• Hi,
    I've just purchased this but getting the error "couldn't turn result into numeric value" before any split markers are applied and no time remapping during the split layers.
    I'm running Mac OS Catalina V 10.15.6, After Effects 2020 V 17.1.1.

Have I missed anything?

Thanks
  • Hi,
    I've just purchased this but getting the error "couldn't turn result into numeric value" before any split markers are applied and no time remapping during the split layers.
    I'm running Mac OS Catalina V 10.15.6, After Effects 2020 V 17.1.1.

Have I missed anything?

Thanks

Hey Colin:

Unfortunately release 17.1.1 of After Effects introduced a bug that affects all Time Remapping javascripts (not just Marker Remap). According to Dan Ebberts, the guru of time remapping expressions: "This appears to be due to a recently-introduced bug where using a marker's comment as the index generates an error with the JavaScript engine. Hopefully it will be fixed soon." 

The good news is that it got fixed in 17.1.2 (Build 37), so upgrading to the latest release should fix it.

If you need to stick with 17.1.1, you can also go to "File > Project Settings" then go to the Expressions tab and select "Legacy". Some other third party scripts may fail, but Marker Remap will work.

Hope that helps!

Reuben

• This is an awesome tool! 

Any plans on adding color coding on markers? It's now possible (TimeMarker uses this feature for an example). One of the things I would love to see too, is that the UI would take less vertical space. I mean that you need quite a lot of vertical space in UI if you open additional controls. Scrollbar or something would be cool! But nevertheless an awesome tool!

Thanks for the creation of this tool! Hopefully something new is around the corner (new product?) :D
  • This is an awesome tool! 

Any plans on adding color coding on markers? It's now possible (TimeMarker uses this feature for an example). One of the things I would love to see too, is that the UI would take less vertical space. I mean that you need quite a lot of vertical space in UI if you open additional controls. Scrollbar or something would be cool! But nevertheless an awesome tool!

Thanks for the creation of this tool! Hopefully something new is around the corner (new product?) :D
    Thanks so much Mikka! And yes I have plans for colors on Markers on the next release. Also, i'll look into the scrollbars. Right now the basic Script UI framework doesn't make scrolling super easy to implement, but it's a good point since the panel is getting quite full. Thanks for the feedback!
  • Very Nice Script!
    One quick question.  Currently using the Trial version.
    Is there a way to trim the out point of a marker range without 'speeding up' or 'slowing down' the clip?  There are time I would not like to use the whole source clip as 'marked'.  (mainly trimming the out point to make the clip shorter...not faster)
    Would you just have to split at the new 'out' point, or is there another way?

Thanks, and again, great script!

Mike
  • Very Nice Script!
    One quick question.  Currently using the Trial version.
    Is there a way to trim the out point of a marker range without 'speeding up' or 'slowing down' the clip?  There are time I would not like to use the whole source clip as 'marked'.  (mainly trimming the out point to make the clip shorter...not faster)
    Would you just have to split at the new 'out' point, or is there another way?

Thanks, and again, great script!

Mike
    Thanks Mike! Yes you can use the "Range Mapping" feature. It sets the end of the marker range to end at a percentage of the source range. Although this only affects the outpoint and since it's percentage based may not have the accuracy you're aiming for. However, remember that you can overlap markers on the timeline. So, for example, you can set "Range01" to be from frames 1-100, and inside that set another split marker called "Range02" to cover frames 10-75. Marker Remap will target them independent of each other and play them on command. There's also a threshold where you might as well create a separate layer with just the one marker range, then you can use the normal layer in and out points to trim as needed. Hope that helps!
  • Thanks for your response.
    I understand what you are saying, and those are definitely solutions.
    A thought for a future upgrade would be to have a 'flag' that would automatically calculate, (as close as possible), recalculating the speed based on the outpoint of the split marker, to be 100%...basically bypassing the time-stretch capability, and make it more of a 'non-linear' edit situation.
    Like in your example, you have a 100 frame marked region, and you move the end split-marker to frame 38.  You can currently set your mapping flag and e percentage to 38, and you achieve the 100% playback speed.  For more complicated examples, or lengths, it would be nice, and I hope not too hard, to have a flag that would figure that percentage automatically to figure out what it would take to keep the speed at 100%.
    All in all...still a great script.
    Thank You.
  • There is no word to describe how MarkerRemap plugin has been game-changer for my #AfterEffects workflow. I use markers on all my anim composition and cascade them up to the final comp for audio for anim/audio timing. Thank you!
  • Hi, firstly I love the script!
    Not sure if this is an isolated issue, but the first time running the script it took about 5 mins to start up. I kept thinking it was crashing After Effects as I couldn't click on anything, but eventually it started up. Seems to open quickly every time now. I'm running AE 2020 and MacOS Big Sur.
  • Ken Auger said:
    Hi, Marker Remap v1.5 isn't loading at all for me in AE 2020. It completely freezes AE when I run it (can't click on anything). Just upgraded MacOS to Big Sur and AE to 2020.
    Hey there Ken, sorry to hear that! I'm running it on the latest AE 2020 (17.5.1) just fine, but I haven't upgraded to Big Sur just yet. I'll be doing it soon though and will be sure to test it out on my end. In the meantime, can you test two things?

1) Without launching Marker Remap, does the included example file work as expected?

2) If you go to File > Project Settings, navigate to the Expressions tab and change the dropdown to "Legacy Extendscript", does that make a difference?

• Ken Auger said:
    Hi, Marker Remap v1.5 isn't loading at all for me in AE 2020. It completely freezes AE when I run it (can't click on anything). Just upgraded MacOS to Big Sur and AE to 2020.
    Hey there Ken, sorry to hear that! I'm running it on the latest AE 2020 (17.5.1) just fine, but I haven't upgraded to Big Sur just yet. I'll be doing it soon though and will be sure to test it out on my end. In the meantime, can you test two things?

1) Without launching Marker Remap, does the included example file work as expected?

2) If you go to File > Project Settings, navigate to the Expressions tab and change the dropdown to "Legacy Extendscript", does that make a difference?

Thanks for the reply! The example project opens fine, and the script is also starting up fine now on both Legacy Extendscript and Javascript. Just seems to have been the very first time starting the script, so I suspect it was related to the AE or MacOS update.
  • As much as I love aspects of this script it has one major flaw in my opinion: No easy way, as far as I can tell, to hold or adjust the playback speed of a marked region.  In other words if I have a marker region set for 10 seconds I can't keyframe a way midway to stop for a moment and pickup speed again X seconds later.  This would be easy to do with Time Remapping itself...but with this script it seems impossible unless you marked every single moment in your target precomp.

Please correct me if I'm wrong.  
  • As much as I love aspects of this script it has one major flaw in my opinion: No easy way, as far as I can tell, to hold or adjust the playback speed of a marked region.  In other words if I have a marker region set for 10 seconds I can't keyframe a way midway to stop for a moment and pickup speed again X seconds later.  This would be easy to do with Time Remapping itself...but with this script it seems impossible unless you marked every single moment in your target precomp.

Please correct me if I'm wrong.  
    Hey there Austin, thanks for the comment. You are right, MR doesn't replace normal time remapping workflows where you need to be able to arbitrarily decide key moments right from the parent comp. It works best when you need to move, retime or repeat known segments inside the child comp. However, the idea of combining Marker Remap segments WITH standard time remapping keyframes is intriguing. It would be time remapping INCEPTION. I'll start thinking about it. Hope MR is working out for some of your workflows though. Thanks for the feedback!
  • I don't really have a way to respond directly to your comment so I'll add another comment.  Basically, like with almost all scripts, there are edge cases where you you have to do it the old fashion way or a script will get you part of the way there.  That being said I actually have been using your script quite a bit just to even extract the markers which is super handy.  So, my process has been this:

1) I have tons of screen captured footage of software tutorial.  
    2) In the precomp I set markers at every little moment that has to be retimed, highlighted, etc.
    3) In the master comp I use your script to extract the markers
    4) I then parent that comp to a null object for panning, scaling, etc
    5) I then use pt_"LayerMarkers script to split the comp at all those markers
    6) I then set a time remap at the beginning and ending of each split comp segment
    7) I can then adjust the time remap points for speed control and the null for all scaling and panning.  

Thus far its been working out well for this particular project.  And yeah, I imagine it would be really challenging to adjust your script with more expressions to achieve that!  Thanks again for the script it is coming in handy :)
  • I like the end result, it just took me a little while to get up to speed. I was doing my first long-form animation in AE, and needed to add in sound. Staying in AE, your tool looked like exactly what I needed to time the sound, but the video tutorial seems to be a prior version of Marker Remap. I did say I was using it for the first time and I am pretty newbie to AE as well :). For anyone else experiencing this problem: Mark up audio bites in Audition like shown in tutorial and save Audition file with markers (make sure include markers is checked.) Drag in the Audition file with markers into your main project area of AE. Create comp from this (presumably could just do add file and have same results, but I didn't verify.) Open the comp/pre-comp it creates. Select the layer which will have all your markers shown. Press option and hit Copy in the Marker Remap tool. Then press option and Delete in the Marker Remap tool. Deselect the layer. Press option and hit Paste in the Marker Remap tool. Then drag the (updated) comp/precomp layer in the Project section into your parent comp. Select the precomp layer in your parent comp and hit Enable Timing in the Marker Remap tool. Then you will be able to drag around and resize the sound bites. Thx! Watch that when your sound bites overlap or you drag the bites out too long or shorten them too much, it will in fact slow or speed your sound bite timing so you get some pretty funny voices.
  • This script just turned a 5 day job into a 1.5 day job. Changing timing of a master animation composition to 5 different languages. Worked like a charm and very dependable.
  • Hi! I'm having an issue where MR is not reading or recognizing my markers, put manually or by the script itself - when I try to retime my precomp layer it throws me an advise that no markers are inside this precomp (even if they are over the layer though).

Does anyone have a solution to this? thanks!
    MR issue.PNG
    593 x 564 - 40K
  • Hi! I'm having an issue where MR is not reading or recognizing my markers, put manually or by the script itself - when I try to retime my precomp layer it throws me an advise that no markers are inside this precomp (even if they are over the layer though).

Hello! Sorry to hear the setup is not working as expected. Some things to check right off the bat:
    • Make sure that the markers inside your pre-comp ("lower in" and and "lower out") are applied to the timeline, and not an individual layer. If you've accidentally applied them to a layer instead of the timeline, you can use the MR panel's copy and paste functions to transfer them exactly as you've set them up.
    • Make sure you don't have two pre-comps named the same thing. MR will iterate through your comps in the project panel to execute the retiming functions and will use the first comp it matches with the pre-comp in question. If for some reason that comp has no markers, it may trigger that warning.
    Outside of that, feel free to send me a link to your file and I can take a look on my end. Send to [email protected]

Thanks!
    Reuben

----
    Already solved! I had two precomps called "lower" and both of them had their respective flags and marks, so, just had to change the name to "lower_somethingelse" and it worked.

So, tip of the day, don't mess with your precomp names or the script won't work as expected :)

----
    Already solved! I had two precomps called "lower" and both of them had their respective flags and marks, so, just had to change the name to "lower_somethingelse" and it worked.

So, tip of the day, don't mess with your precomp names or the script won't work as expected :)

Glad you solved it! You can actually change your pre-comp names anytime you like at any point in the process, Marker Remap won't break. You just can't have two pre-comps named the same, or MR will only grab retiming information from the first pre-comp it finds in your project list. 
  • Is there any way to stagger markers?
  • Is there any way to stagger markers?
    Do you mean stagger markers across multiple layers? I haven't put that functionality in, although it's possible to do so in a future version, thanks for the suggestion. In the meantime, you could:
    1. Line up your layers and all your markers on the same frame
    2. stagger the layers using your preferred methods or scripts
    3. Reset the layer InPoints so that the layers come in at the same time (but the markers remain staggered)
    Not optimal, and may not be helpful for more than just a simple scenario, but i'll consider a stagger feature for a future release. Hope that helps! 
  • Hi! Purchased this without realizing that it is not compatible with AE 2021. Will you have an update soon?
  • Hi! Purchased this without realizing that it is not compatible with AE 2021. Will you have an update soon?
    Hello Justin! Marker Remap is compatible with AE 2021. I just now updated the backend aescripts.com compatibility setting to reflect that. If it's not showing up for you in the aescripts Manager app, it may take a day or so for the database to kick in. You can always install it manually by placing the "Marker Remap.jsxbin" file into your Scripts > ScriptUI Panels folder, and then paste your license manually. Sorry about that! And thanks for the ping to let me know it wasn't triggering. 
  • Hello Reuben,

Sadly markerRemap is not working properly on AE 2021. I installed both manually and using the extension manager. It works fine for a couple of seconds but then the whole UI stops working. If you close the pannel and try to invoque it again it gives you the following error: unable to execute script at line 3348: undefined is not an object

error.png
    342 x 106 - 3K
  • Hello Reuben,

Sadly markerRemap is not working properly on AE 2021. I installed both manually and using the extension manager. It works fine for a couple of seconds but then the whole UI stops working. If you close the pannel and try to invoque it again it gives you the following error: unable to execute script at line 3348: undefined is not an object

Hello Daniel! Sorry to hear you are experiencing issues. It has been tested on AE 2021 and I haven't run into any problems on my end. Are you able to send me link to a screen recording or a project file that is not working on your end?
  • It seems it was being caused by a compostition named "audio" i deleted it and it works fine now
  • It seems it was being caused by a compostition named "audio" i deleted it and it works fine now
    Great! Glad you solved it. Best wishes on your projects and thanks for supporting Marker Remap!
  • Downloaded the demo version of Marker Remap and although it works great it messes up my interfase to the point that it makes it unusable. I removed the script and everything went back to normal.

Four things that happened while the script was running:

1. I would launch AE and the composition panel (which I keep on a separate monitor) was nowhere to be found, even after I tried to load it using a shortcut it never showed.

2. Trying to switch prom the effects control panel to the project panel (by clicking on the little corner arrows) would not work and crashed the program.

3. The welcome window does not show after launching the program, I had to open whatever recent project I was working on by going to File>Open Recent, and only after opening it the welcome window would show up, if I clicked on the shortcut for the project already opened the program crashes.

4. If I switch applications to use anything else and then tried to go back to AE it would not go to the front of my applications. It stays behind whatever I was using before, Premiere Pro, for example.
  • Hi,

I'm sort of weighing my options still, does MarkerRemap allow me to trigger animations in a precomp within another comp using the markers? 
  • Hi,

I'm sort of weighing my options still, does MarkerRemap allow me to trigger animations in a precomp within another comp using the markers? 
    Hello Andrew: Yes you can. You just have to identify each animation segment with a split marker range in your child comp. If you want to use single, unsplit markers to trigger animations, then consider something like Trigger instead. 
  • Hi Daniel,

I'd like to suggest a feature.  I'll typically have 30 or 40 Markers to pick from.  Sometimes they have long labels.

It would be nice if the ui could expand to see the full name of each marker.  Scrolling only can be slow when you need to be speedy.

thanks
  • Hi Daniel,

I'd like to suggest a feature.  I'll typically have 30 or 40 Markers to pick from.  Sometimes they have long labels.

It would be nice if the ui could expand to see the full name of each marker.  Scrolling only can be slow when you need to be speedy.

thanks
    Hi Jason, thanks for taking the time to provide that feedback. I totally agree, on certain projects i've felt the same way. After Effect's ScriptUI framework doesn't provide for a lot of responsiveness, but i think it's worth revisiting that dialogue box again. Are you mainly looking for more horizontal width? Or would you be interested in vertical height as well?
  • Hi Jason, thanks for taking the time to provide that feedback. I totally agree, on certain projects i've felt the same way. After Effect's ScriptUI framework doesn't provide for a lot of responsiveness, but i think it's worth revisiting that dialogue box again. Are you mainly looking for more horizontal width? Or would you be interested in vertical height as well?
    Well I'm not a picky person - but if I were, both would be ideal.  I also understand that limitations are what they are.  So basically anything would be a most welcomed improvement.  

I can't begin to tell you how indispensable your script is to me.  I develop game scenarios and this simplifies my comps like nobody's business.  I even went out of my way to mock up a Kbar Icon for it (which holds the #1 spot).

Thanks man!
  • Hi Jason,
    My version (1.5.1) seems to not be working with AE2021:
    - Sometimes the UI won't register that a marker is available in the precomp, but if I manually make a triggering marker and name it correctly the time-remapping works.

- I'm getting the same "Unable to execute script at line 3348" error that Daniel got a few months back. 

• Hi Jason,
    My version (1.5.1) seems to not be working with AE2021:
    - Sometimes the UI won't register that a marker is available in the precomp, but if I manually make a triggering marker and name it correctly the time-remapping works.

- I'm getting the same "Unable to execute script at line 3348" error that Daniel got a few months back. 

Hello Andrew, sorry to hear you've run into that issue! Can you send me a copy of your AE file so I can take a look on my end?
  • Woops, sorry I got your name wrong. 

• Woops, sorry I got your name wrong. 

Hello Andrew! See this brief screen recording to see if it helps you:
  • Thanks so much for taking the time to check on this. It WAS in fact the comp naming issue you mentioned at the end of the video. I renamed the problematic comp to something unique as I had another "05" in the project elsewhere, and it's working now.
    Thanks again.

Woops, sorry I got your name wrong. 

Hello Andrew! See this brief screen recording to see if it helps you:

• For anyone wondering: this tool is really useful and might be even a game changer!

I'm working on a project that I'm going to give to my client and my client is going to use that project to create new videos. Basically I'm creating a template with the difference that it's going to be in use only by one client. Is using MarkerRemap okay with this kind of template or with templates in general. It would be cool the enable certain control with markers that client can move around etc.

Thanks so much for this awesome tool!
  • For anyone wondering: this tool is really useful and might be even a game changer!

I'm working on a project that I'm going to give to my client and my client is going to use that project to create new videos. Basically I'm creating a template with the difference that it's going to be in use only by one client. Is using MarkerRemap okay with this kind of template or with templates in general. It would be cool the enable certain control with markers that client can move around etc.

Thanks so much for this awesome tool!
    Hey Mikka, thanks for the good word on Marker Remap! Also thanks for asking about usage in templates. Feel free to use in either client templates or templates for sale as long as you leave the Marker Remap comment that appears in the time remap expression. Best wishes on your templates!
  • Hi, your script is really great, but is there a way to avoid sound strange bips when repeting markers with sound ? I tried to fade in and out the sound in the precomps, but in the main comp there is still clicks each time exept the first time the sound is played...
  • Hi, your script is really great, but is there a way to avoid sound strange bips when repeting markers with sound ? I tried to fade in and out the sound in the precomps, but in the main comp there is still clicks each time exept the first time the sound is played...
    Hello! Thanks so much for the good word on Marker Remap, I hope it's been helpful to you. I don't have the sound issues on my end. It should be noted that Marker Remap only leverages the normal native time remapping functions. So if it's happening with a Marker Remap marker, it will also happen with straight Time Remapping keyframes. But one thing you can check is to make sure that both comps are the same frame rate. If they are not, the Time Remapping algorithms need to compensate by calculating partial frames, which may land in odd places in your sound file. Let me know if that helps. If not, feel free to send me a link to your project and I can take a look on my end.
  • Hello again, it appears that this sound problem is inherent to AE with time remap driven with expressions. Anyway the problem disappears when I bake to keyframes.
    Thanks
  • Hello again, it appears that this sound problem is inherent to AE with time remap driven with expressions. Anyway the problem disappears when I bake to keyframes.
    Thanks
    ok good to know, glad you resolved it! i'll keep an eye our for future scenarios like that
  • This looks really useful for my workflow but I often have projects I've built sent to others for further work. If a file built with Marker Remap was sent to someone who does not have it installed for amends of reworking, would they be able to work on it?
  • This looks really useful for my workflow but I often have projects I've built sent to others for further work. If a file built with Marker Remap was sent to someone who does not have it installed for amends of reworking, would they be able to work on it?

Absolutely! The Marker Remap panel adds expressions to the Time Remap field that continue to work without the panel installed. In addition to actually adding the expression, the panel is instrumental in managing markers, which would no longer be neede after the project is completed. You can also bake the Time Remapping key frames for hard coded remapped key frames.
  • Hello! Can I move multiple markers at the same time? I'm trying to figure this out, but the thing doesn't work. Thanks in advance!
  • Hello! Can I move multiple markers at the same time? I'm trying to figure this out, but the thing doesn't work. Thanks in advance!

Hello Steven, yes you can! You can do it one of two ways: 

1) place your cursor anywhere within the first marker of the sequence you want to move. Then in the panel, where is says “SHIFT NEXT”, switch it from ALL to the number input. Put a number there to indicate how many of the next markers to move. When you click the SHIFT RIGHT or SHIFT LEFT buttons, all the corresponding markers will move. Remember you can also press SHIFT when you SHIFT RIGHT or LEFT to shift in increments of 10 frames. 

Or

2) set the work area to encompass the markers you want to move. Hover over the COPY button to see the options for copying. Copy the markers within the work area. Then DELETE the markers within the work area and paste to a new location on the timeline. I need to implement a proper CUT feature. Will do that on the next release, so it’s an easier CUT and PASTE workflow.

Hope that helps!

Hello Steven, yes you can! You can do it one of two ways: 

1) place your cursor anywhere within the first marker of the sequence you want to move. Then in the panel, where is says “SHIFT NEXT”, switch it from ALL to the number input. Put a number there to indicate how many of the next markers to move. When you click the SHIFT RIGHT or SHIFT LEFT buttons, all the corresponding markers will move. Remember you can also press SHIFT when you SHIFT RIGHT or LEFT to shift in increments of 10 frames. 

Or

2) set the work area to encompass the markers you want to move. Hover over the COPY button to see the options for copying. Copy the markers within the work area. Then DELETE the markers within the work area and paste to a new location on the timeline. I need to implement a proper CUT feature. Will do that on the next release, so it’s an easier CUT and PASTE workflow.

Hope that helps!
    Thanks for the Reply. I just want to be able to move a whole bunch of markers on multiple layers to the current time indicator quickly. It only works backwards. It only works when I'm in between an In & Out marker set. 

I want to be able to move marker at will and not be in between markers in order to use that function. I figured out the copy and paste method. Thanks