• Understood, Lloyd. Thanks for the rapid response!
  • So, I've got a bunch of nulls that I'm using as vertices, and then I parent those nulls to a control null (that is excluded from Plexus by name). If I then rotate that control null... nothing. Plexus appears to only consider their position relative to the parent, and not the world position as the result of the parent null rotation. I can see the wireframe of the nulls moving in the viewport, but Plexus is still drawing the vertices as though they haven't moved. Is that right??
  • So, I've got a bunch of nulls that I'm using as vertices, and then I parent those nulls to a control null (that is excluded from Plexus by name). If I then rotate that control null... nothing. Plexus appears to only consider their position relative to the parent, and not the world position as the result of the parent null rotation. I can see the wireframe of the nulls moving in the viewport, but Plexus is still drawing the vertices as though they haven't moved. Is that right??
    It definitely considers their world position, what you might be experiencing is an After Effects bug that does not invalidate the render cache when you move the nulls because nulls have zero opacity and AE doesn't trigger a re-render when you move them.  Try purging the image cache or moving to a different frame and Plexus should update.  Please let Adobe know that this bug affects your workflow. The more users who report this the more likely they will fix it, you can do so here: http://adobe.com/go/wish

• How to use the trial? The zip file seems to have a password required to open it. Couldn't find info anywhere
  • How to use the trial? The zip file seems to have a password required to open it. Couldn't find info anywhere
    Where are you downloading the trial from?  There is no password required to open. Don't use third party tools to download or unzip the archive, please use the default system tools.
  • ok thanks, that was the issue
  • I've got a project with several layers of plexus filters referencing one "control layer" via pick whip expressions for various things like noise, resolution, and obj scale. I've noticed that every time I close and reopen the project, any expressions tied to the scale parameter are disconnected and it's because the name changes on restart from OBJ Scale to OBJ X Scale. Any thoughts on taking a look at this bug?
  • I've got a project with several layers of plexus filters referencing one "control layer" via pick whip expressions for various things like noise, resolution, and obj scale. I've noticed that every time I close and reopen the project, any expressions tied to the scale parameter are disconnected and it's because the name changes on restart from OBJ Scale to OBJ X Scale. Any thoughts on taking a look at this bug?
    This sounds very strange. There should not be any name changes happening. Please open a support ticket and include the project file as well as a screencast showing what you are describing. Also let us know what version of AE and Plexus you are using. You can use this free tool to record the screencast: http://www.screencast-o-matic.com/
  • Thanks, purging the cache did the trick and I've also reported the bug to Adobe.

Overall I love the plug-in, and even just scratching the surface is producing some really nice results.

One bit of feedback I would give is in the 'opacity/thickness over time' graphs. Compared to similar widgets in the Trapcode suite, the Plexus graphs seem to respond very slowly and generally feel rather clunky. Certainly they've quickly become the biggest annoyance for me and seem very fiddly to accurately get the graph shape you want. Any plans to improve these at all?
  • Hi there. I am using Plexus 2.0.8 in After Effects CS6 on OSX 10.7.5 and I am not able to use the "Random Still" option in Sprite Controls under Plexus Points Renderer. I receive the following warning: Random Sprite Sampling isn't supported in OpenGL Rendering. Apparently you cannot disable OpenGL rendering in CS6 and I don't think I ever encountered this message while using After Effects 5.5

Any insight is appreciated. Thanks.
  • Hi there. I am using Plexus 2.0.8 in After Effects CS6 on OSX 10.7.5 and I am not able to use the "Random Still" option in Sprite Controls under Plexus Points Renderer. I receive the following warning: Random Sprite Sampling isn't supported in OpenGL Rendering. Apparently you cannot disable OpenGL rendering in CS6 and I don't think I ever encountered this message while using After Effects 5.5

Any insight is appreciated. Thanks.
    You disable OpenGL rendering in  Plexus:
    Plexus GPU Rendering.png
    466 x 343 - 99K
  • Hi there, love Plexus, encountering a very frusterating problem. I have a .obj sequence imported into plexus from a Kinect point cloud. There is a corresponding RGB image to project onto the .obj sequence. When I import the sequence and the RGB data into Plexus there is a discrepancy between the sequence's xy coordinates and the rgb's xy coordinates. The image appears on the verticies but it does not line up (I have the mapping set to XY). It's possible there could be a problem with the UVs of the objs but when they exported they were in line. 

The only solution I can think of is to nest the RGB sequence into a comp and then try and scale/position the comp to match what I'm seeing in Plexus, but this seems like a very backhanded way to get the color map in line with the verticies and it could potentially reduce the quality of the image as it's nested in the comp. Am I missing something or is there really no way to control the transform properties of an applied color map in Plexus 2?

• Also, follow up question: what frame rate does Plexus operate in? If I have a 23.976 composition and I import an obj sequence into Plexus, will it display the obj sequence at the composition fps or something different? Only reason I'm asking is because I am getting some repeated frames in the obj sequence, akin to repeated frames on a video file that's had it's fps altered. Some clarification would be great.

Thank you so very much!
  • Plexus works at any frame rate that your comp is set to. If you are exporting a sequence from somewhere else it will obviously need to be exported at the same frame rate for it to match.  And OBJ's don't have "RGB data" so I am not sure what your other issue is but it sounds like you are doing something very experimental so not sure we will be able to help much there.
  • Thank you for your clarification on the fps! I'm sure it's the .obj sequence duplicating frames and not Plexus.

I also know that .objs do not carry RGB data, which is why I am using the Plexus Color Map to apply color data to the object. :) I am merely asking if there is a way to transform the Plexus Color Map effect so that it lines up with the geometry within Plexus. Otherwise I have been creating a precomp and trying to nudge the color data (in this case a video)  scale and position to try and match up to the geometry, in essence forcing the Plexus Color Map to read the position from the precomp and not just as a layer. Does that make sense?

And yes, I'm sure what I'm doing is on the fringe edge. As far as I know, there has been little experimentation with using a Microsoft Kinect's point cloud and importing that cloud into Plexus to drive cool effects. But as you can see from the attached image... it's pretty cool. :)

• I also know that .objs do not carry RGB data, which is why I am using the Plexus Color Map to apply color data to the object. :) I am merely asking if there is a way to transform the Plexus Color Map effect so that it lines up with the geometry within Plexus. Otherwise I have been creating a precomp and trying to nudge the color data (in this case a video)  scale and position to try and match up to the geometry, in essence forcing the Plexus Color Map to read the position from the precomp and not just as a layer. Does that make sense?
    Wow.. that looks awesome!  Yes, you are definitely charting new territory here so I think your current workaround is how I would do it as well.  If you run into any new issues let us know and we'll try to help and please send us the finished piece as we'd love to include it in our inspiration feed.
  • I have a question about rendering wire frames in Plexus.  I know you said that lines are calculated based on distance, but in the intro to this video (), it looks like those are wireframes.  I recreated that model in Maya, and it looks like they were rendered in plexus.  When I recreated the model in Maya, it looks nothing like that when I render the wires.
  •  When I recreated the model in Maya, it looks nothing like that when I render the wires.
    Sorry, we don't understand what you are asking.  Please open a support ticket and describe your problem in detail including screenshots so we can see what you are referring to.  The more details you can provide the more likely we'll be able to help.
  • I'm importing OBJ files and noticing if the object wasn't centered in the 3D program , there's not really a way of fixing that within AE or Plexus. If there is, please enlighten me. 

The reason it's a problem is when you try to rotate on Z, it'll rotate form where the anchor point is, and if the 3D object exports with its center being somewhere other than the actual center of the object, almost all forms of rotate are completely pointless, it'll flop or flip any which way. 

For an example, you can download stock 3D files. This one http://tf3dm.com/3d-model/scar-h-70273.html has this problem. Import the OBJ, turn on lines and vertices, then orient it so you can see it, then try to rotate it. Good luck. 
  • I'm importing OBJ files and noticing if the object wasn't centered in the 3D program , there's not really a way of fixing that within AE or Plexus. If there is, please enlighten me. 
    Plexus will import the object the way it was created in the 3D app. If you need the anchor point in a different place you will need to update it in your 3D app and re-export it.
  • I was wondering if Plexus can use 2 side layers (like a deck of cards, front and back) as particules ?
  • I was wondering if Plexus can use 2 side layers (like a deck of cards, front and back) as particules ?
    Any 3D layer can be used with Plexus so you can easily parent the back layer to the front and use it with Plexus.  Unless you mean sprites in which case it can only be a single pre-comped layer.
  • Not sure I understand, I have a 3d comp created with 2 illustrator files (Queen of spade and back). Works perfectly when I rotate it. If I use a system like Trapcode Particular, the back of the card dissapear leaving me with a reverse version of the card. Works ok with a figure, not so well with a number.
    Can Plexus use that kind of 3d layers for animating a deck of cards flying through the room? Rotation and all? I don't understand the difference between a 3d layer and a sprite... 
  • Not sure I understand, 
    Yes Plexus can use the 3D comp and show the back correctly as long as you are not using it as a sprite.  Please watch the Layers Object and Sprites tutorials to understand the difference. They are both under the VIDEOS tab on the product page: https://aescripts.com/plexus.  Plexus works very differently to Particular so you can't compare them.
  • Bug - Plexus Path Object cant use all vertices of the mask (subdivide off)! Limited to 100 vertices
  • Bug - Plexus Path Object cant use all vertices of the mask (subdivide off)! Limited to 100 vertices
    Please open a support ticket and include details on what you are trying to do/ what you are expecting/ and what you are experiencing. Please include screenshots and the project file (just .aep no footage)
  • Hi,

I am generating a sea-like surface using plexus using a Primitives Object in conjunction with Points and Facets.
    I am using a noise effector with an expression (time/2) on the evolution deform this surface.

I am getting random flashes (the colour of my sea) flickering every second or so. These fill the whole frame. 
    If I purge my cache they disappear on the frames but appear on others.

This glitch-like flicker is something I have experience in other plexus set ups - Is there any way to prevent it?

Cheers,
    Jacques

• This glitch-like flicker is something I have experience in other plexus set ups - Is there any way to prevent it?
    Please open a support ticket and include screenshots or screencapture that shows the problem as well as the project file (just .aep no footage)
  • Is there any way to animate the visibility of individual points generated from an obj? I'm using an obj, at .1% resolution and rendering points at the vertices. I'm hoping to animate these points on, one at a time, but seem to be stuck. I was hoping that the resolution control would allow me to build the points on one at a time but they don't build on in sequence.

Rather than doing this manually (just yet), is there a way I can achieve this in Plexus?
  • Is there any way to animate the visibility of individual points generated from an obj? 
    Unfortunately not.
  • i downloaded the plugin to try before buying. i have a legal licensed copy of ADOBE CC 2014 all updated and working, unfortunately your plugin seems to not allow me to install the trial for my Adobe CC version, any idea what could be the problem, attaching a screen HERE
  • i downloaded the plugin to try before buying. i have a legal licensed copy of ADOBE CC 2014 all updated and working, unfortunately your plugin seems to not allow me to install the trial for my Adobe CC version, any idea what could be the problem, attaching a screen HERE
    Please open a support ticket and let us know what operating system you are using for help with this.
    Did you get a solution? Got the same problem. running the latest os x..
  • Please open a support ticket and we can help you out. https://aescripts.com/contact
  • I am having issues importing my OBJ File into Plexus, All I get is a top view of my object which is sadly also not a 3D image but a 2D image! Could some one help me out :/ ?

The obj file I am using I got it of a website and it doesn't have a path .. just saying :P
  • Ok no issues, I figured out what was the issues, My uniform Scale was on, and I uped the scale of the X, Y &Z axis and got the OBJ I wanted :P Thanks anyways :P
  • Hi, I have adobe creative cloud and I just purchased plexus 2.  Is there a way I can use the plexus Cinema 4d OBJ sequence exporter with Cinema 4d Lite?

I thought I would have this ability, but it looks like you cannot do this with the lite version of C4D....? This is the entire reason I bought this!

• Hi, I have adobe creative cloud and I just purchased plexus 2.  Is there a way I can use the plexus Cinema 4d OBJ sequence exporter with Cinema 4d Lite?

I thought I would have this ability, but it looks like you cannot do this with the lite version of C4D....? This is the entire reason I bought this!
    C4D Lite does not currently support plugins unfortunately.  I would ask Adobe to add this feature. You can ask them here: http://adobe.com/go/wish

If you would like a refund please open a support ticket.
  • Hi, are there any licenses for Render Nodes available or do i have do buy a bunch of single user lics?
  • Hi, are there any licenses for Render Nodes available or do i have do buy a bunch of single user lics?
    Yes, however they are special order. Please open a support ticket and give us your order request.
  • Does Plexus 2 support motion blur? Or do I have to apply a pixel motion blur?

Thanks.
  • Does Plexus 2 support motion blur? Or do I have to apply a pixel motion blur?
    It's not, you should use ReelSmart Motion Blur or other post mblurs.
  • Plexus is making my Mac Pro run horribly slow. Every time I have to move a layer or even click on a different layer I get the Mac beach ball. This happening for anyone else? I am using AE CC on a Mac Pro that is running 10.9.4.
  • Plexus is making my Mac Pro run horribly slow. Every time I have to move a layer or even click on a different layer I get the Mac beach ball. This happening for anyone else? I am using AE CC on a Mac Pro that is running 10.9.4.
    Do you have any other plugins on the layer?  If so make sure they are not the ones causing the slowdown. Also if you are using null try using lights instead.  Finally check this faq for performance related tips: http://docs.rowbyte.com/plexus/usage_performance/
  • Do you have any other plugins on the layer?  If so make sure they are not the ones causing the slowdown. Also if you are using null try using lights instead.  Finally check this faq for performance related tips: http://docs.rowbyte.com/plexus/usage_performance/
    I don't think I have time to switch out all my nulls to lights at this point. But I'll keep this in mind for my next project.
  • I don't think I have time to switch out all my nulls to lights at this point. But I'll keep this in mind for my next project.
    You can use this tool to swap them quickly: http://provideocoalition.com/pvcexclusive/story/null_swapper_-_plexus_particular_utility_script
  • You can use this tool to swap them quickly: http://provideocoalition.com/pvcexclusive/story/null_swapper_-_plexus_particular_utility_script
    No way! I gotta try this out!!! Thanks!!!!!

UPDATE:
    Well that didn't work well. Screwed up all the locations of my Nulls! Oh well..worth a try. Plexus still horribly slow on AE CC.
  •  Plexus still horribly slow on AE CC.

As noted using nulls is not recommended. This is an issue with the After Effects plugin api and not much we can do about it so please use lights instead.
  • i really don't know why copies have a changing distance with the light,
    and light doesn't show up on original point.

please help me!
     thanks!!
    螢幕快照 2014-08-31 上午2.17.15.png
    1884 x 1588 - 601K
  • i really don't know why copies have a changing distance with the light,
    and light doesn't show up on original point.
    Check your settings on the points renderer.