malty: Simple Camera Rig
  • Elementary is not my script and I do not own it, so I have no way of checking what's going wrong. There are only few things that could cause them not to work, but I have no way of checking what it is. Probably something quite simple. We can setup a TeamViewer remote desktop session and I'll see what I can do. Call me up on skype. My Skype ID is: maltaannon. We'll set it up. :)
  • Hey Jerzy,

Yes, I realise it's not your script and you have no support onus to get it fixed (could well be Elementary that need mods anyway) - but I'd sure appreciate it if you can take a look - i'll Skype you now

Cheers :)

• Mmm that's odd - I've got it working now - must have been something weird in my setup. Anyway, will keep plugging away now - hopefully it'll play nice together from now on :)
  • could well be Elementary that need mods anyway

How dare you write such a thing, Paul?! |-D
    No, seriously, I'm having trouble seeing how both products would clash, but who knows ...
  • lol - I love them all - all those lovely scripts to make my life easier :)

• Hi, I purchased Malty Simple Camera Rig a couple months back and everything worked fine. Now, when I try to launch Malty, I get the following error - "Unable to execute script at line 79. Object of type Function found where a Number, Array, or Property is needed." I'm running AE CC on Windows 7 (64 bit). I've tried replacing Malty with an older version but still getting the same error. Hope you can help.
  • Actually - try replacing it with a never version. The current one is 2.0.1. Just use the Try button on the product page, download, extract and replace. I remember this error. I saw it before and I fixed it. Should work fine. Let me know. Hope that helps :) How are you enjoying the rig?
  • Hi Jerzy, I tried with the newest version and I'm getting the same error. I really love this rig and hope I can get it working soon. Any suggestions? Could it be a problem with the config xml?
  • Ok. Let's move this discussion to the support ticket. Please make one. The comment section is only for pride and glory, not for bugs :P
  • Hi Jerzy, ticket created. Thanks :)
  • Where do you post a support ticket?
    Simple Camera Rig heading keyframes are not animating, I am on version 2.0.2
  • On the product page, top menu: Support > Contact and then "No thanks, I want to create a ticket". Please explain what are you trying to do and what you've done prior to animating the heading. I find it hard to believe that is simply does not animate. It's probably something else.
  • Hallo guys,
    I cannot keyframe Aperture parameter in malty: Rigged
    Camera (the value is always 20). But I've preatty keyframed Focus
    Distance... In both there is an Expression applied, okay,  but why then
    one I can manage it with the keyframeses and the other no?
    Please help!
  • Hallo guys,
    I cannot keyframe Aperture parameter in malty: Rigged
    Camera (the value is always 20). But I've preatty keyframed Focus
    Distance... In both there is an Expression applied, okay,  but why then
    one I can manage it with the keyframeses and the other no?
    Please help!

That's because you're not suppose to animate anything on the camera itself. If you wish to animate the Aperature (or any other setting) than use the Aperature settings in the Rig effect on the camControls layer, just like you do with every other parameter of the rig (like Heading).
  • Not sure what I am doing, but I don't have a panel in after effects for simple camera rig.  I am running Windows 7 AECC.  Any ideas.  It says it installed correctly.
  • Not sure what I am doing, but I don't have a panel in after effects for simple camera rig.  I am running Windows 7 AECC.  Any ideas.  It says it installed correctly.
    Did you install it in the ScriptUI Panels folder?  Also make sure the script file is not nested in a subfolder, it needs to be directly in the root of ScriptUI Panels
    Did you install it in the ScriptUI Panels folder?  Also make sure the script file is not nested in a subfolder, it needs to be directly in the root of ScriptUI Panels
    Actually that is not the case. The script has no panel and it should NOT be placed in the Scripts UI folder. Put it in whatever location you like. Best place for that would be the regular Scripts folder. Once it's there you can use File > Scripts > malty_SimpleCameraRig.jsx to run it. On top of that I think I replied to your ticket in the support section as well.

On top of that I recommend using ft-Toolbar to run the script. 
  • Hi. Can this be run on a renderfarm using AE Render Engine?

Thanks
  • Hi. Can this be run on a renderfarm using AE Render Engine?

Thanks
    I don't see why not. Depends on the config. You might get a warning when opening the project without the rig installed, however it will still work as usual. If the config ignores warnings than you should be fine.
  • Hi Jerzy,

What have you found as the best way to attach the rig to a motion path of some kind?

What I really want to do is draw a shape path (or at worst, a layer with mask path) in 3D (lined up to a ground plane), attach a null to that path, link SCR to the null and animate it along that path. This would also give me better control over the point on the path over time and allow me to stop and start along the path etc.

I did try the script "align to path" which works great in 2D but doesn't in 3D :(

Any suggestions?

Many thanks,

Paul.

• Oh, and I really want the camera to follow the path too - rather than 'skid out' around tighter bends etc - if that makes sense? Wonder if SCR is the right type of rig or not?
  • Hey Paul. I'm not sure if I'm following you. What you described is exactly what you'd have to do. Create a 3D Null, animate it, and then attach the camControls layerto it via parenting and you're set. Unless I'm missing something.
    Similar example is presented in the intro video tutorial at 19 minutes 30 seconds. http://vimeo.com/album/2410990/video/67048219

Hope that helps. Let me know.
  • Hi Jerzy,

Yes I've done that - except the camcontrols is the camera's POI right? So the camera does move but not oriented along the path.

I'm struggling to get my head around what the best approach is - but I THINK what I need is something more like a single node camera but with all the goodies your rig offers.

I did try setting the null that the SCR is parented to, to auto orient along the path but then of course, the camera can skid around, through 3D layers etc.

So I wonder if there's a good way to link the movement of the camera itself to the path of the null?

Am I making any sense? ;)

• It's hard to see what the problem is without actually looking at the project file. We can try a teamviewer session. I'll be at my workstation for the next 30 minutes. After that I'll be available tomorrow around the same time you posted your first comment. Contact me via FB and we can set it up.
  • Cool thanks - message you on Skype first tomorrow?

• I may not be on skype. Use Facebook.
  • Hi Jerzy,

Just to let you know - I had a re-think and sorted the camera animation so I'm all good now thanks. Thanks for the offer of help though :) Much appreciated.

Cheers,

Paul.

• Happy to hear that. Always do things The Maltaannon Way - think twice, do once :) Hope to see the result of your work :)
  • If I send an After Effects file to another person, will they need the Simple Camera Rig script ?

will it work without them having the script?
  • If I send an After Effects file to another person, will they need the Simple Camera Rig script ?
    will it work without them having the script?
    Yes it will. They will not be able to create a new rig and they may will encounter some errors, but it generally work, but it is not recommended to do any changes. If you wish to send the project to someone the best thing to do would be this:
    • create a blank composition (lets call it "Bake") that matches the composition with your camera
    • create a Mimic Camera using the rig for your main composition and move it to the "Bake" composition
    • when in "Bake" composition, select the Mimic Camera you've just pasted there and press EE to reveal all expressions
    • select the revealed parameters one by one and go to Animation > Keyframe Assistant > Convert expressions to keyfraes
    • once that is done for each parameter you can copy the Mimic Camera to the original composition and remove the original Rig and all it's assosiated layers
    This should prevent all potential problems.
    Hope that helps
  • I love the script. As a tool in AE, it is brilliant!

My complaints concern only the installation process:

Every time I have to install this (which has been fairly frequently due to AE updates) I dread the process.

1) copy script files into Scripts directory.
    2) Open AE. Get error message about Scripts needing network access. Fix that and run again.
    3) Get error message about script needing read/write permissions enabled on some Adobe presets xml file. This is just absurd.
    4) Go to Finder. Navigate to deeply buried file. Authorize as Admin. Change file privileges.
    5) Restart AE and run script again. Script requests license code.
    6) Go to AEScripts and get license code.
    7) Finally able to use script.

It takes like five minutes to get this running.

I also have been bitten a few times by the project needing the script installed to be used on other AE installations. I'm not sure why this is, as the script just creates a complex setup of nulls and expressions. Those should work on other systems.
  • Thanks for the kind words. I've worked really hard to make it robust, simple and flexible at the same time. Glad you like it :)

As for the mentioned issues:

1) AE Updates
    This is strange. I haven't noticed that behavior nor anyone reported it except you. I'll look into it. I'm on CC too. You are totally right about the complex null setup, but in order to provide a specialized interface that is compact and comfortable to use the script needs to do some changes to some preference files in AE. That's why the "installation" process is needed. I am surprised that you have to go through this process every time AE has an update, because that would mean that all of the user settings get overwritten. Maybe you have a checkbox "Clear user preferences on exit" selected in your AE Cloud settings? I don't and everything works fine.

2) Other projects and other systems
    Again - you are right. It's just nulls with clever expressions and a custom build interface - and the lack of definition of that interface on a system that does not have SCR installer is what it causing the Warhning message - however the rig will still work in those projects as it should. It just gives the warning message that Simple Camera Rig cannot be found, but if it was present in the project (i.e. you give your project file to someone who does not have the rig) it will still work.

Hope that clears things up. As for the need to reinstall each time after updating - I'll look into it.
    Thanks for reporting it to me.
    Cheers.
  • Hi,  Just bought the rig and it says installed successfully please restart. after I restart it says there was an error.  I have attached the message.

So, I did everything in the tutorial on vimeo. But it still is not working. What do I use to edit the script file with on Mac to paste in the info into the presetEffects.XML file? maybe I used the wrong application? Has anyone on Mac had the same issue and how did you fix it.

I need to use the rig for a big animation job urgently.
    Screen Shot 2014-02-26 at 11.54.13 AM.png
    424 x 230 - 36K
  • You can use any text editor, but the simpler the better. Do not use Pages, since it can add some invisible markers to the file that will mess it up. Use some pure text editor. I'm sure there's such a tool on every mac - I I think it's called TextEdit. Just open the PresetEffects.xml in that, make the changes, save the file, and run AE. Make sure that while you're doing the changes AE is not running. You should be golden. Sorry for the trouble. It that doesn't help find me on Skype and call me. I'll help.
  • I will try again tonight.  I have a deadline. Do you know where on a Mac to delete the prefs file for the script?
  • Why do you want to delete the prefs? I don't remember exactly, but it;s something like: HDD\UserName\Library (or Resources)\Adobe\After Effects and so on. There should be a file named something like After Effects Preferences 12.0 x64.txt
  • Ok.  I tried again.  The reason I bought the rig is so I don't have to do scripting myself because I have no idea what to do and I thought that this would make my life easier.  I thought removing the prefs would help with the fresh install but it didn't.  I went through the tut again and still no joy.  I tried to paste the info into the XML file but got the following errors when I tried to save. (see attached) and so I couldn't save it.  Again I need to emphasize I am in no ways a programmer so I am really nervous adding and deleting information that could potentially "break" after effects or create issues with the application.

I am frustrated as you can probably tell.  Please can someone with a Mac that has had to do a manual installation give some help.  The vimeo tut shows PC instructions but I don't even know for example if you can run AE as administrator on a mac? I wouldn't even know where to begin to do that.

In short there seems to be nothing simple with the rig. What am I doing wrong?
    Screen Shot 2014-02-26 at 9.01.35 PM.png
    607 x 653 - 172K
    Screen Shot 2014-02-26 at 9.05.43 PM.png
    610 x 660 - 128K
  • Hi,

Have you had a chance to check?
  • Please add me on Skype. I'll look into the issue via TeamViewer. My SkypeID is: maltaannon
  • I am frustrated as you can probably tell.  Please can someone with a Mac that has had to do a manual installation give some help.  The vimeo tut shows PC instructions but I don't even know for example if you can run AE as administrator on a mac? I wouldn't even know where to begin to do that.

In short there seems to be nothing simple with the rig. What am I doing wrong?
    Hey Lyle,

I just installed this script on a Mac (OSX 10.6.8) for both CS5 and CS6.  Like you, I tried the auto install at first, and got the same error message that you posted earlier (the one about having to do a manual installation).

I followed the steps in the (un)Installing malty: Simple Camera Rig video and everything worked out for me.  I think the issue you may be having is the text editor application you are using to make the changes in the necessary .xml files - particularly when you see the error message that "<" is not a valid character or something like that.

I've found that things can get a little squirrelly when using some text editors to modify .xml files on the Mac, so I would recommend downloading Komodo Edit (it's free) and using that to make any manual changes to the .xml files.  That's what I used and everything went smooth - no need to trash preferences, run AE as an administrator, or anything like that.

On another note, this is an awesome script!  Tried out the trial version and then made the purchase.  Using cameras was always frustrating for me, but now things work "the way they should".  Highly recommend it for anyone doing any sort of camera work in AE.

Well done Jerzy!
  • Well, besides the fact that it is an awesome script I must just thank and comment Jerzy on his impeccable customer service.  An hour long skype call and a personal tutorial later and I am a total fan.

This is going to make my life infinitely easier working with cameras.  Just an FYI, it was another free script (i2cPresetsPack2) that I installed that was conflicting and making cray cray with the malty rig and Jerzy fixed that for me too so the rig is working perfectly but be aware of that when trouble shooting.

Thank you again for all the effort in getting the rig to work.  I know I gave some bad reviews on the discussion board but I take it all back. This is a great product and I recommend that if there is only one script you purchase off this site that it be the malty simple camera rig.

Thank you.

• a problem Im having is the world coordinate system I use with another script is not working. i have a world map sitting on the floor plane (can be seen directly from the top view). this makes the cam sliders unusable. Is there a fix for this?

edit: just fixed my neurological short circuit . I rotated the cam null!
  • This script doesn't seem to work for me unless I allow AE at every launch to allow firewall access, otherwise I get the 'Looks like installation failed' pop up. If i then re-launch and allow AE to access the firewall (which it now asks every time since installing the SimpleCameraRig). Is this really necessary?
  • This script doesn't seem to work for me unless I allow AE at every launch to allow firewall access, otherwise I get the 'Looks like installation failed' pop up. If i then re-launch and allow AE to access the firewall (which it now asks every time since installing the SimpleCameraRig). Is this really necessary?
    That's very interesting behavior, since the script has nothing to do with the internet. It doesn't connect to it in any way, not even to check for updates. I can't even begin to guess what's wrong. Maybe some strange admin privileges or something? I'll be happy to help you out via skype and teamviewer. Please add me on skype. My IDis: maltaannon. Contact me and we'll schedule a meeting to figure out what's going on.
  • I've been using this script for about a year now and it's just awesome! It's a vital part of my workflow and one of the few scripts that I just can't do without. Very intuitive and easy to use!
  • Thank you Maltaannon,

Your script is really awesome !
  • Hi,

I want to ask if it is possible to develop this script to make the Focus Target has the ability to keyframed OR to changed across the time to another selected layer ?

• Can someone please tell me how to effectively stop and start the camera with the cam speed settings? If I have a speed of 100, key it and set the speed to 0, I'd expect it to stop? But it goes back to the start. I'm building cam nulls to control the speed again, but that's the reason I bought the rig.
  • Can someone please tell me how to effectively stop and start the camera with the cam speed settings? If I have a speed of 100, key it and set the speed to 0, I'd expect it to stop? But it goes back to the start. I'm building cam nulls to control the speed again, but that's the reason I bought the rig.
    Seems like you're misusing the tool. You shouldn't be animating the Speed parameters, because that's what happens. There is a way to correct it with expressions, but it slows down rendering dramatically, so I didn't build it in. Watch this tutorial. It's all explained there:  The part about not animating the Speed parameters is around 21 min, however I recommend watching the entire thing.
  • I know its only been a day but this script doesn't work on AE CC 2014.