True Comp Duplicator

• same problem with TrueComp, the message is "TypeError: null is not an object". i've managed to skip this by unchecking Group Items Into Folder. Hope this will help you until the bug is fixed
  • Mihai's comment helped me resolve the problem of the "TypeError: null is not an object"
     i've managed to skip this by unchecking Group Items Into Folder. Hope this will help you until the bug is fixed

• I'll take a look at the TypeError tonight.
  • Same issue. Everything works well except when i'm checking  "Group Items Into Folder". Too bad cuz this option is very useful :)

Thanks for fixing it :)

Nice script btw
  • Hey guys, just updated the script to fix the "Group Items Into Folder" bug.
    You can download True Comp Duplicator v3.9.3 with the bug fix.

• Its really help
    Thanks a lot for this  script
    I hope you will update it and add some extra nice capabilities
    Thanks a looooooooot
  • Hello! Nice and very usefull script!
    But i got strange bug :o
    After succesfull duplicate AE bring me to "Script editor" application. I can close it, no problem here. I just dont understand why it opens? :-)

AE CC 12.2. Tried it in "Scripts" and "ScriptUI" folders
  • Hello! Nice and very usefull script!
    But i got strange bug :o
    After succesfull duplicate AE bring me to "Script editor" application. I can close it, no problem here. I just dont understand why it opens? :-)
    What version of TrueCompDuplicator are you using?  When the editor opens, is there a line highlighted and an error at the bottom of the window?  If so what is the line number and what is the error?
  • What version of TrueCompDuplicator are you using?  When the editor opens, is there a line highlighted and an error at the bottom of the window?  If so what is the line number and what is the error?
    I make screenshots: http://imgur.com/a/czqzX
    v3.9.3. When the editor opens there is blank page. I think it just initialize. But i dont understand why this is happened. This is not critical issue, just interesting :)
  • Thanks for the screenshots, does it do it if you don't have the increment option checked?
  • Thanks for the screenshots, does it do it if you don't have the increment option checked?
    No, works fine, without Script Editor pop-up.
  • Posted an update, 3.9.4.
    Fixes the bug where the script editor opens, and added regex to the exclude filter.

• Posted an update, 3.9.4.
    Fixes the bug where the script editor opens, and added regex to the exclude filter.
    Thanks!
  • Where can i download. My purchase history does not show up the new version. 
  • Where can i download. My purchase history does not show up the new version.
    Please refer to this FAQ: How to upgrade "Name Your Own Price" products
  • hey Lloyd I love the true comp duplicator, but it does a crazy thing , it opens every other comps

True Comp Duplicator v3.9.5
  • hey Lloyd I love the true comp duplicator, but it does a crazy thing , it opens every other comps
    Please open a support ticket and submit a screencast so we can see what you are seeing.
  • Would be a cool little addition if you could set the frame rate of the duplicates too :)
  • It's not working for me. It does duplicate the folder with all the comps in it but the newly created folder and comps are all renamed to the exact same name. And the new comps contains the original comps instead of maintaining a new hierarchy. I'm on CS6 11.0.4.2 (installed on my D: drive)

1) Before copy:
    Comp (Folder)
     Main comp (containing Sub comp)
     Sub comp

2) Copied result:
    Comp (Folder)
     Comp (still contains Sub comp)
     Comp
  • It's not working for me. It does duplicate the folder with all the comps in it but the newly created folder and comps are all renamed to the exact same name. And the new comps contains the original comps instead of maintaining a new hierarchy.
    We are going to need many more details if we have any chance of helping you.  Can you open a support ticket and upload your project (before and after the Duplication) and a screencast so that we can see what you are seeing?  You can use this free tool to record the screencast: http://www.screencast-o-matic.com/
    The more details you provide the more likely we'll be able to help
  • The Script doesn't work on AE CC, the button "Cuplicate Selected" doesn't work....
  • The Script doesn't work on AE CC, the button "Cuplicate Selected" doesn't work....
    It works fine in CC. If you give us more details we might be able to help.  You can also open a support ticket for help, please include as many details including screenshots as possible. The more details you provide the more likely we'll be able to help.
  • Feature request:

I love TCD and use it a lot - what I find would be really good is if the script could duplicate footage and actually duplicate footage files (.AI .PSD etc). Is that possible with the script? I guess you looked into this before?

Thanks!
  • Hey Paul,

Hadn't looked into duplicating the footage files on disk before.  I can see how this would be useful though.  I'll take a look at how this can be done.

Any other specifics on how you think this should work?  When it duplicates the footage files, I'm thinking it would use the same prefix/suffix, search and replace, and increment options to change the filenames just like it renames the items in the project window.  As far as grouping it into a folder, I would add a separate option to group the disk items into a folder based on a user supplied path.  Otherwise I wouldn't have enough information to reliably create the group folder on disk.  Any other ideas that fit into your particular workflow that you would want to see?

Thanks,
    Brennan
  • Hi Brennan,

Yes, I think you have the same ideas as me - a user specified folder to group the footage into. Not sure if there needs to be sub folders, probably not (was wondering if sub folders are needed to replicate how the original footage could be stored in various locations - but that could be very messy indeed) so a single folder would be better than nothing.

While you're at it - any chance of exploring the new HTML5 panels options in AE CC 2014? My biggest bug bear with big script panels is the lack of scroll bars when the panel is set smaller than needed - can that already be done? Not sure if the HTML5 metod would allow that? There might be other options that open up too?

Cheers,

Paul.
  • Oh, and by HTML5. I mean the new CEP infrastructure - not sure if there are any developer docs out there yet?
  • Oh, and by HTML5. I mean the new CEP infrastructure - not sure if there are any developer docs out there yet?
    This is a whole new way of writing scripts so it's going to take a while before we can migrate to it but we are definitely working on it!
  • Cool - do you see a lot more possibilities using that? Any thoughts yet on what might be possible?
  • Cool - do you see a lot more possibilities using that? Any thoughts yet on what might be possible?
    It definitely adds more flexibility especially for UI design but I am afraid it also opens up the possibility for overly designed stuff so it's important to keep focused on usability :)
  • yes - I know what you mean - a bit like the early PC mainboard utilities from certain Taiwanese manufacturers - big bulbous buttons with horrendous colour schemes!
  • yes - I know what you mean - a bit like the early PC mainboard utilities from certain Taiwanese manufacturers - big bulbous buttons with horrendous colour schemes!
    haha... exactly!!
  • Please help me here ... 

The '?' says "If a comp is used multiple times, the comp only gets duplicated once and all remaining references point to the first duplicate."

I have a comp with lots of nested precomps ... I made 2 'true duplicates', with 'update expressions' on, and 'increment last number.'

I understand why the precomps with expressions and with a number in the name get duplicated more than once, but I want the precomps WITHOUT expressions and WITHOUT a number to only be duplicated once -- or not at all.

Am I misunderstanding where it says "If a comp is used multiple times, the comp only gets duplicated once and all remaining references point to the first duplicate."
  • Please help me here ... 

The '?' says "If a comp is used multiple times, the comp only gets duplicated once and all remaining references point to the first duplicate."

I have a comp with lots of nested precomps ... I made 2 'true duplicates', with 'update expressions' on, and 'increment last number.'

I understand why the precomps with expressions and with a number in the name get duplicated more than once, but I want the precomps WITHOUT expressions and WITHOUT a number to only be duplicated once -- or not at all.

Am I misunderstanding where it says "If a comp is used multiple times, the comp only gets duplicated once and all remaining references point to the first duplicate."

Hi Ze'ev,

You can think of your comp structure like a tree.
    When you create a duplicate, it creates a copy of that tree.
    Sounds like you've typed in "2" for the number of copies, so you end up with 2 copies of that entire tree.
    If you wish to only duplicate some of the tree you should use the "Exclude Items" checkbox and add a prefix or suffix to your comps that you don't want to be duplicated.

-Brennan
  • Script dont work for me. i use AE in another language... :(
  • Script dont work for me. i use AE in another language... :(
    TCD works in any language. We can't help you unless you describe what your issue is. Please be as descriptive as possible and include screenshots or a screencast (preferred).  You can also open a support ticket.
  • Quick question. 
    I find myself importing projects so I can grab some precomps I use over and over of procedural effects.  Each one of those imported comps has nulls, solids and adjustment layers.   I find myself having to dig through the projects solids folder and transferring those over to the current solids folder. 
    What would be amazing is when I duplicate the comp it actually duplicates or consolidates those solids into that fancy new folder.  Than I can delete that massive project that needed to be import and I am left with the items I just need.  Currently I still need to go find all the solids because it actually does not duplicate those solids. Ofcourse this is only an issue when you need to import a master template project, grab what you need, and than delete that master project out. Do you have any suggestions?
  • Quick question. 
    I find myself importing projects so I can grab some precomps I use over and over of procedural effects.  Each one of those imported comps has nulls, solids and adjustment layers.   I find myself having to dig through the projects solids folder and transferring those over to the current solids folder. 
    What would be amazing is when I duplicate the comp it actually duplicates or consolidates those solids into that fancy new folder.  Than I can delete that massive project that needed to be import and I am left with the items I just need.  Currently I still need to go find all the solids because it actually does not duplicate those solids. Ofcourse this is only an issue when you need to import a master template project, grab what you need, and than delete that master project out. Do you have any suggestions?
    Instead of importing a massive project you should instead go into that project and simply save out the comp you need and then just import that: https://aescripts.com/save-comp-as-project/

But we also have project organization tools: https://aescripts.com/tag/product/list/tagId/1356/
  • I use AE in German. Wehen i launch the script a Message Apperas (Script can not be executed in line 158. AE Error.cant convert Unicode character)... When i switch to english AE the script runs perfect. But i dont want to switch languages all the time...
    I use AE in German. Wehen i launch the script a Message Apperas (Script can not be executed in line 158. AE Error.cant convert Unicode character)... When i switch to english AE the script runs perfect. But i dont want to switch languages all the time...

Thanks

Armin
  • I use AE in German. Wehen i launch the script a Message Apperas (Script can not be executed in line 158. AE Error.cant convert Unicode character)... When i switch to english AE the script runs perfect. But i dont want to switch languages all the time...
    This is an After Effects issue not related to TCD. Please refer to this adobe article for help:  http://helpx.adobe.com/after-effects/kb/error-could-convert-unicode-characters.html
  • This is an After Effects issue not related to TCD. Please refer to this adobe article for help:  http://helpx.adobe.com/after-effects/kb/error-could-convert-unicode-characters.html
    Thanks i tried that before. Does not help. Only thing i can make the script run is to change the de_DE.txt into en_us.txt
  • Thanks i tried that before. Does not help. Only thing i can make the script run is to change the de_DE.txt into en_us.txt

What version of AE are you using? Does this happen with a specific project or any project? Are you able to try in a different version of AE to see if this is a version specific issue?
  • Thanks, this also worked for me!
  • By the way, the CC2014.1 (13.1) update that is due to be released soon by Adobe should fix this issue so no need to switch into english anymore, simply update your After Effects CC2014.
  • Hi, now under CC2014.1 (13.1.0.111) the problem still exists.
    Unicode conversion failed in line 158.
    I'm working on OS X 10.9.5 with german language.

• Hi, now under CC2014.1 (13.1.0.111) the problem still exists.
    Unicode conversion failed in line 158.
    I'm working on OS X 10.9.5 with german language.

It looks like you have a label color name that After Effects is having an error with when it is read in via scripting.  Can you go to After Effects > Preferences > Labels and make sure you don't have any non latin ascii characters in any of the label names.  This should fix the problem.  Also if this was the issue please file a bug with Adobe and let them know the label name and that "it caused an error when read in via scripting" and also let them know the error. You can file the bug here: http://adobe.com/go/wish/
  • Hi all!

I just downloaded this thinking it would help me with a character I have. I have a folder with his  main Comp, a couple precomps, and all the his pieces (arms,head, legs, eyes, etc, illustrator files) so I thought this would duplicate everything and ALSO relink everything to the new copies? 

I duplicate everything and it does make a new copy of all the comps, precomps, and files but when I open the new main comp and tell it to "Reveal layer Source in project" Its still linking to the original, which pretty much doesnt help me much more than duplicating the folder regularly.

Am I missing something in the instructions??

Thanks!
  • Hi Liliana,

Make sure that you select the comp that you want to duplicate, not the folder of comps.
    So in your instance, make sure "main Comp" is selected.

-Brennan
  • Ah that works! I feel dumb, thank you!!
  • You, sir, are a ROCK STAR. I've spent so much cash on this project I'm working on that my pockets are dry. I wish I could have given you the $25, you definitely deserve it. I did give something though. I do have to tell you how much I appreciate your effort. My eyes are swimming in my head because I'm so tired having edited so long each day for so many days in a row. Nearing the deadline and pushing it close to the limit, I can barely think straight and you've just saved me tons of time and effort. I think I love you. If I get rich off this project, I'm coming back for you bro. Viva Mexico PANOCHITAS! 
  • This remains hands down one of the most useful scripts ever written for AE.  Been using it for several years now and seriously can't imagine living without it.

A feature request idea for the next version: I absolutely *love* all the naming flexibility you've built in (suffix, S/R, increment.) But the one thing I often find myself doing is grouping new comp tree into a folder where I am just incrementing the version number in the folder.

So my suggestion is that under "Options" "Group Items Into Folder" you might add an increment last number in folder name option.

Thanks for your consideration, and above all thanks for an indispensable script!