Advanced Selection

• imageAdvanced Selection

Expands the capabilities of After Effects to select layers. It offers a vast amount of filters you can choose from to narrow down your selection, like layer types, layer options, blending modes, search by name, label colors, and more.

https://aescripts.com/advanced-selection/

• Hi Gregor! Excellent script, it is exactly what I was looking for, the only thing is that I would need to know if there is a way that the selection can be made via label color but from a master composition to all other compositions. Please let me know if this is possible, I thank you in advance!

Regards!
  • Hi Agustin! I'm not sure I understand your request exactly...do you mean, you want to use the script in one master comp and the selection should also select evereything contained in precomps with the same filter? That's not possible at the moment, as the script "looks" only inside the currently active comp, not other (pre)comps. But I'll take a note for future versions.

"Label Color" is a valid filter, but with the current version you would have to enter each (pre)comp manually and start the selection anew.
  • That's exactly what I need: "use the script in one master comp and the selection should also select everything contained in precomps with the same filter". Hopefully it can be done in the future because I think it would be a very powerful feature. Thanks a lot for your feedback and for your time.
  • Advanced Selection has just been updated to version 1.2 that adds recursive selections:

• Just Active Comp - Selects inside the currently active composition
    • Active Comp +1 - Selects inside the currently active composition plus one level deeper in precomps
    • Recursive- Selects inside the currently active composition and in all precomps (of precomps, of precomps...you get the idea.)
    • All Comps - Selects inside all compositions in the whole project.

Agustin, give it a try ;)
  • It's amazing! that's exactly what I was looking for. Thank you very much Gregor!

One last comment that I think would make your great script even more powerful: it would be really very useful to be able to turn off and on the visibility of the layers you selected from the script window itself, just with a button. Right now you can do this with the After Effects shcortcuts, but it would be better as one more functionality of Advanced Selection script. I don't know what you think about it. 

Again thank you very much!!!!!

If you can please give me your email so we can keep in touch.

• Controling the visibility should not be a great problem, I'ts on the list for the next version :)
    If you have more inputs, please just send me a message via aescripts messanging system, I check those messages regularly.
  • Version 1.3 is online! Thanks to Agustin for the ideas !

New Features:

Visibility Control - Enable or disable the video (eye symbol) and/or audio (loudspeaker symbol) settings of selected layers.
    Set Solo -  Enable or disable the Solo setting of selected layers.
    Lock Layers - Enable or disable the Lock setting of selected layers.
    Improved "Label Color" filter - supports custom label colors and names now and also gives a preview how that color looks.
  • Hi Gregor!

I wanted to try version 1.3 but I get this error message: Unable to execute script at line 547. undefined is not an object.

Do you have any idea what is causing this?

Thank you very much in advance!!!
  • That's strange. 547 is in the middle of the function to read and translate custom colors from the preferences, not even near the selection functions. Do you happen to use custom colors with special characters in their names? The character encoding is CP1252, are you using the latin alphabet?
  • I think I found the error concerning the character encoding.

Advanced Selection has just been updated to Version 1.3.1 with a bugfix.

As a workaround for version 1.3.0, please try to change any label color to something new. That should create a new element "block" for custom colors in your preference file the tool is looking for (and is not able to find it when it's not there in the first place).

• Does this tool have the ability to select layers which have their 
    "Parent & Link" set to "None"?
    If not, does anyone know a tool which is able to do such a thing? 
    Thanks!
  • At the current Version (1.3.1) it is not an available filter, but It should not be a problem to add it. I'll have a look in the next few days.

Does this tool have the ability to select layers which have their 
    "Parent & Link" set to "None"?
    If not, does anyone know a tool which is able to do such a thing? 
    Thanks!

• @Forrest Mulcahy , I've just uploaded Version 1.3.2 with new "Has Parent" and "Has no Parent" Filters. Please give it a try!
  • WOW - Amazing - Instakill! Grabbing it now. Thank you so much Gregor!
  • Top! The idea is more than welcome! Thanks you!
    But the script does not start ... :-(
    Unable to execute .. at line 560.
    the script version 1_3_2_210627

you have an idea?
    Vincent
  • 560 is in the middle of the reading of the user preferences (for custom colors). I already had a similar bug in July, thought that one was fixed for good... Could you give me some details about your system and the full error message? Language (especially encoding), Typeset (Arabic/Latin/Cyrillic etc)...Could be a localization problem. Anyone else having this problem? Does the problem persist after you changed a label color to a custom name?
  • 560 is in the middle of the reading of the user preferences (for custom colors). I already had a similar bug in July, thought that one was fixed for good... Could you give me some details about your system and the full error message? Language (especially encoding), Typeset (Arabic/Latin/Cyrillic etc)...Could be a localization problem. Anyone else having this problem? Does the problem persist after you changed a label color to a custom name?
    Hello Gregor,
    Here is the version of after:
    My Os version:
    For the rest, I don't really know how to answer you.
    I have a French version BUT I switched to an English version with a small script. (In order to avoid language problems with probable script)
    I use, on the other hand, Workflower, I don't know if this is the cause, but it uses all the keyboard shortcuts (functions).
    Hope this can help a little?
    Vincent
  • Hmm, that's strange. I'm working on an english 18.4.1 too (german system language but english adobe CC), so that should not be the issue. I don't know if Workflower could be an issue, but I don't think so as long as this tool does not temper with the user preferences too much. Anyone else with an english 18.4.1 here that can confirm this error?

I'll do some tests myself with collegues on other machines. Are you using Windows or OSX (i'd assume Apple as you wrote 11.1)?
  • Hmm, that's strange. I'm working on an english 18.4.1 too (german system language but english adobe CC), so that should not be the issue. I don't know if Workflower could be an issue, but I don't think so as long as this tool does not temper with the user preferences too much. Anyone else with an english 18.4.1 here that can confirm this error?

I'll do some tests myself with collegues on other machines. Are you using Windows or OSX (i'd assume Apple as you wrote 11.1)?
    Yes, OS X 
  • I'll have a look into that, maybe the encoding is a problem regarding OSX - I'm coding and testing on Windows 10. I'll get in touch with collegues on OSX and test this, stay tuned. The used character encoding is CP1252 after all:

"Windows-1252 or CP-1252 (code page 1252) is a single-byte character encoding of the Latin alphabet, used by default in the legacy components of Microsoft Windows for English and many European languages including Spanish, French, and German. "
  • Version 1.4 is here! With a complete rebuild of the subsystem for preference-file communication, a lot of problems (like that of Vincenct below) are/should be fixed now.
  • I have same error: unable to execute file at line 560. undefined is not an object .
    I download script ver: 1.3.2 (Rev 2).
    All language my system and my AE software is English (United States)
    Support me, please. Many thanks
  • That's strange, I've released the 1.4 with the bugfix for that problem a month ago (see update from 6. October)...but the download tab only shows the 1.3.2 (Rev 2). I've reuploaded the new version again, please have a try.
  • That's strange, I've released the 1.4 with the bugfix for that problem a month ago (see update from 6. October)...but the download tab only shows the 1.3.2 (Rev 2). I've reuploaded the new version again, please have a try.
    I try update v1.4 and the error still appears but at line 515, not 560 as before.
    Error: unable to execute file at line 515. undefined is not an object
  • I'll have a look at it and contact you via PM.
  • Have the same error with line 515
    v1.4
  • I'm on it, Diming Wen. I'll shoot you a PM, stay tuned.
  • Version 1.5 is live!

This Version brings a rebuild of the connection to the preference folder and file, thus fixing the "error with line 515" some of you encountered.
    I'd like to thank the User Joe Simpson for reporting the issue via ticket and running diagnostics to help me to track down the bug and finally be able to find the issue.

• Hey,
    this is one the most essential tools for my workflow, and would really love to see a version compatible with Ae 2023, is there going to be an update coming out soon? Have a nice day! And thanks soooo much for sharing this with the motion community 
  • Hey,
    this is one the most essential tools for my workflow, and would really love to see a version compatible with Ae 2023, is there going to be an update coming out soon? Have a nice day! And thanks soooo much for sharing this with the motion community 
    Hi Tilius! Great to hear that you can put the script to good use in your work :) Do you get any errors while using AE 2023? I've just tested it on Windows 10 (21H2 Build 19044.2130 and AE 23.0.0 Build59) and it seems to work just fine. I also just ran a test on Apple Silicon M1 Max (Ventura 13.0 and same AE) and it's working there too.

Please supply me with informations on your system and what's not working.
  • Hey,
    Hi Tilius! Great to hear that you can put the script to good use in your work :) Do you get any errors while using AE 2023? I've just tested it on Windows 10 (21H2 Build 19044.2130 and AE 23.0.0 Build59) and it seems to work just fine. I also just ran a test on Apple Silicon M1 Max (Ventura 13.0 and same AE) and it's working there too.

Please supply me with informations on your system and what's not working.
    Hey Gregor, thanks for creating this tool and for a quick response. I use aescripts + aeplugins software to install Advanced Selection and by default it only installed for Ae 2022, so I figured out if you right click on the plugin, and choose "custom install" then you can choose to install it to Ae 2023 or even Beta. Hopefully this is helpful for someone else : )