Looking for a script to automate this process
  • Hi.  Is there an existing script that would allow me to take a single composition and place it into multiple compositions all at once?  In other words, I want to select a comp and place it into a selection of other comps, with that comp being on top.

I can do that now manually, but I have to do it for close to 1,000 comps and was hoping there was an automated way to do this, as currently I have to:

1. Select the comp that is going into other comps
    2. Drag that comp onto EACH of the target comps one-by-one.  (Fortunately, it DOES automatically put it in as the top-most layer in the stack.)
    3. Repeat 1,000 times. :)
    Thanks,
    Tim
  • hi Tim!
    actually I don't know a script for that, sorry, but it seems that it would be a great utility.
    If I can manage to put a script like this together, I come back to you here.
    cheers
  • Hi, Tiago.  Yeah. it's hard to believe with the MASSIVE amount of scripts -- some of them incredibly complex -- that there isn't already something to do what is essentially a relatively simple thing.  Unfortunately, my scripting skills are beyond sub-par, so it would take me longer to figure it out than to drag-n-drop the 1,000 instances.

I appreciate it ... any idea how long it might take?  I could definitely throw some $ your way if that would help. :)
  • Hi, if I may, What kind of comp is it? Does it contain some kind of animations? Footage? Shape or text layer? I guess that a script to automate this is possible. And more context would help a lot. Cheers, Fred
  • We actually have a new tool coming out soon that does this exact thing but until then you do it with Automation Blocks
  • Hi, if I may, What kind of comp is it? Does it contain some kind of animations? Footage? Shape or text layer? I guess that a script to automate this is possible. And more context would help a lot. Cheers, Fred
    Hi, Fred.  It is very simple ... a single video layer in each comp.  (Thank goodness AE has a VERY simple way of creating a bunch of comps ... drag and drop videos onto comp icon.)  The comp that I need added to each one is also simple:  A couple of graphics ... basically inserting a graphic overlay onto each one.
  • We actually have a new tool coming out soon that does this exact thing but until then you do it with Automation Blocks
    That sounds great Lloyd, just wish it were already out, of course. :)  I'll check out AB nowm thanks Lloyd!
  • Tim K K said:
    Hi, Tiago.  Yeah. it's hard to believe with the MASSIVE amount of scripts -- some of them incredibly complex -- that there isn't already something to do what is essentially a relatively simple thing.  Unfortunately, my scripting skills are beyond sub-par, so it would take me longer to figure it out than to drag-n-drop the 1,000 instances.

I appreciate it ... any idea how long it might take?  I could definitely throw some $ your way if that would help. :)
    It would take a month or so, because my free time is short. :) wish I could just create scripts, templates, etc. :)
    Anyway, I thought of Automation blocks also and as Lloyd said, it might do the job.
    If I get something in the next month, I'll let you know.
  • Tim K K said:
    We actually have a new tool coming out soon that does this exact thing but until then you do it with Automation Blocks
    That sounds great Lloyd, just wish it were already out, of course. :)  I'll check out AB nowm thanks Lloyd!
    It's released! Layers Pro:  https://aescripts.com/layers-pro/
This discussion has been closed.
All Discussions