BAO Dynamic Comp
  • Hi,

Good point!
    I'm planning an update soon, so I'll try my best to include it.

Cheers,
    François
  • Hi François,
    After buying this script and playing with it several hours, I think there's a problem with collecting adobe illustrator files, it seems to be destroyed the illustrations and combines everything together.
    Is this known issue ?
  • Hi,
     don't use illustrator that much, so I didn't see this problem yet...
    Can you open a support ticket and send me a project so I can check?
    Thanx,
    François
  • Hi François,
    I already opened a support ticket, but I don't know how to send it to you !

this is my support ticket number #1026040

• Thanx, I've received it. I'll let you know as soon as I found a solution.

Cheers,
    François
  • Dynamic Comp has became one of my favourite scripts.

Thanks to François.
  • I am noticing that the script does not notice if a layer is unparented from another layer when it is updated. Is this correct or am I doing something wrong?
  • Hi!

Can you open a support ticket and send me a .aep file (no sources needed) so I can check?

Cheers,
    François
  • I downloaded the trial today. I have 2 computers, both connected to a box.com account with folders synced to the hard drives. All shared assets that we regularly use are in a folder there so that they sync across multiple machines. I installed this on computer 1, exported a comp that has a precomp in it, with a precomp in it with text in it. I installed on computer 2 and imported the project that this exported. I changed the text and exported the parent comp (same comp as exported on computer 1), went back to computer 1, looked for an update, found it, updated it and all was wonderful in my world. We'll, that was just a test, so I needed to put the text back to what it was. Now, I can't get it to update on either machine once I change it on the other. I'm able to export, and it finds an update on the other machine, appears to successfully update, but the text stays the same no matter what I do. Is this a precomp bug because I'm only changing the precomp and not the main comp? Am I missing something?
  • Ok. I read the manual I found below (which is different from the one that ships with it) and think I have my previous problem figured out, although I haven't tested that yet. Now I have a new problem.

I selected several comps and precomps to export. Now, I've made further changes to a precomp. How can I export the changes? When I try, it wants a new name and location to save, which I assume doesn't work as intended. I simply want the precomp I've already exported to be up to date on the hard drive. Feels like in addition to the "update composition" button, there should be a "update linked project" button as well.
  • Hi Gary, and sorry for the late reply.

The link between your comp and the project is probably broken.
    Can you open a support ticket and send me a file (no sources needed) ?
    So I can check precisely... T
    Cheers,
    François
  • Hallo,
    I tried the script's trial version and It works fine. How many computers can you run a script license at the same time?
    Thanks.
  • Hallo,

I tried the script's trial version and It works fine. How many computers can you run a script license at the same time?
    Thanks.
    The license allows for the software to be installed on up to two computers as long as they are not being used at the same time. If you need to install it on more than two computers or use them at the same time you will need additional licenses.
  • Hi,
    I tried the script with a colleague via dropbox yesterday.
    First he was on a mac and I was on PC, using CC2018. It worked in one direction. Means, Hecould import/update changes I made to projects/exported layers he had created. The other way arond we could not get it to work. I could not see/import/update what he had changed.
    When I switched to a mac, too, it worked.
    Does it mean one should not collaborate with different systems? Or was that just something.... don't even know what to call it...
    Otherwise I like it. And might purchase.
  • Hi,
    I tried the script with a colleague via dropbox yesterday.
    First he was on a mac and I was on PC, using CC2018. It worked in one direction. Means, Hecould import/update changes I made to projects/exported layers he had created. The other way arond we could not get it to work. I could not see/import/update what he had changed.
    When I switched to a mac, too, it worked.
    Does it mean one should not collaborate with different systems? Or was that just something.... don't even know what to call it...
    Otherwise I like it. And might purchase.
    Hi,

there is no incompatibility between Mac and PC, so I guess there was something else going on. May be the 2 computers didn't use the same AE version?
    You can try manually importing the aep project in your own project, see if AE sends any warning like "this project was created with a more recent version of After Effects", or something similar...

If you still have issues, you can open a support ticket and we'll try to see what's causing the trouble.

Cheers,
    François
  • Hi! I am using the trial and I cant even export the composition!
    I dont know if this helps, but I am getting this error message
    "Unable to execute script at line 128. Invalid Image data."
  • Hi! I am using the trial and I cant even export the composition!
    I dont know if this helps, but I am getting this error message
    "Unable to execute script at line 128. Invalid Image data."
    Hi,

can you open a support ticket and send me your file? I'll have a look, see what's going wrong.

Cheers,
    François
  • Can you add new compositions to the DynamicComp (source comp) without exporting new comps into new AEP files?

My use case would be to have an AEP/DynamicComp for comps that repeat within different  AEPs/projects. For an example if I animate a logo for a client, that animation would be used over various projects. But what if I would like to have a comp that contains the logo animation and a growing number of other comps that I would like to use in those same projects? How can I add new comps to a AEP file that is "Dynamically Linked" to another comp?

I tried re-importing the "Dynamically Linked" AEP and it worked, but I don't see this working too well for various reasons. Would it be possible to have a feature in DC that would enable adding new comps etc, without "re-exporting" everything and the re-importing. If this sounds bit confusing, it is because I'm quite confused =D I would love to find a way to incorporate this tool to my workflow, but not sure if I can do it in  a way that I would like.
  • Can you add new compositions to the DynamicComp (source comp) without exporting new comps into new AEP files?

My use case would be to have an AEP/DynamicComp for comps that repeat within different  AEPs/projects. For an example if I animate a logo for a client, that animation would be used over various projects. But what if I would like to have a comp that contains the logo animation and a growing number of other comps that I would like to use in those same projects? How can I add new comps to a AEP file that is "Dynamically Linked" to another comp?

I tried re-importing the "Dynamically Linked" AEP and it worked, but I don't see this working too well for various reasons. Would it be possible to have a feature in DC that would enable adding new comps etc, without "re-exporting" everything and the re-importing. If this sounds bit confusing, it is because I'm quite confused =D I would love to find a way to incorporate this tool to my workflow, but not sure if I can do it in  a way that I would like.
    Hi Miika,

I think what you try to do is already doable with DC.
    So, let's say you have a 'Logo' comp, saved as logo.aep. This comp is linked and used in various other projects.
    Now, if you work inside logo.aep, all the comps you'll add will be added to the other projects (after update, of course), as long they are used by the 'logo' comp.
    If you meant to add new comps that are NOT used by the 'logo' comp, here's a simple workaround: just add them to the 'logo' comp, and make them invisible.

Hope it helps! And if I misunderstood what you meant, just let me know :-)

Cheers,
    François

Hi Miika,

I think what you try to do is already doable with DC.
    So, let's say you have a 'Logo' comp, saved as logo.aep. This comp is linked and used in various other projects.
    Now, if you work inside logo.aep, all the comps you'll add will be added to the other projects (after update, of course), as long they are used by the 'logo' comp.
    If you meant to add new comps that are NOT used by the 'logo' comp, here's a simple workaround: just add them to the 'logo' comp, and make them invisible.

Hope it helps! And if I misunderstood what you meant, just let me know :-)

Cheers,
    François
    Cool & thanks for you answer! It would be cool if in addition to "dynamic comps" you could have "dynamic projects". Basically just adding either a checkbox (import project) or EXPORT PROJECT / UPDATE PROJECT. This would be handy when the whole project/AEP is something you wanna dynamically link to other projects. In my case I would use this to have certain brand elements on a dynamically linked project. If I buy this, I'll have to use your workaround.

The only thing that was bit bothering was that when updating a comp, the current project needs to be closed. If you have heavy project, that operation might be quite cumbersome. Although if that is needed for the tool to work, then it needs to go that way.
  • Cool & thanks for you answer! It would be cool if in addition to "dynamic comps" you could have "dynamic projects". Basically just adding either a checkbox (import project) or EXPORT PROJECT / UPDATE PROJECT. This would be handy when the whole project/AEP is something you wanna dynamically link to other projects. In my case I would use this to have certain brand elements on a dynamically linked project. If I buy this, I'll have to use your workaround.

The only thing that was bit bothering was that when updating a comp, the current project needs to be closed. If you have heavy project, that operation might be quite cumbersome. Although if that is needed for the tool to work, then it needs to go that way.
    Sorry, 'Dynamic comp' was written to work with compositions, and keeping track of whole projects would be a totally different structure... The script uses After Effects native functions, that's what makes it strong, but also it has the very limitations of AE (like saving / closing / reopening taking some time...).

Hope it will fit your needs anyway :-)

Cheers,
    François
  • I get an error and it does not work with Aftereffects 2022.
    How can I use this tool? Please update the script.

This issue has been resolved by developer support.
    Thank you very much!
  • I get an error and it does not work with Aftereffects 2022.
    How can I use this tool? Please update the script.
    Hi,

I've just used it with AE 2022 without any issue.
    Can you open a support ticket and tell me more about the error you get?

Cheers,
    François
  • I'm curious about a couple of things after trying the demo...

First off, f**king brilliant addon. Possibly one of the most useful and fills an egregious gap left by Adobe. Nice work.

But...

How resilient is this in practice? I am assuming that it is storing some kind of hash that tell the script what it is, in each project? Or is it a DB and how do others, running the same plug get on with getting assets ypu have created. And we all have a story of upgrading AE and it completely wrecking workspace and script setups. I'm curious how it maintains or if it can maintain its structure under such circumstances or even when say you do a clean installation.

Thanks

Mark
  • I'm curious about a couple of things after trying the demo...

First off, f**king brilliant addon. Possibly one of the most useful and fills an egregious gap left by Adobe. Nice work.

But...

How resilient is this in practice? I am assuming that it is storing some kind of hash that tell the script what it is, in each project? Or is it a DB and how do others, running the same plug get on with getting assets ypu have created. And we all have a story of upgrading AE and it completely wrecking workspace and script setups. I'm curious how it maintains or if it can maintain its structure under such circumstances or even when say you do a clean installation.

Thanks

Mark
    Hi,

the script keeps track of the associated AE projects right inside each project, so it doesn't rely on outside documents. That makes it very simple and stable, and there's been no bug so far.
    Of course, if you move your projects, you'll need to relink them (like you do in AE with missing footage...). But updating AE or even your OS won't affect the links.

Cheers,
    François
  • This tool is really useful! 

Few ideas:
    -Compact UI (as an alternative to the current).
    -I would prefer if the script would name the "dynamic" composition with a PREFIX/SUFFIX and the file too. This should also be an alternative for those who prefer it. I mean this would help seeing that this comp named for an example AEDC_MyAwesomeLogoAnimation.aep is dynamically linked and also if the COMP would have some PREFIX/SUFFIX it would help noticing that this comp can be updated. Obviously I can do this manually, but in a way could be handy new feature for those who would find it useful.

Anycase thanks for the tool. I don't share projects with anyone with DC2, but my idea is that I create assets for my projects and have dynamic link to these assets. For an example if I make changes to an logo animation that is dynamically linked, I can easily update the logo in projects for that client with DC2.
  • This tool is really useful! 

Few ideas:
    -Compact UI (as an alternative to the current).
    -I would prefer if the script would name the "dynamic" composition with a PREFIX/SUFFIX and the file too. This should also be an alternative for those who prefer it. I mean this would help seeing that this comp named for an example AEDC_MyAwesomeLogoAnimation.aep is dynamically linked and also if the COMP would have some PREFIX/SUFFIX it would help noticing that this comp can be updated. Obviously I can do this manually, but in a way could be handy new feature for those who would find it useful.

Anycase thanks for the tool. I don't share projects with anyone with DC2, but my idea is that I create assets for my projects and have dynamic link to these assets. For an example if I make changes to an logo animation that is dynamically linked, I can easily update the logo in projects for that client with DC2.
    Hi,

sorry for the late reply. Glad you like the script !
    I'll try to think of your PREFIX/SUFFIX idea for the next updates.
    And the way you use the script is actually very close to what I designed it for in the first place.
    I was mostly 'sharing' projects with myself... But after a while, it seemed like a good idea to be able to share them with others :-)

Cheers,
    François
  • Hi script not work with AE 2023
  • Hi script not work with AE 2023
    Hi,

it works on my side so far... Did you get any error message ?

Cheers,
    François
  • Hello Francois,

has this script a floating license ?
    If I activate the licence on one computer, can I activate it on another one ?

Thanks !
  • Hello Francois,

Thanks !
    Hi!

I've just updated the licensing framework, so floating license should be available.

Cheers,
    François

• Hello Francois,

Thanks !

The "Single User License" allows for the software to be installed on up to two computers that belong to you as long as they are not being used at the same time. If you need to install it on more than two computers or use them at the same time you will need additional licenses. 

The "Floating Server License" can be installed on as many computers as you'd like but it must be used in conjunction with our Floating License Server (https://aescripts.com/floating-license-server/) and can also only be used by one user at a time so you will need enough licenses to match your users.

Please see the License Type FAQ for further details: https://aescripts.com/knowledgebase/index/view/faq/license-type-faq/

Please see the Floating License FAQ for further details: https://aescripts.com/knowledgebase/index/view/faq/floating-license-faq/
  • Can you use this with something as simple as a drop box account or does everyone need to be networked?
  • Can you use this with something as simple as a drop box account or does everyone need to be networked?
    Hi,

as long as everyone has access to the .aep project(s), it should work fine.
    The best way to be sure is to try it. The trial is free :-)

Cheers,
    François
  • Hi, please tell me when there will be a version for After 24?
  • Hi, please tell me when there will be a version for After 24?
    Hi,

there's no need for a specific version for AE 24, the current version will be compatible.

Cheers,
    François