Connect Layers PRO
  • It's already pseudo 3D...
    Just use your 3D points without the "Real 3D" features ;)
    After purchasing this tool I've wondered how I ever survived without it! 

Would it be possible to have "pseudo 3D" where you basically create 2D lines, that follow 3D points. I mean that those lines would be same as you create when your creating a line that is following a 2D point, but this time it would follow 3D point. The current 3D funcitonality works technically really well, but I've ran into situation where the line orients in a way that it is almost invisible. Having an option to attach 2D lines to 3D point's would in my opinion be a good addition to this tool. This would be good alternative for the current 3D lines feature.

Anycase, if anyone is wondering... There is no better tool for this kind of job. So thanks for that!

• After purchasing this tool I've wondered how I ever survived without it! 

Would it be possible to have "pseudo 3D" where you basically create 2D lines, that follow 3D points. I mean that those lines would be same as you create when your creating a line that is following a 2D point, but this time it would follow 3D point. The current 3D funcitonality works technically really well, but I've ran into situation where the line orients in a way that it is almost invisible. Having an option to attach 2D lines to 3D point's would in my opinion be a good addition to this tool. This would be good alternative for the current 3D lines feature.

Anycase, if anyone is wondering... There is no better tool for this kind of job. So thanks for that!
    Hi Miika,

Actually the feature you describe is already in the tool. Simply don't activate the 3d mode, and the line between your 3d points will be a 2d line following the 3d points.

Cheers,
    Charles
  • Very good plugin, plenty of functionnality !
    However, I would love to be able to create a path that would not allow creating lines that pass through it. Like an interdiction line to prevent creating unwanted triangulations between some points, before starting the creation process, and therefore decreasing render time !

(+ the progress bar that would be awesome indeed !)
    Thanks for your work !
    Greg
  • Thanks for your suggestion.
    Very good plugin, plenty of functionnality !
    However, I would love to be able to create a path that would not allow creating lines that pass through it. Like an interdiction line to prevent creating unwanted triangulations between some points, before starting the creation process, and therefore decreasing render time !

(+ the progress bar that would be awesome indeed !)
    Thanks for your work !
    Greg

• Where can I get the non-PRO script?
  • The original version of Connect Layers has been retired.
    Where can I get the non-PRO script?

• The trial version is not working on my PC. I have the aex file uploaded to the Plug-in folder but no Connect Layers in the Window menu in AE. Does the trial download work on PC?
  • Hi Dan,
    Please read the Installation PDF provided in the archive. You have to install the plugin in the Plugin folder and the script in the Script folder.

Cheers.
    Val.
    The trial version is not working on my PC. I have the aex file uploaded to the Plug-in folder but no Connect Layers in the Window menu in AE. Does the trial download work on PC?

• how do i fill real 3d closed chains? is that possible? with only closed chains its working fine, but the layer ordering is not good for 3d. any solution?
  • Hi
    You cannot fill 3D closed chains.
    how do i fill real 3d closed chains? is that possible? with only closed chains its working fine, but the layer ordering is not good for 3d. any solution?

• Hi, Is it possible to make curvy lines in the 3D module in Connect Layers PRO?
  • Hi Tomas,
    Yes, you can create curvy lines that are on the same plane (segments are "flat")
  • Thank you very much for your reply. So if the points (3D nulls) are not in the same plane (points along a route on the ground tracked in a clip filmed from a helicopter) it will not be possible since the points are not in the same plane?
  • Segments can only be "plane" (2D). If you want a real 3D curve you need to use a 3D software.
  • Hi, I love motion 3 and would love to start using Connect Layers as well.
    I followed the instructions to install the trial version but I always get an error that reads:
    »Unable to execute script at Line 6. null is not an object«. I reinstalled etc. I had similar issues with another script but I can't find a solution.
    All other scripts a have ran fine from the beginning.
    One tip I found was to change language from German to English, but that didn't do the trick.
    Best
    Tobi
  • https://aescripts.com/knowledgebase/index/view/faq/dropbox-macos-warning/
    Hi, I love motion 3 and would love to start using Connect Layers as well.
    I followed the instructions to install the trial version but I always get an error that reads:
    »Unable to execute script at Line 6. null is not an object«. I reinstalled etc. I had similar issues with another script but I can't find a solution.
    All other scripts a have ran fine from the beginning.
    One tip I found was to change language from German to English, but that didn't do the trick.
    Best
    Tobi

• Hi, 3d lines become invisible at some angles, it seems possible to fix that with an expression on the line's X Rotation.
  • Unable to create UI icons (AE 2022). Any thoughts?
  • Unable to create UI icons (AE 2022). Any thoughts?
    Hi David,
    Please open a support ticket so we can better assist you. Provide your plug-in version, your operating system, and the exact error message (taking a screenshot is a good idea).
    Cheers,
    Charles
  • Hi, Are you planning to update the script to run natively in apple silicon? if so, do you have an estimated ETA? thanks
  • Updated a minute ago so ;)
    fadu dba said:
    Hi, Are you planning to update the script to run natively in apple silicon? if so, do you have an estimated ETA? thanks

• Just want to check first before purchasing: at 00:44 in the video you have a line that is split into three segments - dash, offset, wiggle. I am assuming there is a function in the plugin that allows you to set styles for different parts of the stroke / line. Is that correct? 
  • No. You can only set ONE style.
    But... since we control a shape layer, you can add some strokes & offset path to have different styles.

Cheers
    Val
  • Hello ,

is it possible to "reverse" the Path of a curve funktion? 

Thanks a lot! 

• Not in the actual version
    Cheers !
    Hello ,

is it possible to "reverse" the Path of a curve funktion? 

Thanks a lot! 

• Hi!  Love this plugin and use it regularly in my motion design work.

Running into an issue I'm hoping someone can help with however.  I have a comp with 4 separate chains, all set to "Dynamic Bezier" on the "Rubber Band" preset. Exact same settings on each chain, however the dynamics only function on the first chain and all the subsequent chains remain stiff as the layers move.

Working on a PC in AE 22.5.0.

Any insights would be most helpful, thanks!
  • Hi Charlie,

Please open a support ticket and provide your aep so we can take a look. 
    https://aescripts.com/contact/

Cheers
    Val
    Hi!  Love this plugin and use it regularly in my motion design work.

Running into an issue I'm hoping someone can help with however.  I have a comp with 4 separate chains, all set to "Dynamic Bezier" on the "Rubber Band" preset. Exact same settings on each chain, however the dynamics only function on the first chain and all the subsequent chains remain stiff as the layers move.

Working on a PC in AE 22.5.0.

Any insights would be most helpful, thanks!

• HI, 

Thank you so much for creating such a lovely plugin its great. 

I'm working with this in 3d and would love to orientate each of the lines to face the camera. 

I have tried this: 

delta = toWorld(anchorPoint) - thisComp.activeCamera.toWorld([0,0,0]);
    radiansToDegrees(Math.atan2(delta[0],delta[2]))

Which works on a y axis but doesn't seem to work properly on the x axis as needed. 

Do you have any other way of working out how to make the lines always face the camera so the stroke stays a consistent width?

Thanks so much!
    Oli
  • Hello, I have applied a Wiggle-Position to all of my points pre composed , and non of the Triangulation line seems to follow the Wiggle Effect, any help with this? Or will I have to  keyframe random position for each of the dots for the lines to follow?
    thanks
  • Looks good but need Step mode to come in and out of the layers vertically.. doesn't seem to be a direction option.
  • That's true, we'll fix that missing option soon.

Looks good but need Step mode to come in and out of the layers vertically.. doesn't seem to be a direction option.

• New version available with an option that allows you to flip the direction of the Step connection

Looks good but need Step mode to come in and out of the layers vertically.. doesn't seem to be a direction option.

• Hi there. I copy all in my ae plugin maps.. but I cant see plugin in AE? Whats could be a problem?

Thank you!
    Robert
  • The problem is that you don't read the installation guide, the manual or watch the quick start tutorial. :D
    You need to use the script first. 

Cheers
    Val
    Hi there. I copy all in my ae plugin maps.. but I cant see plugin in AE? Whats could be a problem?

Thank you!
    Robert

• Hi there, when I click 'create all connections' it freezes AE. Not in the sense that there is a red 'not responding' in force quit, that it just slows right down and doesn't complete the operation. All the other connect options work fine, it's just the all connections one that breaks the computer. I have to eventually force quit anyway as I can see the outline of the connectors on screen but can't use AE while the script is trying to run. When I do 'all connections' on simpler designs to get it to work (less points) it works but slows the whole computer right down. (AE version 22.6) 

• How many objects do you have?
    Hi there, when I click 'create all connections' it freezes AE. Not in the sense that there is a red 'not responding' in force quit, that it just slows right down and doesn't complete the operation. All the other connect options work fine, it's just the all connections one that breaks the computer. I have to eventually force quit anyway as I can see the outline of the connectors on screen but can't use AE while the script is trying to run. When I do 'all connections' on simpler designs to get it to work (less points) it works but slows the whole computer right down. (AE version 22.6) 

• Round Corners isn't working on 3D closed Chains, any workaround for that? 
  • You have to understand that 3D chains are an assembly of segments. Thus, AE cannot add round corners. This is a limitation.
    You can use the standard mode using 3D objects. More information about the difference of each mode here: https://www.motionboutique.com/files/connectlayerspro/documentation/index.html#Real3DMode

Round Corners isn't working on 3D closed Chains, any workaround for that? 

• Hi, I'm trying to use the Repeater (2 copies) with an Offset, but somehow the offset is only visible when I change the Position Offset.
    The closer I get to the original position, the offset decreases, like the copies are on top of each other. I have some screenshots I'd be happy to share to illustrate the problem. Any idea how to solve this? 

Thank you! 

• Hi Nikki

Please open a support ticket so we can take a look (please join your screenshots + your aep)

Cheers
    Val
  • I need to quickly reproduce the same settings for 20+ text callouts using Connect Layers Pro. How can I do this and maintain all of my relative settings to new tracking points for each duplicated call out created? Thanks!
  • Create a first composition with the design of your connection.
    Then create a new one (simply create the connections).
    Copy the effects from the first composition.
    Select the effect in new composition and paste.

You may have to fine tune some settings but this should work.

Cheers.
    Val
    I need to quickly reproduce the same settings for 20+ text callouts using Connect Layers Pro. How can I do this and maintain all of my relative settings to new tracking points for each duplicated call out created? Thanks!

• Hi!

I was trying to create chain but it didnt work! And is says this. Wondering what am I missing 
  • Please follow the installation instructions or install it using the aescripts manager app.

Cheers
    Val
    Hi!

I was trying to create chain but it didnt work! And is says this. Wondering what am I missing 

• Hi, is there an update for AE 2023 planned? The ae plugin Manager shows me only the ae version 2022 and there are some small bugs in 2023. Thanks
  • Hi Mike

AE 2023 is supported since it's released. I think you have an issue with your manager, try to update it.
    If you have any bugs, please fill a support ticket : https://aescripts.com/contact/

Cheers
    Val
  • Hi, I'm doing the trial. I like the tool so far, but I'm wondering if this is possible. In the image below, I want to add a bunch of arrows that occur sequentially. While I used the trim paths, it works but I'm wondering how do I deal with situations where let's say a specific layer (ie a rectangle layer) might need more than a single anchor point, and also the situation where the anchor points are hooked left and right and in different spots. 

I've thought of ways such as create a empty layers at the right location and connecting them separately, but i'm wondering if there's easier ways to do this?
    Attached is a reference image of me wanting to sequentially show the arrows progressing throughoutimage
  • Use null layers parented to the rectangle, so you can get any number of connection you want.
    Hi, I'm doing the trial. I like the tool so far, but I'm wondering if this is possible. In the image below, I want to add a bunch of arrows that occur sequentially. While I used the trim paths, it works but I'm wondering how do I deal with situations where let's say a specific layer (ie a rectangle layer) might need more than a single anchor point, and also the situation where the anchor points are hooked left and right and in different spots. 

I've thought of ways such as create a empty layers at the right location and connecting them separately, but i'm wondering if there's easier ways to do this?
    Attached is a reference image of me wanting to sequentially show the arrows progressing throughoutimage

• When will this be compatible with AE 2024? Right now I need to open the old version of AE to use this thing.
  • When will this be compatible with AE 2024? Right now I need to open the old version of AE to use this thing.
    Ok! Just installed it manually and works fine, false alarm haha. Would love an update to the aescripts app to send to 2024. Thanks!