia'); -webkit-filter: url('#deuteranopia'); color-interpolation-filters:sRGB; }

• Hey is anyone using this on 2020? tempted to buy but seeing some people having issues?? Thanks
  • Can't get to the the beginning of the script.

"Unable to execute script at line 1. Book is undefined"

Can't open this on AE 2021 despite this being the latest 3D Extruder version. On Windows - any ideas?

I'm getting this exact same error. Is there something I can do to resolve, or is a fix in the works?

I'm getting this exact same error. Is there something I can do to resolve, or is a fix in the works?
    Same here!
  • Same here.
    Please fix this bug.
  • It doesn't work on AE 2021...

Can't open this on AE 2021 despite this being the latest 3D Extruder version. On Windows - any ideas?
    I'm having this exact same issue. I think the reason why it's happening is because the latest version of the file is an alias for whatever reason. But an alias doesn't work!

I'm having this exact same issue. I think the reason why it's happening is because the latest version of the file is an alias for whatever reason. But an alias doesn't work!
    The same thing here, appear a text box with "Unable to execute script at line 1. book is undefined". I try open the other old releases of the script, but appear a Script Alert "The beta version expired on Wed Jun 30 2021 23:59:59 GMT-0500", and that's all. My AE is CC2018. Please, Help!

Hi Scott, Please excuse the delay responding. The latest update fixes the issue. I've also attached it here for good measure. 

The same thing here, appear a text box with "Unable to execute script at line 1. book is undefined". I try open the other old releases of the script, but appear a Script Alert "The beta version expired on Wed Jun 30 2021 23:59:59 GMT-0500", and that's all. My AE is CC2018. Please, Help!
    Hi Marcos, the latest download solves this issue. Please excuse the delay responding. -Ben.
  • The new fix works like a charm! (Ae 2021) Thank you Ben for the update!
  • VECTORS OR JUST TYPE?
  • Hi Ben,

just downloaded the trial for a test, but I get an error whenever I try to open it. 

3D Extruder: Err.

There was an error that I couldn't overcome. Please contact support.

Using CC20 Catalina

Thanks!

Miguel