• Jon --- said:
    Hi Daniele,
    Trying out your plugin and I'm curious if I'm missing something or if what I'm trying to do is just really difficult. I'm animating the width axis (narrow to wide, which is simple enough) but I'm also attempting to animate character scale to keep the overall width of the word equal throughout the width axis change, and it seems to be just about impossible to sync those two things up. Any advice?
    Hello Jon, technically you are able to animate both axis and scale at the same time, if not with the conventional parameters, definitely with animators

If you need technical support with this issue, please open a support ticket using the link below:

Hope this helps
    Many thanks
    Dani
  • Will you add AE 2021 support for the plugin?
  • Jon --- said:
    Hi Daniele,
    Trying out your plugin and I'm curious if I'm missing something or if what I'm trying to do is just really difficult. I'm animating the width axis (narrow to wide, which is simple enough) but I'm also attempting to animate character scale to keep the overall width of the word equal throughout the width axis change, and it seems to be just about impossible to sync those two things up. Any advice?
    Hello Jon, technically you are able to animate both axis and scale at the same time, if not with the conventional parameters, definitely with animators

If you need technocal support with this issue, please open a support ticket
    Hello Timo
    Good question! Yes, it is, sorry I haven't updated the compatibility section on the product page - I'll do that right away

Any questions please let us know
    Hello Timo
    Good question! Yes, it is, sorry I haven't updated the compatibility section on the product page - I'll do that right away

Hi,

I get some weird error on AE 2021:

....!../ThirdParty/wxwidgets_Mac_3.1.4/include/wx/ctrlsub.h(158): assert ""!items.IsEmpty() "" failed in Insertitems(): need something to insert

[01] TextDialog::OnVariChange(wxCommandEvent)
    [02] wxEvtHandler::SearchDynamicEventTable(wxEvent)
    [03] wxEvtHandler::ProcessEventLocally(wxEvent)
    [04] wxEvtHandler::ProcessEvent(wxEvent)
    [05] wxWindowBase::TryAfter(wxEvent)
    [06] wxEvtHandler:: ProcessEvent(wxEvent)
    [07] wxEvtHandler::SafelyProcessEvent(wxEvent)
    [08] wxCheckBox::OSXHandleClicked(double)
    [09] -[NSApplication(NSResponder) sendAction: to: from: ]
    [10] -[NSControl sendAction: to: ]
    [11] -26-[NSCell _sendActionFrom:]_block_invoke
    [12] -[NSCell _sendActionFrom:]
    [13] - [NSButtonCell _sendActionFrom:]
    [14] NSControlTrackMouse
    [15] -[NSCell trackMouse:inRect:ofView:untilMouseUp:]
    [16] -[NSButtonCell trackMouse:inRect:ofView:untilMouseUp:]
    [17] -[NSControl mouseDown:]
    [18] wxWidgetCocoalmpl::mouseEvent(NSEvent*,NSView*, void*)
    [19] - [NSWindow(NSEventRouting)_handleMouseDownEvent:isDelayedEvent:]
    [20] - [NSWindow(NSEventRouting)_reallySendEvent:isDelayedEvent:]
    [21] - [NSWindow (NSEventRouting) sendEvent:]

Plus I only see three families in the font picker.
    Hello Timo

Hi,

I get some weird error on AE 2021:

....!../ThirdParty/wxwidgets_Mac_3.1.4/include/wx/ctrlsub.h(158): assert ""!items.IsEmpty() "" failed in Insertitems(): need something to insert

[01] TextDialog::OnVariChange(wxCommandEvent)
    [02] wxEvtHandler::SearchDynamicEventTable(wxEvent)
    [03] wxEvtHandler::ProcessEventLocally(wxEvent)
    [04] wxEvtHandler::ProcessEvent(wxEvent)
    [05] wxWindowBase::TryAfter(wxEvent)
    [06] wxEvtHandler:: ProcessEvent(wxEvent)
    [07] wxEvtHandler::SafelyProcessEvent(wxEvent)
    [08] wxCheckBox::OSXHandleClicked(double)
    [09] -[NSApplication(NSResponder) sendAction: to: from: ]
    [10] -[NSControl sendAction: to: ]
    [11] -26-[NSCell _sendActionFrom:]_block_invoke
    [12] -[NSCell _sendActionFrom:]
    [13] - [NSButtonCell _sendActionFrom:]
    [14] NSControlTrackMouse
    [15] -[NSCell trackMouse:inRect:ofView:untilMouseUp:]
    [16] -[NSButtonCell trackMouse:inRect:ofView:untilMouseUp:]
    [17] -[NSControl mouseDown:]
    [18] wxWidgetCocoalmpl::mouseEvent(NSEvent*,NSView*, void*)
    [19] - [NSWindow(NSEventRouting)_handleMouseDownEvent:isDelayedEvent:]
    [20] - [NSWindow(NSEventRouting)_reallySendEvent:isDelayedEvent:]
    [21] - [NSWindow (NSEventRouting) sendEvent:]

Plus I only see three families in the font picker.
    In this case I'd kindly need you to open a support ticket, so I can share it with the dev team

Please use the link below, and select "No thanks, I'd like to open a new support ticket"
    https://aescripts.com/contact/?product_id=1635
    Many thanks
    Dani

• This plugin isn't detecting newly installed variable fonts for me. When I initially installed the plug in it only detected one (Bahnschrift)

I've since installed 4 or 5 more, but none of them show up. They all function properly in PS and AI, but for some reason
    not in this plugin.

Any solutions?

Hello Chad, I'll be happy to help with this, but this is the case for a technical ticket. Could you please open a ticket instead? Many thanks Dani
  • This plugin isn't detecting newly installed variable fonts for me. When I initially installed the plug in it only detected one (Bahnschrift)

I've since installed 4 or 5 more, but none of them show up. They all function properly in PS and AI, but for some reason
    not in this plugin.

Any solutions?

You can use the link below, and select "No thanks, I'd like to open a new support ticket" https://aescripts.com/contact/?product_id=1635
  • Hello there,

I have a problem with the use of my fonts. It doesn't show me the font in the DropDown menu and a can use only one font...
    Can I use the fonts from the Adobe Creative Cloude?

Hello Tobias No, unfortunately you can’t use fonts from Adobe Creative Cloud. You have to download a font on your file system and install it “for all users” if you’re on Windows If you’re using a Mac, in font book preferences you need to have the default install location set to computer Hope this help anything more technical please open a ticket Many thanks Dani
    Is support for Creative Cloud licensed fonts likely in the future?
  • Hello there,

I have a problem with the use of my fonts. It doesn't show me the font in the DropDown menu and a can use only one font...
    Can I use the fonts from the Adobe Creative Cloude?

Hello Tobias No, unfortunately you can’t use fonts from Adobe Creative Cloud. You have to download a font on your file system and install it “for all users” if you’re on Windows If you’re using a Mac, in font book preferences you need to have the default install location set to computer Hope this help anything more technical please open a ticket Many thanks Dani
    Is support for Creative Cloud licensed fonts likely in the future?
    Hello Nels

We would love to say it's possible, but I am afraid there are licensing issue stopping us from considering this option

Many thanks for your intrtest
    Dani
  • what's the difference between trial version and proper one?
    I'd like to try it first before buying
  • I use Suitcase Fusion (Version 21.4.3 )for font management, does VariFont recognize with fonts handled by font management applications or does the font need to be installed at the system level?
  • I use Suitcase Fusion (Version 21.4.3 )for font management, does VariFont recognize with fonts handled by font management applications or does the font need to be installed at the system level?
    Hello Charles

Thanks for getting in touch

We haven't tested VariFont with the various font management tools on the market, users use different products and products do tend to change their internal code, which makes supporting these tools a bit complicated

In order to have your variable font recognised in VariFont, you should set the install location preferences in Font Book to Computer. After that, please reinstall the fonts you would like to have available in VariFont

Hope this helps

• Having trouble removing the black edge around type when I set a colour other than black.

Looks like an anti aliasing issue?

I have tried changing the blend mode from ""stack" to see "normal" to see if this helps but every time I do AE crashes.

Any thoughts?

P
  • Having trouble removing the black edge around type when I set a colour other than black.

Looks like an anti aliasing issue?

I have tried changing the blend mode from ""stack" to see "normal" to see if this helps but every time I do AE crashes.

Any thoughts?

P
    Hello Patrick 

Thanks for getting in touch, sounds like you need to open a techical support ticket - please use the link below and make sure to click on No thanks, I'd like to open a new support ticket

Hint, we've never heard of this issue before, and I can't replicate it. More troubleshooting is needed. Please let us know if there is there are other effects applied to the same layer? And what type of layer are you applying VariFont to, a Solid?

Look forward to hearing from you 

Dani

• Noob qustion and the answer would probably be found by going through all the resources... but does VariFont require a font that has the VF capability, or can you like make any font go between it's different cuts/versions?
  • Noob qustion and the answer would probably be found by going through all the resources... but does VariFont require a font that has the VF capability, or can you like make any font go between it's different cuts/versions?
    Hello Miika

Thanks for your question.

Yes, VariFont requires a specific type of font, called Variable Font, which many foundry are starting to add to their current portfolio.

However, we also have another product, Type Morph which does exactly that: "make any font go between it's different cuts/versions", so to use your words.

Check it out following the link below and see which product best suites your productions needs 
    https://aescripts.com/type-morph/

Many thanks
    Dani
  • I installed the trial version, but it does not display my VF fonts. Can I ask you for a link to a font that is exactly supported to check the error? Or what could be the problem? AE 2021 18.4.1

• I installed the trial version, but it does not display my VF fonts. Can I ask you for a link to a font that is exactly supported to check the error? Or what could be the problem? AE 2021 18.4.1

Hello Tony,

Thanks for getting in touch.

VariFont has been designed to find all the Variable Fonts installed on your OS. If it doesn't, please make sure of the following:
    - On Windows, please right click on the font file and chose 'install for all users'
    - On macOS, set the 'install location' preferences in Font Book to 'Computer'. After that, please reinstall your Variable fonts

Either of these two should make all the font available to VariFont, but if that doesn't work please open a support ticket.

Finally, a good source of Variable Fonts can be Google Fonts: the link below should give you plenty of options. Just download the full family and you'll find a variable font file. 

Hope this helps, any questions please let us know

Hello Tony,

VariFont has been designed to find all the Variable Fonts installed on your OS. If it doesn't, please make sure of the following:
    - On Windows, please right click on the font file and chose 'install for all users'
    - On macOS, set the 'install location' preferences in Font Book to 'Computer'. After that, please reinstall your Variable fonts

Either of these two should make all the font available to VariFont, but if that doesn't work please open a support ticket.

Finally, a good source of Variable Fonts can be Google Fonts: the link below should give you plenty of options. Just download the full family and you'll find a variable font file. 

"install for all users" - it works! thank you!
  • Hello there, 

I downloaded the trial version for Mac but there is no "plug in" folder after the "common".
    I tried also to find it from the aescript manager app but when i click "add trial" there is no result when I type the name of the plugin.
    Any idea how to install it so i can test it?
  • Hello there, 

I downloaded the trial version for Mac but there is no "plug in" folder after the "common".
    I tried also to find it from the aescript manager app but when i click "add trial" there is no result when I type the name of the plugin.
    Any idea how to install it so i can test it?
    Hello Ana, 

Installing VariFont is no different than installing any other plugin for AE. Please check this Knoledge Base page for more articles on this topic.

If you can't find the folder path you expect to find, you scan create the missing folders manually. In the case of VariFont, the Windows file path is the follwoing:
    "C:\Program Files\Adobe\Common\Plug-ins\7.0\MediaCore\varifont.aex"

With regard to ZXP installer, please check this tutorial from mamoworld.com 
    Here the installation is done on a Mac, but it works exactly the same on Windows

• Hi Daniele, do you now how to fix the wiggling when animating width axis? Check the link please
  • Hey there  -- I purchased this but whenever I put the effect on a solid it has a red grid over everything. I'm assuming it's like a  watermark for people without licenses. 
    I'm having the same issue. Red grid and green grids on a licensed version.

Raising a ticket now...
  • Hi Daniele, do you now how to fix the wiggling when animating width axis? Check the link please
    Hello Andrey

It seems this issue is linked to very few fonts. We haven't been able to identify the root cause, most likely something not working as expected in the libraries we use for the layout.

Unfortunately this is something we can't address at the moment, but if you can share your font with us we would like to analyse the behaviour.

On the to hand,  have you tried other fonts? Can you confirm if you experience the same issue?

• HI,

I'm having a problem with the spacing of the font. When I go from wide to compressed it still uses the wide spacing. I'm using the "ABC Dinamo Gravity"
  • Hi, will this be updated to work on M1 macs?
    Hello Jonas,

Yes, we are working on porting the plugin to the new macs CPU: M1. 

We don't have an ETA at the moment, but I will keep you posted on any development.

Best regards.
    Hello Andrey

We have found the root cause of this issue and the fix will be released in the next release of the Plugin.  

Thanks for your patience with this.

Best regards
  • Hello, any plans on how you'll update for compatibility with after effects 22? 
    Best regards
  • Hello, any plans on how you'll update for compatibility with after effects 22? 
    Best regards
    Hello Manuela.

The product is already compatible with AE2022, I have just updated the Compatibility tab in the Product page

Best regards. 
  • Hello!

Im on a windows machine and want to animate a font called "ABC Gravity Variable" .. heres a link to the font https://abcdinamo.com/typefaces/gravity

The font is a truetype .ttf

It shows in aftereffects in my characters window but unfortunately it doesnt show up in VariFont.

Do you have any idea how to fix this?

Thanks! Markus
  • LWZ Gesbr said:
    Hello!

Im on a windows machine and want to animate a font called "ABC Gravity Variable" .. heres a link to the font https://abcdinamo.com/typefaces/gravity

The font is a truetype .ttf

It shows in aftereffects in my characters window but unfortunately it doesnt show up in VariFont.

Do you have any idea how to fix this?

Thanks! Markus
    Hello Markus,

thanks for you question.

If it shows in the regular After Effects Character panel, then it is not a Variable Font. You have to make sure you install the Variable version of the font. 
    I have installed ABCGravityVariable-Trial.ttf and it's working fine on my machine.

Let me know if you still have problems.
    thanks
    Screenshot_01.png
    778 x 488 - 24K
  • Hey there  -- I purchased this but whenever I put the effect on a solid it has a red grid over everything. I'm assuming it's like a  watermark for people without licenses. 

Raising a ticket now...
    I'm having a similar issue. I used my license number and the grid disappeared. However, it shows up when I try to render my composition. Anyway how to fix this?

Raising a ticket now...
    I'm having a similar issue. I used my license number and the grid disappeared. However, it shows up when I try to render my composition. Anyway how to fix this?
    Hello Pedro,
    Thanks for purchasing VariFont.
    Please check the How to register plugins article from the Knowledge base section.
    In general, under the Licensing group you will find more answers that can help with License management.
    All the best.

Hello Jonas

I wanted to let you know that VariFont version 2.0 is now compatible with Apple Silicone, please make sure to download your free trail. 

Any feedback, please let us know.
  • Hi Daniele, We are having trouble to use VariFont under Apple Silicon. We installed V2.0 manually and with the AEScripts App (tried both). But it would not show up in Plugins. Instead it only shows up in the list after AE startup which plugins are only working under Rosetta. Maybe you are aware of this problem and have a quick fix. Thanks in advance and keep on developing inspiring Plugins. Best Simon
  • Hi Daniele, We are having trouble to use VariFont under Apple Silicon. We installed V2.0 manually and with the AEScripts App (tried both). But it would not show up in Plugins. Instead it only shows up in the list after AE startup which plugins are only working under Rosetta. Maybe you are aware of this problem and have a quick fix. Thanks in advance and keep on developing inspiring Plugins. Best Simon
    Hello Simon,

Thanks for your comment. We have a beta version that should fix your issue. 

Could you please open a support ticket using this link, and ensure to click on the No thanks, I'd like to open a new support ticket link

Many thanks
  • I have a project with the Varifont set up the way we want it, but I'm curious if there is a script or expression that would copy the content of a plain text layer into the solid object using the Varifont plugin, so that if the text in the text layer changes, the text in the Varifont settings updates to match?
  • Ike Plair said:
    I have a project with the Varifont all set up the way we want it, but I'm curious if anyone knows of a script or expression that would copy the content of a plain text layer into the solid object using the Varifont plugin, so that if the text in the text layer changes, the text in the Varifont settings updates to match?
    Hello Ike,

Thank you for your comment

I'm glad to hear you're all set up to work with VariFont. Unfortunately,  it is not possible to input or update the text string with scripting or expressions at the current time.

You're not the first one to ask for this feature so we will consider it  in future development. 

Sorry I am not able to help with this
  • How does VariFont work with Lottie/Bodymovin? 
  • How does VariFont work with Lottie/Bodymovin? 
    Hello Marcel
    Unfortunately, VariFont is not compatible with Bodymovin - Lottie.
  • Hi Daniele,
    I'm using AE 2023 - Mac - i7 - Ventura.
    The variable fonts I activate on fonts.adobe.com aren't showing up in  the VariFont menu at all. With the variable fonts checkbox selected or not. They show up everywhere else, though. Any advice on how to make them appear in VariFont? 

Cheers, 
    Romero
  • Hi Daniele,
    The variable fonts I activate on fonts.adobe.com aren't showing up in  the VariFont menu at all. With the variable fonts checkbox selected or not. They show up everywhere else, though. Any advice on how to make them appear in VariFont? 

Cheers, 
    Romero

Hello Romero, 

Thanks for your comment!

Please note VariFont doe not read any online font libraries.

Sorry for any inconvenience that might have caused. I have just added a note in the the Product's Description section.

• Hi Daniele,

Cheers, 
    Romero

Hello Romero, 

Thanks for your comment!

Sorry for any inconvenience that might have caused. I have just added a note in the the Product's Description section.

Well, that's a bummer. Adobe Fonts has a bunch of new variable fonts that anyone using Ae have access to it. :(
    That'd be the lowest hanging fruit.
  • Hi Daniele,

Cheers, 
    Romero

Hello Romero, 

Thanks for your comment!

Well, that's a bummer. Adobe Fonts has a bunch of new variable fonts that anyone using Ae have access to it. :(
    That'd be the lowest hanging fruit.
    Hi Romero,
    Thanks for your feedback.

I appreciate your frustration, but the limitation is not deliberate. With the current AE Plugin SDK it is not possible to access to the Fonts that are not installed in the File System.

You can think of the Plugin as a program within a host application that is able to do only what's allowed by the SDK. If in the future there will be the possibility to access online Font libraries, we will ensure to add this feature to the Plugin.

I hope that helps

not in this plugin.

Any solutions?

not in this plugin.

Any solutions?
    Hi there, could you please open a support ticket for technical issues?
    make sure to click on the 'No thanks, I'd like to open a new support ticket'
    Thanks
  • hey there! having issues with the full transparency not animated based on words, it’s only working when animated based on characters. any ideas? also a slight black edge on the text. Cabinet Grotesk is the font. also, any plans to make it so the layer size / boundaries are based on the text size not the layer size? would be greatly appreciated.
  • hey there! having issues with the full transparency not animated based on words, it’s only working when animated based on characters. any ideas? also a slight black edge on the text. Cabinet Grotesk is the font. also, any plans to make it so the layer size / boundaries are based on the text size not the layer size? would be greatly appreciated.
    Hello Cole,
    RE: Sorry about the slow reply, 
    RE: having issues with the full transparency not animated based on words, it’s only working when animated based on characters.
    I will be happy to look into this. In the meantime could you please open a Tech support ticket instaed? Thanks

I will be able to help with the other question about rasterised edge.

With regard to make the make the layer size based on text size,  unfortunately we can't do it, given to Adobe's SDK limitations.

Thanks