Layer Groups 2
  • Great, thnaks for the update :)
  • No probs hope you like it and thanks for the support.
  • Cannot seem to dock the window. It comes up as a very narrow column and I cannot even grab the bottom right corner to stretch it horizontally.
    Screen shot 2013-11-04 at 12.12.00 PM.JPG
    541 x 581 - 51K
  • Cannot seem to dock the window. It comes up as a very narrow column and I cannot even grab the bottom right corner to stretch it horizontally.
    Hi Lee, you need to make sure the script is in the Script UI panels directory and launch it from the window menu. You seem to have launched it via the File>Scripts menu.....
  • Bingo! That was it! Thanks!!! :)
  • Alan, 

This script is a godsend.  We just finished a commercial info-graphic for HP and this came in quite handy as we had LOTS of assets to manage within comps.  What a breath of fresh air this was!  Thank you for making it available in CC finally!

Best,

Tobias
  • Hi Tobias, thanks for that- Do you have a link to your website and may I twitter the hell out of your compliment!?
  • Hey Alan,

I got this weird glitch - if i isolate and un-isolate grouped layer by clicking 'i' button, all layer groups unfold. 
    It's not a massive headache - i just have to click 'expand group' button and then collapse them again to have them the same way i had them before i isolate something. If there's a quick fix, it would be great - having to re-collapse each group after i isolate something adds up.

Other than that - this script is awesome and  i really love it  :)

Thank you!

Layer Groups v2
    AE CC.2.0.52
    Windows 7 x64 SP1

• Ok got it, will put it on the fix list, thanks for letting me know.
  • Might be missing it, but is there a solution for groups breaking certain expression connections, e.g., when grouping a malty Camera setup, the camera controls are broken. I can go inside my group, rename those layers back to normal and relink each expression, but it seems a hassle. Great script otherwise!!!
  • Might be missing it, but is there a solution for groups breaking certain expression connections, e.g., when grouping a malty Camera setup, the camera controls are broken. I can go inside my group, rename those layers back to normal and relink each expression, but it seems a hassle. Great script otherwise!!!
    Hi there, yes - that's in settings - disable 'Use tree indentation'. If it's after the fact, just rename the layers getting rid of the indentation. Otherwise if you change the setting, by default it will not rename the constituent layers (although they read better when renamed...)
  • Hey, Trying out the plugin. Looks great!   However, I'm having an issue with the trial ,collapsing the layers.   They hide and then unhide.  (Looks like somehow the layers get automatically un-shyed immediately after.    I thought it was a conflict with another script but I can't seem to figure it out.  Any Thoughts?   On a mac with latest version of CC.
    Could a plugin that I had installed before perhaps have screwed something up?   I haven't done a full troubleshoot yet mainly because I'm trying to get a project out the door and also, I wanted to make sure that wasn't just something the trial does.  (this is day one)

williamjdownesatmedotcom
  • Not sure what i did different but it works.   whatever it was, all my important scripts and plugins are still in there.
  • Hey William, the script takes full control of shying, so you have to relinquish control of that to the script, so avoid a mixed workflow. ie. don't shy individual layers etc because when using the script it scans all layers in the comp and operates on them. Does that help... 
    Try it out in a dummy comp first to get used to it - try different permutations etc.
  • There are settings to disable some stuff to help with existing expressions too. If you need me to illustrate anything, I can pop a vid up on YT no problem.
  • Seems to be working nicely now.  buying it today!  Keep up the good work!
  • Hello,
    when i open LayerGroups script panel, it always prompts me to enter the license code. When i do, it says "Sorry, the license code is not valid".
    The script was registered in the previous version of AE - AE CC - and i still have the script working in AE CC which is installed on my computer.
    Is it possible to have LayerGroups script running on both versions of AE or do i have to buy a separate license?

---update: license code issue was resolved, script works both in AE CC and AE CC2014.
  •  Hi Katya, glad the issue is resolved, Please rewatch the video again to become familiar with limitations. 
    For example using the delete key on a group layer doesn't delete the group so you have to use the little buttons as the script is quite `independent` to After Effects in some ways. 
    Post again if any questions... thanks.
  • Hi, i purchased your script to be able to make character rigging and animation less troublesome. Somehow the grouping messes up all scripting concerning nulls to Puppettool Pins, controllers etc. Even if all layers that are connected and parented are put in one group. I disabled 'Use pretty pointers' and 'Use tree indentation' but the script renames layers anyway with a ' | -' up front. renaming the layers does not fix the connection and i have to start all over again creating pins, nulls etc.
    Is this script limited in working with scripting in layers or do i have to switch on/of more buttons in the preferences panel?

Regards,

Nils

www.drifter.tv
  • Hi there, sorry on hols so not much internet access.
    1.restart script to implement change in settings.
    2.LG needs full control of shying and comments fields, so if another script is interferi g with that, the the workflow wont work.
    3 there is a button under more, that renames layers back to what they were, if you made the groups and the afterwards changed the settings.
    Tks will havr a closer look when back next wk.
  • Please please can you fix the Renaming layers problem which breaks all coding. Nils Muhlenbruch mentioned it in September. Love this app and want to buy it, am just trying now. I've got characters rigged up but as soon as I put some or all layers into a group, all the connections break as the parenting layers have been re-named. Such a great app but does not work for me if that isn't fixed. PS: absolutely love your intro video. 
  • Can you send me an example scene? When I turn off the indenting layers option, it just doesn't rename the layers... ?
  • Hi Alan.
    Just discovered Layer Groups, and downloaded the trial version. This is just what I was waiting for. Great work! Congrats.
    I'm going to test it for a while, and see if it's fully compatible with my workflow, and some projects I have started without your script.
    What are the limitations of the trial version, though? I could not find any so far.
    Thx.
  • No limitations!
  • I'm just starting to get used to using this (excellent) utility. Respectful observations for the author so far:

• I just don't think I can live with the hijacking of my precious, precious comments field... Been using AE since it was CODA and I rely so heavily on commenting my layers so I can return to projects and know what I was thinking...
    • Same thing applies to the hiding functionality. In many ways, this too is reserved for the LayerGroups. Have to find a way to live with this by using the features in LayerGroups.
    • Shift-clicking the Create new group icon does indeed parent selected layers to the newly created group, but in doing so, something very strange happens: the new group object is scaled to 30%, 30%, while the layer itself is scaled to 333%, 333%... Why? This makes all the usual scale animation procedures near impossible (not being able to start from 100%, 100%).
    • Unchecking "create group at average center of child objects" only kicks in after a complete restart of AE, not just a relaunch of the script. Small detail.
  • Hi Trevor, 
    Very useful feedback, thanks.
    1.Just looked at the 30pc thing and fixed it, just something simple so will update LG this week for download.
    2.Hiding and Shying ! Unfortunately without this hijacking, there is no Layer Groups, it's the only way we have 
    in terms of scripting using the restricted platform that is exposed to achieve this kind of "tagging" of layers. My script also aims to track the stacking order, so each one needs to be labeled in the background. At the moment there is no "live" way to track layers or history of activity like you have in other software. That might change but I doubt it. This was always as good as it gets! However the combination of this script and precomping I think makes project management a lot easier, or tidier at the least. 

3. Just tested "create group at average center of child objects" and re-opened the script and it had changed it on my machine. (Windows) What OS/version are you using... ? tks.
  • Thanks Alan.

Well, I've been using LG for a week on a project with more than 300 layers (it's an animated simulation of an app UI), and after a slow start, I'm now comfortable with the LG approach and thank you for it. I would have had to use deeply obscure pre-comping to 'simplify' my timeline, but now it's manageable. The thing I KEPT forgetting to do, was use the LG tool to rename groups. this got me in a real mess until I realized my mistake. I'd duplicate a group that was working so well, then manually rename it. I assume this just breaks the expressions... My bad.

One feature I'd love to see (now I'm comfortable with its idiosyncrasies) would be keyboard shortcuts for each of the tools — at least the two main ones, which for me are open and closing of folders. Is that a big undertaking? I'm STILL clicking on that black triangle to open the group (like Photoshop), then having to mouse over to the toolbar to click the open button. These seconds add up to hours over a week...

Many thanks again for a great product.

• Hey Trevor, 
    There is a little tick-box in settings to not change the layer names... so they are grouped etc, but your expressions would not break then, if an expression is referencing a layer by name. That should solve that problem if it's an issue for you. Frankly I think it's better to keep as is and make the fixes as the renaming just makes things easier to see. 
    The keyboard shortcuts is an issue, it is a big undertaking. The script would have to be split out into each section but the real issue is A. Messing with the users Shortcut file, which has the poetential to mess other things up. and B. the assignment is based on order of user scripts and how they are named. Basically there are too many pitfalls, unless Adobe gave us a secure, managable way to allow it. I will keep my eye on it and see what I can do in the future.
    Thanks.
    Alan
  • Hi Alan, 

I really like Layer Group, it's really useful

When I want to move the group layer to another place in the time line , the contacts of this group not moving with it ,, it that normal ?
  • Hi Alan, 

I really like Layer Group, it's really useful

When I want to move the group layer to another place in the time line , the contacts of this group not moving with it ,, it that normal ?
    Hey there, yes that is normal... the group layer just represents the layers "inside" the group. If you think about it if all the layers have different in/outs there are a lot of options if you trim in and out the group layer... ie should they all slide while dragging the start of the group layer... ? What would you do about layers that start at say -100 frames. Do you slide relative or trim to the in point....  
    So there were too many options to get it to work smoothly... also it would have to rely on the "auto update" feature, which isn't instant but updates as you use the plugin. Therefore when it becomes a bit complex like that it causes more problems than it solves... 

There is a button to trim the in and outs to match the children however, it's under more-stuff.
  • Thanks Alan, 

This script should be part of after effects , it’s really useful and makes things much more simple. I highly recommend this script for all users. 
  • Thanks a lot basem, it certainly solves some problems!
  • Hey Alan,

I've been messing around with the trial and I have a couple of thoughts:

1. It'd be nice if moving the timeline block that represents the group would move all objects contained within it.  Having to move everything independently kind of goes against the whole idea of using groups, in my mind.

2. Grabbing a group in the timeline and moving it downward should update the layer positions of its children.  For example, I had a situation where I moved the main group layer down to layer position 38, and it'd stay at layer position 38 while all of its children would somehow move to the top of the layer stack when that particular group was open.  This isn't intuitive.

3. Moving a group should automatically move the objects within it on the canvas, acting as a null.  Also, changing the opacity of the group "header" should also change the opacity of everything within it, much like Photoshop.  Maybe these two functions are already in there and I missed them, because they feel obvious, but I wasn't able to get them to function if they were.

Thanks,
    Matt
  • Hi Matt...  
    1. Moving group layer...
     the group layer just represents the layers "inside" the group. If you think about it if all the layers have different in/outs there are a lot of options if you trim in and out the group layer... ie should they all slide while dragging the start of the group layer... ? What would you do about layers that start at say -100 frames. Do you slide relative or trim to the in point....  
    So there were too many options to get it to work smoothly... also it would have to rely on the "auto update" feature, which isn't instant but updates as you use the plugin. Therefore when it becomes a bit complex like that it 
    causes more problems than it solves... 

2.The auto update feature does this - although not instantly - this is because Adobe does not allow live access to events like drag and drop of layer to scripts. I would have loved to do that but hands are tied, clunkier but no other option than what I have implemented - using any button will check that all layers are in correct group etc. Sorry.

3.Shift clicking group, gives the option of parenting and there is a setting in prefs for where null is placed - centre of comp or average centre of layers [this is in the vid.]
    3b. Like 1. some of the prinipals of photoshop cannot be translated directly due to added complexity. - ie say you have 12 layers with some animated opacity on some. Perhaps expressions controlling opacity on another...  If you changed the group layer's opacity do you add keyframes to layers below and what about existing expressions, skip them ? delete them ? If a layer is not active at the time, should you ignore or adjust the opacity... ?  There are even more questions... so I though it best to let the user have control of the children.  I could put an option to expression link the childs.opacity to the group parent but again that would negate expressions and keyframes.

Thanks for the interest...

• I understand what the group layer represents, I'm just saying it's not intuitive for it to not move the layer blocks associated with it, particularly when the group's collapsed.  You can move the layer block and be thinking you're moving the layer blocks within it, when you're not.

As for opacity, I'd think of it like this: the main block's opacity represents the percentage visible of each child separately.  For example, if one child is at 50% opacity, that'd mean lowering the main block's opacity to 50% would lower that child to 25%, and so on.  It'd use this method for layers that aren't keyframed and aren't operated by expressions.   Seems simple. ;)

Thank YOU for the interest!
  • I have a doubt with two situations that need to be resolved:

I 'll give an example of the first question. I have several letters of a word , and a randomly appear one to one, just like hangman game , and I have to change certain period of time, in fact twice a week , the word . I group the letter with its corresponding incidental sound, but when selected one of this letters to modify in the group to which it corresponds (the group is not collapsed to show the layers) are not active and would be very useful for me to automatically select the group when select the layer.

And the second and most important question ¿Can I copy these groups and paste them into another composition? because I tried to do, and quite simply no longer work groups , do not collapse , not displayed , nothing, just stop to work, and I need to copy all in another composition only for than these letters appear in groups of two o three in 3 different compositions, to make a sequence in different compositions and files, to form any word, like the game, but in four files.

Help me please, what can be done, thanks in advance for your kind reply.
  • I must add that recently bought the script , because I see a lot of potential , just want to solve these two situations pose, because they are very important to me, because I'm on a work I do periodically, and I bought the plugin, to save time and labor.

• I have a doubt with two situations that need to be resolved:

I 'll give an example of the first question. I have several letters of a word , and a randomly appear one to one, just like hangman game , and I have to change certain period of time, in fact twice a week , the word . I group the letter with its corresponding incidental sound, but when selected one of this letters to modify in the group to which it corresponds (the group is not collapsed to show the layers) are not active and would be very useful for me to automatically select the group when select the layer.

And the second and most important question ¿Can I copy these groups and paste them into another composition? because I tried to do, and quite simply no longer work groups , do not collapse , not displayed , nothing, just stop to work, and I need to copy all in another composition only for than these letters appear in groups of two o three in 3 different compositions, to make a sequence in different compositions and files, to form any word, like the game, but in four files.

Help me please, what can be done, thanks in advance for your kind reply.
    Ok - so think it might be an advantage to move a button that selects all layers in a group, so when drag group layer, it moves all the children- there is no automatic way to do this but bringing a button forward to select children, would be useful. You can do this now, in More Stuff - select children of groups. I could also tie the inpoints of the children to the group layer but need to have a think about it.

Point 2, yes you can copy them into another composition, you just need to make sure the child layers of the group are selected too. Also take note of the "shy" button at top of the comp panel, the layers may be there but are hidden from your view.
  • Hello - 
    still new to this - but 
    Trimming groups doesn't seem to trim the layers within? 
    Or am I missing something about this?
  • Hello - 
    still new to this - but 
    Trimming groups doesn't seem to trim the layers within? 
    Or am I missing something about this?
    Hi Sean, no it doesn't trim the hidden layers in the group, it's more of an organizational tool for tagging layers than the pre-comp paradigm which bakes all the layers into one layer. ie. then you can affect all layers similaneously whereas LG is a tool to keep all layers in the same composition and allow easier workflow with complex projects.
    Thanks
    A
  • Hi!

Great product. Layers are really the one big thing missing in AE.

Just one problem... We really need that shortcut to toggle open/close layers. How would I implement that in the shortcuts-prefs?

Erlend
  • Hi Erlend - sorry you can't at the moment. The implementation of assigning shortcuts in AE leaves a lot to be desired...

I have a vid on my channel re setting up a shortcut to run a script (for Isolate). It involves renaming the script and making sure that it is read as the first script in the directory and then assigning a shortcut. LayerGroups is a script that has lots of internal commands within the script, so setting this up manually for a simple script is fine but not for Layer groups.

We need to wait until there is a better API for the hot-keys in AE.

For reference... 

• I was actually going to raise this as a bug when I see others have made the same comment and been told it is how it is meant to work. But, to me this is one of the main reasons I want grouping, i.e., moving a group vertically in the timeline should move the content of that group along with the group. That's, after all, the main reason of a group, in my opinion. In fact, if possible, a group should just be treated as an in-line composition.
  • I was actually going to raise this as a bug when I see others have made the same comment and been told it is how it is meant to work. But, to me this is one of the main reasons I want grouping, i.e., moving a group vertically in the timeline should move the content of that group along with the group. That's, after all, the main reason of a group, in my opinion. In fact, if possible, a group should just be treated as an in-line composition.
    Hi Andreas - It's hard to fit all logic into this... think this is why Adobe doesn't `quite` do groups, because pre-comps are sort of groups -  and these layer groups leave all the layers "live" in the timeline.   I could link all the properties but then a lot of people wouldn't want that functionality either... Thanks for your comment.
  • I work with other artists so a project may go through several hands. Is it possible to strip off everything this plug-in does so I can hand it off to another artist (who may not own the plug-in). Also, in case another artist inherits a project where this has been used, how about a free script that will strip out all the LG formatting?
  • Hi Navarro, think all of that is covered in the script. If you hit the "More " button, there is a function - Expression Friendly - this will strip out the indentation, from child layers of the group...  so that will make everything sort of normal. The only other thing is the Group layer, that is just a Null layer... so they can be named whatever you like. There is also an option to not use the "Triangle" pointer in settings, so once you change that, it will strip off that character from the names too. 

So simple enough, is there anything here that is not covered ? Also there is a setting, "indentation" to not rename the child layers by default.
  • New version with mainly fixes, primarily, expressions should not break due to child layers being renamed... 

2.20  (Current version)  -  May 3, 2017

Child layer name change when working with groups will autofix existing expressions.

When un-baking (un-precomping) Layer expressions will work if they are still actually valid.

Minor settings changes as layer names won't break expressions now. 

Pretty pointers name changed to "Arrow Triangle". 

In a UI panel on closing settings window, Layer Groups will attempt to close panel and reload 
    itself, negating the need to restart the script manually. This allows quicker settings changes.

Option to not use Arrow Triangle in group name. (Used to show collapsed state). Users might want to
    do this if putting expressions on the Group Layer. ie. won't break if expanding and collapsing. 

Option to link opacity of Group Layer to children. This is done with expressions. You must have 
    `Use Arrow Triangles` disabled. (Group Layer name won't change on expand-collapse). So holding down Shift
    key on making group, will parent, so all transforms can be controlled by Group Layer, this addition adds
    the missing one, opacity.

Addition of [Move Group Up/Down] buttons.

Bug fixed where locked layers would prevent stacking and moving of layer groups. Auto stacking should work better.
    layers are unlocked, stacking applied and then relocked now.

[Select Child Layers] button added to UI +Shift, to select all children of selected groups.
    This can help with trimming and moving all child layers as a unit.

Removal of option to use < and V in place to the `Arrow pointer`- if using expressions,(referencing the name of the Group Layer) it's better for the Group Layer name to not be changing on collapse expand.
  • Hi, 
    Can you add an option to Lock group with the it contents ?

• Hi, 
    Can you add an option to Lock group with the it contents ?

Yes should be able to do that . . .