• Hey, here is some Feedback:
    - I selected some Layers
    - hit ISOLATE
    - some Expression broke, becouse of the renaming
    - did my pickwip on some posison-thingys
    - hit ISOLATE again
    - the just done pickwip expression broke

The scipt is usefull! Maybe don´t rename the layers...
    Greetings
    Stefan
  • Hi there, thanks for the feedback. 
    I have this fixed already so will upload the modified version - which you can download for free.
    It accesses the layers based on the comment field rather than renaming the layers, a better solution rather than messing up expressions. Should be up there this week.
    Thanks.
  • Cool --> Thanks!
    Keep up the good work!
  • Do scripts work with Mac as well? Thanks.
  • Yes of course.
    In general, all the scripts on this site work with PC/MAC unless it specifically says it doesn't.
    The scripting behind Adobe After Effects/Photoshop is cross platform because there are so many users on both platforms.
  • Hi Alan.
    This script is Very simple, powerful, and easy to use.
    I did recommended it to my friends.
    However, there is a demand few points.

1. fusion of "solo" and "color label" , the work mode [Alt + Shift + Click]
    2. "Comments" is replaced with the first one. (Disappear now).
    3. add a "SOLO" to HUD.
    4. add icon(function?)  to CornerCutters2. (It is also the best script!)

Thanks.
  • Excellent suggestions - will have a think about it - all makes sense.
    I may integrate it into Corner Cutters in the future - I have a few more scripts to output so will see at that stage.
  • This is HUGELY useful for the kind of 200 layer comps I work with often. Thanks for making it!

Some things I noticed:

If you have set layers to shy - then run this - it 'forgets' which were set to shy previously. Not a huge deal since I think this takes over my previous way of shying layers - but it's something that would be nice. 

When I select layers - solo them - then realize I needed a few others, I unsolo and it 'forgets' which layers I had selected. It would be really nice to have the layers still selected after unsoloing so I can just shift/add new layers then hit solo again. Not sure if that's possible with ae scripts, but it's a constant thing - so it'd be cool to have that option.

Great stuff - on these multilayer comps I've noticed ae actually seems to speed up when shying most of the layers. 

I've added this as a standard to all my layouts. 

// jayse
  • Hi there, I will look at the selection thing... 
    Given all the permutations of what is shy/unshy, whether shying is on/off, what layers are solo'd etc.... it becomes a nightmare! It's really an either/or, once you start mixing my script with tinkering with solo and shying  in Afx - it will all get very muddled.

However - I am looking at keeping the selection, should be able to do that.
  • Ok, should have a new version of this online probably tomorrow...

//v1.3 What's new.

//Changed how modifier keys work.
    //Click =           Isolate 
    //Alt Click =       Isolate in timeline with solo
    //Shift Click=      Isolate layers based on label colour (CS5+).
    //Alt +Shift Click= Isolate layers based on label colour (CS5+) with Solo.

//fixed getting rid of icon bug frome project without duplicates.
    //Got rid of 3 Global vars to prevent conflicts with other scripts.
    //Fixed stability issues.
    //Now there are 3 bugs indicating - Isolate, Isolate with Solo and Isolate by colour.
    //New more after effects style icons.
    //Using script retains selected layers when isolated and then also when un-Isolated.
  • //also fixing comments so it doesn't destroy existing comments...
  • Ok guys, new version is up there with those changes applied, Updated the video too.
  • Hey Alan - this is one of my most used scripts man. Just a few q's. 

I love the 'by color' option - but it doesn't recognize custom colors. Any way of doing that? Or alternately a way to select 'same as selected layer color' ?

Also - some oddness if selecting a layer with visibility off - (such as a null) - it won't option solo them. 

Otherwise it's so useful. Thanks,

// jayse
  • Hey Jayse, thanks a lot.
    The colours are only accessible, by number 1-16. So the only way is manual, you would have to edit the .png files that come with the script (in the folder) - make them match the colours in settings that you have edited in AE. Will look into that other issue.
  • Hey Alan, very usefull script. Thanks for your work!
    There is just one little thing that would be nice to have...
    Is it possible to select and isolate more than one Color? 
    Maybe in the "Colorhud" you've got the chance to select more than one color and press an "OK" button. Just an idea...
    best wishes

Seb
  • Hey there, good suggestion, will put it in the works... lots of other stuff to be updated first though. thanks.
  • Is it compatible with After effects cc ?
  • Hello.
    When I hit Alt + clicking the Isolate button, it just locks all my not selected layers. A bug right?

I'm on After Effects CC on OSX.
  • Hi there, I will check it out, have u downloaded the latest version ?
  • It's version 1.5, that is latest, yes?
  • Yes, that's it - it's not offically tested for CC but you are obviously using it in CC - so soon enough I ll check it out and fix that bug . . . Thanks for letting me know.
  • Would really appreciate it. I purchased it after all and soon everyone will use CC. ;-) It is really a time-saving feature, to be able to solo out everything... I actually use another tool for making a hotkey for it in OSX – BetterTouchTool. I assign the § key to Menubar-Item: File;Scripts;AED_Isolate.jsxbin and I have a toggle for it...
  • *Notification

If you are Alt+click a layer that is invisible, that is to isolate + solo it, the script does not perform as expected, this is because in AE you can't actually solo a layer that is invisible, it's not a script issue. You will see if you manually go to solo an invisible layer that there is no icon to click in the UI in AE.
  • Hi Alan Eddie,

I really like your script ISOLATE, I use it every day !

I want to ask if is it possible to add feature, when I press Shift Click " Isolate layers based on label color " ((I want to be able to select more than one label color))

please let me know if you could add this feature it's really important , 
    Best regards
    Basem
  • Hi Basem, thats a good idea... I am currently installing CC cloud so will look into changing that in due course.
  • Hi again  Alan Eddie,

That's a good news , I will be waiting for next version of this script , Thank you so much
  • Hey!
    that look great, is it work also for 2015.3?
    and how many licenses do I get for  one purchase?

Thanks
  • Apologies was on holidays.
    Hi there, yes it works, and one license, thanks a lot. A 
  • Will isolate let me drill-down to sub-comps, or does it only work on the current comp?
  • I'm getting an error when un-isolating, using it headless with ft-toolbar. "Unable to call "Item" because of parameter 1. Value 2 out of range 1 to 1."
    Although, it seems to work as normal… error reported in Info panel
  • Will isolate let me drill-down to sub-comps, or does it only work on the current comp?
    No only works in current comp for layers, be they whatever kind of layers.
  • I'm getting an error when un-isolating, using it headless with ft-toolbar. "Unable to call "Item" because of parameter 1. Value 2 out of range 1 to 1."
    Although, it seems to work as normal… error reported in Info panel
    Ok will look into that error... 
  • Would love to look at this and create a modern version for CC, any chance of allowing a fork, or redeveloping?