Version Raptor
  • Looks very cool! How does the raptor deal with precomps when duplicating compositions?
  • Is there any icon available in kbar?
  • Looks very cool! How does the raptor deal with precomps when duplicating compositions?
    Currently, it only duplicates the comp. So, it doesn't have the functionality as “true comp duplicator” yet.
    But maybe that's coming in the future :)
    Would love that, since currently the “true comp duplicator” alternative doesn't work that well with essential properties. 
    Currently, it only duplicates the comp. So, it doesn't have the functionality as “true comp duplicator” yet.
    But maybe that's coming in the future :)
    Would love that, since currently the “true comp duplicator” alternative doesn't work that well with essential properties. 
    Jacob's correct. Currently Version Raptor duplicates and versions the active composition / sequence, not any precomps / nests.

But this has been one of the top requests to handle deep versioning, so will keep you posted on development.
  • Is there any icon available in kbar?
    Yes, we plan on posting more details on this later, but here are the SVG icons you can use for now
    zip
    zip
    version-raptor-icons.zip

• I would definitely pay if this had the ability of TrueComp; duplicating nested comps and updating expressions while sorting into folders - at a touch of a kbar button. 

Will be following the development and good luck! 
  • My workflow with versioning has evolved to something bit different, something that I believe shouldn't break the Dynamic Link and is in my opinion good alternative. Instead of working wiht COMP or SEQUENCE named COMP_v4, I have the latest comp with just the comp name:

Like this:
    MOTIONGRAPHIC
    Then I have a folder named VERSIONS. In that folder I have MOTIONGRAPHIC_v2, v3 etc. but the "main" comp stays the same. In case I would need to go back, I'll just check the versions folder. I'll do the same withe Premiere sequences. 

This way you don't have "v5" versioning number attached to everything so at least within Adobe software this should cause less trouble with dynamic linking etc. When exporting something for the client, even then I usually leave the version number out of the filename. 

Why I described the way I do this is that it would be cool if you could choose in Version Raptor if it opens the new version or not. In my case I would make it not open the new version. It would be also cool if Version Raptor could put older versions to a folder named by user.

Cool and useful tool. Perhaps Version Raptor Pro could have some of the more advanced features? 
  • Great product, Could you let me know the point of comp versioning without replace that new comp version into parents comps? doesn't make any bit of sense I have to manually drag the new version into parent comp. thank you!
  • Great product, Could you let me know the point of comp versioning without replace that new comp version into parents comps? doesn't make any bit of sense I have to manually drag the new version into parent comp. thank you!
    Hi Reda,

For main comps this isn't a concern but depending on your workflow this can be an issue for precomps. We've had a request for replacing references which sounds like what would work best for your workflow, that way the duplicate item is the old version and the original is the latest version, that way any references in main comps stay linked to the latest.

Will keep you updated on this progress. Thanks for the feedback!

• I would definitely pay if this had the ability of TrueComp; duplicating nested comps and updating expressions while sorting into folders - at a touch of a kbar button. 

Will be following the development and good luck! 
    Great to hear! Will keep you posted on the progress of this. This has been our top-requested feature since release.
  • My workflow with versioning has evolved to something bit different, something that I believe shouldn't break the Dynamic Link and is in my opinion good alternative. Instead of working wiht COMP or SEQUENCE named COMP_v4, I have the latest comp with just the comp name:

Like this:
    MOTIONGRAPHIC
    Then I have a folder named VERSIONS. In that folder I have MOTIONGRAPHIC_v2, v3 etc. but the "main" comp stays the same. In case I would need to go back, I'll just check the versions folder. I'll do the same withe Premiere sequences. 

This way you don't have "v5" versioning number attached to everything so at least within Adobe software this should cause less trouble with dynamic linking etc. When exporting something for the client, even then I usually leave the version number out of the filename. 

Why I described the way I do this is that it would be cool if you could choose in Version Raptor if it opens the new version or not. In my case I would make it not open the new version. It would be also cool if Version Raptor could put older versions to a folder named by user.

Cool and useful tool. Perhaps Version Raptor Pro could have some of the more advanced features? 
    Thanks for the detailed suggestions Miika! All very useful information.

Version Raptor is really designed for version workflows as opposed to the version-less workflow you've described, but of course both have their advantages, Dynamic Linking being one of them.

Can't make any guarantees but will keep you posted on if we end up going down this route. Thanks for the suggestion!

Like this:
    MOTIONGRAPHIC

Thanks for the detailed suggestions Miika! All very useful information.

Version Raptor is really designed for version workflows as opposed to the version-less workflow you've described, but of course both have their advantages, Dynamic Linking being one of them.

Can't make any guarantees but will keep you posted on if we end up going down this route. Thanks for the suggestion!
    Awesome! This could be alternative workflow that you could enable from settings or something like that. I'm happy with Version Raptor as it is and don't expect workflow I'm using to be part of VR, but if it is, I'm happy too! 
  • Thank you for your helpful product. I noticed some strange behavior with sequences. When i stand on older versions of sequences it allows version up despite i already have it (in case of projects it works correct, version up button is not active). It's a little confusing to have several different by content sequences with the same number of version.
  • Thank you for your helpful product. I noticed some strange behavior with sequences. When i stand on older versions of sequences it allows version up despite i already have it (in case of projects it works correct, version up button is not active). It's a little confusing to have several different by content sequences with the same number of version.
    Thanks for the suggestion! We will look into this and keep you posted.
  • This has been SUPER helpful in my workflow! I don't accidentally forget to switch to the new version nearly as much as I used to. Really happy with the plugin. I have a few suggestions though that would be great in future iterations. Not sure how doable either are.

1. I often label my versions by date and it would be great if there was a way it could detect that so that when I come back to work on Mondays and need to version up I don't have to do it manually to keep the right date.

2. Sometimes I version up to try something crazy and it doesn't work out so I go back to a previous version. Currently versioning up from that will make a duplicate number since it's sequential. It would be great if it could skip to the next unique identifier. So like if I'm working on v2, make a v3 to try something that doesn't work so I go back to v2. Versioning up from v2 again makes another v3 instead of skipping to v4. I can see how this and the previous ones might be difficult since there's so much variation in labeling styles and they're easy and infrequent enough to manually change but it would be super cool if they were automatic.

3. Ok this one might be a bigger ask (or maybe it should be a it's own plugin) but I would LOVE if there was a way to color code sequences tabs in the Timeline window. While I don't have the problem of forgetting to switch to the new version anymore, I sometimes end up in the wrong sequence version when I'm going back and forth comparing different versions. Even better would be if when I version up it automatically labels it a new color or always makes the newest one green (or another color, just something consistent).

Either way, this plugin has quickly become crucial to my workflow and I can't thank you enough for making and sharing it!
  • I agree with a previous comment. I often need to duplicate nested comps and want the original to be completely independent if I make changes.

It’s such a pain point to do it properly in Premiere. At least in After Effects we have true comp duplicator, but even that feels like a bare an inelegant solution.

Since VR has some comp/sequence duplicating functionality built-in already, if you guys could find an elegant solution I would definitely pay $20 for that.
  • Thanks for this great product. I have a few suggestions, basically to have some preferences for how it works. 

For me, I try to have my render comp named exactly the same as my project. So I would love a way to select my main comp and version it up to say _04 at the same time I version up my project to _04. In my workflow I'd also like a way to not duplicate the comp for versioning, but merely to up the number. 

So my ideal behavior, I select the main render comp, I hit project + comp and it versions out a new project and render comp. If that's too complicated, then I'd merely keep it the same, but add an option to just rename the comp on hitting the version up button instead of duplicating it.