• Hi Fabian, thanks! That did the trick! 
  • cool. Have fun making maps. ;-)
  • Hi Fabian, 
    Great script! Question, I'm making a rotaing globe with capital city names hovering 10 px above the sphere. When I import my lat lon list of cities, I'm able to map the cities in a rotatable sphere but they are appearing on the "back side" of the globe, even when I bing in the Plexus globe. In your demo, the markers and cities seem to be "hidden" behind the sphere itself. 

Any tips on what I might be doing wrong? 

Thanks! 
  • Hi Andy,

your doing nothing wrong. This is a common problem with 3D plugins in AE.  
    Take a look at this video 

In short. In AE, 3D Plugins life in their own 3D space and don't want to share it. :-) 
    Kevin Schires has a feature in Elementary ( https://aescripts.com/elementary/ ) that allows to sort 3D plugins in AE space. 

This does not work with CC Sphere.  

You also can do it Element 3D itself by enabling an experimental feature on one of my other scripts. (This should work. With should in italic )

- open it in a texteditor
    - go to line 125 and change

writefaces: false

to 

writefaces: true

- Create your Markers around sphere (null objects is enough).  
    - make sure they are at the right spot and elevation you want them
    - Bake all expressions on the markers even those on the orientation.
    - export all location nulls to a OBJ file  
    - try and import the OBJ file into Element 3D
    - use the OBJ object it as an particle emitter

Now you should have as many locations as you want in Element 3D's own space.

I hope this helps.

Cheers
    Fabian

• Hey Fabian,

Awesome Script- Thanks! I just have one question:
    if I change the value of 'Slider' in radius_locations nothing happens- do you know if I am doing sth wrong?

Thanks!
  • Hi Stefan,
    The radius slider should work only in 3d with, a equirectangular projection and non baked markers.
    Can you send me a aep file so I can take a look?

Cheers
    F
  • Hey Fabian,

thank you so much for your answer. I  think I used your settings (equirectangular, 3d, non baked markers), but radius slider still doesn't work..
    I uploaded the aep file: http://www.file-upload.net/download-9009517/test_locations.aep.html

Thanks!

• Hi Stefan,
    I'll take a look tonight. Sorry can't make it faster. I'm at work right now. In the latest update I concentrated on 2d calculation. Maybe I wrote a bug into the 3d calc. :)
    If you need it done faster you can take a look at the position properties of the markers. Is there a expression in there and if so, is it enabled?
  • Hey Fabian,

There are no expressions in the position properties of the markers.
    Thanks for great (and quick) support. I really appreciate that. :)

• Hi Stefan,

I fixed it. Lucky me - just one line of code to add. :-)
    You can download the latest version here on aescripts.

Cheers
    Fabian

• Hi There! Great Script, but just wondering how did you get the effects where the 3d locations were highlighted by the light beams, I assume you used the lights as location markers but just can't work out how you got the effect you got in your Demo? Cheers
  • Hi Haley,
    thanks for the kudos. I used Trapcode Lux for that.
    Cheers
  • I'm trying to use Locations in a 'small' kind of way. So I have all my points plotted (they all reside in the US-1000 total). But I need to have them show up larger as a whole in my comp. The plotting takes place globally so the dots are very small but I need to basically zoom into the US. How can I increase the magnification (into where all the points were plotted) without losing resolution and increasing the markers so much that they become blobs on top of one another?

Hope this makes sense.

EDIT:
    I think I figured it out!  :)

• Hi Fabian,

Great script, but unfortunately I keep getting the NAN error. I followed the tutorial and created the CSV with the name, latitude, and longitude. I running AE CC 2014 on Windows 8. Do you recommend I try anything out to see what I'm doing incorrectly.

Thanks!

• Hi Jeremy, NAN ist short for "Not A Number". Are you selecting the right columns? Can you provide me the .csv and your .aep?
  • When I use your CSV i get the also the the "NAN" error. Open the csv in a simple texteditor like sublime text or atom and remove the extra lines at the end of the file. Then everything works fine. (At least here for me)
  • Dear Fabian,

Thank you very much for creating these two fantastic plugins for After Effects: Locations and AEMaps. Two questions for you:

[1] Is it possible to create geolocated markers in Adobe Illustrator CC using a similar equirectangular map? 
    If not, do you have any plans to make that fantastic Locations plugin available for Illustrator CC?
    Just asking because I design all my maps as vector maps in Illustrator, so being able to position cities and capitals in precisely the correct location in Illustrator would be a godsend.   

[2] Is it possible to use any equirectangular map with your AEMaps plugin? Or does your AEMaps plugin only recognize its own maps?

Thank you very much in advance for any feedback you can give me on these questions. 

• Hi Nick,
    great you like AEMap & Locations. I like them too. :-)

1.) Currently I have not planned to port the scripts to Illustrator, but you can use a experimental port I did for InDesign. You then can copy the vectors to AI. See them here 

When you download the whole package you will find a folder called "dist". In there is the full script.
    Maybe someday I'll port them to AI. But there is a lot on my plate these days so I don't know when this could be.

2.) You can use any equirectangular image of the world with Locations. It should fit. If grab the latest version of AEMap there is also the possibility to use different geojson data. There is a higher res map included. take a look at the latest screen-cast and let me know if you run into any problems.

Cheers
    Fabian

• On creation of the layers I am no longer getting the effect which has the angle controls for lat and lon as shown in some of the videos?  I would really like to have that function back if its possible? 
  • Hi Brandy,

if you create 3D markers they are still there. Do you mean on the 2D markers?  
  • Yea 2D markers.  

Basically looking for the expression that translates lat/lon to AE pixel coordinates in the equatorial mode.
  • Is it possible to instead of create single point markers but a line using a series of rows?  If I were to feed in a flight path using CSV so a series of coordinates would there be a way to connect the points as a shape layer?

• Basically looking for the expression that translates lat/lon to AE pixel coordinates in the equatorial mode.
    Okay. I will look into it ASAP. Unfortunately I have little time these days for scripting.

Is it possible to instead of create single point markers but a line using a series of rows?  If I were to feed in a flight path using CSV so a series of coordinates would there be a way to connect the points as a shape layer?

I already thought of a feature like this. I'll put it on the list as well.

Currently there are some scripts that can do that 

or you could use plexus for that https://aescripts.com/plexus/

• Thanks Fabian, 

For the expression that converts 2D lat/lon to XY coordinates, I thought I saw it in an earlier video, maybe I was mistaken? 

shouldn't the expression be something like this?

// this tells us how many degrees lat and long for each pixel of video of our comp
    // divided by 2 so because values go from -180 to 180 and -90 to 90
    ConversionXConst = (compW / 2) / 180;
    ConversionYConst = (compH / 2) / 90;

// input the user values from sliders and apply to x and y values
    Xval = SliderLatInput *  ConversionXConst + (compW / 2);
    Xval = SliderLonInput *  ConversionYConst + (compH / 2);

[Xval, Yval];

By the way this is a super cool script.

• Hi Brandy,

the expression I used was this one:  

// calc lat lon to AE coordinates");
    var factor = thisComp.width/360;
    var lat = effect("lat")("ADBE Angle Control-0001");
    var lon = effect("lon")("ADBE Angle Control-0001");
    var x = (lon) * factor+ ( thisComp.width / 2);
    var y = (lat*-1) * factor + ( thisComp.height / 2);
    if(value.length==3){
    [x,y,value[2]];
    }else{
    [x,y];
    }

Attached is a screenshot of the setup. 
    You need 2 expression angle controllers on a layer. I called them "lat" and "lon".  The calculation depends always on the comp width.

Bildschirmfoto 2015-05-12 um 15.04.26.png
    1920 x 1053 - 218K
  • I've made the location markers on my globe, but now how to I make so that they don't all have the exact same shape? All location layer precomps are linked to the same 1 shape composition.
  • Create your layer as a comp. Select the layers you want to replace in the timeline and drag and drop your comp from the composition panel while holding alt onto the layer in the timeline.

Cheers
    Fabian

• Create your layer as a comp. Select the layers you want to replace in the timeline and drag and drop your comp from the composition panel while holding alt onto the layer in the timeline.
    CheersFabian
    That worked, thank you. Also, is there a way to change the lat & lon numbers once made? Or would have to redo the script over again?
  • You will have to run it again.
  • is there any way to intagrate weather data to after effects?
  • Looks interesting but seems you haven't updated since 2015. What's latest release of this? Will you be updating it at all? 
     Thanks Stu
  • Looks interesting but seems you haven't updated since 2015. What's latest release of this? Will you be updating it at all? 
     Thanks Stu
    Hi Stuart. It still should work. There have been no breaking changes in the scripting API. I have currently no plans to update this script. Why do you need something that is missing?
     Thanks Stu
    You can find the latest version here https://aescripts.com/locations/ under the version history tab
  • I love this script but when I generate 3D locations now, After Effects reports a weird expression error:
    "Error at line 1 in property 'Position' of layer [x] in comp [name of comp]. Object of type   found where a Number, Array, or Property is needed."
    This is despite the fact that line 1 is a comment. If you remove the comments, you still get the same error.
  • I love this script but when I generate 3D locations now, After Effects reports a weird expression error:
    "Error at line 1 in property 'Position' of layer [x] in comp [name of comp]. Object of type   found where a Number, Array, or Property is needed."
    This is despite the fact that line 1 is a comment. If you remove the comments, you still get the same error.
    Hi Luke. Which version of AE are you using?
    Did you change something lately in your AE?
    I currently don't have access to an AE version. I'll try to get a license ASAP. Until then can you provide a project to reproduce the error?