malty: Snapshot
  • can it save in jpg ? 99% of my snapshots end up being sent by emails and clients prefer jpgs.
  • nope. only png. only 8 bit. no other way to do it at this point.
  • thanks Jerzy, thats a pity, hope adobe allow things to open up a bit more !
  • Hi Jerzy, 

Thanks for this handy script. Love it. It looks like it doesn't quite work with CS4 (win7) though. It works great on my CS6 or CC, but for reason on the CS4 nothing happens when I click on "Snap button" (nor using ft-toolbar). Here's a quick video capture: http://screencast.com/t/ehOsOTNJHa

Any idea?

Thanks
  • That's a bit strange. I've tested the script in CS4 before publishing, however I've just uninstalled CS4 a week ago and I can't test it again. Even if I could I expect it to work as it did before. The script is using quite a bit of trickery to do it's thing, so there may be something in your system that prevent's it to finish it's work. What's even more surprising is that you don't even get any error messages and the script still runs. This is most unexpected. I'm very sorry, but unless we schedule a TeamViewer seesion I don't think I can do much about it at this point.
  • Thanks for your reply Jerzy. No worries... I'll be fine using it on CS6/CC only. Great script!
  • Thanks. So glad you like it. If you have any feature requests make sure to post them here, or start a support ticket in the Support > Contact so we can work out the details.
  • Hello Jerzy, 

Just downloaded it and placed it in the script folder. When I save project, select a comp, then run the script--the dialog box comes up, but when I click "Snap! and save settings" nothing happens.  I'm running CS5 on a Mac... Is this compatible or am I doing something wrong? 

Thanks
    Colton
  • Hey. You're doing everything right. It's a rare bug that shows up on some Mac systems. I've already pinpointed it. You're the second use to report it. The bug is fixed already. Just testing it now. I'll be publishing the updated and fixed version soon.
  • That's fantastic, thank you! 
  • Please contact me on FB or Skype. I'll send you a fixed version to test before I publish. Just to be sure.
  • You can also open a support ticket if you prefer.
  • Your videos are awesome!  :)
  • Hi Jerzy,
    Went to to use my recent purchase of snapshot today for the first time.
    All the snaps are very dark, not usable.
    please advise...
    -Jon

MAC Pro 10.8.5
    CS6

should be
    imageimage

is

• please advise...
    -Jon
    Please open a support ticket for direct help on this issue
  • Hi Jerzy,
    Went to to use my recent purchase of snapshot today for the first time.
    All the snaps are very dark, not usable.
    please advise...
    -Jon

MAC Pro 10.8.5
    CS6

Hey. I don't really see anything in the attached images. Probably a browser issue. Nevertheless please make sure that you're project is set to 8bpc when making snapshots. 
  • Hey,
    Thanks for the help with Snapshot Malty. I did not realize it only works when the project is in 8bit. Thank you this did solve the issue I was having.
    -Jon
  • Yeah... that's a small issue that has no solution by far. It's a scripting limitation. This whole script is one big hack and it shouldn't be even possible to do what it's doing to begin with :) Technically speaking the script works in whatever bpc you're working in, however in most cases (not all) when working with 16 or 32bpc the snapshots turn out to be darker. 

You don't have to have your entire project in 8bpc all the time. Just set it to 8bpc when making snapshots and then switch back.

I have some ideas on solving this, but they require a change in technology, additional software to be installed and so on, so I figured it should be fine for now.
  • This is great! I'd second the need for 32b snapshots - 90% of my work is in that and switching to 8b is just too time consuming on complex scenes (compared to old fashioned cmd+shft+4) and the snapshot won't look right in 8bit. I'd also like to customize the default saving path per project, and the name of the imported folder in AE. But total great stuff as is. Thanks for making it! 
  • good morning malty,

I just purchased your script. and it DON'T WORK :-(
    I have After effects CC and FT Toolbar.

I can't get the control box back can't use alternative way to work.
    I get message:
    "unable to execute script at line 1. ) does not have a value"

can you help me ?
    cheers
    maxim
  • good morning malty,

I just purchased your script. and it DON'T WORK :-(
    I have After effects CC and FT Toolbar.

I can't get the control box back can't use alternative way to work.
    I get message:
    "unable to execute script at line 1. ) does not have a value"

can you help me ?
    cheers
    maxim
    I'll see what I can do. I can't think of anything that could cause this at the moment. If you have skype we can schedule a meeting and use TeamViewer to pinpoint what the problem is. There is one known bug in FT-Toolbar (actually in Adobe Scripting language) that causes some command keys (CTRL, CMD, and others) not to "go through", but that still shouldn't make this error happen. I'n interested to see what the problem is. Look me up on skype. My ID is: maltaannon
  • Hello. For some reason every time I snap it overwrites my previous image.
    $n.Snap$i

Thoughts?
  • Hey Jerzy,

Just trying this out - really useful so far and it seems to work with CC 2014.

One request - is it possible to add a custom path. Graphics should rarely be saved to the same dir as the project file. I'd imagine most people work that way. I wouldn't have thought a custom path would be too difficult to code? If that's possible, it would be great.

Thanks.
  • I'd like to put in another request for a custom path. When I'm making snapshots it's usually so I can send a quick review to client. Would be better if I could just output to Desktop where I can quickly find it instead of digging through folders. I ended up using Creative Dojo's free snapshot script instead for this reason alone even though your script has more features.
  • Seems like Custom Path is a frequently requested feature. I'll make sure to add it in the upcoming version. For now remember that you can save your snapshots at Custom Location by holding ALT key while executing the scrupt. You can set that location to whatever you want and it will be remembered next time you decide to save at Custon Location.
  • Hi Jerzy,

I tried the launching the snap script through ftoolbar2 and couldn't get the ctrl key to work. The shift and alt is working. I am using cs6, cc and cc2014. I cant get ctrl to open the setting dialogue box. I am using MAC.

Regards.
    Ben.
  • Hi Jerzy,

I tried the launching the snap script through ftoolbar2 and couldn't get the ctrl key to work. The shift and alt is working. I am using cs6, cc and cc2014. I cant get ctrl to open the setting dialogue box. I am using MAC.

Regards.
    Ben.
    Hey Ben. I got reports about this issue, not only with Snapshot, but Simple Camera Rig as well. After contacting the author of ft-Toolbar we both came to a conclusion, that there's something in the ESTK itself that masks the Ctrl key on Mac's and they simply don't get "forwarded" to other scripts. This is strange, since it worked just fine in the first version of ft-Toolbar. The only way you can invoke the Settings dialog is to run the script via Scripts > Run Script and when the Open File dialog is on screen and the script selected, press and hold the CTRL (not CMD) key and click Run/Open while holding the key.

I was trying to fix this issue somehow but it seems the only way to do that is to add a user interface, which I'm planning to do.

Hope that helps.
  • hello! 

When I load the script it's empty.... would you be able to help me out? I can't see any settings where I can take pics! 
    I'm using CC 2014
  • Are you sure you're doing everything as instructed? I just had an opportunity to test the script on a brand new workstation that never hd any scripts (mine or other) with a fresh install of CC 2014 and everything works as expected.

I'm sure you know this, but just for the sake of clarity - the script can be located anywhere, but I suggest the Scripts folder (not the Scripts UI) in the After Effects installation folder. After Effects should be set to allow scripts to save files (File > Preferences > General). Before you run the script you should save your project file. After that when you run the script you should get the window asking you to set up the script. After that the default behaviour is that the window will not show again. You can change that in the script settings (the window that you just was). If you wish to bring back the window at any time simply run the script holding the CTRL key.

All of this the script "checks" for and displays instructions if anything fails (if the project is not saved, or if AE doesn't have permissions to save files).

You can check if the script works (even if the windows doesn't show) by looking in the Info panel. It always shows the name of the file that was created when you executed the script. The file name follows a naming convention that you setup and it saves the files in the same folder that your project file sits in.

I can't really thing of anything else I can do to help you out with this.
    Make sure to watch the tutorial again. Maybe you missed something. All the videos are available on the product page.

Hope that helps.
  • Hi there 

is it ( or would it ) be possible to append the saved file with the selected layer ? the reason being a lot of the time we keep multiple versions of 3d renders in different layers but in the same comp ( all sharing the grading adjustment layers etc ) 

so something like this ?

$n.Snap.$sl = name of comp + Snap + name of selected layer 

thanks 

p
  • As you know there's no option to do that at this point, however that is a cool idea. I'll work it in the next release. Thanks for a great suggestion.
  • Any update on a new version with those features?
  • Any update on a new version with those features?

Not yet. Working on the new release of the camera rig at the moment.
  • So this works with CC2014.2 and CC2015?
  • So this works with CC2014.2 and CC2015?
    Yes it does.
  • Hi,
    In version c2015 of after effects, when I press snap+shift the script couldn't bring the snapped picture into project panel as it was before in version 2014 

Can you fix it in order to support c2015 much better ?
  • Oh. I didn't notice that. I'll see what I can do. :)
  • Simple Question - hope this wasn't answered before... Setting the default Folder for Snapshots? How?

And also - auto snap at Markers? possible? :)
  • Hi

Is there a replacement for this script ?