• Trial is not working for me. Does Blinky support variable font styles?
    The problem I have with regular typing presets is that you can't use different styles.
  • Trial is not working for me. Does Blinky support variable font styles?
    The problem I have with regular typing presets is that you can't use different styles.
    If you are using variable font styles you will need to disable the expression on the Source Text. This will prevent you from using the built-in Typewriter slider, but everything else should work fine.
  • I just bought it.
    It's not compatible with different languages.
    But what's even worse; it's not working with multiline, isn't it?
  • I just bought it.
    It's not compatible with different languages.
    But what's even worse; it's not working with multiline, isn't it?
    It should work with different languages...not sure what's going on there. It does not support multiline currently, but I do plan on adding it in the future.

For now you can request a request a refund by opening a ticket.
  • it wont let me try the demo, no trial option it just asks for license 
  • it wont let me try the demo, no trial option it just asks for license 
    Thanks for letting me know! I'll work on getting the trial working. In the meantime, I updated the trial version to include a demo. This will let you test out the basic functionality.
  • Thanks for updating the demo! i;ve tried it and seems its doesn't support Hebrew? 
  • Thanks for updating the demo! i;ve tried it and seems its doesn't support Hebrew? 
    If you change the name of the text layer to "Blinky Demo" it should technically work. This step is not required when using the script.

Since Hebrew is right to left, center text alignment won't work properly. Right and left alignment could work by setting the Cursor's text alignment to left and Text's alignment to right (or vice versa).
  • Trial doesn't seem to work? I get the license box popup but no demo/trial option?
  • Trial doesn't seem to work? I get the license box popup but no demo/trial option?
    Working on getting the trial version working. For now, you can try the Demo .aep file included with the trial to see Blinky in action.
  • Doesn't work. I add it to a text layer and it simply says "this project contains expression errors: error 1 if 2"
  • Doesn't work. I add it to a text layer and it simply says "this project contains expression errors: error 1 if 2"

Did you install the script in the Script UI folder? Would you be able to provide a screenshot?
  • I think it's worth noting that it doesn't work on text-layers with multiple lines, which is an essential feature IMO
  • I think it's worth noting that it doesn't work on text-layers with multiple lines, which is an essential feature IMO

Working on adding multi-line support soon!
  • Same problem as other people, "This project contains expression errors: error 1 if 2"
    It's well installed in Script UI folder, with the Aescript app.
  • Same problem as other people, "This project contains expression errors: error 1 if 2"
    It's well installed in Script UI folder, with the Aescript app.
    Sounds like it might be a problem with your expression engine settings. It should be set to JavaScript.

File > Project Settings > Expressions > Expression Engine = JavaScript

Let me know if that fixes the issue!

Did you install the script in the Script UI folder? Would you be able to provide a screenshot?
    Sounds like it might be a problem with your expression engine settings. It should be set to JavaScript.

Let me know if that fixes the issue!
  • Hi ! I cant make it work, when launching the script, it says: extComms error, Status Code -1. 

• Hi ! I cant make it work, when launching the script, it says: extComms error, Status Code -1. 

Did you install the script in the Script UI Panels folder?
    (Adobe After Effects 20XX > Scripts > Script UI Panels)

Yes I did. It was a firewall problem. But then, when I click on Blinky with a text layer selected, It creates the blinking cursor, but it's not tied with the text layer and it doesn't add the typewriter effect automatically. I added it manually, re-add the blinky on the text layer, still doesn't work, After effects 2022, v 22.2.1 Build 3. I really needed this to work. I think I'll ask for a refund.

Yes I did. It was a firewall problem. But then, when I click on Blinky with a text layer selected, It creates the blinking cursor, but it's not tied with the text layer and it doesn't add the typewriter effect automatically. I added it manually, re-add the blinky on the text layer, still doesn't work, After effects 2022, v 22.2.1 Build 3. I really needed this to work. I think I'll ask for a refund.

The typewriter effect will be applied to the text layer - not the cursor/shape layer. You should see this under the effect controls on the text layer. I will get your refund processed.
  • First of all it crashes my PC when downloaded trial version with sample AE project. Then when tried to run the script, it asks for activation number even though I downloaded a trial version. Crap script
  • First of all it crashes my PC when downloaded trial version with sample AE project. Then when tried to run the script, it asks for activation number even though I downloaded a trial version. Crap script
    Hadn't heard of the demo crashing, but will look into that. Indeed, the script does require a license (which is why I included the demo), but planning on adding a trial version too.
  • Just purchased, on a mac, the script doesn't seem to work. The blinky layer just spits out a black square, the expressions seem to be broken and not tied to the controls. No blinking at all. The typewriter part seems to work fine. Very wierd. 
  • Just purchased, on a mac, the script doesn't seem to work. The blinky layer just spits out a black square, the expressions seem to be broken and not tied to the controls. No blinking at all. The typewriter part seems to work fine. Very wierd. 

• Sounds like it might be a problem with your expression engine settings. It should be set to JavaScript.

I am on Javascript. It turns out it was the multi-line factor. On a single line layer it works BUT it changes the text formatting to a single color and ignores italic.  I have to match a code sequence for a client, but with blinky, the sourcetext expression kills the source text formatting (different colors for certain words and italic for certain words). I have narrowed it to the exression on the source text, but not sure what in the expression can be changed to fix it. Working on it. Or is there a certain font that should be used? 
  • Sounds like it might be a problem with your expression engine settings. It should be set to JavaScript.

I am on Javascript. It turns out it was the multi-line factor. On a single line layer it works BUT it changes the text formatting to a single color and ignores italic.  I have to match a code sequence for a client, but with blinky, the sourcetext expression kills the source text formatting (different colors for certain words and italic for certain words). I have narrowed it to the exression on the source text, but not sure what in the expression can be changed to fix it. Working on it. Or is there a certain font that should be used? 
    I see. The applied Typewriter effect does not support multi styled text. There are 2 work arounds:
    1. You could disable the expression/effect by option-clicking on the source text, then manually keyframe the source text.
    2. Duplicate the text layer before adding blinky. Add the default Typewriter preset to one of the text layers and Blinky to the other. Then hide the blinky text layer and set keyframes for the typewriter animation. You'd have to play around with the default Typewriter animator keyframes vs the Blinky typewriter keyframes as they are calculated slightly different.
  • Just purchased.
    But "Blinky" does not work when I change the text alignment to "Right"
    It's not moving at all, only blinking
  • Just purchased.

The text alignment should be set to match whatever the paragraph alignment of your text layer is. If both are set to right, the cursor won’t move, which is normal behavior.
  • Just purchased.

The text alignment should be set to match whatever the paragraph alignment of your text layer is. If both are set to right, the cursor won’t move, which is normal behavior.
    This is a video recording for more clarification

thank you
  • Just purchased.

thank you
    I see. The current version of Blinky does not support right to left languages, but I plan to add support in the future. In the meantime, I have attached a preset which you can apply to the cursor layer in order to fix.

Unzip then add the .ffx file here:
    Documents > Adobe > After Effects 20XX > User Presets

Then apply it to cursor/shape layer. Let me know if this works.
    zip
    zip
    Blinky RTL.zip
  • Just purchased.

thank you
    I see. The current version of Blinky does not support right to left languages, but I plan to add support in the future. In the meantime, I have attached a preset which you can apply to the cursor layer in order to fix.

Thank you so much 

YOU MADE MY DAY :)
  • Multi Line soon?
  • Multi Line soon?

Yes. Email [email protected] if you want a beta version (license required).
  • hi sir 
    its amazing script 
    but if you add arabic option mode it will be great 
    so cursor will start RTL not LTR 
    thank you
  • kin asus said:
    hi sir 
    its amazing script 
    thank you
    Thank you! I plan to add support for RTL in the future. In the meantime, I have attached a preset which you can apply to the cursor layer in order to fix.

zip
    zip
    Blinky RTL.zip
  • kin asus said:
    hi sir 
    its amazing script 
    thank you
    Thank you! I plan to add support for RTL in the future. In the meantime, I have attached a preset which you can apply to the cursor layer in order to fix.

hi sir 
    thank you so much 
    i hope you add it as option >> btw i tested the file you sent its working so good 
    thank you 
  • please had rtl support!
  • please had rtl support!
    I plan to add support for RTL very soon. In the meantime, I have attached a preset which you can apply to the cursor layer in order to fix.

zip
    zip
    Blinky RTL.zip
  • just wanted to say how much i like this plugin. also wanted to point out that the blinky doesn't have to be a line, you can configure it to look like an underscore or a block and offset position to make it work like that. imho this is a really cool feature that's worth putting into the documentation/video overview. thanks for making this
  • just wanted to say how much i like this plugin. also wanted to point out that the blinky doesn't have to be a line, you can configure it to look like an underscore or a block and offset position to make it work like that. imho this is a really cool feature that's worth putting into the documentation/video overview. thanks for making this
    Love to hear that! That is a great point. I will make an updated video/tutorial soon :)
  • Very handy script.  Would love to be able to mix fonts (namely, the ability to add bold or italic.  ie, "This is your business, reinvented"
  • Very handy script.  Would love to be able to mix fonts (namely, the ability to add bold or italic.  ie, "This is your business, reinvented"
    Thank you! This is a tricky problem to solve because After Effects does not currently allow for multi-style text with expressions. I will spend some more time thinking about how to fix this.

2 possible workarounds in the meantime:
    1. Create multiple text layers with multiple Blinky layers.
    2. Disable the expression on source text and manually key the source text.
  • How can i change the position of the blinking cursor instead of the text to appear from the centre to appear  on left handside of page ?
    So basically like you would normal type something out it would position the cursor on left hand of screen.
  • Mish Zac said:
    How can i change the position of the blinking cursor instead of the text to appear from the centre to appear  on left handside of page ?
    So basically like you would normal type something out it would position the cursor on left hand of screen.
    A few ideas:
    1. Adjust the offset from the Blinky controls.
    2. Parent Blinky to a blank text layer and position wherever
    3. Toggle on RTL – not what it was designed for, but might work.
    Let me know if you're still having issues.
  • Doesn't work with line breaks :( 
    Or am I doing something wrong? 
  • Yash B said:
    Doesn't work with line breaks :( 
    Or am I doing something wrong? 
    It is designed to work with line breaks.

Currently, it doesn't work with soft returns (shift + return) or automatic line breaks from paragraph text layers. And if your text has no line breaks when you add a Blinky, you will need to re-apply.