Explode Shape Layers 3
  • I love your Plugin! I use it almost on a daily basis. The one thing i wish would be updated in a next version is that when you convert an AI file to shape layers that it also takes the transparantcy. Now it changes to 100%. I don't know if this is a limitation of AE but that is just my feedback. Keep up the good work!
    Thanks Willem! The 'convert' command in ESL uses the internal command from AE, and then does some post-processing magic on it afterwards. Transparency and gradients are an AE limitation, unfortunately– let them know this bugs you! Send a feature request to Adobe here: http://adobe.com/go/wish
  • LOVE this plug-in and use it every single day.  Would just like to request a feature- If possible could the converted shape keep the layer color of the .ai file?  
  • LOVE this plug-in and use it every single day.  Would just like to request a feature- If possible could the converted shape keep the layer color of the .ai file?  
    Great suggestion, will add it to the list. Thanks Jessica!
  • Hello, great plug-in, I love it ! Do you plan to make it compatible with CC 2018 ? that will be great ! 
  • Hello, great plug-in, I love it ! Do you plan to make it compatible with CC 2018 ? that will be great ! 
    It's already CC2018 compatible!
  • Hello!  I'm new to ESL, but it is exactly the tool I need.  Do I drag both the .jsxbn and the .md files into the ScriptsUI folder?
  • Hello!  I'm new to ESL, but it is exactly the tool I need.  Do I drag both the .jsxbn and the .md files into the ScriptsUI folder?
    Only the jsxbin.
  • Hi, I have a question, the illustrator file dragged into After Effects. It has about 22 Layers, all named and mostly gruouped, but when i convert it to a shape file, it suddenly has over 1000 Groups under "contents". I have no Idea how to fix this. Do you know what causes the error? The groups are also named "Group ####" and are not labeled anymore. I have tried a bunch of different things and I have no idea how to correct it

Hope you can help,

• Hi, I have a question, the illustrator file dragged into After Effects. It has about 22 Layers, all named and mostly gruouped, but when i convert it to a shape file, it suddenly has over 1000 Groups under "contents". I have no Idea how to fix this. Do you know what causes the error? The groups are also named "Group ####" and are not labeled anymore. I have tried a bunch of different things and I have no idea how to correct it
    Hi! This isn't an error, and has nothing to do with Explode Shape Layers :)

Import the .ai file as a composition, not a single flat file. This will give you each of your AI layers as separate comp layers in AE. Then, if you want to convert any specific layer, you can do so. Note that only top-level AI layers will have their names brought over into AE.

Here's a quick tutorial on preparing Illustrator layers for AE: http://www.austinsaylor.com/blog/illustrator-to-ae
  • Wouldn't be great to have an option to maintain layer markers, track matte, modes and to remove ' Outlines' from the shape layer name? That would be the dream!
  • Hiya! 

Does this play nice with Battle Axe's Overlord? How many features overlap with Overlord? I'm trying to decide if both plugins are worth purchasing vs just one of them.

Thank you for making such an awesome plugin!
  • Does this play nice with Battle Axe's Overlord? How many features overlap with Overlord? I'm trying to decide if both plugins are worth purchasing vs just one of them.
    Neither one affects or prevents usage of the other; Overlord has a similar 'explode' and 'center anchor point' feature (see: https://www.battleaxe.co/overlord-usage), and inherently it open a workflow that removes the need of ESL's "Convert" and "Remove Artboard" features.

Otherwise they provide different features for different tasks! We have many users that use both in conjunction, but if you do give ESL a shot and decide it doesn't add value to your workflow we'll gladly refund the purchase
  • I had a very similar question about how this compares to / works with Overlord. Could you explain what features ESL would add to Overlord, or perhaps give some use cases where it would be helpful to have ESL in addition to Overlord.  Thanks.
  • It would be SUPER helpful if there was a way to maintain the set layer color when converting ai to shape layers & merging/exploding.
  • It would be SUPER helpful if there was a way to maintain the set layer color when converting ai to shape layers & merging/exploding.
    Merge & Explode should be bringing the layer label colour, though it's not supported given the AI to AE workflow from ESL. Overlord may be able to accomplish that!
  • Ran into issues after upgrading to macOS 10.15. Error Message after license paste: 
    p.p1 {margin: 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px; font: 11.0px 'Helvetica Neue'; color: #000000; color: rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.85)}
    /bin/sh: /private/var/folders/sg/3rt7n5yj0pj_1n5848t_jyk40000gn/T/TemporaryItems/19041326649329964: Bad CPU type in executable

Is there a workaround?
  • I also upgraded to OSX 10.15 and got an error message. 

"Please please open a support ticket here - /bin/sh: /private/var/folders/dp/mlp487fn7tdgzjrdd3mpvz440000gn/T/TemporaryItems/29651547788804228: Bad CPU type in executable"
  • If you have a technical or customer support issue, please open a support ticket instead.

Ran into issues after upgrading to macOS 10.15. Error Message after license paste: 
    p.p1 {margin: 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px; font: 11.0px 'Helvetica Neue'; color: #000000; color: rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.85)}
    /bin/sh: /private/var/folders/sg/3rt7n5yj0pj_1n5848t_jyk40000gn/T/TemporaryItems/19041326649329964: Bad CPU type in executable

Is there a workaround?

• Hi!

If you have a technical or customer support issue, please open a support ticket instead.

See above.

I also upgraded to OSX 10.15 and got an error message. 

"Please please open a support ticket here - /bin/sh: /private/var/folders/dp/mlp487fn7tdgzjrdd3mpvz440000gn/T/TemporaryItems/29651547788804228: Bad CPU type in executable"

• Hey Zack - I'm experiencing an issue where when I try to open the plugin, it spits out this error in AE 2020. Just downloaded and installed the latest version of your plugin. Unable to execute script at line 1. reflect is read only. Any ideas why this would be happening?
  • Thanks for the update, love the new icons!
  • Hey Zack - I'm experiencing an issue where when I try to open the plugin, it spits out this error in AE 2020. Just downloaded and installed the latest version of your plugin. Unable to execute script at line 1. reflect is read only. Any ideas why this would be happening?

If you have a technical or customer support issue, please open a support ticket instead.

• Heya,

Any chance of maintaining gradients when merging shape layers together? :)

Thanks!
  • Hey Zack,

Just wondering if AE has introduced transparency and gradient support for shape layers in a way that would work in getting ESL to convert AI artwork with gradients and transparency to shapes correctly?

Back in 2017 you said this was an AE limitation so I'm hoping the situation might have changed by now :)

Thanks for the great plugin!
  • Hey Zack,

Just wondering if AE has introduced transparency and gradient support for shape layers in a way that would work in getting ESL to convert AI artwork with gradients and transparency to shapes correctly?

Back in 2017 you said this was an AE limitation so I'm hoping the situation might have changed by now :)

Thanks for the great plugin!
    Adobe has made zero changes to any of this :(
  • Doug Choi said:
    Heya,

Any chance of maintaining gradients when merging shape layers together? :)

Thanks!
    Good catch! Will add it to the to-do list :)
  • Hi Zack,

Would love it if the parents and track matte/blending modes transferred with it.  Thank you SO MUCH for incorporating layer colors in the updates!
  • Yo! I'm getting crazy errors and losing tons of work. Error says "undo group mismatch..."

• Yo! I'm getting crazy errors and losing tons of work. Error says "undo group mismatch..."
    Weird! But like it says underneath the comment window, if you have a technical issue, open a support ticket (and provide as much context as possible!).
  • Hi,

Was thinking of purchasing however ESL doesn't quite have the functionality I'm looking for (unless I'm mistaken). It'd be SUPER useful if the select strokes/fills also let you 'explode' (i.e separate) those from the layers.

I often have a lot of work that needs heaps of trim paths animation, and usually have to manually go through the conerted .ai shape layer and separate all the fills from strokes.

Do you think you might be able the functionality of separating the strokes and fills from one layer, into two separate layers? I'd buy it in a heartbeat if you could do that!

Cheers,
    Nicol
  • Hi,

I don't know if I'm mistaken but I'll swear there was a way, in ESL's settings to tell the script to ONLY explode SELECTED shape layer groups. It was my most used mode and now that I can't find how to do it it's basically useless for me. Am I missing something?
  • I don't know if I'm mistaken but I'll swear there was a way, in ESL's settings to tell the script to ONLY explode SELECTED shape layer groups. It was my most used mode and now that I can't find how to do it it's basically useless for me. Am I missing something?

Just select the groups you want and hit 'explode' -- the separate option to toggle this was removed last year as it was unnecessarily complicated.

If a layer is selected, it'll explode everything within it.
    If shape groups are selected, only those will explode.
  • Hey Zack, getting this error - raising a ticket hasn't given any useful results.

"There was an unexpected Error

http://aescripts.com/contact

and submit screenshot of this error message

/bin/sh: /private/var/folders/57/fknrm8qx72zfc_01g3qhcwp40000gn/T/TemporaryItems/23960407333722132: Bad CPU type in executable

"

Any work arounds?

• Hey Zack, getting this error - raising a ticket hasn't given any useful results.

"There was an unexpected Error

http://aescripts.com/contact

and submit screenshot of this error message

/bin/sh: /private/var/folders/57/fknrm8qx72zfc_01g3qhcwp40000gn/T/TemporaryItems/23960407333722132: Bad CPU type in executable

"

Any work arounds?

Hi! When opening a ticket make sure you pick the product, so that it goes to the right person (me) and not another developer.

Or, the link on this very comment form will make sure it goes straight to me. Here's a quick shortcut for that: please open a support ticket instead.
  • Hey, could you possible remove the use of 'ctrl' click to open ESL settings? I'm trying to use it with KBar, and I want a button set up so that when you click on it it explodes, when you ctrl+click it merges, & when you alt+click it converts.

However, there seems to be some kind of thing in ESL which makes it so when you ctrl+click it opens the ESL settings panel instead, which means I can't use the ctrl+click modifier inside of KBar with ESL.

That wouldn't be a problem, and I would just use shift+click, if it wasn't for the fact I have a bunch of other buttons that use ctrl+click & alt+click, so changing just that one to shift+click or something would become confusing.
  • Saxon Rix said:
    Hey, could you possible remove the use of 'ctrl' click to open ESL settings? I'm trying to use it with KBar, and I want a button set up so that when you click on it it explodes, when you ctrl+click it merges, & when you alt+click it converts.
    As mentioned in the readme, the workflow to accomplish this would be to add the main "Explode Shape Layers.jsxbin" as your kbar button instead, and give it specific arguments per modifier shortcut.
  • Saxon Rix said:
    Hey, could you possible remove the use of 'ctrl' click to open ESL settings? I'm trying to use it with KBar, and I want a button set up so that when you click on it it explodes, when you ctrl+click it merges, & when you alt+click it converts.
    As mentioned in the readme, the workflow to accomplish this would be to add the main "Explode Shape Layers.jsxbin" as your kbar button instead, and give it specific arguments per modifier shortcut.

Sorry, I've tried it both ways, with the main script & with the headless versions, but I'm unable to use the KBar 'ctrl+click' button modifier with either of them, because it just loads up the ESL settings panel instead of loading the selected headless script or selected argument from the main script.

I assume this is because there's something in all of the ESL scripts which is set to open the settings menu when ctrl+click is actioned.
  • Saxon Rix said:

I assume this is because there's something in all of the ESL scripts which is set to open the settings menu when ctrl+click is actioned.
    Ah! This is correct & I didn't think it through properly, it's a good point.

I'll add a ticket to address this in the future, though my current solution may be a little cumbersome to get around, as changing an existing shortcut isn't feasible. If you have further thoughts on the topic or any other tech issues, please open a support ticket!
  • This script doesn't seem to work after updating to After Effects 2022 saying "Unable to execute script at line 1: Null is not an object"
  • This script doesn't seem to work after updating to After Effects 2022 saying "Unable to execute script at line 1: Null is not an object"

If you have a technical or customer support issue, please open a support ticket instead.

• It seams that "select all strokes" and "select all fills" dont work anymore. im using v 3.5.3 and AE 2023. Thanks :) 
  • It seams that "select all strokes" and "select all fills" dont work anymore. im using v 3.5.3 and AE 2023. Thanks :) 
    They certainly do work in 2023! But just like every other comment here says: if you have a technical or customer support issue, please open a support ticket instead.
  • Hi. I have a specific use for your product but not sure if it will work. If I have a shape layer made in AE which contains more shapes affected by a rotation repeater (it's petals on a round flower), if I explode them, will their positions set by the repeater remain? Thank you.
  • Hello, I have the latest version of ESL installed in After Effects, but it doesn't work in AE 2023. Could you help me?
  • Hello, I have the latest version of ESL installed in After Effects, but it doesn't work in AE 2023. Could you help me?
    It certainly does work in 2023! But just like every other comment here says: if you have a technical or customer support issue, please open a support ticket instead.
  • Saw a couple of comments that it doesn't work with 2023. The issue seems to be with aescripts plugin manager. It does state it only works up to 2022 there. However in the download materials for ESL, there is a PDF detailing how to install this in the Script UI Panel folder on your system. That's how I got mine to work with AE 2023. 
  • Do you want to know about Anthony Mantello Net Worth, Age, Biography, Trainer, Weight, and relationship status?
  • Hi! I'm a little surprised by what seems to be a limit when separating out groups from a single shape layer into separate layers. If I select only one path group, and click the "Explode" button, I get the message "Nothing to explode! We require at least 2 top-level shape layer or selected groups."  Why is this the case? I understand it's also possible I'm doing something incorrectly. 

• Why is this the case? I understand it's also possible I'm doing something incorrectly. 

Sorry about that! This is a bug in the ESL v3.5.3, and will be fixed in the next release.
  • Why is this the case? I understand it's also possible I'm doing something incorrectly. 

Sorry about that! This is a bug in the ESL v3.5.3, and will be fixed in the next release.
    AWWWWESOME. Thanks!