BAO Distortion Selector 2
  • Do you have any more instructions somewhere? I can't seem to get this to work... ( on CS6 / OS X / 10.8.5 )... I can load it in AE CS6, and I've tried following the steps from your video... but I cannot get distortion happening in just one masked area... Any advice appreciated....
  • Hi Sean,

can you send me a file where you tried to apply the script?
    May be I can figure out what's going wrong...
    If everything works on my side, I'll make a screen cast and do it 'live'.

You can open a support ticket to send us the file.  Also provide and screenshots that shows what you are seeing.

Cheers,
    François
  • Hello,

I also can't get it to work (AE CC, OSX 10.7). It seems to have no effect. It creates the Mapp comp but doesn't add anything to my layer. I've created masks and no effect. 

Maybe a demo video at a resolution where we can see how it's supposed to be applied would be helpful. 

Thanks,
    -Eric
  • Hi Eric,

I'll make a new video.

Cheers,
    François
  • Bonjour Francois

ok, i wish i'd checked the comments before purchasing as it doesnt seem to work for me either (AE CC, OSX 10.9.2)
    the masks don't seem to work at all 
    & with luma matte layer i doesnt do anymore than the built-in displacement maps effect.

also i'm assuming that this only works (when it works) with distortion effects,,, and it would not work on other effects like the stylise effects, right?

Merci
    Nicky

• hello again Francois

i was wondering if you could possibly make a ae project which uses distortion selector, which works your end.
    that way could figure if its an issue with the plugin or a compatibility issue. or just me being dumbo
    that said i do feel i followed the instration on your getting started video.
    thanks
    Nicky
  • Hi Nicky,

it seems there is an incompatibility with one version of AE CC.
    All the users who encountered the problem have the script working fine after updating AE. 
    Hope it'll work for you too. Just let me know.

Cheers,
    François

PS: I'm making an aep file, I'll post it when it's ready.
  • And yes, "distortion selector" only works with distortion effects... All the effects involving color changes won't work. I hope it will in a future version, but I must say I couldn't do it yet...

Cheers,
    François
  • Hi Nicky,

a new update is available. I found and fixed the compatibility issue.
    I also added a step by step ae project in the download .zip.

Cheers,
    François
  • salve nicky !  the distortion selector would make a 2D image distorted in z space ? I'd like to distort a masked leaf to make it float while falling
    with a photographic real feel instead of an animated.  also I'd like to make an image of a hill to seem 3D with volume in background.
    thanks RomanBRuni
  • Hi Roman,

distortion selector won't give you 3D control. However, you can mimic it easily by using a z-depth map and geometry effect (for example). If you set the geometry's effect's scale to, let's say 50%, the white part of the z-depth will be distorted to 50% and the black to 100%, with all the interpolation you need inbetween.
    But you won't be able to turn around the shape (or it'll ask you some more work...)

Hope it helps,
    Cheers,
    François
  • Hello. I'm having issues working with the Distortion Selector (AE CC 14, OSX 10.8.5.). To test the plug-in, I created a Solid and applied Turbulent Displace.

When I select Turbulent Displace and hit Generate Map a new layer appears above the Solid but I don't see a mask. When I try to Add Mask nothing happens.

I've tried a plethora of different combinations to no avail. Perhaps it's because I have AE14? Let me know what you think. I'm excited to use this plug-in!
  • Hi Cory,

I'm using the script with CC 14, and have no issue, so it must come from something else...
    Do you get any error message ?
    Also, did you try to follow the "Step_by_step" project in the download folder? If not yet, just give it a try.

If you still have issues, please open a support ticket and provide an .aep file so we can check it out.

Cheers,
    François
  • Hey Leroy, 

I'm using CC15 and it seems like this script doesn't work for me. When I try to click generate map (having a Turbulance Displacement effect selected) it only generates a precomp named "Mapp_(orginal name)" that have three layers that have the same displacement effect as the original on them, connected to the orignals properties. However, no mask layer, no effect controller on the original.

Is this a compability problem or am I doing something wrong?

Thanks,
    Gillis 
  • Hi Gillis,

sorry for the late reply. Can you open a support ticket and send me your .aep file? (no sources needed)
    Cheers,
    François
  • Hi Leroy, 

Does the plugin only work with solids?
    Like the others using it, i get the error of a precomp named "Mapp_(original name) and with the same content as Gillis, when trying to use it with shapes.
    I downloaded the link because i needed to distort shapes, but so far i've only managed to make it work on a solid, and that wont do me any good for the animation. 

Am i doing something wrong?

Kind regards, 
    Cecilie

• Hi Leroy, 

Does the plugin only work with solids?
    Like the others using it, i get the error of a precomp named "Mapp_(original name) and with the same content as Gillis, when trying to use it with shapes.
    I downloaded the link because i needed to distort shapes, but so far i've only managed to make it work on a solid, and that wont do me any good for the animation. 

Am i doing something wrong?

Kind regards, 
    Cecilie

Hi,

can you open a support ticket and send me your project, so I can have a look?

Cheers,
    François
  • The Key doesn't work anymore... :-(
  • The Key doesn't work anymore... :-(
    Hi,

if you have a registration issue, please open a support ticket.

Cheers,
    François
  • Is there a better tutorial on this?  I've been trying to trouble shoot it for months and I can't get it to work at all.  What a waste of money.

-Jen
  • Is there a better tutorial on this?  I've been trying to trouble shoot it for months and I can't get it to work at all.  What a waste of money.

-Jen
    Hi,

sorry but there's no other tutorial.
    If you have troubles using it, just open a support ticket and send me your project, I'll be happy to help.

Cheers,
    François
  • Hello - The softness seems to have no effect at all. I see in your comments somewhere you mentioned using the mask feather tool to "gain finer control" or something like that. Why would we need the mask feather tool if your softness slider were to work?
    Also, PLEASE don't ask me to open a support ticket. I really don't understand developers on this site using that tactic. Why not just try to help us out here on the forum where users can SHARE what they find? It seems so counter-productive to say "open a support ticket" then we can go off in private and see what the issues/remedies might be. I truly do not get this approach.
  • Hello - The softness seems to have no effect at all. I see in your comments somewhere you mentioned using the mask feather tool to "gain finer control" or something like that. Why would we need the mask feather tool if your softness slider were to work?
    Also, PLEASE don't ask me to open a support ticket. I really don't understand developers on this site using that tactic. Why not just try to help us out here on the forum where users can SHARE what they find? It seems so counter-productive to say "open a support ticket" then we can go off in private and see what the issues/remedies might be. I truly do not get this approach.
    Hi,

the softness slider and mask feather act in 2 different ways.
    Softness makes the distortion smoother. It acts like a blur effect on the distortion map.
    Mask feather acts on the area affected by the distortion.

And I agree, forums are useful to share knowledge, that's why we're using it. But for more specific questions, it's difficult for me to answer without seeing the project. In your case, I don't know why the softness slider have no effect (it works fine on my side). In order to help you, I need to open your project, and to do so, you need to open... a support ticket :-)
    I'll be happy to help, and if your project helps me find any bug in the script, I'll fix it and everyone will benefit from it.

Cheers,
    François
  • Having some issues with this out of the blue. Getting what looks like some tearing / pixelation when I apply it. See attached. Any advice?
    Screenshot 2024-01-19 at 8.34.40 AM.png
    1462 x 1132 - 771K
  • Having some issues with this out of the blue. Getting what looks like some tearing / pixelation when I apply it. See attached. Any advice?
    Hi,
    this is due to your project bit depth. For precise distortion, you'll need to switch to 16bpc or 32bpcx.

Cheers,
    François