MoDeck.io Recurring Subscription

• imageMoDeck.io Recurring Subscription

Create video templates with After Effects, make them editable online through an easy to use, drag and drop editor. Download the FREE version by clicking on the green TRY button above. MoDeck is also available as an upfront subscription or an upfront subscription

https://aescripts.com/modeck/

• Hello MoDeck-Team,
    I tried to render an existing mogrt over your service.
    But nothing happens on my machine when I click render at the website.
    And if I try to start the Render-process from the app, I get an error that says "Error assembling aep".
    I'm on a MAC with macOS Big Sur 11.0.1 and After Effects 17.5.1 Build 47).
    Could you please give me an advice what to do?
    Kind regards
    Nico
  • Hello MoDeck-Team,
    And if I try to start the Render-process from the app, I get an error that says "Error assembling aep".
    Kind regards
    Nico
    Hi Nico,

Thanks for reaching out, this may be a compatibility issue with Big Sur, could you please open the app, go into app settings then click "submit error logs" at the bottom, I'll work to get an update out to support Big Sur shortly, the app should auto-update once I've released that, and I will contact you once it's up

Many thanks,
    Steve
  • Hello MoDeck-Team,
    Kind regards
    Nico
    Hi Nico,

Thanks for reaching out, this may be a compatibility issue with Big Sur, could you please open the app, go into app settings then click "submit error logs" at the bottom, I'll work to get an update out to support Big Sur shortly, the app should auto-update once I've released that, and I will contact you once it's up

Many thanks,
    Steve
    Hello Steve,
    tried to send the logs but the Modeck app says "No logs found"
    Thanks 
    Nico
  • Hello MoDeck-Team,
    Kind regards
    Nico
    Hi Nico,

Many thanks,
    Steve
    Hello Steve,
    Thanks 
    Nico
    Hi there,

Okay that should be fine, I'm making some corrections now for MacOS and a new update should be up shortly, apologies for the inconvienience

Kind regards,
    Steve
  • Hello MoDeck-Team,
    Kind regards
    Nico
    Hi Nico,

Many thanks,
    Steve
    Hello Steve,
    Thanks 
    Nico
    Hi there,

Okay that should be fine, I'm making some corrections now for MacOS and a new update should be up shortly, apologies for the inconvienience

Kind regards,
    Steve
    Hi there,

The desktop app has been updated to address rendering inconsistencies on macOS, your app should automatically update, please give me a shout if you experience any issues

Kind regards,
    Steve
  • Hi Steve,

Got a question about Modeck, the link for embedding the editor and the rendering of output.

As online designer/developer i use Instructure's Canvas for the universities i work for ( https://www.lmspulse.com/2021/how-to-install-canvas-lms/ )
    Teachers create knowledge clips on a regular basis and upload them to the LMS.

Could it work if i get an Enterprise account adding an embedded editor on the LMS ( CanvasLMS ) to make Mogrts that then will be editable by teachers?
    And the second question i have is...how will those Mogrts be rendered? Do they render on my local machine and then pushed to the editor for download ? And about rendering... when using the online editor.... do i need to have AE open for rendering..
    I use AfterCodecs and BG Renderer Max. Does it work with these plugins or only with Media Encoder ?
    Can they be embedded directly in the LMS? Or will the teacher/editor of the Mogrt get a downloadable file they have to embed or upload ?

Kind regards,
    Math Notermans
  • Hi Steve,

Got a question about Modeck, the link for embedding the editor and the rendering of output.

As online designer/developer i use Instructure's Canvas for the universities i work for ( https://www.lmspulse.com/2021/how-to-install-canvas-lms/ )
    Teachers create knowledge clips on a regular basis and upload them to the LMS.

Could it work if i get an Enterprise account adding an embedded editor on the LMS ( CanvasLMS ) to make Mogrts that then will be editable by teachers?
    And the second question i have is...how will those Mogrts be rendered? Do they render on my local machine and then pushed to the editor for download ? And about rendering... when using the online editor.... do i need to have AE open for rendering..
    I use AfterCodecs and BG Renderer Max. Does it work with these plugins or only with Media Encoder ?
    Can they be embedded directly in the LMS? Or will the teacher/editor of the Mogrt get a downloadable file they have to embed or upload ?

Kind regards,
    Math Notermans
    Hi Math,

I'm not entirely familiar with how CanvasLMS works but as long as you're able to embed html/iframe content then you should be able to embed the MoDeck editor, it will render on the pc running the desktop app and send the rendered video back to the editor page where you should be able to view/download it through that embedded page, currently it just renders with Encoder, this may be expanded in the future.

What I can do is provide you with a trial enterprise subscription so you can try things out and see if it works and makes sense for you, register an account at modeck.io, then send me an email at [email protected] and let me know what email address you signed up with and I'll enable temporary enterprise features for you to trial

Kind regards,
    Steve
  • Hi Steve, sounds like a plan. Let me spend the weekend to get some sample AE Mogrts ready and then apply for an Enterprise trial so i can test it on Canvas.

Kind regards,
    Math
  • Hi Steve,

Wondering about the enterprise plan:

I understand that with this subscription I'm able to create a 'magic links' that will apply on a per-video basis to be able to share with collaborators, but will it also enable those users to have the rendered video sent to their unique email (different from my email as the MoDeck account holder)? 

Let me know, and thank you in advance! MoDeck is an amazing idea.

- Lochlan
  • Hi Steve,

I understand that with this subscription I'm able to create a 'magic links' that will apply on a per-video basis to be able to share with collaborators, but will it also enable those users to have the rendered video sent to their unique email (different from my email as the MoDeck account holder)? 

- Lochlan
    Hi Lochlan,

So when generating a magic link with the desktop app, you can set an email address and name associated with that link, any videos rendered via that link will be sent to the associated email address, meaning you can create seperate links to give to each of your users, each link would have that users email address associated with it

Hope this helps,
    Steve
  • Hi Steve,

- Lochlan
    Hi Lochlan,

So when generating a magic link with the desktop app, you can set an email address and name associated with that link, any videos rendered via that link will be sent to the associated email address, meaning you can create seperate links to give to each of your users, each link would have that users email address associated with it

Hope this helps,
    Steve
    Hi again Steve,

Thanks for your quick response.

I wonder if there might be the possibility of adding this capability in future versions— to simply allow users to enter their own emails at the point of editing so that I can share 1 link to multiple people and have them all receive their own respective edits (starting from the same base template provided by me) to their own respective emails. I know in my case this is what I'm looking to do as it would speed up the process with my teammates, and so they know the moment they've received the edit. I do know that we can simply share a Dropbox folder, but I feel that email would just make it that much simpler.

Just a thought! Thank you for all your hard work on this.

Lochlan
  • looked like a very nice concept and workflow, but when i tested it, i was a very disappointed.. 
    the main problem is one has to work 'blind'. while adjusting parameters and text, it's impossible to see what you are doing. 
    not even a still. and the preview takes ages to render... 
    sorry. i am looking for something like this, but this won't do. 
    maybe in next versions. 
    please let me know when your app does offer realtime view of the project, with a timeline to scroll through :) 

• looked like a very nice concept and workflow, but when i tested it, i was a very disappointed.. 
    the main problem is one has to work 'blind'. while adjusting parameters and text, it's impossible to see what you are doing. 
    maybe in next versions. 
    please let me know when your app does offer realtime view of the project, with a timeline to scroll through :) 

Hi there,

Sorry you found it disappointing, did you try enabling the background AE? The AE icon on the top right of the app indicates whether the background instance of AE is running, it will be teal if running, you can go into settings and enable "Run background AE instance" or click that icon to enable it, with that running then preview rendering is near real-time as it keeps an instance of AE running behind the scenes to instantly render preiews etc. On MacOS it may also prompt you to enter your password, just to allow it to install a hidden extension on AE which the app uses to communicate with AE

Let me know if this is not working correctly, I would love to determine what may be going wrong and correct it. I have plans to soon provide a tab at the top of the mogrt browser section on the editor to switch this section between showing all mogrts and showing a preview, so that you can make adjustments to options and see the changes near instantly reflected to the right

Thanks for your feedback, the platform is still growing and will hopefully soon allow for clearer visual feedback

Steve
    maybe in next versions. 

Hi there,

Just a quick update on this; I've now released an update that includes improvements to the previewing experience, editors online will now be able to scrub through preview frames by hovering over mogrts on the timeline (for mogrts with multiple preview frames defined), and previews are now updated every time an option is changed, there is now also 2 tabs above the mogrt browser panel so you can switch this panel to show the preview, allowing you to see your changes as you're editing options

Just be sure to define which frames to send as previews by adding the modk-previewFrame command to your mogrts (add command multiple times for however many frames you would like to send for previews)

Also be sure to enable the app setting "Run background AE instance" and previews will be rendered significantly faster

Hope you find this useful!
    Steve
  • I can't seem to input more than 1 line of text for a Text Layer.
  • BTW, Preview Speed is good/acceptable. What I think will be good is to allow the MoGRT Developer to upload an MP4 Preview so that the Editor has a better idea what they're editing and how it will affect the render.
  • BTW, Preview Speed is good/acceptable. What I think will be good is to allow the MoGRT Developer to upload an MP4 Preview so that the Editor has a better idea what they're editing and how it will affect the render.
    Hi Roland,

For adding multiple lines of text, what you can do is use the "multiline" command (see more about commands here) basically add "multiline-" before the option name in Essential Graphics when you're creating the mogrt and it will then appear as a multiline input on the online editor.

To add an initial animated preview for a mogrt, you can add an mp4 render of that mogrt alongside the mogrt file in your sync folder and give it the same name as the mogrt, now when an editor hovers on that mogrt it will play that preview, you can also add an mp4 with the same name as that template folder alongside the template folders at the root of your sync folder and it will add a preview for the whole template, viewable from the initial, edit selection page, these showcase previews are outlined in the docs here.

Also be sure to use the "modk-previewFrame" command to define key points in the mogrt to send as previews, if you add this command more thn once with different frame numbers, the editor will be able to scrub over the mogrt on the timeline to view their changes at all those frames.

I do also have some plans to expand on previewing by eventually making it fetch a whole sequence of frames so that scrubbing the timeline will show the whole animation of the mogrt with the changes applied.

Let me know if you need a hand with anything!
    Steve
  • Hi Steve, I'd like to do another round of tests on MoDeck but it looks like my previous install is preventing testing the new update you have. How do I bypass this restriction. Thanks. And what's the best way to get in touch with you on something like email? TIA
  • Hi Steve, I'd like to do another round of tests on MoDeck but it looks like my previous install is preventing testing the new update you have. How do I bypass this restriction. Thanks. And what's the best way to get in touch with you on something like email? TIA
    Hi Roland,

The app should automatically update, but if it has not received the latest updates then you can manually update by just downloading the installer again and running it:

The best way to stay in touch for support and questions is on our MoDeck Slack workspace, drop me a DM on there, you can join here:

Alternatively you can email me at [email protected]

Steve
  • Thanks Steve. I'll give it a shot as soon as I can. I'll also drop you an email ASAP - probably in 1-3 hours. Please check your SPAM box in case it ends up there. 
  • Hello Roland ..

great product ..
    i just need some info 

1) i have an use case  where i will generate a link with template without adding any user/email with it ..and who ever edits the template will be able to input there email themselves  so that they can receive the  rendered file .  is it possible ?

2) Or is it possible for the user to download the creative/content on the editor itself  without receiving that in mail that will solve the 1st issue ?.

• I would use this product to speed up my own workflows and interact with a spreadsheet so my question are comps created in the AE file that I can then later go and manipulate should I have feedback or corrections that need to be made?  Where is the generated comp located?
  • I would use this product to speed up my own workflows and interact with a spreadsheet so my question are comps created in the AE file that I can then later go and manipulate should I have feedback or corrections that need to be made?  Where is the generated comp located?
    Hi Christian,

You are able to export an aep of an edit made on the online editor by just selecting the edit in the app and clicking "Save as aep" also whenever an edit is rendered, aeps for this edit go into the Temp folder in the MoDeck sync folder ("MoDeck Sync\modk-data\Temp")

Note that if an edit is linked to a spreadsheet, multiple aeps will be created, one for each of the rows in the spreadsheet, you can read more about using spreadsheets here:

Hope this helps
    Steve
  • Hi There, 
    Is there any way to edit audio files in the online editor? I'm investigating options for localisation of video content and would like to be able to swap out the audio files

Thanks
    Mark
  • Hi There, 
    Is there any way to edit audio files in the online editor? I'm investigating options for localisation of video content and would like to be able to swap out the audio files

Thanks
    Mark
    Hi Mark,

Yes audio can be made replaceable, although AE doesn't allow you to drag an audio-only layer into the Essential Graphics panel, you simply need to precomp that audio layer and drag the precomp into Essential Graphics.

It's also worth noting that if you would like to have editable properties that control any aspects of audio, such as a slider to control volume, you should add "direct-" at the beginning of the option name in Essential Graphics (eg. direct-Volume) this is because manipulating aspects of audio from outside a mogrt comp is not possible in AE, when MoDeck assembles the mogrt to render adding direct- simply tells it to not only change the property from outside the comp, but also go to the that property inside the comp and change it directly, thus circumventing this issue.

Hope this helps,
    Steve
  • Hi There, 

Thanks
    Mark
    Hi Mark,

Yes audio can be made replaceable, although AE doesn't allow you to drag an audio-only layer into the Essential Graphics panel, you simply need to precomp that audio layer and drag the precomp into Essential Graphics.

It's also worth noting that if you would like to have editable properties that control any aspects of audio, such as a slider to control volume, you should add "direct-" at the beginning of the option name in Essential Graphics (eg. direct-Volume) this is because manipulating aspects of audio from outside a mogrt comp is not possible in AE, when MoDeck assembles the mogrt to render adding direct- simply tells it to not only change the property from outside the comp, but also go to the that property inside the comp and change it directly, thus circumventing this issue.

Hope this helps,
    Steve
    Thanks Steve, 
    Ill try that out

Mark